• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Curufinwe

ivysaur12 said:
The game is *great*, but...

Is the screen tearing really this bad? I started chapter 2 and it was really detracting from the experience. I only really noticed when walking around the town though.

God this story is laughable. It makes it somewhat embarrassing to recommend to friends without a strong caveat :lol

I'm sorry your friends are all apparently dicks with no sense of humour.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ivysaur12 said:

Is the screen tearing really this bad? I started chapter 2 and it was really detracting from the experience. I only really noticed when walking around the town though.

God this story is laughable. It makes it somewhat embarrassing to recommend to friends without a strong caveat :lol
even during the 360 version, the screen-tearing is, by far, the worse while walking around town in Chapter 2.

ivysaur12 said:

For real? You folks need to lighten up. The game doesn't take itself seriously, so why should you?

J-Rock

Banned
For real? You folks need to lighten up. The game doesn't take itself seriously, so why should you?

Exactly. I enjoy the cheesy vibe to the story and characters. Reminds me of some of the anime I grew up watching. I'm about halfway threw and loving it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Rez said:
even during the 360 version, the screen-tearing is, by far, the worse while walking around town in Chapter 2.

That's good. I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that for the rest of the game.

Danielsan

Finally finally decided to finish this damn game after stopping at around chapter12 the first time around. Restarted it on Friday and beat it today. This game is sheer sheer madness. The combat engine is fan fucking-tastic as everyone knows and overall it's an amazing game. Sadly there is also a ton of crap in it. Most annoying of all are the shitty shitty motorcycle sequences and the bloody space harrier rocket ride. I also fucking hate the insta-death QTE and other weird-ass insta kill sequences. Furthermore I could not give any less about any of the characters and the story if I tried. Holy shit this game's story may very well be the dumbest thing written in history. Of course it isn't meant to be taken seriously but man. :lol

edit: man these credits. Shouldn't have let my guard down. :lol
Of course let's follow it up with a dance video. :lol

Danielsan said:
Furthermore I could not give any less about any of the characters and the story if I tried. Holy shit this game's story may very well be the dumbest thing written in history. Of course it isn't meant to be taken seriously but man. :lol

zkWLg.gif
:p

Danielsan

Fimbulvetr said:
Hey man the story and characters in God Hand are awesome and I'd say the story actually makes more sense. :lol Gorilla reading a newspaper in a wrestling suit> some old theater freak who has a kid's head sticking out of his chest

Holy fucking shit. Hard is mental... Did they change the speed of the game? The enemies attack way faster, the dodge timing seems completely different. Also holy shit at those enemies in the prologue. :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
The fire and lightning cat things are the easily the most frustrating enemies thusfar. I had to stop the game because I couldn't beat two waves of them in a row...

I still love this game. Probably one of the best action games I've ever played.

Rpgmonkey

I swear this game is like riding a bike.

Haven't played it in three or four months, started it up again and it's like I never stopped. :D

ivysaur12 said:
The fire and lightning cat things are the easily the most frustrating enemies thusfar. I had to stop the game because I couldn't beat two waves of them in a row...

There's a third version of them that's even worse. :lol

Fire+Lightning ones are easy if you dodge a lot for Witch Time though.

Monocle

ivysaur12 said:

Flame Durga bombs are the key to killing Grace & Glory quickly. Drop them by charging your attacks. Also, the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is a life saver when you get used to timing your blocks. I like to input a block just as I'm dodging in case I get smacked before the invincibility frames kick in. Evil Harvest Rosary and Pulley's Butterfly can help too, and if you're really stuck, you can cheese with Kilgore rockets from a distance (assuming you've unlocked it).

Coldsnap said:
I suck at this game, I never play action games like this. Any basic tips?
Don't look down on easy. Going through it will get you better and you can always unequip the auto-attack item.

If that's where you have to start, then so be it, you will eventually be kicking ass on hard.

Edit: I see you're much further than that. Uh, equip the sword (or really any weapon) and press YXY (assuming 360 version). It is a very useful move.

Coldsnap

Is it YBY? That does some long sword attack move, seems nice. Yea, I'm a bit into the game but I'm at the point where mashing YYYYYYYYYY B doesn't let me win the fight... haha

Coldsnap said:
Is it YBY? That does some long sword attack move, seems nice. Yea, I'm a bit into the game but I'm at the point where mashing YYYYYYYYYY B doesn't let me win the fight... haha
Actually, you're right, it's probably YBY.

It's the easiest way to get one of those attacks out and is great at keeping enemies off your back.

ShockingAlberto said:
I am getting really, really tired of "I don't get the love for this game."

NO SHIT.

VIDEO GAMES MUCH LIKE EVERY OTHER FORM OF SUBJECTIVE ENTERTAINMENT DO NOT CATER TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD YOU INCREDIBLE MORONS

Sometimes there will be games that appeal to wider audiences! Take a game like Uncharted 2, which is more or less agreed to be of an incredible quality, and there are still some detractors that honestly did not have fun with the game. They did not like the game very much based on their criteria for what is fun to them, just like they (and you) may like or dislike certain movies.

Sometimes you disagree with the popular opinion, sometimes you are one of the teeming masses who are part of it and the dissenters don't make sense to you!

The "I don't get the love for this game" thing is like saying "I don't like chicken, how the fuck do people like chicken?" IT'S FUCKING CHICKEN. Some people don't like it! That's totally fine! Stop questioning it as if everyone is in some sort of drug addled state when they form their opinions and you are our Tron.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't get the love for "I don't get the love for this game."

But you really, really, really have to be dysfunctional not to love this game.

Curufinwe

Coldsnap said:
I suck at this game, I never play action games like this. Any basic tips?

I posted this in the Eurogamer Bayonetta thread recently when someone there was having trouble getting into the game.

Shuraba plus Durga (fire)on your feet is the best weapon set for most situations. I actually recommend printing out a list of the LP locations to make sure you get all the weapons right away.

Use one of the Alfheim Portals that only let you hit enemies with Wicked Weaves to practice doing the P -> hold K -> RT/R2 -> P attack with the Shuraba. It has great range and is very powerful, and learning to use Dodge Offset is critical.

If you're dying a lot you must be getting hit a lot, so try practicing your evade skills on the Vestibule till you can get thru the first Chapter without getting hit. There are visual and audio cues that let you know when to hit RT/R2, and it's much easier to learn them when you're replaying a Chapter you've already beaten because there's no pressure and no penalty for failure. You'll always be earning more Halos so it's never a waste of time.

Buy the Bat Within technique ASAP. This technique gives you a little extra leeway on your evades because if you hit RT/R2 at the exact time the enemy hits you, the damage will be canceled.

Save up to buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kahlaa. This lets you avoid getting hit by parrying attacks, and all you have to do is press the left stick towards the enemy at roughly the same time they attack you.

tetsuoxb

Danielsan said:
Hey man the story and characters in God Hand are awesome and I'd say the story actually makes more sense. :lol Gorilla reading a newspaper in a wrestling suit> some old theater freak who has a kid's head sticking out of his chest

Holy fucking shit. Hard is mental... Did they change the speed of the game? The enemies attack way faster, the dodge timing seems completely different. Also holy shit at those enemies in the prologue. :lol

Au contraire, mon frere. In God Hand, it is actually a guy wearing a gorilla suit with a wrestling suit on reading the paper.

Just saying you should consider thing equally.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I beat Bayonetta a few days ago, and just want to know if anybody else found the end boss so easy? It was an amazingly enjoyable and epic as all fuck battle that I loved, but I actually managed to beat her without dying. Pretty much every other boss in the game raped the shit out of me.

EDIT: Actually maybe I did die? If I did, it would have been only once. I remember cruising through it.

Curufinwe

CadetMahoney said:
looking back this game kicked my ass. Enjoyed it though.

On a rating of 1 to 10 how hard did you find getting all the achievements?

It took me almost 70 hours because I really took my time with the game, but I would only say 4/10. Compared to something like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, getting all the Achievements/Trophies in Bayonetta is a much easier and much fairer task.

I was having a lot of trouble getting the Touch And It Will REALLY Hurt Achievement until I switched to using Kilgore on her hands. For some reason that made the timing easier for me.

badcrumble said:
How many people in this thread have actually beaten Father Rodin?

I haven't, nor have I beaten Angel Slayer.

EatChildren said:
I beat Bayonetta a few days ago, and just want to know if anybody else found the end boss so easy? It was an amazingly enjoyable and epic as all fuck battle that I loved, but I actually managed to beat her without dying. Pretty much every other boss in the game raped the shit out of me.
The final boss honestly isn't that bad at all as long as you know how to avoid the two black hole attacks. But again, like much of the game, the challenge is about how to get a Pure Platinum by beating it quickly and with good varied combos, not about surviving it. It's a long battle in which there are long sections without the ability to hurt the boss, so it's killing it quickly that is the challenge.

In terms of pure challenge from the final set of bosses, I'd say Final Jeanne is tougher than Father Balder is tougher than Jubileus.

I remember a thread in late 2009 asking where all the great final boss fights were this generation, and that I responded that all of them were in Bayonetta. That was pretty much entirely true. God, I can't wait for the sequel to this game.

Curufinwe said:
I haven't, nor have I beaten Angel Slayer.

I did try alot on rodin, but had to give up. Maybe you need to activate witch time when you get him to stumble back when he gets hit. Otherwise nothing I try works. He spazes out when you get him near yellow energy.

Angel slayer didn't try.

Coldsnap

Curufinwe said:
I posted this in the Eurogamer Bayonetta thread recently when someone there was having trouble getting into the game.

Shuraba plus Durga (fire)on your feet is the best weapon set for most situations. I actually recommend printing out a list of the LP locations to make sure you get all the weapons right away.

Use one of the Alfheim Portals that only let you hit enemies with Wicked Weaves to practice doing the P -> hold K -> RT/R2 -> P attack with the Shuraba. It has great range and is very powerful, and learning to use Dodge Offset is critical.

If you're dying a lot you must be getting hit a lot, so try practicing your evade skills on the Vestibule till you can get thru the first Chapter without getting hit. There are visual and audio cues that let you know when to hit RT/R2, and it's much easier to learn them when you're replaying a Chapter you've already beaten because there's no pressure and no penalty for failure. You'll always be earning more Halos so it's never a waste of time.

Buy the Bat Within technique ASAP. This technique gives you a little extra leeway on your evades because if you hit RT/R2 at the exact time the enemy hits you, the damage will be canceled.

Save up to buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kahlaa. This lets you avoid getting hit by parrying attacks, and all you have to do is press the left stick towards the enemy at roughly the same time they attack you.

Thank you for the tips. I havn't gotten many LP's. I'm not sure if I have Duraga on my feet. I'm on chapter 10, can I get the list and load up old chapters to get the LPs? Once I get the LP can i exit the level?

GONz

badcrumble said:
I've beaten Angel Slayer, but only "tried" Father Rodin once (It was actually more to see how the setting of the fight was ^^'). If I've had decided to beat him, maybe I would still be playing Bayonetta at this time, which would have made me play the game for... 8 months non-stop.

Curufinwe

There's a cheap way to beat him according to the Collector's Guide. I can type it up when I get home if anyone's interested.

Coldsnap said:
Thank you for the tips. I havn't gotten many LP's. I'm not sure if I have Duraga on my feet. I'm on chapter 10, can I get the list and load up old chapters to get the LPs? Once I get the LP can i exit the level?

I think so, yeah. Just go back in to far enough to get the LPs you have missed.

One thing I don't like Bayonetta is how hard it is to find some of the LPs and APs without using a guide.

ApolloJoh

badcrumble said:

I have but had to resort to using the
Climax Bracelet
and
Pillow Talk (lightsaber)

Tried to not use them just for the challenge but later gave up. It took many tries even with OP equipment. :lol

Still have to beat Angel Slayer though. :(

Coldsnap said:
What exactly is dodge offset?

It's when you dodge in the middle of a combo and continue with it. You hold P or K (depending on the combo you're doing) right when you dodge.

badcrumble said:

I have, but with the Bazillions.

n472a is the best victory against Rodin I've seen, so far.

Scarborough Fair only and Gaze of Despair equipped. Pure Platinum.
EatChildren said:

EDIT: Actually maybe I did die? If I did, it would have been only once. I remember cruising through it.

Nah, she was definitely easy.

Jeanne is the best non-optional boss anyway.

SpudBud

Picked this game up and holy shit is it amazing!

I find myself going for platinum medals and it's driving me nuts. Maybe I should just be the game first.

parasight

Just finished on Normal. Every time it seemed the game was over, it just kept on going. More FMVs, more fights, etc. And it just got crazier every time. The only frustrating part was with the Anti-Air Turrets vs Temperentia. I couldn't figure out how to dodge that massive solar flare that seemed to take up the whole screen so I just ate it every time.

Monocle

gutter_trash said:
is there anyplace where we can buy the guide for a reasonable price?
What the hell? I was going to recommend Amazon but the cheapest price is $1,129.53! BookDepository.com used to have it for around $30, but now the product page links to AbeBooks.co.uk, where it costs £201.21. Maybe I should sell my copy...

SpudBud said:
Picked this game up and holy shit is it amazing!

I find myself going for platinum medals and it's driving me nuts. Maybe I should just be the game first.
Trust me, you should focus on beating the game. You'll need the weapons and accessories you can unlock later on to have a reasonable chance of earning Platinum, much less Perfect Platinum, on every level. Right now you're pretty much trying to halve a diamond with a butter knife.

Rpgmonkey

So I finally got around to unlocking Angel Slayer and I've started playing around in it...

As if a fight against one Jeanne wasn't awesome enough, I get two! I almost squealed when they showed up. :lol

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
What exactly is dodge offset?

While holding Punch or Kick, press the dodge button. Bayonetta will do a dodge while her guns are still firing. This allows you to cancel combos, so you dont get hit in the middle of beating down an enemy.

Monocle said:
Trust me, you should focus on beating the game. You'll need the weapons and accessories you can unlock later on to have a reasonable chance of earning Platinum, much less Perfect Platinum, on every level. Right now you're pretty much trying to halve a diamond with a butter knife.

I think im going to take this advice too. I keep trying to do the same thing in Vanquish, without knowing whats up ahead.

EDIT: Wow I just got a Stone Award for Chapter II :lol Do you get penalized for using items? I've always thought that in other action games like NG and DMC that you do...but now i'm not sure.

Liking all the nods to past games :D

Also is it possible to miss verses? I beat chapter II and III, but it seems like there are some blank spots in the medal count.

george_us

I beat this for the umpteeth time today and it's staggering how good this game is. Shames every AAA blockbuster out there and it probably cost a fraction of the price to develop.

Top Bottom