• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

vulva

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy going out to run some chores/pick this up now. Can't wait. That said, I haven't slept yet so I'll probably end up back at home, passing out on the couch as I sit down to play it.... then waking up to AWESOME.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It feels like Christmas day. Best buy opens at 10. Just 3 more hours.

ravien56

Fuck yes, I have today off. I still don't know if I wanna get the 360 version, it just red ringed but its working now, what do I do guys?

ascully

I know this thread is full of love for Bayonetta, but for some reason I am not feeling it. I love the character design (Obviously) and the nods to Sega games of old but the game play isn't doing it for me. Anybody else not liking it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
okay, that's it. I just got the
Skates
, and I'm calling it a night.

hulot

ascully said:
I know this thread is full of love for Bayonetta, but for some reason I am not feeling it. I love the character design (Obviously) and the nods to Sega games of old but the game play isn't doing it for me. Anybody else not liking it?
Do you know why you don't like it?

TimeKillr

gutter_trash said:
I am Amazoning it; let it come to me!!!! to my mailbox

You do know Gamebuzz was selling it last Saturday right?

Oh, the joys of living in a city where a single small game store chain doesn't give a shit about street dates. :)

Captain N

I am heading out to get this once my wife gets out of the shower and takes over on Son Duty.

Does anyone here know...who owns the Bayonetta IP? Platinum Games or Sega?

HiResDes

ascully said:
I don't like it, but my reasons are extremely shallow: I can't stand Bayonetta's character model it reminds of early female archetypes such as the castrating woman...I can't stand her voice, it really annoys me, and I get distracted by all of the hoopla on screen. All around the game just irritates the hell out of me, though I realize that the combat system is really fucking great, ultimately I'd just rather be playing DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden. And it's not that I don't like female lead characters, Mirror's Edge is in my top 5 favorite games of the generation, and I usually make female characters in wrpgs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Captain N said:
Does anyone here know...who owns the Bayonetta IP? Platinum Games or Sega?
the official site says the trademark is owned by Sega. Not sure about the actual game code but it looks like Sega owns the character(s).

edit - yeah, even on Platinum Games' own website it says "Bayonetta is trademark SEGA Corp. Developed by PlatinumGames."

Captain N

borghe said:
the official site says the trademark is owned by Sega. Not sure about the actual game code but it looks like Sega owns the character(s).

edit - yeah, even on Platinum Games' own website it says "Bayonetta is trademark SEGA Corp. Developed by PlatinumGames."

So we might see some Bayonetta Characters in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing? ha

Dazzyman

The game does take about 6 levels to get into.

I wasnt that keen on the story still arent after I finished the JPN one and cant stick the static cutscenes but as you learn the mechanics and get better with the gameplay that is what ends up counting. Once you move on from mashing and start learning and picking up the good weapons then it just transcends into something amazing.

Games designed anyway for numerous playthrus with your loot and to get better scores so the story becomes a skip when you do that.

Games very hard later on as well if you dont find the bits of records to get the weapons (I did my first playthru without the skates and the claws).

If it clicks with you though you will get depressed afterwards as nothing compares to it as a 3d action game just makes the likes of DMC feel rubbish.

Im getting more and more tempted again to rebuy it for my PAL machine on Friday in UK.

hulot

HiResDes said:
I don't like it, but my reasons are extremely shallow: I can't stand Luka's character model it reminds of early female archetypes such as the castrating woman...
Typo for Bayonetta? And what does 'castrating woman' mean?

Fugu

Rez said:
okay, that's it. I just got the
Skates
, and I'm calling it a night.
I have equipped the
skates
and subsequently have never put anything else on my legs. There's just something mind-boggling about using them.

hulot said:
A castrating woman is a woman that emasculates men (usually just figuratively although works in a literal context too), generally by overpowering them
but in this case by taunting/teasing him and saving his ass

HiResDes

hulot said:
yeah I meant Bayonetta...And the castrating woman is female archetype used in early traditional hollywood film that was mostly based off of Freud's theories.

hulot

HiResDes said:
yeah I meant Bayonetta...And the castrating woman is female archetype used in early traditional hollywood film that was mostly based off of Freud's theories.
I figured as much; so is it just a personal dislike for having a woman in a position of power in your media? I understand your archetypes point, but a character like Faith in Mirror's Edge was on the whole inoffensive and by the books and characters you create in WRPGs are by nature personality-less and you simply get to role-play what you think a woman should be. I find it refreshing that we're now at least getting a different female archetype as a game lead, something I don't think I've seen before.

As much as I love this game, and I love it a lot, there are some aspects that I just do not like. For one, the screen tearing occurs a lot during the non-battle parts of the game, which really irritates me and takes away a sense of immersion for me (360 version btw). And secondly, the QTE's during cut scenes are just dumb, I've died the first time for each of them so far because I just had no clue at all that they were coming. Luckily they did a good job of minimizing load times after dying so you can jump back into the action quickly.

HiResDes

hulot said:
I figured as much; so is it just a personal dislike for having a woman in a position of power in your media? I understand your archetypes point, but a character like Faith in Mirror's Edge was on the whole inoffensive and by the books and characters you create in WRPGs are by nature personality-less and you simply get to role-play what you think a woman should be. I find it refreshing that we're now at least getting a different female archetype as a game lead, something I don't think I've seen before.
No I'm all for new roles, which showcase woman in positions of power, but this is all by all means standard affair by the books portrayal of woman. A woman clad in leather with her sexuality played up to the inth degree, who procures her power by the crack of a whip. Bayonetta is still a female object within a male dominated gaze.

Mdk7

Amon37 said:
The
motorcycle section
was so horrible and glitchy. I never want to play that chapter again.
I agree. I loved the idea behind those sections, but the execution is not on par with the rest of the game (which is beyond stellar!).
34 hours in, i think i'll do the last chapter now (even if i don't wanna beat it.... it's too awesome!).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Woohoo! Picked up my copy about half an hour ago.
Now, if only the rest of the work day would fly by...

hulot

HiResDes said:
No I'm all for new roles, which showcase woman in positions of power, but this is all by all means standard affair by the books portrayal of woman. A woman clad in leather with her sexuality played up to the inth degree, who procures her power by the crack of a whip. Bayonetta is still a female object within a male dominated gaze.
Oh, definitely, I also believe that there is a clear male-oriented aspect to the game but then again, it's hard to find a counterpart in mainstream (not indie) core games. What Bayonetta does is also new in many ways, one of which is her design and its portrayal. And feminism itself has gone through separate movements, some shunning what you've described and others embracing and appropriating it. I responded to your initial post because I was reminded of some previous posts in the thread about how some would feel uncomfortable with the character of Bayonetta and wanted to see where you stood.

And it's not leather, it's hair ;)

andymcc

Banned
i'm going to pick it up after dropping the girlfriend off for her afternoon classes.

bayonetta and i are going to have a naughty, clandestine relationship.

Mdk7

brandonh83 said:
What? I'm in the Bayonetta thread. I just checked. What's this 34 hours you speak of?
I didn't want it to finish and i replayed the chapters A LOT to get some more skills and some halos. :D

---

Anyway i just beat it: the final chapter is probably one of the most impressive boss fights EVER.
(even more intense than the Sin & Punishment one...)

UNBE-FUCKING-LIEVABLE i'd say. ;)

This game is a work of art: best action game ever, 10 out of 10 to me.
Thanks Kamiya for creating something so astonishing and fun to play.

Dazzyman

I wouldnt worry about finishing it though because you can start a new game + on it with your stuff you have. You can also just go to any level previous you opened and farm so its got so much open to you that its never a linear only 1 game finish thats it deal.

From bloody reading it all again I had no choice and had to hit the preorder button for pal. With Mushi 1.5 on my PAL machine I cant be arsed to switch the JPN one at moment and move a usb wire across :lol

Forgot to mention I loved the music on this theirs some goregous orchestral type ones at certain parts inbetween fly me to the moooooooonaaaah (pub singer voice special!).

Ronin

I've just made it beyond where the demo ends. Onto Chapter 2!

Looking at all the shit in the store only made me realize I have my work cut out for me. :lol :D

ravien56 said:
Fuck yes, I have today off. I still don't know if I wanna get the 360 version, it just red ringed but its working now, what do I do guys?

You buy the 360 version and run your 360 into the ground. Once it RRoD's again, buy a new 360 and continue playing the GOTY.

Scythesurge said:
As much as I love this game, and I love it a lot, there are some aspects that I just do not like. For one, the screen tearing occurs a lot during the non-battle parts of the game, which really irritates me and takes away a sense of immersion for me (360 version btw). And secondly, the QTE's during cut scenes are just dumb, I've died the first time for each of them so far because I just had no clue at all that they were coming. Luckily they did a good job of minimizing load times after dying so you can jump back into the action quickly.

ha
ha

vexvegaz

im at the mall and remembered this game is out today but before i run and pick it up whats the consensus as far as the console to version to get? ps3 or 360?

thanks in advanced gaf.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
360 is pretty far ahead of ps3 on this one (awful in today's age). I stuck with the ps3 for trophies and ds3, but the level load times are pretty long and there is some frame dropping. IMHO the framerate and PQ are being way overblown by the sites making a big deal out of them, but the level loading is pretty severe. If the 360 loads even 25% faster it would be rather significant.

Alx

borghe said:
If the 360 loads even 25% faster it would be rather significant.

After an HDD install, the 360 loading times are too short ! Sometimes I want to try the suggested combos but don't have enough time...

Top Bottom