• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

rataven

Picked this up when Amazon was offering it for $10 thinking it would be an easy thing to pop in now and then, buy ohmygod is it hard! And I love it. Started out on normal and I'm stuck on the Grace/Glory x 2 battle in chapter 6, but I sort of don't care. I've gone back to earlier chapters to try to hone my skills.

And is it normal that I never seem to be able to buy anything at Rodin's shop? Almost everything is way outside my price range.

gutter_trash said:
is there anyplace where we can buy the guide for a reasonable price?
If you're ok with just a PDF of the guide, you can download it for free here - http://www.sega.com/platinumgames/bayonetta/us/index.html :)

rataven said:
And is it normal that I never seem to be able to buy anything at Rodin's shop? Almost everything is way outside my price range.

Buy techniques first.

They're the cheapest stuff in the shop other than Witch Hearts and Moon Pearls.

Ledsen

rataven said:
Picked this up when Amazon was offering it for $10 thinking it would be an easy thing to pop in now and then, buy ohmygod is it hard! And I love it. Started out on normal and I'm stuck on the Grace/Glory x 2 battle in chapter 6, but I sort of don't care. I've gone back to earlier chapters to try to hone my skills.

If you're ok with just a PDF of the guide, you can download it for free here - http://www.sega.com/platinumgames/bayonetta/us/index.html :)

That's not the guide he's talking about... he's talking about the REAL guide, the "OMFG this is the most awesome thing I've seen in my entire life"-guide. (the European one):

bayonetta-guide-1.jpg

bayonetta-guide-00.jpg

4452852627_a32f182544.jpg

4452853915_01b4b966c5.jpg

4453634348_aedefd9f97.jpg

4453632182_e93bc40a3e.jpg

4452859467_f6eedacafa.jpg

4452861689_83fe3ea95a.jpg

(pictures taken from here)

BlazeDSM

I've finally beat this game and I must say I am so in love with it and her...instead of buying upgrades I had to buy the alternate costumes, it was only right. Great game, one of my new favorites.

rataven

Ledsen said:
That's not the guide he's talking about... he's talking about the REAL guide, the "OMFG this is the most awesome thing I've seen in my entire life"-guide. (the European one):

bayonetta-guide-1.jpg

(pictures taken from here)
Oh dam. I didn't even know that existed; it's gorgeous. And it's so epic it even has it's own trailer! Do want. Looks like someone is selling it new on Amazon for the low price of $1,129! *cries*

Ledsen

rataven said:
Oh dam. I didn't even know that existed; it's gorgeous. And it's so epic it even has it's own trailer! Do want. Looks like someone is selling it new on Amazon for the low price of $1,129! *cries*

I got it for £17 delivered to Sweden from an Amazon UK seller. I don't know how much it would be delivered to the US though. It really is the best guide ever made though.

Curufinwe

I got it from Amazon UK back in July for about US $35 delivered, but they're out of stock now, unfortunately.

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Wow I just got a Stone Award for Chapter II :lol Do you get penalized for using items? I've always thought that in other action games like NG and DMC that you do...but now i'm not sure.

Liking all the nods to past games :D

Also is it possible to miss verses? I beat chapter II and III, but it seems like there are some blank spots in the medal count.

Items count as a partial death, and a partial death greater than 50% is rounded up to one death. Here are the item death values from page 33 of the Collector's Edition guide.

Green lollipop - 20%
Mega green lollipop - 40%
Purple lollipop - 20%
Mega purple lollipop - 20%
Bloody Rose lollipop - 30%
Mega Bloody Rose lollipop - 60%
Yellow Moon lollipop - 30%
Mega yellow moon lollipop - 60%
Magic flute - 40%
Red Hot Shot - 100%

So you can use one Yellow Moon lollipop per Chapter and not be penalized. This can be very useful on tough stages where a short period of invincibility can make a big difference.

It is very easy to miss verses because the game requires a lot of backtracking to find all of them. One of the few things I don't like about Bayonetta, although it didn't personally affect me because I followed the Scenario Guide.

rataven said:
Holy Hell! I'm so glad I got it when it came out.

I checked in on the Bayo guide at Amazon.uk one day a few months ago, right after the game dropped to $20 in the States, and saw that their stock was at about 20 and slowly dwindling. I had a hunch they were being snatched up once the game dropped in price. I made a panic purchase and recommended a couple of friends who love the game to do the same. Three days later, out of stock and has been that way since. I wish I picked up at least a second copy for a gift.

Also bought The Eyes of Bayonetta artbook from NCSX a couple weeks later. I rarely buy supplementals or merchandise for games, but Bayo is a thing of beauty.

chris121580

Finished this last night. What an absolutely fantastic game. Enjoyed every second of it. It's motivated me to pick up Vanquish as well.

Coldsnap

Coldsnap said:
the missile scene is really annoying.

Few days later I'm still at the missle shoot em up scene, pretty sure I will stop here. This part sorta destroys the game for me, it's way too long, it controls like garbage, the dodge is annoying, and it's dead smack in the middle of the climax.

Coldsnap said:
Few days later I'm still at the missle shoot em up scene, pretty sure I will stop here. This part sorta destroys the game for me, it's way too long, it controls like garbage, the dodge is annoying, and it's dead smack in the middle of the climax.

Don't use the dodge, just move out of the way.

The best way to win is to play it like you're actually playing Space Harrier.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Coldsnap said:

You gotta get through this part. The best boss fight is right after, and the rest of the game ain't too shabby. It really shouldn't be that difficult once you've played it a few times. If you keep moving in a circle you'll avoid most attacks and you can shoot faster if you use both square and triangle alternatingly (I don't think I'm imagining that).

You're right, though, that it's a garbage level in an otherwise sterling game. The first time you encounter it it's a nice pace breaker (not that I needed one) but every time thereafter it's a fucking bore. If there were an option to patch it out of the game I would. Same for the motorcycle level.

Coldsnap

Yea you're right. I'm just being a baby about it. I just tanked through it with health lollipops, I have always sucked at Space Harrier and I think this is just reminding me and making me bitter.

About how far into the game am I? I am currently past the Space Harrier level and shooting a giant statues with cannons.

Coldsnap said:
Yea you're right. I'm just being a baby about it. I just tanked through it with health lollipops, I have always sucked at Space Harrier and I think this is just reminding me and making me bitter.

About how far into the game am I? I am currently past the Space Harrier level and shooting a giant statues with cannons.
3/4

Coldsnap said:

more like 7/8th or closer.

also holy wow at that guide. I think i might pick up a guide. i beat it on normal two nights ago and got a few stone ratings. I really got to up my game. how hard is getting platinum in this?

steadfast

Coldsnap said:
hehe, how do I dodge his big charge attack? I get off the cannon in time but have no where to run and dodge it.

If you're talking about the one at the top of the building, hop off the cannon and back into the hallway to dodge.

I've gone from a hater to a 'top 5 games of 2010' lover in the span of two days with Bayonetta. It's just spectacularly fun to play, watch and listen to.

So glad I gave it another chance.

Teknoman

Chapter VIII...damn that was crazy. Im a sucker for highway stages and combined with the music...that was amazing!

The theme reminded me of Shinobi III's hoverboard sequence.

mugwhump

Got this for Christmas, the combat is really glorious. The story is painful and retarded, but I can live with that.

Do you have to do Alfheims you've already beaten to get a good chapter score?

Also, I'm trying to play this on a different Xbox. I copied the save data onto a USB stick (not the profile, though), but it won't let me play on the new Xbox, because it's locked to that profile. Copying the profile isn't an option, because you have to delete it off the old Xbox. I think my only option may be illicitly modifying the save data. Anyone know how to go about doing this?

mugwhump said:
Got this for Christmas, the combat is really glorious. The story is painful and retarded, but I can live with that.

Do you have to do Alfheims you've already beaten to get a good chapter score?

Also, I'm trying to play this on a different Xbox. I copied the save data onto a USB stick (not the profile, though), but it won't let me play on the new Xbox, because it's locked to that profile. Copying the profile isn't an option, because you have to delete it off the old Xbox. I think my only option may be illicitly modifying the save data. Anyone know how to go about doing this?
No, you can get a high chapter score without doing them. You could also copy your profile on the USB stick I think, unless you have somebody that plays on your profile at the same time on the other xbox.

bluedeviltron said:
I've gone from a hater to a 'top 5 games of 2010' lover in the span of two days with Bayonetta. It's just spectacularly fun to play, watch and listen to.

So glad I gave it another chance.

You sound like me. Everybody praised it, but I had no time for it. Now, I feel LTTP with this game. :-/ I just hope a sequel is in the making. Please keep the good ol' Space Harrier bike level on there. :D

Chauncy Talon said:
You sound like me. Everybody praised it, but I had no time for it. Now, I feel LTTP with this game. :-/ I just hope a sequel is in the making. Please keep the good ol' Space Harrier bike level on there. :D

I could do without the Space Harrier section (especially since you have to play through the whole thing to get to a great battle) but the bike BETTER come back in any sort of Bayonetta sequel. Polish it up a bit more, give me some riding on buildings sections, and BAM...Instant great chapter.

Roto13

Net_Wrecker said:
I could do without the Space Harrier section (especially since you have to play through the whole thing to get to a great battle) but the bike BETTER come back in any sort of Bayonetta sequel. Polish it up a bit more, give me some riding on buildings sections, and BAM...Instant great chapter.
Half of the awesomeness of the ending is the fact that you ride a motorcycle into space. The other half being that you punch God into the sun, of course.

Teknoman

Net_Wrecker said:

Heh that F-Zero/Wipeout style section was really nice. Can you ride on the destroyed sections, or was I right in avoiding them?

Teknoman

Fimbulvetr said:
What do you mean by "destroyed sections"?

Well I guess its not really spoiler material: The busted up sections of the highway when you can actually drive off the road. It looked like some of the road sections hung in the air just long enough to jump off each one, and back onto the road.

Teknoman said:
Well I guess its not really spoiler material: The busted up sections of the highway when you can actually drive off the road. It looked like some of the road sections hung in the air just long enough to jump off each one, and back onto the road.

You mean the barricaded sections?

Coldsnap said:
The controls are 100% responsive and do exactly what you tell them to. You might not like it, but you can't fault the controls for technical issues.

Also see this video for a more or less perfect superplay of the chapter. Maybe you'll learn something.

Minamu

rataven said:

I can't find the link for the pdfs there, but is it ther same as this one?
http://juegodeals.com/2011/01/07/rare-bayonetta-digital-guide-free-right-now/

Minamu said:
I can't find the link for the pdfs there, but is it ther same as this one?
http://juegodeals.com/2011/01/07/rare-bayonetta-digital-guide-free-right-now/

It is as far as I can tell. I need to download that thing myself and get back on Bayonetta. And gatdamn does that Limited Edition guide look pretty. I took a look at prices for that thing and it's too rich for my blood right now. Maybe I might get lucky and the publisher will do a second run or find it on Amazon or eBay for a reasonable price. Maybe outside of that a GAFfer will put one up in the BST thread or something. Until then free works.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I just wanna say I hate the person/people that decided R1 should be lock-on and R2 dodge and not allow you to remap the controls.

Also that I died in a tutorial twice.

And I'm playing the game unpatched and that load times are nothing to cry about!

Lindsay said:
I just wanna say I hate the person/people that decided R1 should be lock-on and R2 dodge and not allow you to remap the controls.

And I'm playing the game unpatched and that load times are nothing to cry about!
You don't need to use lock on very much, you know. The game's targeting is pretty tight.

Roto13

One of the websites I write for is doing a list of the top games of last year and Bayonetta is on the list. I was the one who got to write the blurb for it. :p I'll link to it once it's live.
Lindsay said:

I don't know why the lock on button even exists, it's so useless. You should probably download the patch and install it if you can. The load times will get on your nerves after a while. Especially if you decide to go through it again a second time right away, which you might because it's that kind of game!

Lindsay said:

The only thing you need lock-on for is the specific maneuvers that require the lock on button. 95% of the time, just let the game auto target for you, it's really good.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ledsen said:
I got it for £17 delivered to Sweden from an Amazon UK seller. I don't know how much it would be delivered to the US though. It really is the best guide ever made though.
What, when were?

It's mega rare and expensive now. You surely got it back when the game released, right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lindsay said:

The load times are wasting your life several seconds at a time. You could avoid them with a simple procedure that you can set in motion while doing something else. I cannot see why you wouldn't patch it and install.

Also, you really don't need to bother with lock-on 99% of the time. Just master the dodging first. Worry about lock-on later. Or never.

Top Bottom