• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Trojan X

Banned
Ledsen said:
Holy shit just got my Future Press Limited Edition Guide... this thing is so fucking sexy it makes me want to play Bayonetta and only Bayonetta for the next 10 years, until I master everything this masterpiece has to teach me. 400+ pages of exquisitely layouted, tightly packed information (there's SO MUCH TEXT) about every little tiny detail you would ever need, and more than a few you didn't even know you needed until you read this book. I feel compelled to write a thank you-letter to Future Press, because this is one of the most awesome things I've seen in my entire life. So. Fucking. Awesome.

Just look at this shit (not my pictures)

35n10te.jpg

dh33bp.jpg

4jq9sh.jpg

2expjt1.jpg

2igcd4j.jpg

65nzw1.jpg

2ronzuu.jpg

If you give me your letter then I'll send it directly to the guy who wrote that guide.

I hope you are also enjoying the reference videos that should be online.

Curufinwe

The guide is awesome, but I haven't looked at any of the videos yet.

rezuth said:
I think installing would help more but you can always try. I played it installed on my hd with 720p and it only teared on that second stage for like 3 mins. Nothing besides that that I can recall.

I have installed the game, but I only have got up to the end of level 2. Glad to hear that the tearing issues are specific to that level.

Curufinwe

Ledsen said:
Yeah I had the same experience, even if tutorial is set to "on" in the menu the tutorial only appears on a new game.

You can actually get to a version of the Tutorial with an angel to kick around by just going to the Gates of Hell and trying out a new move. The angel hardly takes any damage on Normal and the directions for the new move take up a lot of the screen, but it's much better than starting a New game just to train with a punching bag.

I was finally able to figure out the timing for jump canceling out the Air->PPPKK combo that the guide recommending using to practice, and I'm pretty pleased since I never really got the hang of it in DMC 3 or 4.

I finished level 3 tonight and have clocked up 11 hours so far, and I'm loving the game as much as I hoped I would. I was having a really tough time with the last Alfheim Portal on level 3 where only Wicked Weaves do damage, and I was starting to question the advice in the guide. Then I realized that the little picture of Shuraba meant that I should be using that weapon for this challenge, and it became a breeze.

I have so goddamn many problems with this game. I've made it to chapter 6 and basically the last few chapters have been kicking my ass. The hardest chapters have been 2 and 5. I've thrown my controller three times already - this game is dangerous to my health.

I'm not sure if I'm ready for this game. I dodge shitloads but enemies are too quick or their attack queues are too vague. Finishing Grace and Glory fights with more than 20% of my health left is basically left to lucky dodging. And the other big enemies are basically the same. Why can't I get better? Why can't I intentionally D-O? This fucking game is turning to hell on normal and I need better odds than this. I have the shotgun, the sword, the whip, and Durga for weapons and the only accessory I have is Selene's Light. What are items that will make the game easier? There needs to be some way to make the game harder than easy and easier than normal.

P.S. How does Durga work? How do you switch between fire and lightning? What are their differences besides speed?

Jintor

Differeing combos for Durga. Think lightning combos are identicle to gun combos. Circle stick and... um... punch or kick to change modes.

Do you use the other weapons? Just learn to PKP or other combos that activate wicked weaves for max damage (PPKKK, PPKP etc) so you know which ones you're in the middle of and can plan ahead slightly. Grace and Glory are best dealt with by shotguns. Don't worry about the whip unless you really like to climb.

You'll get it man. No worries. Just takes time.

iammeiam

ChoklitReign said:
What are items that will make the game easier? There needs to be some way to make the game harder than easy and easier than normal.

I think when I hit a wall in my initial playthrough, I got around it by essentially rerunning the first couple of levels a few times, grinding materials to mass-produce the health and invincibility lollipops. Rerunning the easier early levels can make it easier to get combat rhythms down (especially when you unlock a new weapon), and then you can just pop a yellow lollipop before a Grace + Glory fight for time-limited immortality that lets you focus more on your combos and their attack patterns since they can't break your combos early on. Beat the crap out of one of them, pick up the claws, and then go to town on the other.

It does affect your score, and using the lollipops too much does amount to making the game way, way too easy, but I'm freaking terrible at video games and that strategy eventually got me used to combat enough that Grace & Glory in hard mode weren't a big deal.

Ronabo

There's a whip in the game?

I beat it on normal, never saw a whip. Loved the game though. I found that the charge move on the Lighting claw tore up the game.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
ChoklitReign said:
I have so goddamn many problems with this game. I've made it to chapter 6 and basically the last few chapters have been kicking my ass. The hardest chapters have been 2 and 5. I've thrown my controller three times already - this game is dangerous to my health.

I'm not sure if I'm ready for this game. I dodge shitloads but enemies are too quick or their attack queues are too vague. Finishing Grace and Glory fights with more than 20% of my health left is basically left to lucky dodging. And the other big enemies are basically the same. Why can't I get better? Why can't I intentionally D-O? This fucking game is turning to hell on normal and I need better odds than this. I have the shotgun, the sword, the whip, and Durga for weapons and the only accessory I have is Selene's Light. What are items that will make the game easier? There needs to be some way to make the game harder than easy and easier than normal.

P.S. How does Durga work? How do you switch between fire and lightning? What are their differences besides speed?

Normal can actually be the most ass kicking if you're going in without the padding Very Easy and Easy give to your halos and recovery items, you also don't have as much health or magic since you haven't found or bought hearts or pearls.

The real short answer is: Use items like crazy. Health, invincibility, damage items. Forget the score at the end of the level, it's waaaay easier to get a better score when you replay than the first time you go through. You know attack patterns, you have all the items, you know what you're doing. Ignore the score for now and get used to seeing that fat Stone bastard.

You can basically beat the game on any difficulty if you grind through it with items, but your score will suffer. And that's okay! That's where the challenge and the fun is. I'd also recommend using a guide for finding unlockables; they're really not hidden in any clever or particularly fun to find way. Alfheims almost always involve backtracking, blargh.

You might try turning the music off and playing with headphones so you can hear sound cues for enemy attacks better so they're easier to dodge. Keep in mind enemies can't attack you if they're off screen, but they will attack the second they do get on screen.

Any LP piece you find can be completed on the level you found it on, so if you have any incomplete LPs you can replay the level and look for the missing pieces.

If the game is really, really frustrating to you on Normal don't be afraid to drop it to easy. Seriously. All you're basically doing is making it easier to learn how to *really* play the game. The game has an enormous learning curve, but it makes a real effort to make the slope as gentle as it can. The game is a lot of fun to replay for score, anyway. Big emphasis on replay.

Jintor

Yep. First time through is the frustrating i don't know what I'm doing experience which is saved by awesome music and ridiculous cutscenes. Second time through is when you'll start thinking you know what you're doing. Third time through you'll think that again. And then suddenly you'll realise you have 75 hours racked up and all you're doing is trying to beat that ****ing Lost Chapter and just dying all the time because you don't have the patience to heal up by taunting after every battle :p

Ronabo said:

I beat it on normal, never saw a whip. Loved the game though. I found that the charge move on the Lighting claw tore up the game.

You probably haven't seen a lot of the weapons if you only played through once.

Gravijah

Net_Wrecker said:
You probably haven't seen a lot of the weapons if you only played through once.

Very easy to miss them.

Speaking of frustrating parts, the only part I had trouble with at first was
the two headed dragon boss on normal. Annoying as hell.

Really, the bosses on Hard/NSIC are easy as hell compared to the annoying ass monsters.

Gravijah said:
Very easy to miss them.

Not to mention 2 of them unlock by beating the harder difficulties respectively, one requires a TON of chapter playthroughs, and one requires a ton of time, money, and effort.

All completely worth it. Still my GOTY.

Gravijah

Net_Wrecker said:
Not to mention 2 of them unlock by beating the harder difficulties respectively, one requires a TON of chapter playthroughs, and one requires a ton of time, money, and effort.

All completely worth it. Still my GOTY.

Yep, one of the few games I have ever replayed immediately after beating. Hell, one of the few games I even bothered beating on the highest difficulty.

Ledsen

Ronabo said:

Dude there are 12 different weapons in the game.

Jintor

Gravijah said:
Very easy to miss them.

Speaking of frustrating parts, the only part I had trouble with at first was
the two headed dragon boss on normal. Annoying as hell.

Really, the bosses on Hard/NSIC are easy as hell compared to the annoying ass monsters.

Fortitudo was the most epic goddamn boss

so epic the first time when I had no idea what I was doing

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Phew, recently finised on Infinite Climax mode and got my 1000G. Goodness grief!
I'll be taking a break for a while before I attempt Angel Slayer seriously. Like Narayan, I'll probably be playing Vanquish pretty solidly anyhoo :D

All those people finishing up on hard and trying out new weapons, good luck to ya!

ChoklitReign said:
How do you switch between fire and lightning? What are their differences besides speed?

Same as Bullet Climax: Spin-left stick and hit punch(if it's equipped to your hands) or kick(if it's equipped to your feet).

Fire's charge attack does way more damage with more range than Lightning, but only if you're at least 3 moves into a combo string(the damage of the charge varies depending on how far into the string you are).

Lightning's charge does consistent damage regardless of any circumstances.

Lightning makes a good hand weapon and Fire makes a good leg weapon.

Gravijah

Fimbulvetr said:
Same as Bullet Climax: Spin-left stick and hit punch(if it's equipped to your hands) or kick(if it's equipped to your feet).

Fire's charge attack does way more damage with more range than Lightning, but only if you're at least 3 moves into a combo string(the damage of the charge varies depending on how far into the string you are).

Lightning's charge does consistent damage regardless of any circumstances.

Lightning makes a good hand weapon and Fire makes a good leg weapon.

charged fire kick thing = yeeeeeeeees

ChoklitReign said:
I dodge shitloads but enemies are too quick or their attack queues are too vague. Finishing Grace and Glory fights with more than 20% of my health left is basically left to lucky dodging. And the other big enemies are basically the same. Why can't I get better?

Do you mean attack cues? Grace and Glory are pretty fast, but all enemies attacks are slow enough to give an experienced gamer time to recognize and dodge in time. Dodging has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with reaction times. Just keep learning and practicing each enemy's attack.

As for making the game easier.. kilgore glitch (which is cheating, but whatever), and farm halos and buy some good weapons/accessories.

I agree the bosses on Hard/NSIC mode are not that bad.. all they do is more damage, which if you've figured out their patterns already, won't make a difference because you won't be taking any.

Tried playing this recently. Put about 2+ hours into it, but decided to stop. Despite having a controller in my hand the whole time, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching someone else playing. I just could not figure out what the hell was going on most of the time. Lol. Not my kind of game, I guess.

Giolon

RadarScope1 said:
Tried playing this recently. Put about 2+ hours into it, but decided to stop. Despite having a controller in my hand the whole time, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching someone else playing. I just could not figure out what the hell was going on most of the time. Lol. Not my kind of game, I guess.

Stop playing on Easy Mode. :D

RadarScope1 said:
Do you play Easy or Very Easy mode with Automatic standing next to it ?

Ledsen

RadarScope1 said:

Instead of giving up, try practicing some combos in the training mode (press select/back during loading). You'll get the hang of it, there's not some magical quality to the game that makes only certain people able to "get it". It simply takes a little practice :)

Got the PS3 version and finished it on normal last week.

Good game with excellent combat but not as good as Ninja Gaiden Black for me and not as enjoyable as GOW series.

Game was incredibly cheesy to the point I skipped most of the cut scenes so I have no idea what the game is about :lol

Hated the repeated bosses (gave me flash backs of DMC4 repeated bosses)

Really disliked the shooting missile section and the race bike section.

Some of the level designs were really good and i liked the boss fights and the soundtrack

Glix

I beat this back when it came out.

I feel like I just powered my way through it, I didn't really learn that much, as evidenced by the fact that I can't get ANYWHERE in hard mode...

I'd love to pick it back up again one day, but not right now...

Monocle

Indeed. Pretty much all of XLHGladiator's Bayonetta videos are brain-melting insanity. You'd better believe I've subscribed.

mjemirzian said:
Kilgore glitch.
Uses a turbo controller.
Mashes dodge as Jeanne because she has infinite dodges.
What's not to like?
Everyone's a critic. Watch his No Kilgore Glitch + No Pulley's Butterfly NSIC Perfect Platinum playthrough and you'll probably be a little less cynical.

Monocle said:
Indeed. Pretty much all of XLHGladiator's Bayonetta videos are brain-melting insanity. You'd better believe I've subscribed.

Everyone's a critic. Watch his No Kilgore Glitch + No Pulley's Butterfly NSIC Perfect Platinum playthrough and you'll probably be a little less cynical.

Derp. I did the same thing. And wrote the best free english Bayonetta guide at the same time. And if he doesn't use the kilgore glitch in his 'playthrough', why is he using it in that video?

Brain melting insanity is some of the Japanese player vids. This guy is nothing special.

mjemirzian said:
Kilgore glitch.
Uses a turbo controller.
Mashes dodge as Jeanne because she has infinite dodges.
What's not to like?

He doesn't use the Kilgore glitch. He only switches to Kilgore from the Bazillions; not the Durga.

Can you do it with other weapons?

Monocle

mjemirzian said:
Derp. I did the same thing. And wrote the best free english Bayonetta guide at the same time. And if he doesn't use the kilgore glitch in his 'playthrough', why is he using it in that video?
No need to be a jackass. If you're going to dismiss an excellent Bayonetta player on the basis of one video, I'm going to point out why you're wrong to do so.

Brain melting insanity is some of the Japanese player vids. This guy is nothing special.
I don't see any links.

Fimbulvetr said:
He doesn't use the Kilgore glitch. He only switches to Kilgore from the Bazillions; not the Durga.

The kilgore glitch still activates off other weapons, it's just not as powerful. But it's still more missiles than the 4 you would get from performing the non-glitched PPPPK w/ kilgore legs attack.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The gaze of despair feels almost like turbo mode for me, especially on Infinite Climax. I beat it when it came out, but I'm trying to go back and get all of the other secret items and modes now.

mjemirzian said:
The kilgore glitch still activates off other weapons, it's just not as powerful. But it's still more missiles than the 4 you would get from performing the non-glitched PPPPK w/ kilgore legs attack.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that.

Fimbulvetr said:
Oh, I wasn't aware of that.

Yes, the way the glitch works is that each 'projectile' that is sent from Bayonetta's legs is converted into a missile. In the case of bazillions, it would be the orange pulses being sent out. In the case of durga, it will be those numerous flame looking arrow projectiles.. which is why it spews out so many missiles.

Jintor said:
Fortitudo was the most epic goddamn boss

so epic the first time when I had no idea what I was doing
Same. I got a stone award even though I had fun. It took awhile to kill the second head and I took a lot of damage during the final stage. But that's how you do a boss battle.

This game is great, but it mashes my R2 button terribly, I know it's either me pulling it too hard or a defective controller, but I've had to replace the spring 5 times now and it always breaks during Bayonetta sessions. Playing through on Hard and sucking really, but getting through it, though I cannot get the hang of fighting Grace/Glory and Gracious/Glorious, they just slash me out of combos nearly every time. Then again I am playing with no witch-time in preperation for NSIC mode...

Boy, I really revived this thread :lol You gave me great tips and I just have to take the game slower to adjust to it. I just want to farm for halos and buy all the stuff before I care about improving my trophies. One last question: how do you kill the angels when you're protecting
Bayonetta's daughter? I'm talking about the second time after you get the Mother's Love achievement.

Rctdaemon

ChoklitReign said:
Boy, I really revived this thread :lol You gave me great tips and I just have to take the game slower to adjust to it. I just want to farm for halos and buy all the stuff before I care about improving my trophies. One last question: how do you kill the angels when you're protecting
Bayonetta's daughter? I'm talking about the second time after you get the Mother's Love achievement.
If I remember this part correctly,
you have to use environmental weapons like the lamp post.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bah, how to evade the huge red blast attack sent by the clone of the Vacuum Cleaner boss (what's his/her/its name? Temperamentia?) during the Anti-Aircraft Gun fight in the tower? God this fight draaagggggsss oon so much because you have to rely on the guns to damage the bastard.

I can't seem to evade the huge blast attack. Any tips?

Top Bottom