• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Volcynika said:
And a Bayonetta style Christmas picture

10zct5k.jpg
Now I want that costume in the game.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
i'm in some fight with a 2 headed dragon and they throw me in the air on a platform and shoot fireballs at me and then it says game over. it looks like there's a QTE that says 'press x' but i still keep dying. wtf am i sposed to do?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
bistromathics said:
i'm in some fight with a 2 headed dragon and they throw me in the air on a platform and shoot fireballs at me and then it says game over. it looks like there's a QTE that says 'press x' but i still keep dying. wtf am i sposed to do?
There's a timing event attached to it. Look for the ring around the press x thingy. Hit x when the ring hits perfect.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So the farther I get into this game...and well...nothing can compare. Nothing. Not even DMC3 which was, by far, the one game that raised the bar for this type of game. The combat is just incredibly deep. The sheer amount of tactics, attacks, defense maneuvers and variations of these, is just staggering. There's no words to describe, just how much you can achieve with the engine in this game, in terms of pure combat depth. Man, can't I wait to unlock Angel Slayer, to truly see how far this beast can go.

~Kinggi~

Banned
bistromathics said:
I had this same problem. Pretty retarded part in the game. Try holding X down and dont tap it. that worked for me.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It'll never happen; but, oh how'd I love to see Sega and Capcom do a Bayonetta/Dante crossover game. Best thing I can hope for is seeing them both in a Capcom fighting brawler.

DY_nasty

Vilix said:
It'll never happen; but, oh how'd I love to see Sega and Capcom do a Bayonetta/Dante crossover game. Best thing I can hope for is seeing them both in a Capcom fighting brawler.
Thanks, now I need new pants.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
DY_nasty said:
There's a timing event attached to it. Look for the ring around the press x thingy. Hit x when the ring hits perfect.
thanks, i'll try that in a min

How are people holding the controller for the lock-on targeting/dodging? I have a hard time using my index and middle fingers on the button and trigger at the same time so i cant really dodge while targeting an enemy.

Dahbomb

Vilix said:
That is just too much awesome for mere mortals to handle.

Fugu

God's Beard said:
Look. There are dozens of combos in this game, and most of them are superfluous within the same weapon set. They're mostly more or less all either A.a wicked weave combo for high damage, B.combo that ends in a launcher, or C.area of effect combos. There's a huge variety which is fun to play with, but for such a combo-heavy and aggressive game, I'd like to have seen more unique attacks. Remember, Hideki Kamiya billed this game as the best action game of all time, and I'm just calling him on it. Imagine if instead of choosing your moveset in God Hand, you just got to have all the moves at once. What's the point? That's a little how I feel about Bayonetta, the time spent developing half these combos could have been used to make ones with more unique purposes. Look at DMC1 and 3. Both have less combos than bayonetta, and both have far more moves with unique purposes. To be fair, the whip was pretty interesting, and I really liked Agni and Rudra. It just seems that there are a lot of holes, and the system could use a little polish. As an example, one thing that bugged me is that Bayonetta's jumping height doesn't match up with the way her attacks launch or enemy height in many situations, making the combo timing awkward if not necessarily difficult. Just little things like that. It's still a great game, but it's been so long since DMC1 and 3 that many people forget how well those games worked.
(
I've got to disagree with this.
I mean, you played through on normal, right? Because that's a big part of this. The reason there are so many combos with small differences is because as the enemies get faster and witch time becomes increasingly scarce, it's necessary to have a wide variety of combos with the same effect that perform in more or less time. Considering regular attacks do very little damage to strong enemies, what it essentially comes down to is the most effective way to produce a wicked weave (or AoE, depending on the fight). It becomes necessary to use some of these seemingly redundant combos to utilize your time effectively. When everything swings faster and the enemies actually don't fuck around (hurr durr I'm going to walk in circles while you beat on my partner kind of thing), the difference between PPP•P and PPPPP become more pronounced.

DY_nasty

bistromathics said:
thanks, i'll try that in a min

How are people holding the controller for the lock-on targeting/dodging? I have a hard time using my index and middle fingers on the button and trigger at the same time so i cant really dodge while targeting an enemy.
I usually don't lock on at all. Maybe when I'm going for a slide against a certain boss... but lock on usually isn't that necessary for me. The game is loose, yet accurate enough for you to get by without it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
bounchfx said:
just got to chapter 6 and the game literally keeps getting better. It's insane!

Same here, just finished 5. That last fight was great.
I have that warm fuzzy feeling of playing a classic game for the first time, so good <3.
Bayonetta is probably the coolest character ever, not just because of the sexy stuff, I just love her design, animation and personality. Not only do I want to fuck her, but I want to be her.

I tried my first alfheim mission, where you have to defeat the 2 enemies with a limited amount of punches and kicks. I failed miserably, so I should save that for when I'm better at that kind of stuff...

spend over an hour doing alfheim 3 on hard mode, kicked my ass but i had lots of fun and now i actually have money to spend!

i can't get tired of this fighting engine, i bow down to everybody involved making this game.

What's the best way to make money? I want to buy everything before I return the game on sunday, and I still want to beat hard mode at least. Should I farm the final boss for the
?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ok...I have a question. I'm on chapter 6 and I'm trying to get past the moving spikes while activating the door. I thought that it would require witch time or animal form but standing on the things doesn't seem to activate the light on the door and I can't find any statues or anything like that nearby.

DY_nasty

Snuggler said:
Ok...I have a question. I'm on chapter 6 and I'm trying to get past the moving spikes while activating the door. I thought that it would require witch time or animal form but standing on the things doesn't seem to activate the light on the door and I can't find any statues or anything like that nearby.
Get past the spikes on foot first, deactivate the spikes by using the lever at the end of the corridor, then go back and animal run.

Veelk

Banned
2/3rds done with the game. I have 2 questions.

1. Does enzo appear at some other point in the game? I don't want spoilers, but he seems to have disappeared from the story, which saddens me, because he was funny as hell.

2. Srsly. Am I the only one that is finding this game to be overly hard? I swear to god, I got a stone trophy for like half the missions and it's killing me, yet no one else is commenting on the difficulty unless they switch to Hard. Srsly, do I suck that bad, or is anyone else getting their asses kicked?

DY_nasty

Generic said:

1. Does enzo appear at some other point in the game? I don't want spoilers, but he seems to have disappeared from the story, which saddens me, because he was funny as hell.

2. Srsly. Am I the only one that is finding this game to be overly hard? I swear to god, I got a stone trophy for like half the missions and it's killing me, yet no one else is commenting on the difficulty unless they switch to Hard. Srsly, do I suck that bad, or is anyone else getting their asses kicked?
I got my ass handed to me throughout the game. I play too aggressive. I always had high combo damage and bonuses, but I'm an idiot when it comes to avoiding damage. Gotta learn to wait for openings instead of trying to make your own.

Some enemies later in the game, ones that strip you of your precious witch time, will own you - at that point, you've gotta learn to actually fight. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Generic said:

I'm on my first playthrough, I usually get gold with the occasional platinum and silver. I've got Stone on most of the missions so far, though, because I manage to miss 3 or 4 of them. It hasn't been hard for me yet, but I'm only starting chapter 7 so we'll see.

Generic said:

Dunno about 1, but I'll answer 2.

The game can be difficult, but doesn't seem unfair. You need to get in to a rhythm of not attacking every second. At the point you're at, enemies stop flinching at your every attack, so you need to attack during their downtime, dodge their attacks, and really pound them in Witch Time.

Accessories also help, as well as moves. If you don't have air dodge, get it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've gotten stone statues for missions 2-4 so far. :lol

I think I seriously suck at the game, but I'm having a blast!

For people getting stone statues: don't sweat it in your first playthrough. There's a lot of hidden stuff that isn't exactly easy to find and it's better to just have a good time progressing through the game.

Also, it's better to use items than die. Items are, I think, half a skull. A death is a full skull and I think getting four is an automatic stone statue.

bridegur

I rented this for the 360 and an hour or so in, I don't what I think. I really like the Japanese style-- I haven't played many games that feel like this since the Dreamcast. However, maybe I just wasn't cut out for this type of action game. The pacing leaves little breathing room between fights and the constant battles can become tiring. My biggest complaint so far, though, is the abundance of cutscenes. I know you can skip them, but if you do, the context goes out the window. Is there any hope for me?

DY_nasty

bridegur said:
I rented this for the 360 and an hour or so in, I don't what I think. I really like the Japanese style-- I haven't played many games that feel like this since the Dreamcast. However, maybe I just wasn't cut out for this type of action game. The pacing leaves little breathing room between fights and the constant battles can become tiring. My biggest complaint so far, though, is the abundance of cutscenes. I know you can skip them, but if you do, the context goes out the window. Is there any hope for me?
The beginning is cutscene heavy.

bridegur said:
Context is a little unnecessary in this game

If you're not enjoying them, they're better off skipped.

Veelk

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The game can be difficult, but doesn't seem unfair. You need to get in to a rhythm of not attacking every second. At the point you're at, enemies stop flinching at your every attack, so you need to attack during their downtime, dodge their attacks, and really pound them in Witch Time.

Oh, I didn't mean overly hard as in unfair. I just meant that I didn't expect it to kick my ass this hard. I never feel I've been cheated though and I'm having the time of my life playing regardless :D

The biggest issue, I feel, is that I have WAY too many abilities. For example, I need to get rid of that cat transformation, as it's really screwing up my dodging and stuff. Because I have so much stuff, I sometimes do thing unintentionally. But yeah, like any good action game, I just need to learn the enemy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just for the record, I love the cutscenes. It helps that I love the Bayonetta character, but I do enjoy them in spite of the stupid, confusing ridiculousness. But then again, I'm a big MGS fan, so I guess I'm cut out for this kind of thing.

Alright, I'm pissed again. Epilogue stuff.

Final boss I guess. I keep getting sucked into the fucking portal that kills you immediately, how the fuck do you avoid this shit. This is a fucking cheap death that's making me really fucking irate.

Is there a faster way to beat this thing aside from hack away at its tentacles or by dodging the fists?

EDIT:
FUCKING DIED AGAIN FROM THE COCKSMOKING DICKSNEEZE ONE HIT DEATH PORTAL OF ANNOYANCE

Generic said:

dude I am with you...one thing I kinda learned is that this game really focuses on one move it seems as you progress....and that's dodging for witch time....it seems on the tougher enemies...its the only way you will do any real damage. Im only on level 5 and I hope I am wrong that this game doesn't lean on that mechanic too hard....but thats the way it seems for now at least.

this is a masterpiece and my favorite game i've ever played

the moon of mahaa-kalaa sealed the deal. this is literally gaming perfection and i've only scratched the surface

every action game after this will feel slow and retarded

this game has almost flushed this entire generations worth of mostly asstastic crappy memories almost entirely down the toilet in 2 days.

between the combo/trophy system and the instantaneous brainwave controls i give this game a bliss out of 10.

diditz

Neo Member
Red Blaster said:
Alright, I'm pissed again. Epilogue stuff.

Final boss I guess. I keep getting sucked into the fucking portal that kills you immediately, how the fuck do you avoid this shit. This is a fucking cheap death that's making me really fucking irate.

Is there a faster way to beat this thing aside from hack away at its tentacles or by dodging the fists?

EDIT:
FUCKING DIED AGAIN FROM THE COCKSMOKING DICKSNEEZE ONE HIT DEATH PORTAL OF ANNOYANCE

always run around as panther, you can hide behind that tentacle/whatever the thing that stuck on the ground

and you actually can hit his fist

Fixed2BeBroken said:
dude I am with you...one thing I kinda learned is that this game really focuses on one move it seems as you progress....and that's dodging for witch time....it seems on the tougher enemies...its the only way you will do any real damage. Im only on level 5 and I hope I am wrong that this game doesn't lean on that mechanic too hard....but thats the way it seems for now at least.

The key is learning dodge offset to get witches weaves consistently against aggressive enemies.

HYDE

Banned
Dahbomb said:
I have probably said this before in an old Bayonetta thread, but the Dodge Offset is singularly the most defining thing in Bayonetta and what it brings to the action genre. It is revolutionary for action games that have some form of evasion (I am looking at YOU DMC).

Not only this, but you can charge the katana, roll up to three times and still unleash the fury.
In Ninja Gaiden this wasn't possible.
This game is absolutely awesome and I am loving every fight.

jvalioli

thetrin said:
I've gotten stone statues for missions 2-4 so far. :lol

I think I seriously suck at the game, but I'm having a blast!
I've been getting stone statues since mission 5 : (. I don't feel so bad now that I'm reading that this is happening to some other people too. :lol

What are the best accessories to get besides the witch time one?

HYDE

Banned
God's Beard said:
I don't think Ninja Gaiden needs UT partitioning. They're too spammable to begin with :lol

It'd be the only move in the game.

Yes, very true.
I just liked to point out how cool it is that you can do that. I love how all the action games borrow lightly from one another. Then, after that, they improve small little things here and there.

Top Bottom