• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Raxus

God's Beard said:
Until you're learned the combos you want, try just holding down every button you press until you need to hit the next button. Then, when you dodge, you're already holding down the button and if that combo happens to have a pause section, you'll continue the combo naturally when you come out of the roll.
When you get used to the games unrelenting offense and less dodge, dodge, witchtime OFFENSE!, dodge, dodge... then things start to come together. At least it did for me. I find spamming dodge results in more hits than witchtime for me.

HUELEN10 said:
I am playing on easy, and have gotten "stones" at the end of chapters. Should I be concerned? :( How is scoring determined anyways?

Normally scores are determined by a few things:

How many of the battles per level you've found.
How fast each battle took you.
Combo count.
Damage taken.

But if you used items or continues, then your score drops to shit instantly. I've gotten golds and platinums on every battle and still gotten stones for using 3 continues.

Raxus said:
When you get used to the games unrelenting offense and less dodge, dodge, witchtime OFFENSE!, dodge, dodge... then things start to come together. At least it did for me. I find spamming dodge results in more hits than witchtime for me.

I just wish that witch time wasn't necessary for certain enemies, because the game is much more fun without it.

Raxus

HUELEN10 said:
I am playing on easy, and have gotten "stones" at the end of chapters. Should I be concerned? :( How is scoring determined anyways?
Not really. Going through the chapter the first time would probably result in many deaths from the amount of 'new' enemies they toss at you that you have to learn the timing for. Plus the deaths from QTE's and falling to your doom happens as well. Needless to say your next playthroughs will hopefully be less... disastrous.

Even I still get stones and I find myself thinking, shit the game is taunting me calling me Enzo. Makes me want to play even more. I'll show you Bayonetta. I'll show you good. QUE THE MUSIC!

I kinda just assumed that everyone posting in this thread were like platinum scoring masters, its nice to see others getting some stones too lol

Scythesurge said:
I kinda just assumed that everyone posting in this thread were like platinum scoring masters, its nice to see others getting some stones too lol
Nobody gets consistent pure platinums on their first run through, even after mastering other action games. High scores come from tenacity and figuring out the system as much as they do from raw twitch reflexes.

Korey

Personally I find the stone trophies to be really funny and smile whenever I get one :p

Also, I found it hilarious that there was that "inverted controls" thread a couple days back where people were like "if you invert the Y-axis, then how come not the X-axis?" and then Bayonetta does just that by default (personally, I found it to be a weird choice).

Raxus

God's Beard said:
Nobody gets consistent pure platinums on their first run through, even after mastering other action games. High scores come from tenacity and figuring out the system as much as they do from raw twitch reflexes.
Even then the first time through you will get pummeled and lack all of your techniques to help keep the combos flowing like breakdancing and the shapeshifting.

To start building from stones on first playthroughts get:
1)Techniques you can see yourself using in battle.
2)Health once Rodan allows you to purchase hearts in the shop.
3)Pearls so you can use your magic gauge for special techniques and more torture attacks and it will take forever to get a second "full" gauge.
4)Progress: Get the cat form(
Chapter V
) and the raven form so platforming is easier and long verses are shorter.

Raxus

I am just buying the magic upgrades for the torture attacks to shorten the time in verses and build my score but man I thought pearls would extend my meter further than one measly pearl.

Raxus said:
I am just buying the magic upgrades for the torture attacks to shorten the time in verses and build my score but man I thought pearls would extend my meter further than one measly pearl.

I spent all my money on costumes I don't even like :-(

Raxus

Heh you should have saved and got the Alt functions for the guns or one of the ridiculously expensive accessories. I was thinking about saving up and getting the taunt/health regeneration one.

Amon37

Rez said:
you should be able to get through Normal mode in a rental period. depending on your skill, the single-player campaign takes around 8 hours.

Exactly

I'm on normal run just getting through the game and am at 6.5 hours at chapter 12.

Raxus said:
Heh you should have saved and got the Alt functions for the guns or one of the ridiculously expensive accessories. I was thinking about saving up and getting the taunt/health regeneration one.

I did buy the taunt accessory, but it kinda sucks. What to the alts do?

Shito

God's Beard said:
I just wish that witch time wasn't necessary for certain enemies, because the game is much more fun without it.
The game is pretty much structured in such a way that it slowly leads you to using it less and less, to the point where it forbids you to do so in the last difficulty mode, relying on parries instead.
So, yeah, I'd say keep on playing and unlocking stuff. : )

God's Beard said:
What to the alts do?
A second set of these weapons so you can dual wield them.

Shito said:
The game is pretty much structured in such a way that it slowly leads you to using it less and less, to the point where it forbids you to do so in the last difficulty mode, relying on parries instead.

:-o Hell yeah. I'll definitely finish hard mode by the weekend, so that sounds awesome.

Raxus said:
I have not saved for the alts so don't quote me on this but at the moment you can only equip the shotguns for example you just your arms or legs but not both at the same time. I would assume the Alt function allows you to load the shotguns to both your feet and arms at the same time.

That... sounds like it sucks. Why would I want to do that? Just for fun?

Shito

God's Beard said:
That... sounds like it sucks. Why would I want to do that? Just for fun?
I find it reaaaaally fun and useful for Durga, so to have both electricity and fire at the same time: speed and powerful finishers!
The other ones are more of a "because we can!" kind of thing, in my mind.

forgrim

Speed demons...i'm on chapter VIII and i'm on hour 8. Admittingly, I finished all the Alfheims i've encountered [10ish] and i've failed those many many times which added a couple hours to my gametime.

danmaku

God's Beard said:
:-o Hell yeah. I'll definitely finish hard mode by the weekend, so that sounds awesome.

You can also buy the rosary (or whatever is called in the english version), it gives you an automatic attack instead of witch time when you dodge correctly.

Shito said:
Which really bothered me. Some enemies were just to dangerous to attack without witch time but dodging an attack didn't activate it either, so you couldn't really hit them but playing defensively was pointless as well. So I just stood around holding the x button until they died.

ravien56

So I'm only on chapter 2 but does the rest of the game have so many cinematics? I felt like I was playing a Final Fantasy game.:/

LiK

ravien56 said:
So I'm only on chapter 2 but does the rest of the game have so many cinematics? I felt like I was playing a Final Fantasy game.:/
Yea, I'm surprised at how lengthy they are. Some of the later action cutscenes are good but there are some talkie ones I can live without.

Raxus

ravien56 said:
The cinematics and QTE's taper down pretty quickly once as you progress but I imagine the ending will be full of them as well. At least you can skip them by holding down the R2+L2 (or triggers) and select key to skip them if you have seen the cinematic or just don't care about the story.

ravien56

Raxus said:
The cinematics and QTE's taper down pretty quickly once as you progress but I imagine the ending will be full of them as well. At least you can skip them by holding down the R2+L2 (or triggers) and select key to skip them if you have seen the cinematic or just don't care about the story.
No I don't wanna skip them, I wanna know whats going on story wise, I just cant till I beat it so I can replay it and skip all of them.

ravien56 said:
No I don't wanna skip them, I wanna know whats going on story wise, I just cant till I beat it so I can replay it and skip all of them.
Don't worry about it. Really there is no story in this game at all.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Game is everything I could have ever hoped for and then some. I can't remember the last time I nerded out so much over something like this.

Really needs more Enzo, though ... :(

Glass Brain said:
This game is incredible. I get such a Treasure vibe from it. That is a beautiful thing.
Treasure has never made anything remotely close to Bayonetta, so, I don't understand what you're getting at.

I get a Clover vibe from it, if anything.

bhytre

The gameplay becomes too much fun when you're used to Dodge Offset, it's great for the slower weapons too.

Also, fighting 3 of those golden claw enemies (forgot their name) at the same time in hard mode is just... <3

LiK

Lostconfused said:
There's some tiny bit of story there, but it's all just so convoluted by the way they present it. I think the journals actually do a better job with fleshing out the world.

Btw, I get more of a Ninja Gaiden vibe from this game compared to DMC. But it feels like a good amalgam of both series, imo

Raxus

Lostconfused said:
Seriously. I watch the scenes to get a cheap laugh and then go to slay some angels. NG:Black's cutscenes though were king of cutscenes that don't need to be there other than these guys killed your clan go fuck them sideways. Hell the enemies at the beginning didn't even do anything to warrant getting their heads sliced off. Other than that it was more or less 'things happen guess you gotta kill this now'.

If you play games for stories anyway you may want to look into reading as a hobby.

Raxus said:
Seriously. I watch the scenes to get a cheap laugh and then go to slay some angels. NG:Black's cutscenes though were king of cutscenes that don't need to be there other than these guys killed your clan go fuck them sideways. Hell the enemies at the beginning didn't even do anything to warrant getting their heads sliced off. Other than that it was more or less 'things happen guess you gotta kill this now'.
The whole story is. Bayonetta needs to kill angels or she goes to hell, so the entire game she goes around killing angels. Sometimes Jeanne picks a fight with her because apparently she has nothing else to do with her boring and dull life.

Raxus

Lostconfused said:
The whole story is. Bayonetta needs to kill angels or she goes to hell, so the entire game she goes around killing angels. Sometimes Jeanne picks a fight with her because apparently she has nothing else to do with her boring and dull life.
There now lets do a breakdance of death woo!

Shito

bhytre said:
Also, fighting 3 of those golden claw enemies (forgot their name) at the same time in hard mode is just... <3
Gracious & Glorious, badass golden version of Grace & Glory. : )

What's everyone's Angel Attack high scores? Mine's 110 :)

Is there any point to buying items with AA points? It seems like they cost more than they would by just converting them to halos...

Also, just bought Gaze of Despair so that I won't feel like I'm cheating once I start buying magic upgrades :lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not sure I liked the 2 or 3 random "press X/Square" QTEs they threw at you in the earlier chapters that never came back again. They used Jump + Forward" a couple times, "Y + B/Triangle + Circle" a lot, and even though "steer with Square/X" only came up in one battle that was actually a cool segment. The random X QTEs were just plain cheap. Other than that, my only gripe with the game was having to press 5 buttons; "start-Down-Enter-Left-Enter"; to skip a simple cutscene instead of just pressing once button. Oh, and the transition from the "world map" to the "store-start-save" screen would've been awesome with no loading screen. Other than that, great game, and will start my Hard run later today. Going to try it with the Claws and that Moon accessory I saved up for.

Shito said:
I find it reaaaaally fun and useful for Durga, so to have both electricity and fire at the same time: speed and powerful finishers!
The other ones are more of a "because we can!" kind of thing, in my mind.

Plus the PPPPK combo changes when you have claws on both hands and legs, I think.

Do you have to do anything for gaze of despair to work? The boss on hard whith wearing it didn't seem any more difficult than on normal without it. I almost beat him first try, too, but I got killed when he only had half an inch of the last health bar left, and when I continued, I finished that section without getting hit, which really pisses me off :-( :-(

sonicmj1

Sub_Level said:
Other than that, my only gripe with the game was having to press 5 buttons; "start-Down-Enter-Left-Enter"; to skip a simple cutscene instead of just pressing once button.

R2/RT + Select/Back skips cutscenes without even a confirmation message.

Raxus

sonicmj1 said:
R2/RT + Select/Back skips cutscenes without even a confirmation message.
Still it makes you wonder why they didn't bother to just put in the simple press start to skip in the game. My minor gripes come from just the piss poor menu for customization and the skipping cutscenes are convoluted for absolutely no reason.

sonicmj1

Raxus said:
Still it makes you wonder why they didn't bother to just put in the simple press start to skip in the game. My minor gripes come from just the piss poor menu for customization and the skipping cutscenes are convoluted for absolutely no reason.

It's nice to have cutscenes that you can pause.

Platinum probably should have made it more obvious what the button combination to skip a cutscene was, but I appreciate the dual function. Given how long the cutscenes occasionally go for, it's nice to be able to take a break from them if you have to without being forced to skip.

Peff

Raxus said:

Just in case you want to actually pause them instead of skipping them (a telephone call, for example).

Jigsaw

Banned
God's Beard said:
What's everyone's Angel Attack high scores? Mine's 110 :)

Is there any point to buying items with AA points? It seems like they cost more than they would by just converting them to halos...

my high score was 123

in the shop he wont sell you more lollipops if you have more than 3 (or 1 mega lollipop),with aa points you dont have restrictions

Top Bottom