• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Ninja Face said:
Man I really love games like Ninja Gaiden and even enjoyed DMC4 but for some reason the demo of Bayonetta didn't do it for me. It just didn't seem to flow well enough and I didn't find the combat satisfying. Am I crazy?
Yeah you are, I've never played a game with such a smooth battle system that escalates with crazy power. But I guess if you disagree with that then that makes me the crazy person.

Ninja Face said:
Man I really love games like Ninja Gaiden and even enjoyed DMC4 but for some reason the demo of Bayonetta didn't do it for me. It just didn't seem to flow well enough and I didn't find the combat satisfying. Am I crazy?
yeah

Coverly

Love this game! Did not expect it to be so over the top. Didn't get to play too much yesterday but I'm planning to overdose on it the second I get home today.

Question on the premium theme for this game: mine just shows a casket draped over with an american flag, and all other sections(like marketplace) have a blank grey background. Is that an error, or how is the bayonetta premium these suppose to look?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Ninja Face said:
I'd say so. Spend some time with the full game. The combat is awesome and definitely flows.

Dahbomb

Ninja Face said:
Full game is much better than the demo, that is for sure. You might not be crazy but if you enjoyed those 2 games then you should definitely give Bayonetta a reasonable try.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I just finished on easy. I tried to start a game on Normal in hopes to bring over what I got on Easy, but I don't see it. How do I start a New+ game?

Peff

Vilix said:
Okay, I just finished on easy. I tried to start a game on Normal in hopes to bring over what I got on Easy, but I don't see it. How do I start a New+ game?

Just press RB/R1 in the "Gates of Hell/Play/Save" screen and change the difficulty and level. You don't have to finish the game in order anymore.

Oh man I just did the first wicked weave alfheim and its probably the most fun I had with the game yet. Once you just get into the rhythm its just so zen, nothing touches you.

Kevtones

Okay so it keeps happening. Random levels just WON'T SHOW UP. The small details like cars or other things are there but the actual ground is gone. Anyone have any knowledge of this happening or is my 360 maybe borked?

Giolon

Whew, this game has a tougher learning curve than I expected. I sailed through Chapter I but I've been having an increasing amount of trouble with Chapters II onward (I'm on VII now). Enemies sure don't seem to drop much health - which is a problem, especially after Chapter III starts you out with a
Jeanne
battle and then your health persists into the rest of the level. By the time I made it to Chapter V, I've been doing a little better I think but I've got to use 2-3 health lolipops to make it through - and that's really cutting into my Halo supply for things like new moves and accessories. I still can't remember any wicked weave combos and execute them other than YBY (my usage count for that has got to be in the hundreds) and using the same move over and over isn't much fun. I wish that the loading screen practice room with the move list could just be accessed any time.

ConcealedBlaze said:
No. The demo turned me off too. I simply trusted the hands on impressions of people with the full game, and they were right. The full game is much much better than the demo

Thanks, I'll rent the full game and give it a shot. :D

Whoo beat the game(normal).
It rules.

The prologue on hard sucks my nut though. 3 torture attacks on pairs of those clawed dudes without witch-time? Ughhhhhhh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I made it up to chapter 5, the Coliseum fight with Fortunido was amazing... so fucking epic and it's only chapter 4. Bayonetta definitely lives up to the hype so far, it's one of those rare games that works on so many levels.

I hope the Joe Pesci guy comes back, he was awesome.

andymcc

Banned
i'm getting ready to start chapter 12 tonight. i was going to try to make it last seeing this is the last game i'm buying for awhile because i'm saving for vacation but i couldn't help myself. :lol

Peff

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It rules.

The prologue on hard sucks my nut though. 3 torture attacks on pairs of those clawed dudes without witch-time? Ughhhhhhh.

That was the last chapter I finished on hard :lol Just finish the rest getting magic Lollipops in Angel Attack and use them there so you can do three in a row.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
PepsimanVsJoe said:
It rules.

If you can't use witch time the evil rosary accessory is your best friend.

BeeDog

Figured I'd ask, as preparation before my copy arrives;

- Can you get stuck in a "you're-fucked" situation a la the Ninja Gaiden games where you don't have any healing items etc.? That is, it basically forces you to restart the game, or revert to an earlier save?
- Can you change difficulty on the fly?
- Can you grind in any way (e.g. jumping back to an earlier chapter in an already-ongoing game and redo it)?
- Let's say I wanna tackle the game on the hardest difficulty some time in the future; how generous is the game with continues/save points (checkpoints)/items/money/grinding etc.? (sorta connected to my first question)

Hopefully someone can answer these, thanks in advance.

BeeDog said:
Figured I'd ask, as preparation before my copy arrives;

- Can you get stuck in a "you're-fucked" situation a la the Ninja Gaiden games where you don't have any healing items etc.? That is, it basically forces you to restart the game, or revert to an earlier save?
- Can you change difficulty on the fly?
- Can you grind in any way (e.g. jumping back to an earlier chapter in an already-ongoing game and redo it)?
- Let's say I wanna tackle the game on the hardest difficulty some time in the future; how generous is the game with continues/save points (checkpoints)/items/money/grinding etc.? (sorta connected to my first question)

Hopefully someone can answer these, thanks in advance.

Your never really fucked. You will always respawn at the nearest checkpoint and with full heath. You can usually beat any boss with a full bar once you know the pattern.

Difficulty on the fly, yep!

Grind, yep. Can replay any levels before beating the game.

Think that about covers it.

Dreavus

Just entered Paradiso for the first time.

Man, this game is beautiful. It really makes you wonder what an HD Okami would look like.

Moving from inside a
volcano
to there was pretty jaw dropping. The way the music shifted to be completely calm as well was amazing. I actually spent a minute just looking around in there. :D

I have a question for people who don't like the story: Have you been reading everything in the files section? Because honestly, I feel like without those files the world would make almost no sense, the story would seem WAY more disconnected, and overall the game's atmosphere/story/world would be much, much less amazing. Because I'm on Chapter VIII, and right now the story and world are absolutely enthralling. Way more so than almost any game in recent memory.

BeeDog

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Your never really fucked. You will always respawn at the nearest checkpoint and with full heath. You can usually beat any boss with a full bar once you know the pattern.

Difficulty on the fly, yep!

Grind, yep. Can replay any levels before beating the game.

Think that about covers it.

Awesome, so I guess even the hardest difficulty level might prove to be passable even for an average gamer such as myself. Woo!

My review:

So I rented this game as a huge skeptic on a Master Ninja's recommendation. I'm a hardcore action game fan but the demo just seemed like DMC4 on steroids. I wasn't entirely wrong after finishing the game, but I was pleasantly surprised. Before I say anything else, Bayonetta is an extremely fun and satisfying game. The pacing is great, there's tons of variety and the gameplay flows well. As a videogame, Bayonetta is definitely worth a 9/10 in anyone's book. I just started hard mode, so I'm not going to make comments on difficulty, since normal mode wasn't meant for action fans.

The good:
-Medium-sized enemies recall the Shadows and Agni and Rudra from earlier DMCs.
-Dodge offset is a great idea and is Bayonetta's biggest contribution to the genre.
-Incredibly varied gameplay keeps you hooked.
-Best arenas in an action game.
-Jeanne fights are all solid.
-Bonus arenas are great.
-
BOSS RUSH

The bad:
-shitty flashback-style cutscenes that happen way too often.
-Boss fights are entertaning and hugely dynamic, but ultimately work like every other giant monster in action games.
-early levels are bland to the point of being a turn-off.
-Tons of unlockables, but few are practical or serve a real purpose in combat.
-Too many combos that serve the same purpose, there doesn't seem to be a great organization to the move set.
-no real incentive to change weapons, the sword works equally well on everything
-the size of your attacks can sometimes get in the way of seeing your opponent's movements
-not much normal enemy variety at the end of the game

The ugly:
-Getting hit by background effects because the camera constantly swings towards enemies instead of where you point it.
-Missing platforms because the camera moves up when you jump
-
Thinking that the final QTE event was a tribute to the legendary Meteor summon and trying to slam into Pluto

Final Verdict:
- Fun even if you don't like hardcore gameplay. Devil May Cry's lock on, enemies and move set, Ninja Gaiden's dodge roll, God Hand's personality, Shinobi's camera flash, God of War's QTE's, and of course, Clover Studio's knack for making a game for gamers.

How does it stack up(subject to change after playing higher difficulties):
S: God Hand
A: Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry
A-: Devil May Cry 3 SE
B+: Bayonetta
B: Ninja Gaiden 2
B-: Shinobi
D+: Rygar
D:God of War series
F: Devil May Cry 2

This is just my opinion, not trying to start shit.

ConcealedBlaze said:
I have a question for people who don't like the story: Have you been reading everything in the files section? Because honestly, I feel like without those files the world would make almost no sense, the story would seem WAY more disconnected, and overall the game's atmosphere/story/world would be much, much less amazing. Because I'm on Chapter VIII, and right now the story and world are absolutely enthralling. Way more so than almost any game in recent memory.

No, I find no interest in doing so...the plot, themes, etc. I don't find interesting in any way what-so-ever. Am I doing myself an injustice? No, I feel that the plot interested you enough to want to learn more than what's going on above the surface...the backstory, history, etc.

I'm enjoying the fluidity of the combat, experimenting with different combination of attacks, creating the longest combo. The world nor story interest me at all. Bayonetta herself is tolerable.

ConcealedBlaze said:

Well while its cool the game offers these, I stopped reading them about halfway through the game. Why? Because for a game as action packed at this, stopping to read a couple paragraphs of text is not exactly something suited well for a game like this. RPG's sure. Even survival horror it makes a little more sense. Yet I get a feeling most will just want to see what happens next and get back to the wonderful action. I plan on reading them again and the ones I didn't read on another playthrough.

ConcealedBlaze said:
I have a question for people who don't like the story: Have you been reading everything in the files section? Because honestly, I feel like without those files the world would make almost no sense, the story would seem WAY more disconnected

I never read a single one, and the whole thing made zero sense, but that's not why I played anyway. I skipped the cutscene before the last boss.

Curufinwe

God's Beard said:
How does it stack up(subject to change after playing higher difficulties):

No DMC 4?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
God's Beard said:
I never read a single one, and the whole thing made zero sense, but that's not why I played anyway. I skipped the cutscene before the last boss.

...And we're supposed to give two shits about what you think...how?

God's Beard said:
-Tons of unlockables, but few are practical or serve a real purpose in combat.
-Too many combos that serve the same purpose, there doesn't seem to be a great organization to the move set.
-no real incentive to change weapons, the sword works equally well on everything
-not much normal enemy variety at the end of the game

First of all, the game has more unlockable weapons than any other action games out there. Secundo, if you can't see the purposes in the combos, you can't play for shit. Thirdio, if you didn't see the variety in the use of weapons, you...well, can't play for shit. And fourtio. No enemy variety? Are you fucking kidding me? The game has more enemy types than any goddamn action games of it's kind.

careksims

Oh I'll probably read those story bits after I beat the game, but I do watch all the new cut scenes. Thank goodness there is a skip button. All games need that!

While I was curious about the various journals and backstory, I quickly stopped trying to read them because I wanted to jump into the action, especially with my limited gaming time after work. I might read them at some point down the line, but probably won't get to do them.

ultim8p00

Banned
The Cereza cutscene is the only one I've watched. The cutscenes are SO FUCKING TERRIBLE. I can't stand it. They should have just shipped the game with all the levels and no story.

ultim8p00 said:
The Cereza cutscene is the only one I've watched. The cutscenes are SO FUCKING TERRIBLE. I can't stand it. They should have just shipped the game with all the levels and no story.

Watching the cutscenes out of order probably didn't help your impressions at all, either

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ultim8p00 said:

If you've skipped all the cutscenes, how do you know they're terrible?

Augemitbutter said:
some of you guys seriously skipped the godly-awesome cutscenes? :lol

that's simply terrible.

The cutscenes are amazing. I have been watching every single one so far.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
So how would y'all rate the difficulty vis-a-vis other action games? I think I'll just start on easy for the first playthrough. This will be the game that christens my new Elite.

God's Beard said:

I agree 100%. I haven't beaten Bayonetta yet, but I don't feel as though it's better than the games you included in your S, A, and A- tiers. At least, not so far.

It's still better than all the other shit coming out this generation though.

ultim8p00

Banned
thetrin said:
If you've skipped all the cutscenes, how do you know they're terrible?

The cutscenes are amazing. I have been watching every single one so far.

Actually, what I meant to say was that the Cereza cutscene is the only one I watched completely. All the others I watched for like 4 to 5 seconds max and just skipped. At one point I didn't even bother and just kept skipping to get to the gameplay - you know, the part that is actually awesome. I don't know how some of you think the cutscenes are awesome. I feel like stabbing myself everytime a cutscene comes up.

Volcynika

ultim8p00 said:
Actually, what I meant to say was that the Cereza cutscene is the only one I watched completely. All the others I watched for like 4 to 5 seconds max and just skipped. At one point I didn't even bother and just kept skipping to get to the gameplay - you know, the part that is actually awesome. I don't know how some of you think the cutscenes are awesome. I feel like stabbing myself everytime a cutscene comes up.

I find them incredibly over the top and crazy, which is very entertaining to watch. Especially some of the pre/post boss ones.

My only problem with the cutscenes is that they're too long

They're pretty obviously not meant to be taken seriously

You just kinda go "Hah, she put lipstick on that guy" and enjoy Yuri Lowenthal

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ultim8p00 said:

Because they're hilarious, and gaming isn't serious business for us?

TheExodu5

Banned
I gotta say one more problem I have with the game: the damned 360 controller. It's fine for everything but using the damned RB to lock on while pressing Y to attack is uncomfortable as hell. I realize you can double-tap a direction to do the stinger like moves, but it just doesn't feel quite right.

I really want a PC version so I can play this with a DS3 at 1080p/60fps/no-tearing.

thetrin

Yeah, it's a shame the PS3 version is not nearly as good as the 360 version, or I would have picked that up instead.

ultim8p00 said:

We think the cutscenes are awesome because we saw them.

Your opinion on the cutscenes are void. It's like hating on a type of food without even ever trying it.

thetrin

FlashbladeGAF said:
We think the cutscenes are awesome because we saw them.

Your opinion on the cutscenes are void. It's like hating on a type of food without even ever trying it.

Which is funny, because people do that ALL THE TIME.

Top Bottom