• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Zeliard

Bayonetta and Demon's Souls are by a pretty good margin the best console exclusives I've played this entire gen.

Japan can still make some fucking games.

d0c_zaius

Assembly Required said:
The Card Player, no need to get all defensive. Jesus.

TheCardPlayer said:
...And we're supposed to give two shits about what you think...how?

well hes shown that hes played similar action games enough to provide a somewhat plausible personal ranking...

he took the time to post a somewhat balanced review that could be disagreed with at points, but at least its coherent and somewhat balanced....

he took the time to respond to a question...

and considering I agree with some of his points, (some of the cutscenes are so played out and long) I'll give the two shits about what hes thinking and add some of my own.

Good:

Everything gameplay related
Paradiso looks awesome
Weapon design and versatility is very user friendly
Enemy designs (angel then damaged version) feel unique and have personality
Nice item creation system in an action game
Bat-counter is very satisfying to use

Bad:

Some mini game sequences go on too long and the gimmick wears out quick
Some cutscenes feel overly long, goofy and played out (twin snakes on crack)
Story from the game to book/files feels disjointed
Vigrid is a boring locale
Many store bought techniques seem boring and somewhat useless
Luka is terrible and kills the mood of the game for me, over and over and over
Screen tearing (360 version)

and yes I actually watched all the cutscenes

ultim8p00

Banned
FlashbladeGAF said:
We think the cutscenes are awesome because we saw them.

Your opinion on the cutscenes are void. It's like hating on a type of food without even ever trying it.

Actually no. It's more like me tasting a type of food and it tasting like shit, and people telling me that it's because I didn't eat it all. Like I said, to each his own. I personally think the cutscenes are terrible and they actually get in the way of me enjoying the game.

Also read what you quote and understand before responding, rather than just picking something out of it.

Dahbomb

Zeliard said:
Bayonetta and Demon's Souls are by a pretty good margin the best console exclusives I've played this entire gen.

Nvm... I got what you meant. :D

But I wished that Bayonetta would come on PC as well.

Yeah, I said pretty much the same thing a page or two back. It's so true though...while I understand a lot of the reasons people slag eastern developers, there's a certian level of polish that the best japanese games have that often don't appear in Western games.

Zeliard

Dahbomb said:
Wat? Unless you mean exclusively coming from Japan.

Well, at least at this point. I'm assuming we'll eventually see a PC version of Bayonetta but who knows when that'll be. Has it been announced?

Edit: oh nm. :p

But yeah, regardless, a PC version of this game would be GLORIOUS. It has to happen eventually.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I've noticed some pretty bad frame drops and screen tearing on the 360 version. =/ A PC version would be divine.

Regardless, this is an incredible game and one of the best action games I've played.

Chichikov

ShockingAlberto said:
My only problem with the cutscenes is that they're too long
Too long and too frequent.
I don't mind them that much in and by themselves, but I think they kinda hurt the flow of the game.
Not to the degree that would make me skip them, but replaying a chapter (and skipping all the cutscenes) just feel a whole lot better.

The game is just such a joy to play, that whenever I watch a cutscene I can't help but thinking - damn, I'd rather be blowing shit up right now.

ultim8p00 said:
Actually no. It's more like me tasting a type of food and it tasting like shit, and people telling me that it's because I didn't eat it all. Like I said, to each his own. I personally think the cutscenes are terrible and they actually get in the way of me enjoying the game.

Also read what you quote and understand before responding, rather than just picking something out of it.

I see your point. And while I am forcing myself to watch them, its torture...it just progressively gets worst. Seriously, her one liners make Dante look like Shakespeare.

danmaku

Volcynika said:
I find them incredibly over the top and crazy, which is very entertaining to watch. Especially some of the pre/post boss ones.

Bosses cutscenes are fun and Jeanne cutscenes show some amazing coreography, but I hated all the parts with Luka. He's a totally useless character, I don't know if they wanted him to be a comedy sidekick, like Enzo, or some kind of "weak male character", in opposition to Bayonetta, but either way it doesn't work (and yes, I watched ALL cutscenes). Not that it matters much, the game is awesome and it's not like there is any other game in the same genre that can show a good story so who cares.

TheCardPlayer said:
First of all, the game has more unlockable weapons than any other action games out there. Secundo, if you can't see the purposes in the combos, you can't play for shit. Thirdio, if you didn't see the variety in the use of weapons, you...well, can't play for shit. And fourtio. No enemy variety? Are you fucking kidding me? The game has more enemy types than any goddamn action games of it's kind.

Dude, calm down. :lol

@God'sBeard: That said, the unlockables and bought techniques aren't close to being superfluous and just because you took a liking to the sword does not mean someone else hasn't found their own sweet spot in terms of weapons(I myself have grown fond of the whip + fire Durga set).

Zeliard said:
Well, at least at this point. I'm assuming we'll eventually see a PC version of Bayonetta but who knows when that'll be. Has it been announced?

But yeah, regardless, a PC version of this game would be GLORIOUS. It has to happen eventually.
Sega kinda randomly decides if a game should come to PC and I don't think Platinum has a lot of PC experience, unlike Capcom.

I like it when she calls Luka
Cheshire Puss
Speaking of Luka, when he makes all those references to
capcom girls
in chapter 5 I think it is, who is
Anny
? She was the only one I didn't instantly recognize.

Scythesurge said:
Cheshire Puss
capcom girls
Anny
'Ammy' is a nickname for Amaterasu from Okami.

TheFreshPrince

Ok, at the end of chapters, when it is showing you your medal total, and overall chapter award....why am I getting some holes with no medals? Am I missing Verses, or what is going on? I've had 2 or 3 'holes' every chapter without a medal!

Any help?

Scythesurge said:
Cheshire Puss
capcom girls
Anny
Ammy, short for Amaterasu from Okami. He makes reference specifically to Kamiya-created girls - Claire, Trish, Sylvia, and Amaterasu.

conman

Archie said:
I've noticed some pretty bad frame drops and screen tearing on the 360 version. =/
Yeah. It's starting to drive me nuts. I thought I was safe by getting the 360 version instead of the PS3 version, but the screen tearing is pretty bad especially for such a high profile game made this late in the console cycle.

And people are seriously dissing the cutscenes? Have you never played a game from Japan before?!

danmaku

TheFreshPrince said:
Ok, at the end of chapters, when it is showing you your medal total, and overall chapter award....why am I getting some holes with no medals? Am I missing Verses, or what is going on? I've had 2 or 3 'holes' every chapter without a medal!

Any help?

holes = alfheim portals. They're hidden bonus levels, like the secret missions in DMC.

Zeliard

Chichikov said:
Too long and too frequent.
I don't mind them that much in and by themselves, but I think they kinda hurt the flow of the game.
Not to the degree that would make me skip them, but replaying a chapter (and skipping all the cutscenes) just feel a whole lot better.

The game is just such a joy to play, that whenever I watch a cutscene I can't help but thinking - damn, I'd rather be blowing shit up right now.

Gotta agree with this, though I can take some comfort in the fact that when I've gone through the game once, I can just skip the cutscenes every time and not feel that I'm missing anything.

Some of the cutscenes are pretty cool, but yeah, most are overlong or somewhat unnecessary.

I'd chalk it up to a minor criticism, personally, since everything else is so good that it just overwhelms the bad. Plus, this issue pretty much disappears entirely upon replay. The combat is so good that playing it, I keep thinking "how come no other game in the genre has ever felt quite this good?" It's just so damn smooth with the cancelling and linking.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sega kinda randomly decides if a game should come to PC and I don't think Platinum has a lot of PC experience, unlike Capcom.

Let's hope for the best.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
danmaku said:
holes = alfheim portals. They're hidden bonus levels, like the secret missions in DMC.

Can you open them the first time you visit the level? How do I replay a level to go find Alfheim portals?

I just started last night, and I got the wicked weave with dodge offset achievement in Chapter 2, and didn't even know what dodge offset was until 2 minutes ago. Heh.

Just finished it. I'm honestly speechless. Calling the last few chapters jaw dropping would be a gross understatement. It's more like some guy ripped my jaw off my face and sewed it back on upside down. That's how amazed I was.
Seriously, falling from a building while satellites shoot lasers at you and shit!
I've never felt such a rush.

Yeah, the plot twist was obvious when
you find out Cereza was Bayonetta the whole time. I was honestly convinced of that the second I saw her
. Still, the story was really enjoyable.

Calling this the evolution of action games isn't giving it enough credit. It has raised the bar so high that I am not even that my hype for God of War 3 has once again plummeted. Yeah I'll still buy it and probably enjoy it a great deal but I will be beyond shocked if it even holds a candle to this. Bayonetta is the new standard in which all action games should be judged.

I don't usually jump on the developer circle jerking bandwagon, but I'll make an exception here. KAMIYA IS A GOD!

Now to get my ass handed to me in hard mode :D

Volcynika

danmaku said:
Bosses cutscenes are fun and Jeanne cutscenes show some amazing coreography, but I hated all the parts with Luka. He's a totally useless character, I don't know if they wanted him to be a comedy sidekick, like Enzo, or some kind of "weak male character", in opposition to Bayonetta, but either way it doesn't work (and yes, I watched ALL cutscenes). Not that it matters much, the game is awesome and it's not like there is any other game in the same genre that can show a good story so who cares.

I find Luka to be hilarious in some of his, especially (near end of the game) when
he's mesmerized by Bayonetta's cleavage and she's like "Look!" turns and sees a missle heading their way, and just goes "Fuck me."
:lol

cosmicblizzard said:
Just finished it. I'm honestly speechless. Calling the last few chapters jaw dropping would be a gross understatement. It's more like some guy ripped my jaw off my face and sewed it back on upside down. That's how amazed I was.
Seriously, falling from a building while satellites shoot lasers at you and shit!
I've never felt such a rush.

Yeah, the plot twist was obvious when
you find out Cereza was Bayonetta the whole time. I was honestly convinced of that the second I saw her
. Still, the story was really enjoyable.

Calling this the evolution of action games isn't giving it enough credit. It has raised the bar so high that I am not even that my hype for God of War 3 has once again plummeted. Yeah I'll still buy it and probably enjoy it a great deal but I will be beyond shocked if it even holds a candle to this. Bayonetta is the new standard in which all action games should be judged.

I don't usually jump on the developer circle jerking bandwagon, but I'll make an exception here. KAMIYA IS A GOD!

Now to get my ass handed to me in hard mode :D
If you haven't been on the Clover/Platinum circle jerking bandwagon for a number of years then you've been doing something wrong ;)

Minamu

God's Beard: Where are you from? The guy in your avatar is a Swedish minister if I'm not entirely mistaken but I know of no place where you can rent games these days, especially not games not yet released here :)

Scythesurge said:
If you haven't been on the Clover/Platinum circle jerking bandwagon for a number of years then you've been doing something wrong ;)

I've loved pretty much everything Kamiya did before this but those were still creations of a very talented man. With Bayonetta, he has ascended to the level of God for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Archie said:
I've noticed some pretty bad frame drops and screen tearing on the 360 version. =/ A PC version would be divine.

Regardless, this is an incredible game and one of the best action games I've played.

Yeah the framerate isn't great, though thankfully it's pretty smooth during battles. The tearing is pretty brutal though.

This game more than makes up for it with awesome levels and setpieces though.

cosmicblizzard said:
I've loved pretty much everything Kamiya did before this but those were still creations of a very talented man. With Bayonetta, he has ascended to the level of God for me.
Resident Evil and DMC were enough for me, and all of his other great games just add to it. Bayonetta confirms his mastery even in the current gen and I can only hope he continues to create more fucking amazing games.

Fugu

thetrin said:
Can you open them the first time you visit the level? How do I replay a level to go find Alfheim portals?

I just started last night, and I got the wicked weave with dodge offset achievement in Chapter 2, and didn't even know what dodge offset was until 2 minutes ago. Heh.
You can open them. Most of them are in very strange places. You're probably better off using a guide (after finding one by fluke in an absolutely ridiculous place, I gave up on looking for them myself). The blanks don't necessarily mean that you missed an Alfheim; a blank could also indicate that you passed through a verse without seeing or killing an (optional) enemy.

An example from Chapter III:
When you're in the volcano, just after you rebuild the bridge and it collapses behind you, some Decorations and some other weak enemies will appear. It is perfectly possible to skip these enemies entirely, resulting in a blank medal for the verse.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fugu said:
You can open them. Most of them are in very strange places. You're probably better off using a guide (after finding one by fluke in an absolutely ridiculous place, I gave up on looking for them myself). The blanks don't necessarily mean that you missed an Alfheim; a blank could also indicate that you passed through a verse without seeing or killing an (optional) enemy.

An example from Chapter III:
When you're in the volcano, just after you rebuild the bridge and it collapses behind you, some Decorations and some other weak enemies will appear. It is perfectly possible to skip these enemies entirely, resulting in a blank medal for the verse.

Okay, that makes sense. Do blank medals hurt your overall score, or is your final medal an average of the medals you DID get?

Draft

Bayonetta feels like a game developed by guys who do NOT have a whole bunch of money. The fighting remains a near constant 60fps, as it should, but outside of the fighting there's mysterious slowdown (like all of the sudden it will slowdown in a very plain, boring tunnel or alley) and just absolutely crazy screen tearing.

Doesn't affect the gameplay, which is huge and praise worthy, but definitely mars a good looking game.

Fugu

thetrin said:
Okay, that makes sense. Do blank medals hurt your overall score, or is your final medal an average of the medals you DID get?
I honestly don't know. I'm trying to get platinum trophies on all of the stages now and I'm finding little correlation between whether or not I complete the Alfheims in the stage (In that I get a gold either way. Fuck this game
just kidding I love you Bayonetta
).

Draft said:
Bayonetta feels like a game developed by guys who do NOT have a whole bunch of money. The fighting remains a near constant 60fps, as it should, but outside of the fighting there's mysterious slowdown (like all of the sudden it will slowdown in a very plain, boring tunnel or alley) and just absolutely crazy screen tearing.

Seriously, what is up with that.

Holy shit bullets, explosions, and enemies everywhere what is going oooooooon KJGKFV>J! = 60 fps

Walking down a mostly empty street = 45 FPS

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Archie said:

Yeah, likewise. While I think the game is superior to DMC4, it's clear that this graphics engine is nowhere near as impressive as Capcom's MT Framework...

I just remembered, I came here to ask the location of the last LP piece for the ice skates.

Yes, I've already got the one at the very beginning of the level and I got the one from Joy.

V_Ben

Banned
Zeliard said:

interestingly enough, if you read the fine print in the uk magazine adverts for it, it mentions the gfwl logo and trademarks in the fine print. there is no such logo on the advert, nor is there mention of gfwl in other ps360 only games.

it'll come. eventually.

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game is so incredible. There is much to be said about a game with action gameplay so fucking pitch perfect that I can forget about the absurd trappings of the "too wacky" story and characters. I'm not from Japan so it's probably a cultural thing, but the gameplay transcends fucking all.

The visuals are a mixed bag, I think, some noticeable screen tearing, some low res textures in places, occasional lower geometry than I prefer to see, but the overall package is fucking so good. I mean it definitely has hiccups but even the framerate is really pretty good for a 360 game. And framerate is more important than low res textures, I tell you what!

Some of the challenges I find around the world (I forget the name of them, you go through a portal to do them) are so devious and so entertaining that I will spend ALL GODDAMN NIGHT trying to beat some of them. I consider myself to be a pretty great Devil May Cry player and a pretty decent Ninja Gaiden player, and an excellent God of War player, but Bayonetta is fucking bringing me to my knees on some of these challenges. I even got a little mini blister on my finger, a first for any game in any generation! My fingers are pussies!

Only wish I didn't have to start on Normal my first playthrough, was a waste of time. Too easy.

Peff

Fimbulvetr said:
I just remembered, I came here to ask the location of the last LP piece for the ice skates.

Yes, I've already got the one at the very beginning of the level and I got the one from Joy.

Then you're missing
the one in the area with the two dragonsnakes fight, hidden behind some rocks to the left of where you enter from

K.Sabot

Okay, so I'm a huge fan of DMC, but something doesn't feel right with Bayonetta. It might be how far the camera is pulled back, but that also happens in DMC (though not in fights). It feels pretty loose.

Barakov

It was weird to see some screen tearing once you got further into Vigrid while there wasn't much going on.

Just got to chapter 3 and it's definitely the most fun I've had with a game in awhile.

Giolon

Fimbulvetr said:

In the water room with the two snakes, head to the corner that is to the left of the entrance, I believe, and break a pile of rubble

Top Bottom