• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

andymcc

Banned
thetrin said:
One thing I loved about the Shenmue was that failing QTEs didn't mean failing the sequence. You could still finish by stumbling over a box you failed to jump over, but it wasn't as graceful. I'm still not sure why that hasn't been replicated. Shenmue's was the first to popularize QTEs, yet no one has done them as well.

yeah, i agree. thing is, they could of made the QTEs more friendly in this game by just meaning if you miss you restart the qte with a loss of health, kind of like what happens whenever you fall of a ledge in the game.

Minamu

What CE is this? o_O

bayonettace.jpg

Sallokin

I think I saw a story on Kotaku about how that's a fan made CE with stuff the dude collected from Comic-Con etc. The gun is a prop from the mocap sessions. Super rare apparently.

Dave1988

Minamu said:
What CE is this? o_O

It's not.

SonicTHP said:
View Post
Here's my self-made American Bayonetta "Collector's Edition."
bayonettace.jpg

-1 Original Bayonetta Scarborough Fair Motion Capture Prop - One of two in the world. Won at the Little Angels's Event at San Diego Comic Con. The frame was signed by:
Mari Shimazaki - Character Designer (Bayonetta, Okami)
Yusuke Hashimoto - Producer (Bayonetta, Devil May Cry)
Atsushi Inaba - Platinum Games Director and Producer (Okami, Viewtiful Joe series)
Tatsuya Minami - President and CEO of Platinum Games

-1 Bayonetta T-shirt designed by Mari Shimazaki

-1 Platinum Games T-shirt

-8 Bayonetta posters - Acquired as a Gamestop pre-order bonus

-1 Platinum Games shiny sticker

-1 Bayonetta Head shot signed by Yusuke Hashimoto, Mari Shimazaki, and JP Kellams

-1 Bayonetta original soundtrack (5 discs)

-1 copy of Bayonetta (PS3 because I like the controller better).

It took some time, effort, and money to get these, but I think she's worth it.

Those QTE in the first few chapters are killing my scores, I really wish they put a bloody palace or something so I can get these combos right too. I feel like I am mashing buttons right now.

Fugu

andymcc said:
yeah, i agree. thing is, they could of made the QTEs more friendly in this game by just meaning if you miss you restart the qte with a loss of health, kind of like what happens whenever you fall of a ledge in the game.
Personally I've never "enjoyed" a QTE and I hate the feeling of losing health (much less dying) from something largely out of my control without prior knowledge. I'm really glad the number of QTEs drops off rapidly as the game progresses (the ones in the Chapter XIV
boss fight
were enjoyable though due to smart placement).

How the hell do you time a dodge offset when the game goes into slow motion but not witch time? This is fucking me up bad.

careksims

I do agree with a lot with the QTEs and the Half Cutscenes. Still this is a bad ass bitch of a game! Just keep doing making those expressions Bayonetta.

Fugu

Is there any way to do the first Alfheim if you just have the Shuraba and Onyx Roses?
Yes. Hit them in witch time or use wicked weaves (dodge offset or whiff P K and then hit with P).

If you can dodge offset well enough/have that option available to you (I don't remember if it's an unlock or not), use PPKKK and dodge offset PPK if you can't witch time well enough or something. I don't know why that would ever come up considering the way you're supposed to beat that is by witch time, but eh...

XenoRaven

Are the Onyx Roses the shotguns? I'm stupid and don't remember what the shotguns are called. Either way, they do big damage to those mini-bosses in the Alfheim. I would try those.

Fugu said:
Yes. Hit them in witch time or use wicked weaves (dodge offset or whiff P K and then hit with P).

If you can dodge offset well enough/have that option available to you (I don't remember if it's an unlock or not), use PPKKK and dodge offset PPK if you can't witch time well enough or something. I don't know why that would ever come up considering the way you're supposed to beat that is by witch time, but eh...
I meant the second one. I think I missed the first one. Eh.

EDIT: Nevermind. Did it. :)

Fugu

Is it the one with 7 punches and 6 kicks, then?

Yes, also possible.
Equip your guns and use PPKKK but hold the button down until you've shot as many times as possible (that'll only be twice if you're using shotguns) for maximum damage.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing I loved about the Shenmue was that failing QTEs didn't mean failing the sequence. You could still finish by stumbling over a box you failed to jump over, but it wasn't as graceful. I'm still not sure why that hasn't been replicated. Shenmue's was the first to popularize QTEs, yet no one has done them as well.
QTEs have evolved to the point where most games don't use them as actual sequences, rather, as context sensitive actions (look at Resident Evil 4 and 5). It's not all that common to find games where you have entire action sequences handled with QTE-style button presses.

Heavy Rain is obviously trying to replicate this to an even greater degree, which is nice, as it is completely context sensitive and allows complete failure in a QTE sequence without a retry.

Ok...I am fucking annoyed by the stupid dogs/fairness guys...can anyone give me tips?

fighting one is fine...but when Im fighting 2 at a time and they just take turns eating me and spitting me out...shit just feels cheap.

oh yea, love the game...best action game ever..

but fuck these dogs

Alright, I'm getting seriously pissed now. I've died 5 times against the two floating missile boat enemies in Chapter 9. I keep falling off and losing health and if you miss a dodge and get hit with the missiles it's 1/4 of the life bar gone.

Fugu

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Ok...I am fucking annoyed by the stupid dogs/fairness guys...can anyone give me tips?

fighting one is fine...but when Im fighting 2 at a time and they just take turns eating me and spitting me out...shit just feels cheap.

oh yea, love the game...best action game ever..

but fuck these dogs
This was a pain in the ass for me on my first playthrough. The first thing I can suggest is to use quick combos (PKP works great, especially if you can offset PK) until one of them gives you a chance to get into witch time/one of them runs into a wall and gets stunned.

The second thing is that if it's the charge bite that's getting you, the difficult part about dodging it is that there's a lunge; if you just wait for them to run up to you before dodging, you're going to get your ass bit, so you should be dodging from a fair distance. Once you get the timing down, it's pretty easy to get witch time (bat time not so much) off of this attack. If it's the stationary bite, well, they emit a big glowing light before they bite you. It doesn't get much more obvious than that.

Red Blaster said:
Alright, I'm getting seriously pissed now. I've died 5 times against the two floating missile boat enemies in Chapter 9. I keep falling off and losing health and if you miss a dodge and get hit with the missiles it's 1/4 of the life bar gone.
If you haven't bought bat time yet, do it.

XenoRaven

Fugu said:
This was a pain in the ass for me on my first playthrough. The first thing I can suggest is to use quick combos (PKP works great, especially if you can offset PK) until one of them gives you a chance to get into witch time/one of them runs into a wall and gets stunned.

The second thing is that if it's the charge bite that's getting you, the difficult part about dodging it is that there's a lunge; if you just wait for them to run up to you before dodging, you're going to get your ass bit, so you should be dodging from a fair distance. Once you get the timing down, it's pretty easy to get witch time (bat time not so much) off of this attack. If it's the stationary bite, well, they emit a big glowing light before they bite you. It doesn't get much more obvious than that.

It's the Crow, not the Bat. The Crow will let you fly back to the bridge after you blow up the ship.

HYDE

Banned
HiResDes said:
People jump on every opportunity to try and shit all over Itagaki, but the truth is that the man always keeps his hater repellant handy, just in case hatorade drinkin' suckas like you try to put him down. Nobody fucks Itagaki, but rather Itagaki fucks you.

I think this Itagaki hate is funny, because it is clear Ninja Gaiden has been borrowed from a lot in Bayonetta. Of course it has more in common with Devil May Cry 1/3/4, but it plays a lot like Ninja Gaiden also. Oh, and Mario Galaxy/Zelda Twilight Princess (imo).

Ninja Gaiden is an absolute must play kick ass series all in its own right.

@fixed2bebroken: I held the shoot button while slowly walking away, letting them get pretty close. when they are about to snatch you up and eat you, quickly activate witch time and whoop ass, rinse and repeat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Red Blaster said:
The floating boat enemies :lol

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm really stunned at a few things: first, the performance of this game is not great. I HATE "cinematic" slowdowns, and I'm sure there's a few that weren't "cinematic" either. I feel like I am playing underwater sometimes, and it's really not justified given how the game looks most of the time (I also have been encountering tons of tearing in non-combat situations). Second, the art design is incredibly hideous. I like Bayonetta and her 9 foot tall hairsuit, but the enemy design is, like, so weak (and so much weaker than any of Kamiya's other games). Some of these bosses are deviantart rejects, with tentacles and hoses and fists just coming out of every orifice. WTF at the monster boat or dog with penis face? Good lord. Some of the designs remind me of Monster Hunter if you took those designs, made them on fire/have them vomit, and added phalluses.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
QTEs have evolved to the point where most games don't use them as actual sequences, rather, as context sensitive actions (look at Resident Evil 4 and 5). It's not all that common to find games where you have entire action sequences handled with QTE-style button presses.

Heavy Rain is obviously trying to replicate this to an even greater degree, which is nice, as it is completely context sensitive and allows complete failure in a QTE sequence without a retry.

And I commend games that are attempting this. RE4 and 5 had great QTE implementation. The sad thing, though, is that more often than not, that really isn't the case. Heavy Rain and RE are not the norm, but exceptions.

Raxus

HYDE said:
I think this Itagaki hate is funny, because it is clear Ninja Gaiden has been borrowed from a lot in Bayonetta. Of course it has more in common with Devil May Cry 1/3/4, but it plays a lot like Ninja Gaiden also. Oh, and Mario Galaxy/Zelda Twilight Princess (imo).

Ninja Gaiden is an absolute must play kick ass series all in its own right.
As a Ninja Gaiden fan I think I speak for everyone when I say 'aw HELL no'. Bayonetta's action and Ninja Gaiden's actions are miles apart and that is just talking about defensive applications. Enemies, weapon pick ups, etc. Are all different.

That said NG:Black and Bayonetta are topping my charts as best action games ever.

hulot

.:Wesker:. said:
I had one person playing on my friends list, then again that means absolutely nothing. It did well in Japan, I believe it sold over 250,000 in its first week.
If we all add each other, then it'll mean the game sold well ;)

thetrin said:
- Muscley bald men (in the form of Rodin)
Rodin even says he tried out for a bald space-marine role.

Played for 3 hours last night. Story and cutscenes are too long, but man, is this shit fun to play. Absolutely fucking love it. So far I don't love it quite as much as Ninja Gaiden, but it's still amazingly fun. Such a great game.

It's funny, I hear all the time about how Japanese development sucks nowadays, but between this and Demon's Souls, well, I'm pretty fuckin' impressed by some of the shit Japan's coming out with these days. I realize that I'm only talking about two games here, but something about the gameplay fidelity (I almost barfed typing that) in a top tier Japanese game is something I believe is still unmatched in any Western-developed game I've played. Don't get me wrong- I love a ton of North American/European games as well, but I think when criticising Japanese game development people too often focus on the negative aspects and take games like this for granted.

Fugu said:

thanks....now that you made me realize that fighting them is all about dodging/witchtime...they are cake

Fugu

XenoRaven said:
It's the Crow, not the Bat. The Crow will let you fly back to the bridge after you blow up the ship.
No, bat time lets you dodge while you're getting hit giving you extra frames to dodge attacks mid-combo. Like a missile combo.

Its most noticeable difference is against Glories. You can't dodge a combo while it's happening regularly, but bat time lets you get out.

Raxus

I still can't do the first limited challenge for punches and kicks. I may have to turn in my action game fan card out of shame until I get used to the combat.

Fugu

Raxus said:
I still can't do the first limited challenge for punches and kicks. I may have to turn in my action game fan card out of shame until I get used to the combat.
I hate 'em. I hate 'em all. Are you using Scarborough Fair? Hold down the button while you're comboing so that you keep shooting after you punch (if you're not already doing that. It doesn't really make it that much easier).

Fixed2BeBroken said:
thanks....now that you made me realize that fighting them is all about dodging/witchtime...they are cake
(PK)P is helpful. Try it.

Raxus

I hold the fire button down at the end of the combo but I don't do it between kicks or punches as I am doing the combo (If that is possible).

HYDE

Banned
Raxus said:
As a Ninja Gaiden fan I think I speak for everyone when I say 'aw HELL no'. Bayonetta's action and Ninja Gaiden's actions are miles apart and that is just talking about defensive applications. Enemies, weapon pick ups, etc. Are all different.

That said NG:Black and Bayonetta are topping my charts as best action games ever.

You aren't speaking for everyone, as Ninja Gaiden is my most favorite game ever made.
The argument was the same for me during DMC/Ninja Gaiden era also. For me, they are not miles apart, just blocks(literally). Bayonetta has an evolved better feel and all sorts of the same awesome. I just think this game is more than just a DMC clone, but adapts a few Ninja Gaiden/GOW elements as well. I understand in Ninja Gaiden its all about blocking and Bayonetta its all about dodging. I've played both and have my views, you have yours. Lets just agree both games are absolutely awesome, end of story.

I was just hoping to raise awareness for both awesome games.
For those on the fence, jump off and go buy Bayonetta, now!

Raxus said:
I hold the fire button down at the end of the combo but I don't do it between kicks or punches as I am doing the combo (If that is possible).

Yes. You can hold down punch and kick DURING combos to fire. You just have to make sure to continue the combo before the animation and shooting ends, but you'd be surprised how long you can fire.

That coupled with dodge offest is what makes the combat so much fun for me. For the first time in an action game I feel almost completely in control of how my combos play out

Raxus

Fugu said:
It's not possible. What combo are you doing? PPKKK is great because it has two wicked weaves.
Did you do 1 or 2 of those? I always save my kicks for the bread and butter weave combo.

I can't quite put my finger on it but, Bayonetta just isn't...ugh. I'm undeniably having a hard time really enjoying it. It just isn't clicking with me. I admittedly had a similar issue with DMC3, but it pertained mostly to how difficult it was. Bayonetta? Not so much, it's definitely not the level of difficulty. The thing is DMC3 and I eventually began to "click" and I'm hoping the same happens with Bayonetta.

Honestly, Bayonetta is the true DMC3 successor. It takes all of the mechanics from the previous DMCs and adds different levels of refinement, allowing for more options while engaged in combat with multiple foes. And in on honesty, Bayonetta to me is just a refined product of an already well established franchise. And that in NO WAY is a bad thing.

I feel Bayonetta is taking the steps necessary toward moving the 'Action' genre forward as a whole but it's not quite there. It's going to take more than the refinement of well known mechanics, imo. Bayonetta is definitely in a league of it's own if it were in what I dubbed the 'combo-centric, over-the-top, anime inspired (yeah, I said it) action' sub-genre.

Anyway, when (or if?) I figure out what's preventing me from enjoying Bayonetta, I will definitely keep y'all posted.

And PLEASSSSSSE do not get me wrong, there's a lot I love about this game (such as the fluidity of the combat system) but it has its flaws.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also I'm actively trying to follow the story and I cannot. It seems totally nonsensical and I don't understand why I'm in one place and then in someplace else the next.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love fighting the boats! :lol

Make sure you dodge/shoot out of the sky the missiles any other boats around shoot at you.

The trick is to not panic! Just relax, take your time. You can focus on getting an awesome medal later, just focus on learning the attack patterns the first time. Play defensively!

Dave1988

Y2Kev said:
Also I'm actively trying to follow the story and I cannot. It seems totally nonsensical and I don't understand why I'm in one place and then in someplace else the next.

Don't.try.to.make.sense.of.the.story. Just don't. You'll be better off that way.

lol @ people who were expecting a meaningful story and conventional art direction from a game that's trying its best to re-define "over the top" Japanese style.

Fugu

Rez said:
I love fighting the boats! :lol

Make sure you dodge/shoot out of the sky the missiles any other boats around shoot at you.

The trick is to not panic! Just relax, take your time. You can focus on getting an awesome medal later, just focus on learning the attack patterns the first time. Play defensively!
You should use the boats as the only opportunity you're ever going to get to shoot missiles as a breakdancing witch with guns strapped to her feet.

Man I really love games like Ninja Gaiden and even enjoyed DMC4 but for some reason the demo of Bayonetta didn't do it for me. It just didn't seem to flow well enough and I didn't find the combat satisfying. Am I crazy?

Ninja Face said:
Man I really love games like Ninja Gaiden and even enjoyed DMC4 but for some reason the demo of Bayonetta didn't do it for me. It just didn't seem to flow well enough and I didn't find the combat satisfying. Am I crazy?

No. The demo turned me off too. I simply trusted the hands on impressions of people with the full game, and they were right. The full game is much much better than the demo

Top Bottom