• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Sallokin said:
Just got back from Best Buy with my copy in hand. I thought it was strange to see that my BB (colorado springs) only had 5 copies... not 5 copies left, just 5 copies total. I asked an employee and he said that's all they had. I really hope they just hadn't gotten them all out yet.

I got mine from GameStop, where there were only 3 reservations across both SKUs (mine included), with the store receiving four copies on 360 and two on PS3. Plus the strategy guide cancellation. It's kind of surprising, but hopefully it'll be a slow burner as word of mouth spreads about its unprecedented awesomeness.

XenoRaven

HiResDes said:
:lol
Usually sex > brutality when it comes to sales anyway, but then again you could make the case that sex is a form of brutality.
Well Dante's Inferno and God of War certainly have plenty of both.

Have you played the Dante's demo? The first thing you see in the opening cutscene is a man sewing a Crusader cross into his chest. The second thing you see is a woman's breasts.

HiResDes

XenoRaven said:
Well Dante's Inferno and God of War certainly have plenty of both.

Have you played the Dante's demo? The first thing you see in the opening cutscene is a man sewing a Crusader cross into his chest. The second thing you see is a woman's breasts.
Oh word I forgot about that, I kinda expected to see some nudity considering its source material...Well in both of them really. Though, what I saw in the Dante's demo wasn't too distasteful.

Dammit I can't believe they cancelled the strategy guide, what the hell. I'm starting to get the feeling that Platinum games is going to be Clover studios all over again. :(

I pre-ordered my Climax Edition a while ago, but to be honest never really played the demo much until last night.

And holy shit, now I am seriously pumped for it! :D :D :D :D :D

(I'm actually glad I didn't play the demo until now, it would have made the wait unbearable!)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What's the Climax Edition SKU? What region is it for?
I hope I didn't miss out on anything cool... :/

So, I hear that you can replay stages in order to farm/shoot for higher scores?
It's not a single-track games like the DMCs?

That's pretty cool. Makes me anticipate it all the more, though admittedly I plan on setting this aside until I'm done with Darksiders...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn it.
I picked up my Bayonetta today, it's installed and sitting in my 360's disc drive but I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours. It'll probably be like 12 hours before I get to start this.
FML, I should just walk out.

MacDee

Neo Member
Just returned from Futureshop with copy in hand; thank you Sega for not using an ugly recycling case for this!

I think Bayonetta is case for a day off from work.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Toy Soldier said:
I got mine from GameStop, where there were only 3 reservations across both SKUs (mine included), with the store receiving four copies on 360 and two on PS3. Plus the strategy guide cancellation. It's kind of surprising, but hopefully it'll be a slow burner as word of mouth spreads about its unprecedented awesomeness.

This will not be a slow burner. There are way too many games in a short time span that people will forget about this quickly. On 360 alone, you go from Bayonetta and Darksiders (don't rule that game out either) to Army of Two 40th Day, to Dark Void to Mass Effect 2 this month alone. It then moves right into Bioshock 2, and so on. On PS3, White Knight Chronicles and MAG slide right in there too.

Sega fucked themselves rotten by running away from the holidays. They could have released this officially in early December and had a month where nothing else came out around it. Now, they are a tiny tree in a huge forest.

Just enjoy the kick ass game and don't worry about the sales. :D

careksims

Kintaro said:
Sega fucked themselves rotten by running away from the holidays. They could have released this officially in early December and had a month where nothing else came out around it. Now, they are a tiny tree in a huge forest.

I have to agree. Pushing it to Jan was a mistake. There really was nothing in December. Most people already spent their money for Christmas. And now Mass Effect 2 is at the end of this month and everyone is saving their money for that one.

Kintaro said:

Totally, but I do of course want to see Platinum and SEGA rewarded for this game. I'll enjoy it regardless, but to think it won't see its due reception makes me a sad panda.

XenoRaven

Kintaro said:
I worry about sales because I want to see more games like Bayonetta made. As it stands, Bayonetta will never see a sequel, and God of War will continue to be a franchise and will have billions of clones and all our action games will forever feature bland and uninspired combat mixed with senseless blood and gore and an angry guy who screams a lot and is on a quest for vengeance.

Fugu

XenoRaven said:
I worry about sales because I want to see more games like Bayonetta made. As it stands, Bayonetta will never see a sequel, and God of War will continue to be a franchise and will have billions of clones and all our action games will forever feature bland and uninspired combat mixed with senseless blood and gore and an angry guy who screams a lot and is on a quest for vengeance.
。

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know, either I'm doing something wrong or I have to question the design of some of these boss encounters so far. The one in chapter 1
where you basically fire your guns at the floating angel head for 10 minutes was really boring
, and now in chapter 2
the dragon head in the building seems to take a lot of damage...
. I really think I'm doing it wrong.

edit: Okay, beat it. I dunno. That just felt strange to me. Maybe it didn't take as long as it felt like it did.

Aurora

I'm seeing an insane amount of TV advertising for Bayonetta here in the UK. I keep hearing La Roux's "In For The Kill" and realising it's the Bayonetta ad. Good stuff, hope it sells well.

hulot

Y2Kev said:
You know, either I'm doing something wrong or I have to question the design of some of these boss encounters so far. The one in chapter 1
where you basically fire your guns at the floating angel head for 10 minutes was really boring
, and now in chapter 2

edit: Okay, beat it. I dunno. That just felt strange to me. Maybe it didn't take as long as it felt like it did.
Those aren't bosses. You'll know when it's a BOSS.

Fugu

Y2Kev said:
, and now in chapter 2

First boss is in chapter 4. If you actually thought the miniboss thing in chapter 2 took a lot of damage, you're in for a surprise. And the chapter 1 segment of which you speak is more meant to be an excercise in witch time, I think.

Y2Kev said:
...you weren't using Witch Time?

The thing dies in like two or three combos without you ever having to shoot it

All the glowing gold and etheral enemy designs gives me a heavy Otogi vibe.

So far those super glowing reviews turned out to be true. Favorite moment was the list of Luka's conquests:lol

Fugu

ShockingAlberto said:
...you weren't using Witch Time?

The thing dies in like two or three combos without you ever having to shoot it
If you're in witch time, you can also hit back the meteors.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
XenoRaven said:

I understand that, but I'm sure both Sega and PG had to be somewhat realistic in their projections for sales. 500k worldwide (both platforms combined) would have been a good goal to aim towards I think.

Besides, who is to say Bayonetta would have a sequel anyway? Plus, if it does, it's Sega's call. They wouldn't even have to go to PG to make it. It's their IP now.

Trying to insult other action games to prop this one doesn't help any arguments by the way. They all have different aims. Bayonetta was obviously aimed at a smaller niche so one should expect smaller sales.

KAOS

This game is so Platinum... so Sega... so Capcom... so Awesome!!! The ending was crazy and the game has so much replayability. I really hope it does well cause i'll like to see some dlc (maybe co-op).

KAOS said:
This game is so Platinum... so Sega... so Capcom... so Awesome!!! The ending was crazy and the game has so much replayability. I really hope it does well cause i'll like to see some dlc (maybe co-op).
I'm against dlc but part of me is curious how a game like this would work in co op.

Aurora said:
I'm seeing an insane amount of TV advertising for Bayonetta here in the UK. I keep hearing La Roux's "In For The Kill" and realising it's the Bayonetta ad. Good stuff, hope it sells well.
I had someone ask me if it was a shooting game today when I mentioned it 'because that's what it looks like in the advert' :lol.

Only completed the opening sequence but this game is all kinds of awesome. Playing the PS3 version and though the game doesn't look that pretty and the cutscenes are laughably bad it sure handles well.

Shito

KAOS said:
There won't be any DLC, as Kamiya more than once stated he hated those.
That's why the game is overflowing with optionnal content from the start.

ruxtpin

Banned
So... I don't play a lot of action games like this... Question about Chapter 3:
What's the best way to go about taking out the enemies on fire? I keep trying to punch/kick them and I can't because... Well... They're on fire.
? Thanks for any advice!

ruxtpin said:
What's the best way to go about taking out the enemies on fire? I keep trying to punch/kick them and I can't because... Well... They're on fire.
? Thanks for any advice!
You need to be in witch time to hit them normally.

george_us

ruxtpin said:
? Thanks for any advice!
Go into Witch Time by dodging their attacks.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Mejilan said:
What's the Climax Edition SKU? What region is it for?
I hope I didn't miss out on anything cool... :/

25ary9e.jpg

PAL region only i think??

So were you supposed to get a set of posters for preordering at gamestop or just one?

Coz couple days back I got a set of the posters rolled up (5 or 6 I think), then when picked up the game today, the guy tore off one of the posters and gave me it :lol

bridegur

As fantastic as this game looks, I've been scared off by what a nightmare the PS3 port job seems to be. I guess I'll rent or wait until it drops to $30.

Anso

cleveridea said:
So were you supposed to get a set of posters for preordering at gamestop or just one?

Coz couple days back I got a set of the posters rolled up (5 or 6 I think), then when picked up the game today, the guy tore off one of the posters and gave me it :lol

Sned me some! :D

Also I wouldn't want that extreme special edition because MAN the rating sign is fugly! :lol

One thing that kinds irks me are the "half-cutscenes" with the little filmstrip borders and their lack of lip-synching for the dialogue.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Assembly Required said:
Just a tad too early, maybe? ...I have to say, it definitely picks up where DMC3 left off. Capcom really dropped the ball on 4 (imo).

Well, nah. It is the GOTY2010. Nothing can touch it. Bayonetta GOTF! Best action game I've ever played.

Top Bottom