• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Curufinwe

Just in case anyone didn't know, you can easily get Platinum medals for the first two Verses of Chapter 14 (and get the Fire the Afterburners Achievement/Trophy) by switching to Easy.

And if you stop once you get the Achievement and don't do Verse 3, you won't get a grade for Chapter 14 on Easy in your Play History.

I started Bayonetta last Sunday and put it simply, WOW! This might be my new game of the year.

I've been yearning for Capcom to remake Devil Mary Cry 3 in HD and this game is that and then some, this might have the best combat engine ever.

My only complaints are the slowdown that occurs at certain moments during gameplay and the fact that hard isn't unlocked at the start. (I wanted the whole decimation feeling that the original Ed. of DMC3 had)

I have two questions
1. Is there a way to see level stats?
2. What's are some good accessories? I've spent all my halos so far on weapons and techniques. Currently at Chapter 7 with ~200k rings in the bank.

Kccitystar

AwakenedCloud said:
I started Bayonetta last Sunday and put it simply, WOW! This might be my new game of the year.

I've been yearning for Capcom to remake Devil Mary Cry 3 in HD and this game is that and then some, this might have the best combat engine ever.

My only complaints are the slowdown that occurs at certain moments during gameplay and the fact that hard isn't unlocked at the start. (I wanted the whole decimation feeling that the original Ed. of DMC3 had)

I have two questions
1. Is there a way to see level stats?
2. What's are some good accessories? I've spent all my halos so far on weapons and techniques. Currently at Chapter 7 with ~200k rings in the bank.

Chapter 7 where you fight that big creature with the tubed hands is where you farm the most halos. On the PS3 version it's capped at 300K halos upon completion I believe but on the X360 version you can make millions.

Also, Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is great as it will cancel an attack similar to a parry, and combining that with the Evil Harvest Rosary works wonders on Non-Stop Infinite Climax difficulty since Witch Time is disabled.

Kccitystar

AwakenedCloud said:
Thanks to both of you for the advice. So... there's no way to view what rank you have on a stage?

Before you go to the next chapter, where it gives you the option to Start, Save or go to The Gates of Hell, press R1 (RB on X360 version, not sure which one you have) to bring up the side menu and go to Play History. It will show every award you have gotten for the chapters you completed, sorted by difficulty.

Kccitystar

Curufinwe said:
Heh heh heh heh heh....
bam.

I got a lot of golds in my Play History. :D
Yeah, once you get the Beast Within ability you can shorten your time but I don't know of any other way to do so :/

Curufinwe

Actually, I got a lot of golds mainly because I would do well enough for a Platinum but then I would manage to die once on a QTE or an insta-death section.

Dahbomb

I was just writing the review for Bayonetta for the neogaf thread.

I stopped it though because I basically found myself writing about the genius combat/mechanics for over 7 pages on Word. :lol

No seriously, I can't find a way to concisely put why this is the best in its genre based solely on the mechanics.

Dahbomb said:

I stopped it though because I basically found myself writing about the genius combat/mechanics for over 7 pages on Word. :lol

No seriously, I can't find a way to concisely put why this is the best in its genre based solely on the mechanics.

That's kinda what sucks about writing reviews. You wanna go into heavy detail and really explain everything that makes the game tick, but you realize that not everyone wants to stare at mountains of text.

Then there are the things that are really hard to describe.

Dahbomb

It's not that it's hard to describe, it's just that it's hard to do it in a limited amount of text. Plus you have to be mindful about spoilers, I was writing the thing and realized I had spoiled stuff like getting the Panther ability later on and the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa.

*sigh*

I can write a textbook on Bayonetta. :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm not a big fan of the stylish action genre, but I borrowed Bayo from my brother and played through on Normal over the last 2 weeks. Absolutely loved the title, apart from some scenes that would kill you with a QTE quickly if you weren't paying attention. I thought the game had excellent variety, and combat remained pretty interesting (getting timing down for opponents and learning patterns, unlike some hack-slash games where you just mash buttons *cough*GOW*cough*).

One thing that always frustrated me with the game were the enemies with the claws, who moved around real fast and whose combo attack would do so much damage. Was never able to find a good strategy to take care of them.

Yeah definitely the best action game out this gen, maybe I'll go back and beat it on Hard mode... someday ;)

SpokkX

I almost skipped this game.. picked it up cheap last week (360) and oh man am I glad I did

Best 3rd person game I have ever played and also easily the best non Wii-game this year (Galaxy 2 edges it out imo)

Beat the shit out of the borefest that is GoW3 and the unbalanced NG2 or the just mediocre Castlevania.

As one previous poster said it kind of feels like a successor to Devil May Cry 3 (best DMC imo)

also the music is amazing and 60fps feels great (bar some minor slowdown)

Platinum is by far the best japanese developer outside of Nintendo

Dahbomb said:
It's not that it's hard to describe, it's just that it's hard to do it in a limited amount of text. Plus you have to be mindful about spoilers, I was writing the thing and realized I had spoiled stuff like getting the Panther ability later on and the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa.

*sigh*

I'd read it! Post it!

Ledsen

Dahbomb said:

*sigh*

I wouldn't consider game mechanics to be spoilers, well maybe in Metroid or Zelda but not in Bayonetta.

Veelk

Banned
Dahbomb said:

This isn't a bad thing. Quite the opposite. That means is that there is depth to the system. And I really wouldn't worry about people not reading it, because the only people who still come here are the hardcore fans that would LOVE those wall of text anyway, and there is a spoiler highlight feature for this reason. So please, post away.

Dahbomb

Alright guys I am gonna post it here sometime tomorrow. Got some stuff to take care of first and need to finish the "post" as well.

Sagitario

Kccitystar said:
Chapter 7 where you fight that big creature with the tubed hands is where you farm the most halos. On the PS3 version it's capped at 300K halos upon completion I believe but on the X360 version you can make millions.

Also, Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is great as it will cancel an attack similar to a parry, and combining that with the Evil Harvest Rosary works wonders on Non-Stop Infinite Climax difficulty since Witch Time is disabled.

WTF? Really? =|

george_us

Dahbomb said:

*sigh*

You will write Dahbomb, you will write. Let all the world know, through the Hymns of Dahbomb, the greatness of Bayonetta.

sn00zer

Ummmm yeah so a LTTP on this....its...awwwwweeeesssooommmeeee
seriously how a game this crazy even got made is totally beyond me...seriously just organization-wise how the hell do you get a large group of people to create not only an incredible gameplay experience but a supersaturated visually designed one as well

soooo goooodd....

also the bosses are uttrly incredible...all of them....

I really hope people dont forget about this one when GOTY talks start going around. It's probably the best character action game of all time. It's a shame a lot of westerners didn't give it a chance.

sn00zer

CadetMahoney said:
the gameplay is so much better than games like God of War more tailored to casual button mashers that I still play this now and then.
Ehhh...both games have their place
God of War is the heavier, brawler action beat em' up
while Bayonetta is more the Japanese light on your foot kind of action game...love em' both

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My girlfriend bought this one (along with Demon's Souls) with a PS3 last weekend. Looks incredibly awesome. Fits into all my fetishes too!

Thinking of buying a 360 arcade so I could play it myself, instead of sharing. Which sucks!

Game is currently a Lightning Deal on Amazon ($12.99), so a head's up on that (a bit less than five hours to go at time of posting).

I have both consoles, and have heard the rumors about this game, but would really prefer PS3.

Is the difference truly "omg night and day" or is the PS3 version more or less okay?

Thanks!

Kccitystar

NEOPARADIGM said:
Game is currently a Lightning Deal on Amazon ($12.99), so a head's up on that (a bit less than five hours to go at time of posting).

I have both consoles, and have heard the rumors about this game, but would really prefer PS3.

Is the difference truly "omg night and day" or is the PS3 version more or less okay?

Thanks!
The PS3 version of the game has been aided with a patch to try and provide some level of parity by patching in an optional install to relieve loading times. Although some things were optimized with the patch, there are significant hitches when there is a lot of shit going on at once on the screen. Not at all a gamebreaker but a nuisance.

Aaron said:
If you have both consoles, get the 360 version. It's a significant difference.

how terrible is the PS3 version cause thats the one i bought :lol rou ouh

oh, just reading that above my post, thats sorta ok.

can't wait to play it, loved the demo when it was released in January :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Honestly, the only thing that bugged me about the PS3 version was loading to skip cutscenes. Game also looks slightly worse, but I didn't mind.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
In the opening sequence, yeah. 20-30 vs. 50-60. They both fluctuate a lot though. Dipping from 60 to 30.

Emitan

friskykillface said:

The PS3 version is fine. There was a patch that fixed every issue with the game. And you can install to the hard drive to decrease loading times. I just took this game off of my backlog last night and it ran perfectly fine.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Billychu said:
The PS3 version is fine. There was a patch that fixed every issue with the game. And you can install to the hard drive to decrease loading times. I just took this game off of my backlog last night and it ran perfectly fine.

The patch fixed loading. Period. The framerate and image quality are still significantly worse than on the 360. Don't spread misinformation.

(The game is still playable and enjoyable on PS3. If it's your only option, don't hold back.)

Emitan

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The patch fixed loading. Period. The framerate and image quality are still significantly worse than on the 360. Don't spread misinformation.

(The game is still playable and enjoyable on PS3. If it's your only option, don't hold back.)
Besides the opening where you're on that falling clock, I really haven't noticed any slowdown for the 3 hours I've put into the game. But I was also multi tasking while playing, so I wasn't being as attentive as I should.

TreIII

Billychu said:
Besides the opening where you're on that falling clock, I really haven't noticed any slowdown for the 3 hours I've put into the game. But I was also multi tasking while playing, so I wasn't being as attentive as I should.

Wait til later. You'll see exactly where this slow-down will become a factor. :lol

HYDE

Banned
sn00zer said:
while Bayonetta is more the Japanese light on your foot kind of action game...love em' both

Someone gets it.
Both games are awesome.

HYDE

Banned
friskykillface said:

I bought this version, and played through it with no problems, other than being annoyed by the loading.

I own both versions now though, 'cause I like the game that much.

Can someone please add some really rare Bayonetta art for the love of....

sn00zer said:
No. Calling God of War 'heavier' does not hide its fundamental control flaws. Dodge on the right analog stick, poorly designed autotargeting, and long startup animation frames for moves like blocking being the most prominent. That's even before you get to the shallow combat, weapons, and combo systems.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HYDE said:
Bayonetta 2 confirmed, best news yet today.

I can't freakin wait to see it.
????????????

Top Bottom