• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Finally got around to finishing this, and man, I did not feel it AT ALL. The action is ridiculously crazy but left me totally unsatisfied. The CRAY-ZAY combos and silly moves were funny for a few hours, but it was hard to appreciate what she was actually doing or if it looked like it would even hurt somebody so I ended up just dialing the useful combos in robotically (the ones that made health bars seem to drop faster, that's the only way I could tell one combo was more vicious and effective than another) while watching the enemy for my cue to dodge, then resume dialing. I wouldn't even be able to identify what my favorite moves were, just my favorite button combinations.

Maybe I just don't "get" the action, but I know for sure I just plain disliked most of the rest of the game, with its illogical and arbitrary level design, interminable vehicle sequences, annoying bonus mini-game, and outrageously abundant and LONG cutscenes. Hell, even after going back to replay levels on a higher difficulty, it was unforgivably tedious just going through the procedure to skip these cutscenes every 2 minutes. Murders the flow of the action. There's some great deliberate camp value in the story and cutscenes but even THAT is overdone to boredom.

This venting post is harsh, I know a lot of people love this game, but yeah, just about everything about this game annoyed me aside from the music and some of the art direction in the backgrounds. I'll probably appreciate Devil May Cry a lot more the next time I play it, that seems to be at the limit of what kind of zaniness I can tolerate in an action game like this.

revolverjgw said:
Hell, even after going back to replay levels on a higher difficulty, it was unforgivably tedious just going through the procedure to skip these cutscenes every 2 minutes.
Right Trigger + Back Button for instant skip is unforgivably tedious :lol
If you wanted to complain about the QTE's I'd be on your side, but come on!

Curufinwe said:
When I beat the first Alfheim Portal on Chapter 12 on Hard I was grinning from ear to ear. So much fun, and so spectacular looking, even though I wasn't quite up to this guy's standard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4_1d_iVgw#t=5m20s

Wait, when enemies are berserk they will ignore Bayonetta's body during an OoB battle?

Or was it just because he took the fight to them.

If it's the former, that's actually pretty clever.

Curufinwe

He has the Gaze of Despair equipped. Trying to beat the Out of Body Alfheim Portals without using it is a recipe for going insane.

It can also be helpful on other APs, like Chapter 6 Verse 4 which might be the hardest one in the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Curufinwe said:
When I beat the first Alfheim Portal on Chapter 12 on Hard I was grinning from ear to ear. So much fun, and so spectacular looking, even though I wasn't quite up to this guy's standard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4_1d_iVgw#t=5m20s
there was some doubt in mind about Bayonetta's goty status, but uh, yeah, far and away the best game released this year.

Curufinwe said:
He has the Gaze of Despair equipped. Trying to beat the Out of Body Alfheim Portals without using it is a recipe for going insane.

I did all of my OoB battles without it, didn't take that many tries.

Curufinwe

Playing on NSIC with the Evil Harvest Rosary feels a lot different to me than playing on Hard where I was overly dependent on Witch Time, but it might be even more fun.

Another useful tip I got from the Guide today - use the Onyx Roses to fight those annoying wheel things and you can kind of freeze them by holding P.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
revolverjgw said:
Hell, even after going back to replay levels on a higher difficulty, it was unforgivably tedious just going through the procedure to skip these cutscenes every 2 minutes.

Christ, you kids today.

When I was your age, if we wanted to skip a cutscene, we had to take the disc out of the drive and carve that "CINEMU", as we called them, right off the disc with a screwdriver.

A Phillips screwdriver.

Dull.

Outside.

In the snow.

With wolves.

Kaijima said:
Christ, you kids today.

When I was your age, if we wanted to skip a cutscene, we had to take the disc out of the drive and carve that "CINEMU", as we called them, right off the disc with a screwdriver.

A Phillips screwdriver.

Dull.

Outside.

In the snow.

With wolves.
Gamers are pussies, these days. They want games that are movies, they want games to hold their hands all the time, they only want to play first-person shooters that have auto-aim, they complain if a game is too hard, they complain if they have to do anything to skip a cutscene, they complain if you have to learn the mechanics of a game to get good at it, etc. What is this industry coming to?

Just got 1000/1000 Achievements in this brilliant game. My final play through was on Infinite Climax mode which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Overall I absolutely loved Bayonetta, a truly superb game which really moves the genre on nicely. I am glad I played God of War III first because it feels dated as fuck compared to this and I don't think I could of played through it after Bayonetta. However, after all the awesomeness of Bayonetta, it definitely has some low quality levels in the game which I would of removed personally:

Route 666 - Shit. Who wants this? Total junk
Chapter 14 (the Space Harrier/Afterburner level) - Again, shit. Why do I want this in my combat game?
At the very end
when you have to control the final boss into the sun, dodging the planets. SHIT. It's made worse on Hard and Infinite Climax mode due to the planets coming in much closer to you.
. Total shite, make it a cut-scene.

These levels didn't damage the game overall, but there are awful! Anyways, Vanquish time now!

szaromir

Banned
semiconscious said:
so true (memories of heads exploding over resonance of fate, followed by 'the mechanics suck! :) ). can't imagine wanting every game to play like every other game...
His rant wouldbe true if QTEs weren't the most difficult and annoying part of Bayonetta and if the game didn't have too many terrible cutscenes.

Gamers are pussies, these days. They want games that are movies, they want games to hold their hands all the time, they only want to play first-person shooters that have auto-aim, they complain if a game is too hard, they complain if they have to do anything to skip a cutscene, they complain if you have to learn the mechanics of a game to get good at it, etc. What is this industry coming to?
He probably didn't know about the fast cutscene skip button. No surprise since it's undocumented. A fast skip button to get to the action without tedium is a good thing, and lumping it in with gamers wanting easy games is completely illogical.

KennyLinder said:
These levels didn't damage the game overall, but there are awful! Anyways, Vanquish time now!
Calling something shit because it's different from the rest of the game, despite being well designed on its own. lol

szaromir said:
His rant wouldbe true if QTEs weren't the most difficult and annoying part of Bayonetta and if the game didn't have too many terrible cutscenes.
Uhh no.. I'm going to rate getting Pure Platinums legitimately on every verse to be more difficult than the simple button prompt QTEs.

Sagitario

KennyLinder said:
J
Route 666 - Shit. Who wants this? Total junk
Chapter 14 (the Space Harrier/Afterburner level) - Again, shit. Why do I want this in my combat game?
At the very end
when you have to control the final boss into the sun, dodging the planets. SHIT. It's made worse on Hard and Infinite Climax mode due to the planets coming in much closer to you.
. Total shite, make it a cut-scene.

Totally agree.
I still can't believe they put the best boss fight in Chapter 14.

Punch used to be X? Thank god that was fixed.

All finishers activate Witch Time? That would be broken as hell.:lol

Special move at 12:41 was wow.

chriskun

Its funny to see people that can't handle any sort of criticism of this game whatsoever :lol Bayonetta would have definitely been a better game without all the non hand to hand combat parts, and without so many retarded cutscenes. Sure you can quick skip them, but every time you hit those buttons, its a reminder of the horrific experience you once had to endure. Fucking awesome game though.

Curufinwe

A lot of the cutscenes were very stylish & entertaining.

I got the final Achievement last night and my save time is around 70 hours, but I still have stuff left to do. Insanely deep game.

.la1n

Sagitario said:
I really really like that old interface [silhouettes, moon circles, hearts]... release it as DLC and I will play the game again :lol

I also like the prototype time freezing effect better.

I agree although I don't need DLC to play the game over and over. Would be neat though if it was free or unlockable (obviously not the latter.)

Balboa

I've been playing through this game but I'm wondering how the save system works. At the moment I'm finishing the chapter before I save and quit just to be safe, are the checkpoints only there for continuing when you die or can I resume from a checkpoint next time I load up the game if I quit during the level?

Monocle

Balboa said:
I've been playing through this game but I'm wondering how the save system works. At the moment I'm finishing the chapter before I save and quit just to be safe, are the checkpoints only there for continuing when you die or can I resume from a checkpoint next time I load up the game if I quit during the level?
This, by choosing the Continue option on the main menu.

Curufinwe

Balboa said:

If you're in the middle of a chapter you can exit out the title screen, and then you can continue from the start of the latest verse you got up to. The game auto saves so you can turn the console off at the title screen without manually saving.

This means you can restart each verse as many times as you like if you're trying to get a good ranking.

Jintor

george_us said:
It could be the framerate but that looks so slow.

I know!

I like hearing the track that was going to become "One of a Kind" though. It's really cool - you can hear most of the body, but they hadn't quite hit that beginning just yet

HYDE

Banned
I have looked absolutely everywhere that I can think of.
Are there high resolution pictures anywhere of Bayonetta's full arsenal?
Including Taifon (or Taifung), Pillow Talk, and Bazillions.
Even Jeanne's alternates would be awesome as well.
Please, anyone have these drawings or even pictures.

Pakkidis

I just got this game and I'm on chapter 9. I am really enjoying it so far except for the cheesy cut scenes. Sadly, right now I just seem to be button mashing and dodging. Any tips for a semi newbie? What weapons/accessories are good?

The boss battles in this game have to be the best I've seen this generation. Any other boss battle does not even compare to this.

HYDE said:
I have look absolutely everywhere that I can think of.
Are there high resolution pictures anywhere of Bayonetta's full arsenal?
Including Taifon (or Taifung), Pillow Talk, and Bazillions.
Even Jeanne's alternates would be awesome as well.
Please, anyone have these drawings or even pictures.

Sai, not Tai.

Scarborough Fair(Pistols)
Onyx Roses(Shotguns)
Shuraba(Katana)
Kulshedra(Whip)
Odette(Ice Skates)
Durga(Claws)
Lt.Kilgore(Rocket Tonfas)

That's all I could find.

HYDE

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

Thanks for the effort.:D
Yeah, I've found all those, but I really want the three I mentioned.
Please gimme some Saifon/Saifung, Pillow Talk, and Bazillions love.
And also the alternate Jeanne stuff, pretty please.
I know the eyes of Bayonetta has some stuff, but can't find all the scans.
Can someone please get me these, even if they are off of an artbook of some sort.
Unless =ban, then nevermind.

TreIII

This build of Bayo really makes it look like they were trying to go with a "Viewtiful Joe" type of game play system. She even gets a separate meter to initiate her own Witch Time, no less! :lol

I do like the way the level design though. And it's really a shame that Bike didn't get used more. It just makes the fact that Jeanne did for her boss all the more painful. :lol

Minamu

Can someone re-upload those beta vids? They're crazy slow and stop playing randomly even though they have downloaded more bits.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Her hair shortening with witch meter running out is a cool touch

Guess they kind of referenced that mechanic with Bayonetta letting her hair out for boss fights(and gaining weave moves on all her attacks for some)

Curufinwe

Pakkidis said:
I just got this game and I'm on chapter 9. I am really enjoying it so far except for the cheesy cut scenes. Sadly, right now I just seem to be button mashing and dodging. Any tips for a semi newbie? What weapons/accessories are good?

Buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and learn how to parry (and perfect parry) by replaying the Vestibule.

"Try" a technique in Rodin's Store to get a punching bag enemy to practice on.

Learn how to use Dodge Offset consistently, at least with PKP. Beast Within Offset is really helpful, too, although I only started using it when I was having trouble with Joys on Hard.

Shuraba (hands) and Durga - fire (feet) is probably the most well rounded weapon combination. Be sure to use Durga bombs on tough enemies by holding K. Those flying boats can be destroyed in one PPP combo if you equip Durga - fire (hands) and hold P to conjure a bomb for each strike.

Easily earn plenty of Halos by replaying Chapter 7 using Durga - lightning on both hands and feet and using punch attacks over and over. Equipping the Gaze of Despair and Selene's light in this Chapter will help you earn even more Halos.

Try and find every Alfheim Portal (or just use a location guide) and then try to finish them all, even if you're having trouble. Replaying the APs is a great way to move past the button mashing stage.

Steroyd

Completed Bayonetta yesterday, enjoyed most of it, except the parts where I'm not fighting (Highway 666 and begginning of chapter 14 I'm looking at you), both parts overstayed their welcome and felt like I wasn't getting any closer to my goal
last chapter with Jeanne on the motorbike was more tolerable because of this.

Went back to get everything and holy crap, there is no way you can find most of the stuff without a walkthrough, I let that shit fly in RPG's but this is an action game goddamnit.

Top Bottom