• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

jvalioli

Giolon said:
Two of the best techniques IMO are the <>P and <>K moves. What the store doesn't tell you is that they do an on-demand wicked weave attack as long as you have some magic (I think 3 bubbles). Makes fighting Witch Time immune enemies a lot easier.

And you can never overvalue Bat form. It basically extends your dodge window for activating Witch Time, and it allows you to break out of enemy combos if you do get hit.
Bat form saved me so many times during one of the boss fights towards the end.

Peff

iconoclast said:
Anyone know how to complete Alfheim challenge #10 (chapter 5) on Hard? You have to stay in the air for 30 seconds, but the devil bringer whip doesn't work on the electric/fire dogs that you fight. I must have killed over 10 of them to try and get different enemies to spawn, but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen (unless I'm not killing them fast enough?). Can't figure out what I should be doing to juggle these guys for 30 seconds...

edit: I guess I'm supposed to be jumping off their heads when they're on the ground? These challenges are awful.

The air challenges are great and really, really easy. Press Y with Kulshedra in the air in order to get enemies to you and use them to jump further.

EDIT: oh, wait, that one :lol I think I did it with a parry, RB+back+Sword and then Kulshedra.

Zeliard

My only real criticism of this game are the fucking QTEs. Literally all of my deaths have come from those. They're awful in any game but get exponentially worse and more unnecessary the greater the core gameplay is. The combat is this game is the best there's been in the genre - there was especially no need here to add QTEs.

Zeliard said:
My only real criticism of this game are the fucking QTEs. Literally all of my deaths have come from those. They're awful in any game but get exponentially worse and more unnecessary the greater the core gameplay is. The combat is this game is the best there's been in the genre - there was especially no need here to add QTEs.
Also those horrible throwbacks to old SEGA games. They make me dread replaying Chapters 8 and 14.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
they're so easy, though. if about five minutes too long.

randomwab said:
I have a feeling it's the style of the game overall to be honest, I don't really care for Bayonetta herself, her character just seemed to irritate me more than anything else. And the whole J-pop music playing as I fight angels just doesn't feel right to me.

there's no J-pop in Bayonetta.

diditz

Neo Member
at first i always fail too in those QTEs, so when the QTE comes i give it to my friend who play along with me (he never failed). Then he told me to try to hold the x button (not just quick tap it) and its working, i never fail anymore on those QTEs :lol

danmaku

I'm surprised to see that so many people have problems with QTE. I hate them just like everyone else, but in Bayonetta you don't have long, random and punishing button sequences. It's a single button press! How hard can it be? First time you see it you'll probably die, but you aren't going for a platinum run on your first try, right? So who cares? Second time you'll get there you'll know which button to press, or at least you'll know that there's a QTE so you have to be ready. It's no big deal.

Dreavus

Giolon said:
Two of the best techniques IMO are the <>P and <>K moves. What the store doesn't tell you is that they do an on-demand wicked weave attack as long as you have some magic (I think 3 bubbles). Makes fighting Witch Time immune enemies a lot easier.

And you can never overvalue Bat form. It basically extends your dodge window for activating Witch Time, and it allows you to break out of enemy combos if you do get hit.

Yep, bat form is quickly becoming one of my favourite techniques. Basically it comes down to if I dodge a fraction of a second too late, and get hit, I can get a bat trigger from my late button press which reverses the damage and scores me some witch time. And I think it also counts as "getting hit" for the purposes of the free witch time off of the Selene's Light accessory (is that what it's called?), at least that's what it seems like.

i was pressing the d-pad+button for some of the QTEs because that's how the game shows them on PS3 i think, which caused me to fail at them lots of times in my first playthrough. other than that, no problems.

Zeliard

The QTEs often come out of nowhere, and the cutscenes in this game aren't short, so there's a tendency to want to lay back and relax when you think there's an non-interactive scene going on.

And I'm not going for a platinum run on my first try, but it's still annoying to be getting golds and platinums in a lot of battles only to be getting stones at the end of chapters due to the huge death penalty on points. You also miss out on the bonus rewards. Worst thing about it is the QTEs don't have anything to do with the combat.

It was just completely unnecessary to have them.

Shito

Augemitbutter said:
there's no J-pop in Bayonetta.
Thank you, was about to say just that.

Vilix said:
Mysterious Destiny is my favorite song from the Soundtrack. Very groovy and a suprisingly great song to play a beat'm up to. ^.^
For those of you who like this song, the girl singing it is the amazingly cute French singer Helena Noguerra.

helena-noguerra-20080114-363090.jpg

I highly recommend you check on her usual work, as it's not very far from what she does in Mysterious Destiny: girl likes light and catchy pop songs.

wRATH2x

Banned
Just beat the game 2 more times on Normal :lol

This game is way too awesome. Anyway I wanted to post how the difficulty jump from Easy to normal is big, you go from killing angels with torture attacks to actual battles. And I haven't even tried Hard mode.

I would love to see a list of all the videogame references, I've spotted like 20 or even more I'm not sure.

I just finished chapters 1-4 on Hard. LOVE IT! I was like one of the biggest DMC fans and I loved Ninja Gaiden and God Of War as well, but man this game is amazing. This game is going to spinning in my 360 for a long time.

Oh and for those worrying about hard mode, once you get past the prologue it's really not that bad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Raxus said:
Does anyone find the portal kick technique useful? Whenever I use it it just does pathetic damage.
yeah, I was wondering what the deal with that was. I haven't found a situation where it's been particularly useful.

Volcynika

Penny Arcade contest to get a shirt (this entry was made at midnight)

I used to love looking in game magazines for those photos people used to send in, pictures of the screen itself or the player in front of the screen, showing off a newly minted high score in the way our primitive forebears might have displayed some horned carcass. Of course, such images may be altered now: it is a grotesque fact of the modern world that we literally cannot believe our eyes. We can retain the elegance and beauty of the old ritual, though, by verifying the truth of it via Achievements and Trophies.

The contest is thus: upon defeating Bayonetta in Hard Mode, snap a picture of the screen with or without yourself in the classic Myspace mode. Send this picture to bayonettacontest@gmail.com, along with your Gamertag or PSN ID. We aren't going to get up to anything fruity with it: we'll be using this to check if you've earned "Umbra Elder," at which point we will send you something awesome.

The first five hundred people to do so will get a shirt that Kiko designed exclusively for this purpose - here are some shots of the front and back. It is rad, and pulls from design elements on her iconic pistols. Size Large. If that is too small for you, we've tested it, and it fits perfectly on lynxes or other mountain cats. You know. If you have one of those.

Distilled, the contest is as follows:

- Open Only To Those In The Continental US
- Defeat Bayonetta On Hard, Earning The "Umbra Elder" Achievement/Trophy
- Entries Must be Sent To bayonettacontest@gmail.com
- Entry Must Include Your Gamertag/PSN ID, Photo Of Final Credits, And A Current Address
- First Five Hundred Valid Entries Will Win A Rad Shirt
- The Shirt Is Size Large

(CW)TB

Images of shirt:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/uploads/2010/01/07/Scarborough_Fair_Front_Red.jpg
http://www.penny-arcade.com/uploads/2010/01/07/Scarborough_Fair_Back_Red.jpg

I saw that my Platinum trophy'd JP version doesn't even show up for some reason on the PlayStation site, so someone win one for me! :p

But hopefully a GAFfer or two wins.

Alx

I love this game, I just finished chapter XV, but spent some time replaying older levels, for money and for fun. :D

I have a question about chapter II (train station), though. I'll mark it as a spoiler, even if it's early in the game and even in the demo :
At the very beginning, there is a security gate that triggers an alarm when you walk through it. A bit further, there are several doors marked as locked because of the alarm. I suppose there is a way to get through them, but didn't find it :
- I tried to transform to a panther to run to the next door before it closes : failed
- I tried to get through the door with a dodge move, at first I thought that I had passed it but the doors were still closed.

Help please ?

Miburou said:
Wow, I only figured out now, well after having finished the game, that if you press BACK during the loading screen you can switch to practice mode. Would've come in handy earlier!
Oh fuck. Revelation! I'm going to have fun using this when I get home. :D

LALILULELO

Neo Member
well for those in wait of the patch (me included)
not sure if this was posted,but it makes reruns a lot more tolerable.
Holding R2 and the pressing select is skipping the cutscene and continuing the action.

hope that helps for others as it did for me.
If it was mentioned before, sorry for my lazziness :D

how good is this game? well i just forgave Sega for all those shitty 3-d sonics that they have been shoving down out throats for the past 10 years just for publishing this game...yeah that godly.

LiK

NonexistentK said:
how good is this game? well i just forgave Sega for all those shitty 3-d sonics that they have been shoving down out throats for the past 10 years just for publishing this game...yeah that godly.
Do you like Kamiya's games? If so, then this game will not disappoint. Besides, this is an excellent action game overall. Check out the demo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
Hard is kicking my arse :( Can't really get my head around the dodge offset thing.
some of the alfheims can be really useful for practising dodge offset, I'd recommend doing that on normal.

JoeFenix

LiK said:
Do you like Kamiya's games? If so, then this game will not disappoint. Besides, this is an excellent action game overall. Check out the demo.

I don't think he needs convincing, reread his post! :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
54-46! said:
Any news about that PS3 patch? or was that complete bs?
doubt there will be a patch, but honestly at this point I don't even care. Way too much fun with this fucking beauty to worry about between chapter loading or making a framerate that usually stays between 30-60fps a bit more stable.

Minamu

Heh, this is so good :D Took a break after reaching Chapter 3 after 2:06 hours. Died twice so far. Apparently it counts as an item to use a continue? o_O Got a stone statue because of that :( Will play more later of course, but right now I'm toast :lol The demo felt more over-the-top than the full game so far.

Rez said:
some of the alfheims can be really useful for practising dodge offset, I'd recommend doing that on normal.

Yeah I probably should get around to those first. Need that accessory that activates Witch Time when you get hit as well.

LiK

Anyone else glad that the items dont go up in price when you buy them like with the DMC series? I go for the heart pieces every chance I get :)

Minamu said:
The demo felt more over-the-top than the full game so far.

I'd call that a successful demo.

Most demos these days are fucking dull, then after the game finally comes out X Game Defense Force rushes in and claims - "Well that was just a bad demo."

Here a fucking hint developers: If you want people to buy your game do not release shitty demos!

I want to play Bayonetta so bad. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone else glad that the items dont go up in price when you buy them like with the DMC series? I go for the heart pieces every chance I get :)
Oh yes. Also, if you use an item during a battle and have to continue, you get that item back when you do so (unlike DMC).

borghe said:
doubt there will be a patch, but honestly at this point I don't even care. Way too much fun with this fucking beauty to worry about between chapter loading or making a framerate that usually stays between 30-60fps a bit more stable.
The 360 version is far from perfect either, it should be noted. It definitely runs smoother than the PS3 version, but there is still a LOT of tearing and slowdown. The game engine feels very unstable to me. DMC4 looks and runs better than this, but I definitely prefer this game.

They probably should have cut down on some of the alpha effects as those tend to hurt performance, in this case, just don't look very good.

Draft

dark10x said:
The 360 version is far from perfect either, it should be noted. It definitely runs smoother than the PS3 version, but there is still a LOT of tearing and slowdown. The game engine feels very unstable to me. DMC4 looks and runs better than this, but I definitely prefer this game.
I was thinking the same thing, but then it occured to me: in the 5 hours I've been able to put into Bayonetta, I've probably seen more unique stuff in terms of levels, enemy designs and bosses than in the entirety of DMC4.

DMC4 is a pretty amazing looking game, but it also recycles levels, enemies and bosses like crazy. No doubt you can spend quite a bit more time tightening up the graphics on level 3 if it's also going to be levels 5 and 7.

LiK said:

yeah like uknarayan said i already have the game (thnx to amazon's release date delivery!) i did like kamiya's/clover/capcom studio work but this is clearly his/their magnum opus. I wasn't the biggest fan of devil may cry 1 or resident evil 2 even if i thought they were great titles. I thought viewtiful joe was really charming & stylish but not anything groundbreaking. i really really really liked okami but its flaws were just too apparent but, Bayonetta... is in another league really. it's clear that guys at platinum put %100 of their heart, soul and skill while creating this game. Let me put it this way imho Bayonetta is pretty much the best hd game came out of japan, it is the best Sega published game in loong long time and hand down best action game on the planet (itagaki now it's your turn ;) i mean i understand some people do not like these type of hardcore action games, some people are turned off by over the top Japanese design but for the rest i say this: yes yes all the hype is real, platinum games brought us the next level action gaming.

LiK

Fixed2BeBroken said:
ok this panther form is working my nerves..why couldn't it be mapped differently
Kinda annoying sometimes but it sorta forces you to not spam the dodge button, I guess. But I agree, I would like the option to turn off the beast mode if I want. Or can we?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
SecretBonusPoint said:
come then, hideki kamiya, let us make an evening to remember.
2hqs5fa.jpg

:D

Damn fine combo. While shopping at the Gates of Hell the music being played just yearns for a scotch neat.

randomwab said:
I feel kinda gross for saying this, but I tried to play this some last night.....and I'm not feeling it at all.

I had played the demo at E3 and of course again when it was publicly available and I was a lot more excited for the game then vs playing the retail copy for an hour last night. Pretty much just because the cutscenes are so awful, just relentlessly terrible in their presentation, and the first hour seems heavily tilted towards them. When you're left to just actual combat and playing the game it's really fun but every time it goes to cinematics it's like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly with the failure of the Japanese market to keep pace with the modernization of Western gaming sensibilities as the demographic ages.

Ezio

Picked this up and I absolutely love it so far, I'm on chapter six I believe and the combat is amazing, playing through on normal first, not really trying for platinum just yet just going through and trying (trying be the key word) to take in the whole story.

Top Bottom