• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Tabs

Alx said:
After an HDD install, the 360 loading times are too short ! Sometimes I want to try the suggested combos but don't have enough time...
Hit the back button, stay as long as you like.

MattyH said:
Anyone Had an dispach email yet for the Climax Edition?

Still waiting.. It's still on order placed :X

However, I did get this from Game regarding the gun:

Dear Customer

Thanks for your preordering your copy of Bayonetta from
GAME.co.uk

Unfortunately, due to supply issues out of our control, we have
not been able to despatch your replica Scarborough Fair gun for
delivery by the release date.

Please be assured that your game will still be despatched in time for release,
and that the replica gun will be sent separately as soon as we receive it.

We apologise for any inconvenience this delay may have
caused.

HiResDes

hulot said:
Oh, definitely, I also believe that there is a clear male-oriented aspect to the game but then again, it's hard to find a counterpart in mainstream (not indie) core games. What Bayonetta does is also new in many ways, one of which is her design and its portrayal. And feminism itself has gone through separate movements, some shunning what you've described and others embracing and appropriating it. I responded to your initial post because I was reminded of some previous posts in the thread about how some would feel uncomfortable with the character of Bayonetta and wanted to see where you stood.

And it's not leather, it's hair ;)
Ditto, good points.

Question for Peff and grindamasta

Does the game case in the Climax edition come sealed?

I'm asking because if I end up getting the copy from Game first, I will just open that, and send the one I get with the Climax edition back to Game ;p

Peff

Dabookerman said:
Question for Peff and grindamasta

Does the game case in the Climax edition come sealed?

I'm asking because if I end up getting the copy from Game first, I will just open that, and send the one I get with the Climax edition back to Game ;p

Yes, both the cardboard case and the game case were sealed.

EDIT: You can see the seal in one of my pics in fact:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2zqf03m.jpg

Amon37

Apparently I'm not looking for secrets enough.

I'm on chapter 12 and only have the
Katana, shotguns, and claws.

XenoRaven

Amon37 said:
Apparently I'm not looking for secrets enough.

I'm on chapter 12 and only have the
Katana, shotguns, and claws.
Same here. I beat the game and then I come here and see people talking about
"skates"
or something.

Which leads me to this question. Does the timer only count while you're fighting, or is it constantly counting from one section to the next? I haven't really been exploring because I wanted to get platinum medals for time.

Peff

XenoRaven said:
Same here. I beat the game and then I come here and see people talking about
"skates"
or something.

Which leads me to this question. Does the timer only count while you're fighting, or is it constantly counting from one section to the next? I haven't really been exploring because I wanted to get platinum medals for time.

The final time of the chapter is the sum of the time every verse took, the rest isn't counted, that includes cutscenes. My first playthrough was 9 hours, yet the records screen showed as 4:17, so getting the bracelet of time isn't as hard as it may seem.

sonicmj1

.:Wesker:. said:
Ice Skates are in 6, Grenade Launcher Tonfas are in 9.

Don't forget the whip in Chapter 3 that he appears to have missed.

To the person worrying about time: If my understanding is correct, your end-of-chapter rank is determined by your scores in each of the verses, and each verse's time is calculated from the moment the fighting starts to the moment it presents your scores. In other words, if you want to explore your first time through, you don't have to worry about your rewards suffering because of it.

XenoRaven

Peff said:
The final time of the chapter is the sum of the time every verse took, the rest isn't counted, that includes cutscenes. My first playthrough was 9 hours, yet the records screen showed as 4:17, so getting the bracelet of time isn't as hard as it may seem.
So after a fight I can run around the level all crazy looking for things and not be penalized?

EDIT: Nevermind. Question answered. I will have to try this tonight.

Peff

Y2Kev said:
What should I buy in the store?

The techniques, especially the beast techniques when they're available, the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and Rosary of Harvest for harder difficulties, the hearts and pearls that you need to complete your health bar... just use your halos as you get them :lol

EDIT: Yes!

taoofjord

The combat/gameplay in this game is stupid amazing... but the story/cutscenes is the most ridiculous thing to come out of Japan since the Dead or Alive Volleyball intro cutscene. And, obviously, I don't mean this in a good way. The comic relief joe pesci character, the faux-feminie ghostly whispery guy, and the black guy trying to sound tough are so cringe-inducing, so god-awful that I'm not sure I can even continue playing the game. Maybe I'll just skip the cutscenes. What a shame since I was hoping for a story that could pull off the cheesy and over-the-top feel it was going for. Funny, too, since I enjoyed God Hand's cutscenes -- they really worked for that game... maybe because it REALLY didn't take itself seriously at all where as bayonetta is trying to be over-the-top, cheesy, AND cool all at once.

Alx

Trav said:
Hit the back button, stay as long as you like.

Thanks ! I didn't even notice that you could do that ; I was only browsing the commands, loking for those with a zero next to them, and never thought that I could stay in training mode. Silly me.

Peff

The combat/gameplay in this game is stupid amazing... but the story/cutscenes is the most ridiculous thing to come out of Japan since the Dead or Alive Volleyball intro cutscene. And, obviously, I don't mean this in a good way. The comic relief joe pesci character, the faux-feminie ghostly whispery guy, and the black guy trying to sound tough are so cringe-inducing, so god-awful that I'm not sure I can even continue playing the game. Maybe I'll just skip the cutscenes. What a shame since I was hoping for a story that could pull off the cheesy and over-the-top feel it was going for. Funny, too, since I enjoyed God Hand's cutscenes -- they really worked for that game... maybe because it REALLY didn't take itself seriously at all where as bayonetta is trying to be over-the-top, cheesy, AND cool all at once.

Have you played past the prologue yet? Two of these characters never appear again through the game, cutscenes stop appearing so often, and the plot focuses on Bayonetta and the city of Vigrid. Sure, it's not Oscar worthy (lol) but in the end it's not much worse than other games in the genre. Plus it has some cool coregraphies :p

sonicmj1

taoofjord said:

You're right that God Hand takes itself far less seriously than Bayonetta, and I think this title suffers somewhat for it. There are a few light moments here and there that are really appreciated, but on the whole, the game demands an awful lot of attention for how ridiculous it is.

A few of the characters from the game's early chapters do more or less disappear, and I'd say the cutscenes improve somewhat as the game progresses, but I don't think they ever really get good until somewhere near the end. Plot is not one of Bayonetta's strong points.

Some of the game's fantastic setpieces will be a bit too random if you avoid the cutscenes altogether, so I'd try to stick with it, but I wouldn't blame you if you get impatient and tap the old R2+Select combo to get to the action every now and then. I did legitimately enjoy the end, though.

Hmm, I think I'll try to unlock as much as I can on my first playthrough to make it last the longest I can. I'm going to be a good student and buy this after my exams :p

Too bad I have two second degree burns on my right hand, but they don't really hurt, and Bayonetta's hipswinging makes me numb anyway :3

Drame

Hope you guys enjoy Bayonetta one freaking amazing game!

I'm trying to pull money from somewhere to double dip this beaty, while trying to decide whether to get the Scarborough fair or Climax Edition.

Sallokin

Just got back from Best Buy with my copy in hand. I thought it was strange to see that my BB (colorado springs) only had 5 copies... not 5 copies left, just 5 copies total. I asked an employee and he said that's all they had. I really hope they just hadn't gotten them all out yet.

hatchx

Banned
I'm a PS3-only owner.

I'm a little turned off from buying this after the negative feedback (I've heard it's a terrible port).

Any word from the GAF yet? Is it as bad as they say?

Sallokin said:
Just got back from Best Buy with my copy in hand. I thought it was strange to see that my BB (colorado springs) only had 5 copies... not 5 copies left, just 5 copies total. I asked an employee and he said that's all they had. I really hope they just hadn't gotten them all out yet.
Colorado Springs, eh? I live in Denver.

Raxus

hatchx said:
I'm a PS3-only owner.

I'm a little turned off from buying this after the negative feedback (I've heard it's a terrible port).

Most people in the thread that purchased the PS3 version didn't seem to mind. Go back and read some of the early impressions.

XenoRaven

Sallokin said:
No one is going to buy this game. Prima even cancelled the strategy guide, apparently.

Drame

hatchx said:
I'm a PS3-only owner.
There are some technical problems with the PS3 version, but that won't stop you from having a great time.

Edit: I'd say the worst part of the PS3 version is the loading times, which are quite long.

joesmokey

Come on UPS deliver my package already D:.

Edit: Holy crap he literally just knocked on my door, can't believe that worked! BAYONETTA TIME!

Dazzyman

Amon37 said:
Well I planned on multiple playthroughs so I'll get them then. :lol

You can redo a chapter anytime you want m8 just go to the list and back track to pick em up thats the beauty about the game you can go farm for abit make some cash buy some trinkets then go off onto the harder levels.

I found the whip invaluable. I used it as my main weapon for alot of bosses later on as didnt have the rocket or skates on 1st playthru.

I may be of the minority, but I actually am surprised how much the story and cut scenes have entertained me so far. In fact it's something that I feel has been missing in games this generation. Of course I could understand why people don't like it, it's weird and over the top and off the wall, but that's exactly why I like it. All the references, jokes, and bad assery is something I very much needed.

To each his own though.

Man I didn't have the whip, skates, or rocket. I just had the shotty and sword! Holy hell!

Scythesurge said:
I may be of the minority, but I actually am surprised how much the story and cut scenes have entertained me so far. In fact it's something that I feel has been missing in games this generation. Of course I could understand why people don't like it, it's weird and over the top and off the wall, but that's exactly why I like it. All the references, jokes, and bad assery is something I very much needed.

To each his own though.

Well I loved the badass cinematics, the characters, the jokes, just the overall story I felt was confusing and not explained in enough lamens terms. Yet I find that a minor complaint in the grand scheme of what Bayonetta is.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
XenoRaven said:
No one is going to buy this game. Prima even cancelled the strategy guide, apparently.
Quite a shame when Dante's Inferno and God of War will probably both sell past a million Easily =[

careksims

Haha! I'm also still waiting for USPS to deliver the sexiness. Anytime now. I still have so much work to do and a deadline on Saturday :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hatchx said:
I'm a PS3-only owner.

as one of the people who provided the earlier impressions, basically the level loading times are a bit annoying, but the actual game, gameplay and graphics are completely fine. Not as good as the 360 but unless you sit there and compare them side by side by side you'll never care. the loading stuff in game hasn't really bothered me that much, it's only the level loading which is pretty annoying. I STRONGLY recommend PS3-only owners don't pass this up. The game is still fuck all awesome, we just have to wait 20ish seconds for the action to start level to level.... definitely a small price to pay for such a gorgeous and frantic game.

edit - for reference I own both systems and stuck with PS3 for the DS3 and trophies and I don't regret that decision. The loading is pretty lame but hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the game. This is my main beef with the IGN review. They act like (as you said) it's a god awful port and stay away from it unless you absolutely have to. IMHO it's more like it's a disappointing port but you would still be utterly bat shit insane to pass the game up if you only own a PS3 and like the genre.

HiResDes

sonicmj1 said:
You're right that God Hand takes itself far less seriously than Bayonetta, and I think this title suffers somewhat for it. There are a few light moments here and there that are really appreciated, but on the whole, the game demands an awful lot of attention for how ridiculous it is.

A few of the characters from the game's early chapters do more or less disappear, and I'd say the cutscenes improve somewhat as the game progresses, but I don't think they ever really get good until somewhere near the end. Plot is not one of Bayonetta's strong points.

Some of the game's fantastic setpieces will be a bit too random if you avoid the cutscenes altogether, so I'd try to stick with it, but I wouldn't blame you if you get impatient and tap the old R2+Select combo to get to the action every now and then. I did legitimately enjoy the end, though.
No one plays these type of games for the plot, but other titles in the genre had several things going for them e.g., DMC was hilariously cheesy and Ninja Gaiden featured ninjas.

Ristlager

Drame said:
There are some technical problems with the PS3 version, but that won't stop you from having a great time.

Edit: I'd say the worst part of the PS3 version is the loading times, which are quite long.

But we are able to train in this loadtimes? Or are there other loadtimes?

HiResDes

shintoki said:
Quite a shame when Dante's Inferno and God of War will probably both sell past a million each =[
I don't see Dante's Inferno selling that much, but I could be wrong, not that I think its a bad game...Though it's combat mechanics feel kinda dated at this point...Oh and indeed it is very derivative. Once the aura that you're playing a game inspired by the amazing epic wears off, it doesn't have much going for it.

HiResDes said:
No one plays these type of games for the plot, but other titles in the genre had several things going for them e.g., DMC was hilariously cheesy and Ninja Gaiden featured ninjas.
And Bayonetta offers a crazy heaven/hell fuelled story set across amazing set pieces. It's that which has helped suck me even deeper into the game beyond it's climactic battle system.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ristlager said:
yes and sort of. Yes during the obnoxious level load times you can train. Yes there are small little load times throughout the actual game for store/menu/etc, but nothing that IMHO takes you out of the game. The level ones are the only time I find myself saying "wtf????"and where the dev dropped the ball (not Platinum). Had they given some sort of mandatory or optional install to shorten up the level loads it would have put this version definitely on par with the 360 version.

Drame

Ristlager said:

Between the chapter changes and whatnot, you can train your combos while the game is loading.

Also, if you press select while on the loading screen, you'll go into a "training mode", where you can practise combos to your heart's content.

HiResDes

XenoRaven said:
Isn't that the truth. Not enough yelling and testosterone apparently.
:lol
Usually sex > brutality when it comes to sales anyway, but then again you could make the case that sex is a form of brutality.

Top Bottom