• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

nilbog21

Banned
Yo doods how much is it to rent this game from blockbuster? How much would it be and how much time would I get it for? Is it likely they have it in stock if I check tomorrow? Thanks pals

Also, is there a good enough reason to skip renting it and buying it directly? :<

nilbog21 said:
Yo doods how much is it to rent this game from blockbuster? How much would it be and how much time would I get it for? Is it likely they have it in stock if I check tomorrow? Thanks pals
Bayonetta, unlike every other game that can be rented for the standard Blockbuster pricing method seen at http://www.blockbuster.com will cost you $75 to rent and you only get it for 23 hours. If you are late returning it there is a 500 million dollar late fee.

I'm at the start of level 6 on normal. I have 120,000 halo's built up. What should I buy? I use way too many continues but I never get mad like in NG/NG2 because the game isn't being chessy. It's me being impatient and/or not using the right strategy.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Rocking the uhhh...Space Channel 5ish outfit right now btw. I don't care what Kamiya says, I'd take more DLC outfits all day everyday.
Me too. But then again the Queen outfit is my favorite one atm, and I a think that might mean I am a bad person.

Edit: Man I did not see that 4 on Jeanne's guns.

Miburou

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already in this thread, so instead of a pros and cons list, I'll just list some random thoughts (and 1 or 2 questions):

- I love the music, especially "One of a Kind" (the clocktower fight music) and Battle for the Umbra Throne (the first fight with Jeanne). It just sets the mood so effectively, and helps make a great sequence greater.

- Speaking of Jeanne, the fights against her ar the most fun for me in the entire game. I guess fighting a strong, yet normal sized foe feels better to me.

- The battle system is incredible, but I rarely used dodge offset on normal, and didn't need to use it on the first 3 chapters of Hard. I'll have to use it more often.

- I missed one note near the beginning (witchcraft #3) and near the end of the game, I was missing the last note, too. But after finishing the game and starting a new playthrough, I checked the notes and found those two notes added and got the achievement. Is that some kind of glitch?

- Even though I got gold or silver (with the occasional platinum) on the verses I played, on most chapters I ended up with a stone statue due to missing a lot of versus! (and a bronze for overall).

- I don't really like the design of Bayonetta (maybe it's the small head and broad shoulders, also not a fan of women in glasses), and found the cheese cringe-inducing. I did, however, like how she talked to certain bosses.

- I wish you didn't need to confirm skipping a cut-scene, especially since you already need to press START and move down to choose the skip button. It makes going through chapters again slightly more annoying.

- I was playing FFXIII just before getting Bayonetta, and found it amusing that one of the demons she uses is the same as one of the summons I had just acquired in FFXIII the day before.

- The game often makes me feel inadequate, when my brain can't keep up with all the action and freezes. :lol

Anyway, awesome, awesome game. Loved every second of it.

Miburou said:
- I wish you didn't need to confirm skipping a cut-scene, especially since you already need to press START and move down to choose the skip button. It makes going through chapters again slightly more annoying.
Wish granted.
Press the Back Button and the Right Trigger to instantly skip the cutscene.
burgerdog said:
Bah, Need to shave 25mins off my total time to unlock an item. I didn't think beating it in under three hours would be tough.
You'd be amazed how many fights you can just skip. Unless there is a giant golden barrier run past all that shit at panther speed!

You know, I don't think I've ever complained about the ps3 version of a game, but please mark me down as fucking offended by loading for new items and THE PAUSE MENU, you have to load the pause menu? FFS! I'm enjoying the game so far, even if I think it's way too campy.

Ronin

Beat it earlier this evening then turned around and started on Hard. Already up to Chapter VI its sooo good.

If it holds up for me even half as long as DMC3, then Bayo is gonna be in my regular rotation for a long time.

Swag

Okay guys this game wasn't really on my radar but after seeing so much praise in other threads for it i'm thinking of biting. I've played Devil May Cry 4 but I didn't really enjoy it
Nero
, Dante sections were excellent however. I played the Bayonetta demo and it was enjoyable but I've been burned too many times by demos of games that didn't deliver.

My question to you guys is would I enjoy Bayonetta?

TheExodu5

Banned
Sebulon3k said:

Did you enjoy DMC3? Aside from characters/style, I'd say Bayonetta is better than DMC3. That's as high praise as any action game can get.

Swag

TheExodu5 said:
Did you enjoy DMC3? Aside from characters/style, I'd say Bayonetta is better than DMC3. That's as high praise as any action game can get.
I haven't played DMC3, I was never a big action game player outside of God of War. I only got DMC4 cause I had money laying around when it came out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sebulon3k said:
Okay guys this game wasn't really on my radar but after seeing so much praise in other threads for it i'm thinking of biting. I've played Devil May Cry 4 but I didn't really enjoy it
Nero
, Dante sections were excellent however. I played the Bayonetta demo and it was enjoyable but I've been burned too many times by demos of games that didn't deliver.

I've never been a huge DMC/NG fan. I enjoy God of War for what it is. I love Bayonetta.

Swag

Rez said:
I've never been a huge DMC/NG fan. I enjoy God of War for what it is. I love Bayonetta.
Oh yeah I played NG on the original Xbox and enjoyed that quite a bit, I guess I'll be picking up Bayonetta then. Hopefully I enjoy it.

this game is so easily the best game ever, no intelligent counter argument is even possible.

you would have to had come out of the womb at the age of 37 to not enjoy this game.

VegaShinra

Played the PS3 version a while back when I imported, but the 360 version really is much better. I played through the first 7 chapters in about 4hrs on it. Since the game runs smoother on the 360 it actually seems like the game is easier than the PS3 one.

I was watching videos of other action games today just to remember what they're like and view them in the context of being in the midst of Bayonetta.

They seem, like....baby time games. It's like, where's the speed, where's the sense of absolute control, where's the constant ramping up of creativity?

GoW3 is going to sell amazingly, but it looks like child's play from where I stand right now.

Why oh why is there an accessory that can only be unlocked by playing the game all the way through on Easy or Very Easy? Damn my completionist tendencies.

ShockingAlberto said:
I was watching videos of other action games today just to remember what they're like and view them in the context of being in the midst of Bayonetta.

They seem, like....baby time games. It's like, where's the speed, where's the sense of absolute control, where's the constant ramping up of creativity?

GoW3 is going to sell amazingly, but it looks like child's play from where I stand right now.

Yeah well, no other game lets you gut shit quite like GOW does. But it's certainly true, GOW is less technical and more accessible, and focuses on grand scenarios and brutality.

I liked the Bayonetta demo more than I expected to, might actually pick this up. Surprising twist there. Probably helps that I played the worst demo of all time right before Bayonetta, but it seems genuinely alright.

Swag

AltogetherAndrews said:
Probably helps that I played the worst demo of all time right before Bayonetta, but it seems genuinely alright.

You can't say something like that and not mention what game it was :mad:

Ordered Bayonetta off Amazon, it'll be here on monday. Hype on!

Tricky I Shadow said:
I think she's one of the cutest characters to come out of a videogame in a long time.

I really love the cut-scenes with her interacting with Bayonetta. “Mummy...Mummy!"
I will shamefully admit I found the Bayonetta/Cereza interactions charming, to the point that when you discovered
Cereza is Bayonetta, and not some forgotten daughter, I was a little disappointed
"Well, a crying baby cockroach would be truly terrible."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the wicked wave alfheim in chapter 3 is BRUTAL. I'm going to need to get my dodge offset technique down to a science.

I'm enjoying the alfheims a lot more than I was initially. They really force you to up your game and play the game in ways you might not have before. I don't regret ignoring them on my initial run through, though. They're perfect for refining of my game-plan before I tackle Hard and above. The combat system in this game is just superb.

a Master Ninja said:
I will shamefully admit I found the Bayonetta/Cereza interactions charming, to the point that when you discovered
Cereza is Bayonetta, and not some forgotten daughter, I was a little disappointed
"Well, a crying baby cockroach would be truly terrible."
when she imitated Bayonetta leaning back on the wall, it got me

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rez said:
the wicked wave alfheim in chapter 3 is BRUTAL. I'm going to need to get my dodge offset technique down to a science.

I'm enjoying the alfheims a lot more than I was initially. They really force you to up your game and play the game in ways you might not have before. The combat system in this game is just superb.

Are you actually able to do most of them when you first see it? I wasn't sure and seemed to have missed a bunch anyway, but I only managed to beat 2(limited punch and kicks in chapter 3 + no wicked weave in chapter 4) but then tried some others like stay in the air for 60 seconds that seem ridiculous without some other weapon.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
Are you actually able to do most of them when you first see it? I wasn't sure and seemed to have missed a bunch anyway, but I only managed to beat 2(limited punch and kicks in chapter 3 + no wicked weave in chapter 4) but then tried some others like stay in the air for 60 seconds that seem ridiculous without some other weapon.
they MAY be possible -- I'm not going to say they aren't -- but I highly recommend waiting until you beat the game and have a good selections of weapons to tackle them.

the air one shouldn't be too hard with standard weapons, though? you can bounce off of enemies heads by pressing the jump button, which sends you higher into the air.

Ultimo hombre said:
I'm at the start of level 6 on normal. I have 120,000 halo's built up. What should I buy? I use way too many continues but I never get mad like in NG/NG2 because the game isn't being chessy. It's me being impatient and/or not using the right strategy.

Anyone? I noticed I get hit too much and die too often and saw an accessory that has health regen if you taunt enemies? is it any good? what should I be spending money on? I've bought absolutely nothing so far.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rez said:
they MAY be possible -- I'm not going to say they aren't -- but I highly recommend waiting until you beat the game and have a good selections of weapons to tackle them.

the air one shouldn't be too hard with standard weapons, though? you can bounce off of enemies heads by pressing the jump button, which sends you higher into the air.

The jump one had a bunch of those flying small heads, I was able to get around 30 seconds every so often but an entire minute was crazy. It's really easy to just miss the jump, and getting it after the double jump was a crapshoot...and the lockon seems to make it harder, so I couldn't do that.

I heard to try it with the Kulshedra, which I actually missed the piece of and should probably go back for anyway. :lol

Veelk

Banned
Can someone tell me how to deal with those stupid ark boats in chapter X? I can get past them by using items, but I can I beat them without them? The missiles and lasers rape me. :(

Does anyone NOT use the exclusive targeting in this? I find that I'm not using it at all. The auto targeting is pretty damn good.

I'm redoing all of the chapters before I finish Normal mode. I want to get Pure Platinum on everything before I dive into Hard mode.

LordK

Generic said:
Can someone tell me how to deal with those stupid ark boats in chapter X? I can get past them by using items, but I can I beat them without them? The missiles and lasers rape me. :(

If you aren't, you can jump on them and hit their red jewel part for good damage. It's easy to witch time their rockets and grapples. Just gun them (missles, etc) after you witch time.

Does anyone NOT use the exclusive targeting in this? I find that I'm not using it at all. The auto targeting is pretty damn good.

I'm redoing all of the chapters before I finish Normal mode. I want to get Pure Platinum on everything before I dive into Hard mode.

I'm not using it either. It makes it hard for me dodge.

danmaku

ShockingAlberto said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm playing DMC4 while replaying Bayonetta and... it's a good game, but the controls feel so stiff, especially dodge and jump.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

yeah, I only really use the lock-on to quickly trigger the RB moves

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimo hombre said:
Anyone? I noticed I get hit too much and die too often and saw an accessory that has health regen if you taunt enemies? is it any good? what should I be spending money on? I've bought absolutely nothing so far.
buy techniques like air dodge first.

I bought most, if not all, of the techniques before I started spending money on other things, but don't hesitate to buy a health upgrade or something if you're having trouble. Techniques should be your first priority, the rest you can do at your own pace.

The accessories are cool, but I'd save them for repeat playthroughs. If you really want one, buy the one that triggers witch-time when you get hit (if you have enough magic), it's one labeled HOT for 100,000. But even then, I wouldn't buy it until you have a lot of techniques.

Rez said:
buy techniques like air dodge first.

I bought most, if not all, of the techniques before I started spending money on other things, but don't hesitate to buy a health upgrade or something if you're having trouble. Techniques should be your first priority, the rest you can do at your own pace.

The accessories are cool, but I'd save them for repeat playthroughs. If you really want one, buy the one that triggers witch-time when you get hit (if you have enough magic), it's one labeled HOT for 100,000. But even then, I wouldn't buy it until you have a lot of techniques.

Thanks Rez. I'll load up on techniques to become more awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
make sure to take advantage of the 'try' option as you buy techniques, as well. it's useful for figuring out which technique seems the coolest/most beneficial. :)

Miburou

Wow, I only figured out now, well after having finished the game, that if you press BACK during the loading screen you can switch to practice mode. Would've come in handy earlier!

randomwab

I feel kinda gross for saying this, but I tried to play this some last night.....and I'm not feeling it at all.

I mean, I adore every Kamiya directed game so far, and I love the first and third Devil May Cry titles as well as a ton of other action games, but there's just something off here.

I have a feeling it's the style of the game overall to be honest, I don't really care for Bayonetta herself, her character just seemed to irritate me more than anything else. And the whole J-pop music playing as I fight angels just doesn't feel right to me.

I don't know, maybe I'll get over it if I play more. I hope I will. The gameplay is beyond great, but everything else about the game is just turning me off.

I feel dirty. :(

Giolon

Two of the best techniques IMO are the <>P and <>K moves. What the store doesn't tell you is that they do an on-demand wicked weave attack as long as you have some magic (I think 3 bubbles). Makes fighting Witch Time immune enemies a lot easier.

And you can never overvalue Bat form. It basically extends your dodge window for activating Witch Time, and it allows you to break out of enemy combos if you do get hit.

Anyone know how to complete Alfheim challenge #10 (chapter 5) on Hard? You have to stay in the air for 30 seconds, but the devil bringer whip doesn't work on the electric/fire dogs that you fight. I must have killed over 10 of them to try and get different enemies to spawn, but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen (unless I'm not killing them fast enough?). Can't figure out what I should be doing to juggle these guys for 30 seconds...

edit: I guess I'm supposed to be jumping off their heads when they're on the ground? These challenges are awful.

Giolon

Oooh, I just discovered something awesome. I might be a noob but other people might be also and apprciate this:

Press the Back button while on the loading screen to lock yourself into the Practice area as long as you want to be there.

Sweet!

Top Bottom