• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Nert

I've only played through the first three chapters, but the game is great so far. I find the cutscenes to be more irritating than funny, but whatever, I can skip through them; the combat is crazy and a total blast. Along with Batman: Arkhum Asylum (which I finished just a week ago), this is now one of the few games I can think of that really excites me when I realize that a major battle is about to start.

HYDE

Banned
Violater said:
Seriously Fuck the flying ship bosses and whoever thought these would be a good idea to put in the game.
Heat seeking missles
Laser Beam
Heat seeking arms that hold you while everything else hits you
chains
fuck fuck fuck

Someone needs to learn how to trigger witch time a hell of a lot more.:D

And, who the fuck bumped this thread making me think there was news on Bayonetta 2.

Lastly, for the dude who asked if you must like DMC, you can also be a fan of GoW or NG and still like this game.

Veelk

Banned
Violater said:
The last boss sucks, the camera angle is shit, i don't get the love for this game at all.
You just road a motorcycle into space so you could kill god and punch her soul into the sun with enough time to spare to make a music video for the lulz.
If you do not see the glory of Bayonetta now, you will never. Be gone, blind man.

Violater said:
The last boss sucks, the camera angle is shit, i don't get the love for this game at all.

Seriously, are you not an action game fan? Did you play/like DMC? I don't see how anyone can like that and not this unless they have some shallow reasons for it (like the main character being female).

Generic said:
You just road a motorcycle into space so you could kill god and punch his soul into the sun with enough time to spare to make a music video for the lulz.
If you do not see the glory of Bayonetta now, you will never. Be gone, blind man.

Might want to spoiler that ;)

Also it's a she.

HYDE said:
Someone needs to learn how to trigger witch time a hell of a lot more.:D

And, who the fuck bumped this thread making me think there was news on Bayonetta 2.

Lastly, for the dude who asked if you must like DMC, you can also be a fan of GoW or NG and still like this game.
What if you're playing that mode with no witch time? That was the first time I used items. Stupid ships

Violater

By my count this game should have ended 4 sequences ago
Finally.. wait no lol

That was indeed a ride, in the end all bitching and niggles aside I look forward to the sequel.
I have to say Bayonetta has surpassed MGS4 on the insanity chart.
And for the people who have a platinum trophy for this :lol
I would also love to see the mocap session videos :lol

Ledsen

Violater said:

From your posts, it would seem that you kind of suck at the game. Lower it to Easy and remove the Immortal Marionette accessory if you're really getting your ass kicked that hard. The reason people love this game is that you have total control of Bayo at all times, and anytime you die it's your fault and no one else's.

Aaron

Ledsen said:
From your posts, it would seem that you kind of suck at the game. Lower it to Easy and remove the Immortal Marionette accessory if you're really getting your ass kicked that hard. The reason people love this game is that you have total control of Bayo at all times, and anytime you die it's your fault and no one else's.
I've beaten the game on infinite climax, and the last boss really does suck. It's an annoying long sequence, full of bad camera and cheap ass moves. The game would have been better off leaving it out. The boss rush on the second to last level is also lame and no fun.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
that last boss is one of the most amazing things to come out of a videogame ever.

Alx

On the first run I thought the final boss was cheap and annoying too, but once you know what you're doing, how to avoid the instakill attacks etc, it's much faster and more fun. I still prefer the regular stages and opponents, but it's a good finale.

Curufinwe

Alx said:
On the first run I thought the final boss was cheap and annoying too, but once you know what you're doing, how to avoid the instakill attacks etc, it's much faster and more fun. I still prefer the regular stages and opponents, but it's a good finale.

Yeah, I had much more fun fighting the final boss on Hard and NSIC than I did on Normal.

Violater

Alx said:

Thank you very much, as my impressions were the same, until you figure out what needs to be done the game can be frustrating as all hell.
That said in the end I enjoyed it, I never understood why people feel the need to attack you because your opinion differs from theirs about a videogame.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Violater said:
I never understood why people feel the need to attack you because your opinion differs from theirs about a videogame.

2nd fundamental law of gaming.

I've gotten Pure Platinum on every Verse in the game and "cheap" is not how I would describe the last boss.

AWESOME is how I would describe it.

I swear, it's like you people expect games to do everything for you. You even have a lot of camera control in the boss fights. I don't ever recall having any issues with the camera, though. You want a game that has a shitty camera? Play any Ninja Gaiden game. The camera is fucking HORRIBLE in those games.

Alx

The "cheap" impression comes from things like the black hole attack. You have to die more than a few times before you understand how to escape it, and until then it gets really frustrating.
I also have a minor grip in the "wind level", when you have to jump from boulder to boulder, sometimes the "A" prompt doesn't appear when you need it, and you have to move around until it does.

But once you got this learnt, everything is fine.

Violater

Alx said:
The "cheap" impression comes from things like the black hole attack. You have to die more than a few times before you understand how to escape it, and until then it gets really frustrating.
I also have a minor grip in the "wind level", when you have to jump from boulder to boulder, sometimes the "A/X" prompt doesn't appear when you need it, and you have to move around until it does.

But once you got this learnt, everything is fine.

Exactly and the fact that it dragged out longer than it should have.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Got this thanks to Amazon deal...

I am gonna love this game. Holy shit pure fun and amazing battle system. Just.. just... awesome :D :D

Relix said:
Got this thanks to Amazon deal...

I am gonna love this game. Holy shit pure fun and amazing battle system. Just.. just... awesome :D :D
Just wait until you get to the highest difficulty where you don't get witch time. That's when you know you're badass.

Curufinwe

salva said:
Just wait until you get to the highest difficulty where you don't get witch time. That's when you know you're badass.

Just make sure you equip the Evil Harvest Rosary most of the time on NSIC.

JaxJag

Banned
After purchasing Bayonetta at launch, I finally put some more time into it and finished it earlier in the week.

The gameplay is definitely it's strong point, but almost everything else was terrible. I hated the characters, the voice actors, the story, and the music was just awful.

The music was one of the best parts.

I thought the characters were pretty decent (Bayonetta was good, though), but the story was lacking. I usually watch the cutscenes in DMC1 or Viewtiful Joe, but not this game.

Curufinwe

I wish I was getting the soundtrack as a Christmas present, but I don't think my hints were good enough.

And Bayonetta herself has great voice acting.

I just impulsively picked up this game from amazon for $10. Not really my style of game, but man I've heard so much talk about it that I just couldn't pass this up. I'll be playing this and FL:NV when I get back from traveling!

Jintor

JaxJag said:
After purchasing Bayonetta at launch, I finally put some more time into it and finished it earlier in the week.

The gameplay is definitely it's strong point, but almost everything else was terrible. I hated the characters, the voice actors, the story, and the music was just awful.

The hell?

Jintor said:
The hell?

Seriously. Bayo is one of my top 3 soundstracks of this gen. So many great tracks. I think people get so clouded by the main theme that they can't remember how great some of the other tracks are.

Violater

fuzzyreactor said:
just bought it for ps3 couple hours ago. what should i expect?
Good combat, over the top action, and like every other game some things that seek to spoil the fun that you have to look past.

Curufinwe

Net_Wrecker said:
Seriously. Bayo is one of my top 3 soundstracks of this gen. So many great tracks. I think people get so clouded by the main theme that they can't remember how great some of the other tracks are.

I didn't get sick of the Alfheim Portal theme even when I played the same one for three hours straight. It was Verse 4 of Chapter 6 on Hard and I didn't think to equip the Gaze of Despair, so it was incredibly hard for me to beat.

Monocle

I have a suspicion that most people who complain about the soundtrack actually have only two tracks in mind, the battle theme (Mysterious Destiny), and Fly Me to the Moon. It's beyond me how anyone could dislike the boss themes or the ambient music.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, I just got this and played 2 hours.

Ridiculous (in a good way). I was playing it like a button masher at first, but dodging is really important. And I've started to memorize combos in order to really know what I'm doing. I only beat the first chapter but already replayed it twice :lol

I am getting really, really tired of "I don't get the love for this game."

NO SHIT.

VIDEO GAMES MUCH LIKE EVERY OTHER FORM OF SUBJECTIVE ENTERTAINMENT DO NOT CATER TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD YOU INCREDIBLE MORONS

Sometimes there will be games that appeal to wider audiences! Take a game like Uncharted 2, which is more or less agreed to be of an incredible quality, and there are still some detractors that honestly did not have fun with the game. They did not like the game very much based on their criteria for what is fun to them, just like they (and you) may like or dislike certain movies.

Sometimes you disagree with the popular opinion, sometimes you are one of the teeming masses who are part of it and the dissenters don't make sense to you!

The "I don't get the love for this game" thing is like saying "I don't like chicken, how the fuck do people like chicken?" IT'S FUCKING CHICKEN. Some people don't like it! That's totally fine! Stop questioning it as if everyone is in some sort of drug addled state when they form their opinions and you are our Tron.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't get the love for "I don't get the love for this game."

ShockingAlberto said:
I am getting really, really tired of "I don't get the love for this game."

NO SHIT.

VIDEO GAMES MUCH LIKE EVERY OTHER FORM OF SUBJECTIVE ENTERTAINMENT DO NOT CATER TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD YOU INCREDIBLE MORONS

Sometimes there will be games that appeal to wider audiences! Take a game like Uncharted 2, which is more or less agreed to be of an incredible quality, and there are still some detractors that honestly did not have fun with the game. They did not like the game very much based on their criteria for what is fun to them, just like they (and you) may like or dislike certain movies.

Sometimes you disagree with the popular opinion, sometimes you are one of the teeming masses who are part of it and the dissenters don't make sense to you!

The "I don't get the love for this game" thing is like saying "I don't like chicken, how the fuck do people like chicken?" IT'S FUCKING CHICKEN. Some people don't like it! That's totally fine! Stop questioning it as if everyone is in some sort of drug addled state when they form their opinions and you are our Tron.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't get the love for "I don't get the love for this game."

I don't get this post.

Not liking Bayonetta is an illness, and one in that state should seek immediate help from a doctor.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Monocle said:
I have a suspicion that most people who complain about the soundtrack actually have only two tracks in mind, the battle theme (Mysterious Destiny), and Fly Me to the Moon. It's beyond me how anyone could dislike the boss themes or the ambient music.

Even so, while I disliked it at first I quite dig this version of Fly Me To The Moon. Its super cheesy but tons of fun in the context of the game.

But yeah, most people I've heard complaining about the soundtrack seem to always pin it down to "shitty J-POP", when in reality a vast, vast majority of the OST is composed of orchestral scores.

The boss themes are divine.

EatChildren said:
But yeah, most people I've heard complaining about the soundtrack seem to always pin it down to "shitty J-POP", when in reality a vast, vast majority of the OST is composed of orchestral scores.

And Jazz, and Folk Music.

ivysaur12

Banned
The game is *great*, but...

Is the screen tearing really this bad? I started chapter 2 and it was really detracting from the experience. I only really noticed when walking around the town though.

God this story is laughable. It makes it somewhat embarrassing to recommend to friends without a strong caveat :lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The story is poking fun on the genre though, making it awesome. On one hand you have someone who has anger issues and just has a single expression as if it was the 90's again, this one plays with the genre and fucks it hard while being classy.

Ledsen

ivysaur12 said:
The game is *great*, but...

Is the screen tearing really this bad? I started chapter 2 and it was really detracting from the experience. I only really noticed when walking around the town though.

God this story is laughable. It makes it somewhat embarrassing to recommend to friends without a strong caveat :lol

I assume you're playing the PS3 version?

Top Bottom