• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Thanks guys.

Speaking of weapons, I love the whip + fire Durga.

Creating a mine and than using the whip to pull an enemy into it is extrememly satisfying.

Plus fire Durga on feet lets you walk on lava.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Draft said:
Bayonetta feels like a game developed by guys who do NOT have a whole bunch of money. The fighting remains a near constant 60fps, as it should, but outside of the fighting there's mysterious slowdown (like all of the sudden it will slowdown in a very plain, boring tunnel or alley) and just absolutely crazy screen tearing.

Doesn't affect the gameplay, which is huge and praise worthy, but definitely mars a good looking game.
It's weird to see those two issues together. Tearing is usually caused by framerates above the refresh rate and large, mysterious framerate drops can be caused by vsync. The drops could also be due to streaming. Of course, the PC version would have none of those issues if you enable vysnc with triple buffering.

Fimbulvetr said:
Thanks guys.

Speaking of weapons, I love the whip + fire Durga.

Creating a mine and than using the whip to pull an enemy into it is extrememly satisfying.

Plus fire Durga on feet lets you walk on lava.

How do you get the whip?

LogicStep

Hideki Kamiya is a fucking GOD. This game is so awesome I can't believe it. I haven't seen a game like this ever, the presentation and the way the game likes to have fun with all the funny and quirky things that happen all the way to the very end. The gameplay is perfect DMC kind of game only faster and more fun imo. This game is seriously a masterpiece in my eyes. I loved all the characters, even Luka, I don't understand the hate. Anyways, pretty fucking amazing job Kamiya!

Junpei Heat

Y2Kev said:
OMG @ ch 12. The
jeanne
fight was instant classic!

That's nothing compared to CH.14
3568368673_cb150e7e6c_o.gif

Dreavus

Holy fuck at the fight in Chapter 4.
After you tear his heads off, you finish the fight in a rotating, exploding, airborne coliseum that is mostly on fire. HOLY SHIT.

That contained all the amazement of a final boss fight; reminded me of fighting the Savior in DMC4 a bit... except its only the forth level and 4738290 times more awesome.

Novid

Banned
Zeliard said:
Bayonetta and Demon's Souls are by a pretty good margin the best console exclusives I've played this entire gen.

Japan can still make some fucking games.

dont let the detractors fool you, the westerners have done very well towards the last two thirds of the last decade but the J-Developers stopped hearing to the Visual Drama/Moe/Semi-Mainstream wannibe Morning Masume generic crowd and started making some REAL shit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
deathsight580 said:
Hideki Kamiya is a fucking GOD. This game is so awesome I can't believe it. I haven't seen a game like this ever, the presentation and the way the game likes to have fun with all the funny and quirky things that happen all the way to the very end. The gameplay is perfect DMC kind of game only faster and more fun imo. This game is seriously a masterpiece in my eyes. I loved all the characters, even Luka, I don't understand the hate. Anyways, pretty fucking amazing job Kamiya!

Bayonetta is like going back in time, grabbing a load of Japanese developers circa 1996 - 2001 and bringing them to the future, giving them the team and the resources to make an impossibly polished production, and putting them on an HD game console. Then standing THE FUCK BACK and not saying a word... not one... tiny... little... bitch... about the style and content of their game. Let them do it any way they please, trusting them to know what the players actually want.

TheExodu5

Banned
SapientWolf said:
It's weird to see those two issues together. Tearing is usually caused by framerates above the refresh rate and large, mysterious framerate drops can be caused by vsync. The drops could also be due to streaming. Of course, the PC version would have none of those issues if you enable vysnc with triple buffering.

Tearing will happen at any framerate, other than a synchronized 60fps. It's most noticeable when the framerate is 'just' above or below the refresh rate of the display. As frames are being rendered just slightly too fast or too slow, there's a visible moving line that travels across the screen as it falls slowly out of sync with the refresh rate. A framerate significantly higher than the display's refresh rate is far less noticeable.

LogicStep

Kaijima said:
Bayonetta is like going back in time, grabbing a load of Japanese developers circa 1996 - 2001 and bringing them to the future, giving them the team and the resources to make an impossibly polished production, and putting them on an HD game console. Then standing THE FUCK BACK and not saying a word... not one... tiny... little... bitch... about the style and content of their game. Let them do it any way they please, trusting them to know what the players actually want.
:lol :lol Seriously man, this game is sooooo different from all the games that have come out so far this gen. It just has this fucking style to it that it's amazing.

Novid

Banned
Kaijima said:

truer words have never been spoken.

Fugu

TheExodu5 said:
Tearing will happen at any framerate, other than a synchronized 60fps. It's most noticeable when the framerate is 'just' above or below the refresh rate of the display. As frames are being rendered just slightly too fast or too slow, there's a visible moving line that travels across the screen as it falls slowly out of sync with the refresh rate. A framerate significantly higher than the display's refresh rate is far less noticeable.
It's not 60FPS, it's the refresh rate of the display device.

Damn, hard mode is harder than I was expecting. I died 4 times in the friggin prologue. I need to step up my game if I want to get 100% trophies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just beat the game, oh my fucking god.... Excellent.

I just wish I was better at this game, there's still a huge amount of awesome stuff that I can't even pull off yet :lol

ZeroRay

With my new 360, I totally forgot that I could download the demo until a few hours ago.

After playing it: WOW!! IQ and framerate is so much better compared to PS3. I'm just raging that it'll be more than a week till I get to play it in full glory.

Oh well, I have Mass Effect and Episodes from Liberty City to keep me occupied.

Rektash

Just ordered the Asia version on play-asia. Kinda enjoyed DMC4 but I definitly don t think highly of it. Loved DMC3, even though it was hard as fu** for me.
Addition: I have no problem with jpop and japanese cheesyness.

Will I enjoy Bayonetta?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chapter 14 Verse 3

Everyone else is a pretender. Kamiya :bow

Bayonetta feels like a game developed by guys who do NOT have a whole bunch of money

Excepting Viewtiful Joe, I think this may be Kamiya's cheapest games. Okami was hugely expensive and all the other games he worked on were rebooted like two or three times.

TheCardPlayer said:
...And we're supposed to give two shits about what you think...how?

Who said anything about caring about what I said? I just meant that the game is fun without knowing what the story is about. And for the record, I had to skip the last cutscene because my xbox fucked up. I actually like the normal cutscenes a lot, but the freeze-frame ones are all over the place and look really budget. As Draft noted, probably with reason.

First of all, the game has more unlockable weapons than any other action games out there.

I don't see what that has to do with what I said, and it's also not true.

Secundo, if you can't see the purposes in the combos, you can't play for shit. Thirdio, if you didn't see the variety in the use of weapons, you...well, can't play for shit.

Look. There are dozens of combos in this game, and most of them are superfluous within the same weapon set. They're mostly more or less all either A.a wicked weave combo for high damage, B.combo that ends in a launcher, or C.area of effect combos. There's a huge variety which is fun to play with, but for such a combo-heavy and aggressive game, I'd like to have seen more unique attacks. Remember, Hideki Kamiya billed this game as the best action game of all time, and I'm just calling him on it. Imagine if instead of choosing your moveset in God Hand, you just got to have all the moves at once. What's the point? That's a little how I feel about Bayonetta, the time spent developing half these combos could have been used to make ones with more unique purposes. Look at DMC1 and 3. Both have less combos than bayonetta, and both have far more moves with unique purposes. To be fair, the whip was pretty interesting, and I really liked Agni and Rudra. It just seems that there are a lot of holes, and the system could use a little polish. As an example, one thing that bugged me is that Bayonetta's jumping height doesn't match up with the way her attacks launch or enemy height in many situations, making the combo timing awkward if not necessarily difficult. Just little things like that. It's still a great game, but it's been so long since DMC1 and 3 that many people forget how well those games worked.

And fourtio. No enemy variety? Are you fucking kidding me? The game has more enemy types than any goddamn action games of it's kind.

I just meant that there aren't really any new normal enemies at the end of the game, or at least noticeably new behaviors. Hopefully this changes on higher difficulties, which is when my real review will come in. Calm down, man. Nothing personal.

Fimbulvetr said:
@God'sBeard: That said, the unlockables and bought techniques aren't close to being superfluous and just because you took a liking to the sword does not mean someone else hasn't found their own sweet spot in terms of weapons(I myself have grown fond of the whip + fire Durga set).

Fair enough. I did experiment with the other weapons as much as I could, but DPS always seemed to be faster with the sword, which also had better reach. I was probably trying to play too much like ninja gaiden and not enough like devil may cry, though, so I may have outright missed the purposes of many weapon combos(IE, flashy links). If so, I apologize in advance. I can already tell you that I never noticed that Agni lets you walk on lava.

Curufinwe said:
No DMC 4?

Whoops, I'll give that a B-, stick it next to Shinobi. Lots of missed opportunities in that game.

Lastly, I forgot to add my biggest complaint: no custom controls. Having dodge and lock-on on the same side bugs me. I know you can dodge with RB+Movement+A, DMC-style, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I would have swapped lock-on with weapon swap. It's such a small thing to ask, but I had to fight against the controls for a good portion of the game.

Minamu said:
God's Beard: Where are you from? The guy in your avatar is a Swedish minister if I'm not entirely mistaken but I know of no place where you can rent games these days, especially not games not yet released here :)

It's actually John Bancroft from the Kinsey Institute, and I'm from California, sorry :-(

mrpeabody

Game takes too long to get going. Start with a SHORT cutscene then let the player loose. The clock tower sequence is beautiful but it does not belong in the opening of a game.

Every cutscene is twice as long as it should be. The characters are paper-thin and the dialogue is cliched; cut your losses by making them as short as possible. DMC3's cutscenes were just as over the top and ridiculous, but they were never boring.

It doesn't help that the cutscenes are the only ugly part of an otherwise gorgeous game. Muddy ground textures, empty environments, the traditional abysmal 360 self-shadowing.

The actual game itself is wonderful.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The cutscenes have this strange brown filter on them that makes it look like someone smeared poo on the screen.

God's Beard said:
The bad:
-Tons of unlockables, but few are practical or serve a real purpose in combat.
-Too many combos that serve the same purpose, there doesn't seem to be a great organization to the move set.
-no real incentive to change weapons, the sword works equally well on everything
I strongly disagree with these points. It sounds like you need to unlock more weapons and accessories and really dig into the portal challenges.

I am at chapter 6 and enjoying the game a lot. I have yet to feel as comfortable with the combat as I do with DMC. I feel more in control in DMC. So I have some questions.

What makes the combo multiplier go up. It seems like sometimes it gets high. some times it does not, I think I am mixing up my attacks. Every time I get that angel spear and do that spinning attack the multiplier goes nuts. So what makes it go up?

I just got Durga, it seems they are just a replacement for the gun weapons. Looking through the moves list it looks identical. I know it replaces gunshots with bombs. Are there any moves I am missing or is it basically the same move list as the guns?

What are the best combination of weapons? I have the sword with the guns and the whip with durga. That is basically all the weapons I have at the moment.

Do you ever use lock on? I practically never use items, should I be using them?

I love the bonus levels that give you certain objectives, I feel that is the best way to learn the combat system.

Is there any way to map the
animal transformation trigger
to another button. I keep trying to dodge and eventually transform. It has completely destroyed the rhythm I had earlier in the game.

LiK

playing the 360 version on Normal, pretty awesome and fun. loving it.

i read reviews about the issues with the PS3 ver, ouch.

DoctorWho said:
Is there any way to map the
animal transformation trigger
to another button. I keep trying to dodge and eventually transform. It has completely destroyed the rhythm I had earlier in the game.
You can't remap them, but you can turn some of them off in the techniques menu.
MiamiWesker said:
I practically never use items, should I be using them?
Use them as a last resort if you hit a tough spot. Don't waste halos on them (except the moon and heart pieces) and craft them instead. And just like other action games if you care about score using items is penalized.

DY_nasty

God's Beard said:
The bad:
-Tons of unlockables, but few are practical or serve a real purpose in combat.
-Too many combos that serve the same purpose, there doesn't seem to be a great organization to the move set.
-no real incentive to change weapons, the sword works equally well on everything
Disagree with all of this right here. The sword is cute and all until you see the awesome power of the Durgas. Sword is for mobs only imo.

The combos are for every situation. There's literally one combo thats perfect for every situation. You can spam 3 or 4 and get by, but there's a perfect combo (and delay point) for every situation.

All of the unlockables are awesome, wtf are you talking about? Taunting to get my health back = gift from the heavens.

DY_nasty said:
Disagree with all of this right here. The sword is cute and all until you see the awesome power of the Durgas. Sword is for mobs only imo.

The combos are for every situation. There's literally one combo thats perfect for every situation. You can spam 3 or 4 and get by, but there's a perfect combo (and delay point) for every situation.

All of the unlockables are awesome, wtf are you talking about? Taunting to get my health back = gift from the heavens.

Actually Sword/Durgas was my go-to combo. I definitely need to finish unlocking the weapons, though. I still have an uncompleted LP. And a Master Ninja, you're absolutely right about finishing the alfheims, I just found out that beating all of them unlocks survival mode, which is something I thought was missing from this game.

What are the best accessories? I thought the taunt one sucked :-(

As I stated before, my early review was only preliminary, I still have to break through the other difficulties at least.

I wish there was an accessory that could automatically do the button-mashing QTEs for me. Jeanne fights were my favorite fights on Normal, but on Hard you need back to back 500 Gigatons to win those tug of war parts and that's too rough for my fingers.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game is so fucking crazy i dont know what the heck is going on half the time.

Damn there is like a bazillion moves to execute. I find myself standing in front of the tv weaving uncontrollably rather than sitting.

DY_nasty said:

Can you elaborate on the combo thing. Again I am still trying to get this combat system to click, it hasn't yet for me.

And what is up with your avatar. :p

sonicmj1

God's Beard said:
Actually Sword/Durgas was my go-to combo. I definitely need to finish unlocking the weapons, though. I still have an uncompleted LP. And a Master Ninja, you're absolutely right about finishing the alfheims, I just found out that beating all of them unlocks survival mode, which is something I thought was missing from this game.

What are the best accessories? I thought the taunt one sucked :-(

As I stated before, my early review was only preliminary, I still have to break through the other difficulties at least.

I haven't tried all the accessories, but of the ones I have tried, I'll tell you how I feel.

Selene's Light makes surviving most encounters a lot easier, since you can turn nearly any screwup into a combo. It's not going to get you better scores most of the time, but it's a useful crutch, in a way.

The Moon accessory (the one that lets you parry) has incredible utility, but isn't easy to utilize. Before I got this accessory, and thought about its implications, I tended to hold the control stick in whatever direction I was comboing in. You can't do that if you're going to use your abilities well with this thing. In exchange, it can stop pretty much any attack, and great timing gets you a counterattack and Witch Time. Very powerful in situations where Witch Time won't work, and it can earn you a bunch of magic power as well. Pretty much a must for higher difficulties.

The Gaze of Despair will make your combo scores ridiculous, since enraged enemies give you more points. Do they also give you more magic power? I'm not sure, but I suspect it after my taunting made some of those Torture Attack Alfheims go easier.

Witch Time is generally more useful than the Rosary, but when it isn't an option, this is really powerful against the smaller mobs. The explosion is a lot like a fully charged fire Durga bomb.

Haven't tried the taunt accessory, but outside of pretty specialized circumstances (Angel Slayer mode?), I doubt it's very useful.

This game is really damn good, and I'll keep playing it for a while. The only other action game that's earned this level of dedication from me is probably Ninja Gaiden Black.

DY_nasty

MiamiWesker said:
Can you elaborate on the combo thing. Again I am still trying to get this combat system to click, it hasn't yet for me.

And what is up with your avatar. :p
The combo system is a bit deeper than it lets on, especially when enemies like to start interrupting you. I'm still figuring it out myself (I'm horrible at delays) so I won't try and act like an expert on the whole system but once the game stops being so chaotic and begins to slow down, you can make better use of each strike and match your delays and movements with whoever you're fighting. I hit a hotstreak once I caught on near the end of the game, then shit got awesome, and I forgot what happened :lol

My avatar, lulz. Come back to the NBA thread, its in the last couple of pages.

DY_nasty

sonicmj1 said:
Haven't tried the taunt accessory, but outside of pretty specialized circumstances (Angel Slayer mode?), I doubt it's very useful.
The taunt acc worked out great for me because I have an aggressive play style. (Also because there's like never any heath drops in this game). For longer boss fights, it can save a newb from a lot of headaches.

God's Beard said:
How well does the dodge damage accessory work? I'm just worried losing witch time will make certain enemies a pain in the ass.

It does a lot of damage, it becomes most useful when taking on parts of the game where you can't use witch time(like the part where you have to do three torture attacks on the plane).

Wow, the ice skates are so good. Has the highest combo count out of any leg based weapon(I mean forming a combo only using kicks), lets your run(or skate rather) faster than normal, and can also go on lava.

The chance of freezing enemies is also pretty cool.

The whip complements it pretty well by letting you pull weaker enemies toward you or pulling yourself toward enemies.

This game lives and dies with it's combat and Boss battles. The combat is spot on, and the Bosses have been epic so far; ironically I've had the most fun when I've been able to explore a couple of the more gorgeous looking environments. There's one level that reminds me of Pandora from Avatar so much; it really is pretty. I do think it is a little overrated though; the combat is awesome, some of the best out there, but the stuff wrapped around it is a bit of a mess. The story is really starting to annoy me now, and some of the wannabe erotic gestures and quips are just embarrassing. I guarantee that most people will feel the urge to skip the cinemas on the first playthrough, even at the expense of not knowing what's going on. I've gotten so used to seeing quality cutscenes in games recently, with emotive characters, that these non-speaking cutscenes are very jarring. For a game that is supposed to be the pinnacle of the action genre, it talks a little too much. As long as you are just killing monsters, it's great though.

Speaking of torture attacks on the plane, I was having a lot of trouble with that on hard(1st because I forgot I needed to do torture attacks lol) managing my magic, I kept losing 1 or 2 spheres and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realised I could just taunt and dodge for magic and beat it without getting hit :lol after already using too many continues.

By the way, hard mode is way better than normal. Fighting is fun now. Even though still I feel like buying any health/magic upgrades is cheating, I kind of regret spending all 300K I saved up on costumes.

Fimbulvetr said:
It does a lot of damage, it becomes most useful when taking on parts of the game where you can't use witch time(like the part where you have to do three torture attacks on the plane).

Wow, the ice skates are so good. Has the highest combo count out of any leg based weapon(I mean forming a combo only using kicks), lets your run(or skate rather) faster than normal, and can also go on lava.

The chance of freezing enemies is also pretty cool.

The whip complements it pretty well by letting you pull weaker enemies toward you or pulling yourself toward enemies.

Sword/Skates combo is awesome. Gotta find this whip though.

twenty1

Banned
deathsight580 said:

I think its the whole Clover/Platinum Games studio soul

they want to make kick ass, creative, and edgy games; that dates back when they were with Capcom!

Top Bottom