• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Just finished Chapter VIII.

That was fucking wicked.

The thing I like about this game is that it eventually weans you into using the Combo Offset system. If you don't use it, you're going to get absolutely RAPED by some of the enemies. It's the most important thing about the game. More important than Witch Time or any of that bullshit. I'm sure that, if you don't learn how to use it effectively, you will never survive Hard mode.

TheCardPlayer said:
Anyway, I disagree completely about the bosses. DMC4 had awful bosses and fighting them over and over and over and over, killed the little fun they had. In fact, I don't like DMC4 at all, so keep that in mind. :lol
Different strokes. I enjoyed DMC4 bosses as Nero I am sure people liked them even more with Dante of course by then you can just shred them in 2 just impacts.
The thing I like about this game is that it eventually weans you into using the Combo Offset system. If you don't use it, you're going to get absolutely RAPED by some of the enemies. It's the most important thing about the game. More important than Witch Time or any of that bullshit. I'm sure that, if you don't learn how to use it effectively, you will never survive Hard mode.
On normal you only really need it for some Alfheims.

LiK

near the end, boy, it gets real tough later. the boss fights are super epic and i think the story is just wild and crazy fun. love it.

i can't help but see a lot of influences from Ninja Gaiden 2 and DMC4 in some areas and enemies.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jvalioli said:
How many chapters are in this game?
I don't know whether this is a spoiler or not
16, plus the intro, prologue and epilogue

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Lostconfused said:
Different strokes. I enjoyed DMC4 bosses as Nero I am sure people liked them even more with Dante of course by then you can just shred them in 2 just impacts.

DMC4 was just awful. The only good thing about that game was Bloody Palace. Otherwise, the combat felt muted and it could never reach the sheer depth of DMC3's engine. It was just a massive, massive stepback. Dante didn't fit in the game at all, and had too many moves from DMC3 removed.

DMC1/3 and Bayonetta are just miles ahead of DMC4.

palpabl_purpura said:
Listen, the PS3 version has a framerate that is MORE than adequate. Like I said, during the first minute or so of the clocktower is the only time I've noticed minor slowdown. The only sluggish framerates are during cutscenes.

Listen, MS has paid off alot of people, including IGN, Eurogamer, etc. Digital Foundary even releassed a fake video of the PS3 version where it appears blurry. The gameplay sequences are NOT blurry in this game.

The load times are annoying, that's about it. No doubt, get the 360 version if you have both systems, but stop listening to these little shits on these gaming sites who have had their palms greased by MS.

lol.. you actually might be right http://www.gametrailers.com/video/console-comparison-bayonetta/60561

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there a Bloody Palace equivalent in Bayonetta? I've finished the game on Normal, and if there is I haven't found it.

TheCardPlayer said:
DMC4 was just awful. The only good thing about that game was Bloody Palace. Otherwise, the combat felt muted and it could never reach the sheer depth of DMC3's engine. It was just a massive, massive stepback. Dante didn't fit in the game at all, and had too many moves from DMC3 removed.

DMC1/3 and Bayonetta are just miles ahead of DMC4.
Maybe if you compare it directly to DMC3 or Bayonetta. Personally I had fun with it so I don't know what else I can tell you.

conman

The thing I like about this game is that it eventually weans you into using the Combo Offset system. If you don't use it, you're going to get absolutely RAPED by some of the enemies.
Not on Normal. I've yet to use it and I'm on chapter 14. :D

Peff said:
Yes, it is possible, but pretty hard (which is why the following attack is so easy to dodge, I assume). You have to jump with good timing as the vortex is faster than you and jump again when it comes back. Later on she will throw more vortexes at once.

Also, if you dodge two of the punches (just by running to a side) she will go back to Bayonetta alone. In fact I didn't know you could do Bat Within when you are Cereza :lol

Run away using beast within, then when it gets close double jump in it's direction.

ezekial45

Banned
Btw, are there Alfenheims in EVERY single chapter? I noticed that i'm not collecting all the coins after the end of each chapter. It's usually one or two.

careksims

Omg got to
where she meets the little girl calling her mummy
I keep falling in love with her expressions and mannerisms. And the action. Oh man. Lovely lovely game. Love her and this game! *bows to Kamiya a thousand times over*

ezekial45 said:
Btw, are there Alfenheims in EVERY single chapter? I noticed that i'm not collecting all the coins after the end of each chapter. It's usually one or two.

you can find alfheim portals in pretty much every chapter multiple times if you exlude the boss sections.

Veelk

Banned
I just finished it. I like how the game rolled the credits
, decided this wasn't an awesome enough ending, so they stopped, added ten more tons of win, and then let you go. But even afterward managed to sneak in some more win with that dance video. Whoever said the ending was Gurren Lagann in game form was right.

I'm surprised that they actually managed to make me believe Jeanne was dead every damn time. Nothing can stop that woman :lol

Now to play it again. And get rid of those DAMNED Stone trophies. (
I got ten of them *cries*
)

Raxus

Dodge offset is more or less critical for Hard mode and
non-stop infinite climax mode[ when you have no witch time
but by then you should hopefully have learned to use your guns more effectively.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Lostconfused said:
Maybe if you compare it directly to DMC3 or Bayonetta. Personally I had fun with it so I don't know what else I can tell you.

I'd say most people loved it. Isn't it the highest selling DMC game? I just didn't care for it.

On topic, what's everyone's favorite playpal in the game? I just love taking on Gracious and Glorious. So good. Multiple Joys would come in second.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
palpabl_purpura said:
Listen, MS has paid off alot of people, including IGN, Eurogamer, etc. Digital Foundary even releassed a fake video of the PS3 version where it appears blurry. The gameplay sequences are NOT blurry in this game.

Do you occasionally wear tinfoil on your head?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
does buying hearts in Rodin's store render the Heart pieces null and void, or is there an eventual limit that will stop me from maxing out my health without collecting all the broken heart pieces? I just bought around four health upgrades in a row and it still isn't 'sold out'.

Rez said:
does buying hearts in Rodin's store render the Heart pieces null and void, or is there an eventual limit that will stop me from maxing out my health without collecting all the broken heart pieces? I just bought around four health upgrades in a row and it still isn't 'sold out'.
There's a limit. Eventually the hearts and moon will be sold out in the store and you'll have to go find the rest yourself.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LiK said:
just finished it, AWESOME final boss and great ending. Kamiya has done it again! :D
it was crazy. the entire game, really. it was a constant ramp up.

'oh, you thought that was crazy? well, uh, here's this! BAM'

I really love it when devs add certain mechanics to their games, be it the ability to walk on walls or the various bosses, and then really think hard about cool ways of using them throughout the game. It's just so rewarding.

The chapter fifteen
boss-rush esque section, as well as any other repeat boss-fights throughout the game, was really masterfully done in that regard. You'd fight the bosses again, but often in somewhat different styles, and with significantly lower health (which I think was the key to making them seem fun rather than lazy). It didn't come off as a repeat so much as it came off as a little reminder or taste of some of the awesomeness you'd previously encountered in the game.

.:Wesker:. said:
There's a limit. Eventually the hearts and moon will be sold out in the store and you'll have to go find the rest yourself.
I thought so, thanks for confirming. :)

Now I know where your avatar is from. :lol

Okay holy shit that item of Mahala whatever is fucking sweeeeeeet.

I was using it on those big lasers and it's like parrying a multi-hit SF3 super. By the time it was over I went from an empty to a full magic gauge.

Finding all of the Alfheims is annoying btw. I should probably just use a guide but the game is too much fun.

Oh and while the Kurga mines do crap all for my score the damage is amazing.

Rocking the uhhh...Space Channel 5ish outfit right now btw. I don't care what Kamiya says, I'd take more DLC outfits all day everyday.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the Alfeims didn't count toward my final score for the chapter. I'd like them to just be independent challenges. I can't see myself going out of my way to try and beat them during repeat playthroughs of levels (once I've completed them all once), and it sucks that my award will be penalized as a result.

Probably my biggest issue with the game, which is kind of nice in and of itself. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You didn't before?
hadn't seen the dance video at the end, is what I meant. it's clearly Bayonetta. ;)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

:lol When you said that I was just thinking of Lucky Charms commerical.

Okay, seriously, where's the freakin mirror? I wanna change outfits.

I just started the game.... WTF is it with Japanese people and that Fly Me To The Moon song? First Evangelion, now this...

:lol :lol

Naw I think it makes more sense how Platinum handled it. At least with the Altheims only the successful attempt is counted towards the score. Plus all of them get harder depending on the difficulty so there's an incentive to go after them on Hard and beyond.

It helps to update the score as it keeps track of every completed verse. That'll mean another run-through but it's not like I don't need the halos(I heard I need a million for something or other).

Speaking of Hard I need to get back to it. I think I'm at chapter VI at the moment. Difficulty is kind of uneven as the hardest part for me has still been the beginning with the "get 3 tortures in a BS scenario". I got two the honest way but had to eat an item to get that third.

Most of my deaths(died several times infact) on Hard have been due to getting hit by a combo or something and just getting devastated as a result. It's weird really cause it's like some verses I won't even get scratched and others I'll go from full health to dead in seconds..then on the repeat I don't take damage at all. I'd like to think I'm getting better at the game but it's probably mostly due to a lucky mine hit(seriously Fire Kurga is just plain nasty).

Jonsoncao

Banned
palpabl_purpura said:
Listen, the PS3 version has a framerate that is MORE than adequate. Like I said, during the first minute or so of the clocktower is the only time I've noticed minor slowdown. The only sluggish framerates are during cutscenes.

The load times are annoying, that's about it. No doubt, get the 360 version if you have both systems, but stop listening to these little shits on these gaming sites who have had their palms greased by MS.

you are awesome dude :lol

your post even made me to boot up the PS3 to check the demo again for the lower-res texture and that "minor" slowdown u mentioned :lol

Sidzed2

"... in oottthheerrr wooorrrddss, please beeee truueee, iin ootttthheerr wooorrrddss, i loooveeee youuuuu..."

THE SONG IS IN MY HEAD. IT WILL NOT LEAVE.

LiK

polyh3dron said:
I just started the game.... WTF is it with Japanese people and that Fly Me To The Moon song? First Evangelion, now this...

:lol :lol

yea, i thought of the same thing too

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The little girl is so obnoxious. Jesus Christ.

Everything else about the game is A+++++++++++++++ though. Keeps getting better. About to wrap it up.

Danj

My copy of Bayonetta arrived from play.com yesterday evening, played it for an hour and a half and I'm loving it. And I thought the "Fly Me To The Moon" bit was hilarious. Disappointed to see it's not on the included soundtrack CD though.

Top Bottom