• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

sonicmj1

Zeliard said:
Do enemies just get more health and do more damage on Hard mode, or do their tactics change (i.e. they become more aggressive)?

I've only played a little of hard mode (just prologue and Chapter 1), and I haven't really noticed any significant increase in enemy health. They are far more aggressive, however. The Affinity cannon fodder angels that used to tend to stand around are now nearly always attacking or preparing to attack.

Peff

Zeliard said:
Do enemies just get more health and do more damage on Hard mode, or do their tactics change (i.e. they become more aggressive)?

I think they have the same health, but they get a bit more armor (before you can juggle them) and are definitely more aggressive. Also, some some verses will have different enemies. Usually that means Gracious and Glorious.

conman

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Guess the auto save didn't kick in or something because the game started me back over at the prologue.
I found this out the hard way. The autosave works unless you chose "no" when it asks you if you want to continue. Otherwise, you can quit whenever you like and when you restart you'll start from the last checkpoint.

I was on chapter 15 and scaling the tower when I decided I was done for the night. I died and thought nothing of saying "no" at the continue screen. Came back to the game to discover that I had to start from the beginning of the chapter! I think what happens is that the game then autosaves at the chapter start screen, effectively overwriting your prior autosave. Terrible, painful oversight on their part.

I didn't expect this game to kick the shit out of my DMC3 expectations so early on, but it really has. Alongside the far superior level design is all the sub systems such as the shop, mini-games, weapon crafting and everything else just make it feel like so much more of a complete 'game' than DMC which you can only recommend as "come for the combat".

Or maybe its the rum.

Majukun

Zeliard said:
change what type of enemies you meet in certain verses
the scene on the plane where you have to do 3 torture attacks are with infinite grace and glory ò_ò
,and they are like "normal mode" taunt rage all the time..so they are faster,more aggressive and do more damage

Finished the game on Normal 12 hrs with a couple of chapter repeating. Great game to start out for 2010. Hard mode is kicking my ass though.:D

Ronin

BenjaminBirdie said:
What's a Bloody Palace?
Sort of an arena mode in the DMC games where you go through floors clearing them of enemies. The further you advance the tougher the enemy encounters and groupings become.

Dabookerman said:
My play.com copy came, but not the game copy. Which is odd.

Yeah, my Darksiders pre-order from GAME still hasn't come but my Play copy of Bayonetta came yesterday. It usually takes Play ages and GAME pre-orders have always arrived the day before release or earlier for me.

Peff

Baloonatic said:
So you have to
complete all the Alfheims to unlock it right?
Does it matter what difficulty you do it on?

The portals only appear on Normal and above, and they become harder with the difficulty, but you can do it on the lowest (normal).

Zeliard

sonicmj1 said:
I've only played a little of hard mode (just prologue and Chapter 1), and I haven't really noticed any significant increase in enemy health. They are far more aggressive, however. The Affinity cannon fodder angels that used to tend to stand around are now nearly always attacking or preparing to attack.

Peff said:
I think they have the same health, but they get a bit more armor (before you can juggle them) and are definitely more aggressive. Also, some some verses will have different enemies. Usually that means Gracious and Glorious.

Majukun said:
change what type of enemies you meet in certain verses
the scene on the plane where you have to do 3 torture attacks are with infinite grace and glory ò_ò
,and they are like "normal mode" taunt rage all the time..so they are faster,more aggressive and do more damage

That all sounds fantastic. Can't wait till I unlock Hard. I'm having an absolute blast on Normal but I know it'll be even better on Hard. Plus most everything carries over to the new difficulty, as I understand it, such as weapons. Being able to start a game over with all the weapons and upgrades from the previous one is a reward unto itself in a game with combat as deep as this.

I find myself thinking about this game when I'm not playing it, anxious to get home and boot it up again.

As much as I love games, this doesn't happen to me very often.

Last time was Demon's Souls.

TheCardPlayer said:
Which weapons did you unlock?
Durga, Odette and Lt. Colonel Kilgore, plays nothing like Shuraba or Scarborough Fair.
You'll enjoy these.

Anyway, I disagree completely about the bosses. DMC4 had awful bosses and fighting them over and over and over and over, killed the little fun they had. In fact, I don't like DMC4 at all, so keep that in mind. :lol

My issues with the main bosses so far (finished the first three big ones) is that
they all follow the same formula. You are on a bridge or raised platform and the boss is this massive thing in the center of the screen and it just throws heads or tentacles or shoots lasers at you. You basically dodge around and use your super powered attacks on it until some QTE segment pops up or you need to move to a different area. At some point the boss will be stunned where you get access to its weak spots and then you perform another QTE to damage it. It gets repeated. Now yeah they are awesome and some of the stuff you do like running on a tentacle as giant spikes and stuff try to hurt you is awesome but they still feel a bit too similar to one another. I like having a boss that moves around an arena, DMC usually does this. Take the Ifirit boss in DMC4 or the ice boss, the armored knight boss, almost all of them are more one on one straight up action fights where you fight in an arena and not these huge elaborate set pieces. At least we have Jeanne which acts like a Virgil. Now fighting them over again in DMC4 did suck.

I do love the game though but I prefer DMC style bosses so far.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I do not like the
motorcycle
and
missle riding
stages. They are way to long and not fun after the first time. This game is on the cusp of perfection, but the technical issues, QTEs and the aformentioned stages knock it down a peg. I guess Bayonetta will have to settle with being GOTY 2010 instead. :(

Whoompthereitis said:
I find myself thinking about this game when I'm not playing it, anxious to get home and boot it up again.

As much as I love games, this doesn't happen to me very often.

This

I also find it hard to get to sleep, because I find myself humming the Bayo Battle theme.

LiK

burgerdog said:
Perhaps I missed it given how hidden some options are in this game, but is there a cinema mode to watch all the cutscenes?
Good question, I checked the Extras options after I beat the game and I don't think I saw it

Don

I just got to the part in Chapter 3 where you enter
Paradiso
for the first time and now I'm sad that we will never get an Okami sequel from Kamiya.

MiamiWesker said:
My issues with the main bosses so far (finished the first three big ones) is that
they all follow the same formula. You are on a bridge or raised platform and the boss is this massive thing in the center of the screen and it just throws heads or tentacles or shoots lasers at you. You basically dodge around and use your super powered attacks on it until some QTE segment pops up or you need to move to a different area. At some point the boss will be stunned where you get access to its weak spots and then you perform another QTE to damage it. It gets repeated. Now yeah they are awesome and some of the stuff you do like running on a tentacle as giant spikes and stuff try to hurt you is awesome but they still feel a bit too similar to one another. I like having a boss that moves around an arena, DMC usually does this. Take the Ifirit boss in DMC4 or the ice boss, the armored knight boss, almost all of them are more one on one straight up action fights where you fight in an arena and not these huge elaborate set pieces. At least we have Jeanne which acts like a Virgil. Now fighting them over again in DMC4 did suck.

I do love the game though but I prefer DMC style bosses so far.
Ehh, that's kinda true, but the game has plenty of that from the normal enemies (which are waaaaaaay better than DMC), and it also doesn't really have any objectively shit bosses like DMC4's Evil Pope dude or DMC3's Doppelganger.

And you have to admit that every single big boss feels like it could be the final boss in another game.

LiK

Don said:
Paradiso
for the first time and now I'm sad that we will never get an Okami sequel from Kamiya.
Bayonetta is like his next DMC, I would gladly welcome an Okami spritual successor from Kamiya. :D

badcrumble said:
Ehh, that's kinda true, but the game has plenty of that from the normal enemies (which are waaaaaaay better than DMC), and it also doesn't really have any objectively shit bosses like DMC4's Evil Pope dude or DMC3's Doppelganger.

And you have to admit that every single big boss feels like it could be the final boss in another game.

That is true.

BTW as soon as I write that I do chapter 13 which had a boss fight that was HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!

:lol

LaneDS

Assuming the game sells well enough to garner a sequel (which I very much hope is the case), I have to wonder how they'll top it? So much of the game is just ridiculous amped up to even more ridiculous levels, and I think it'll be a tough act to follow.

Time to start hard mode.

Zeliard

Don said:
Paradiso

Yeah, that made an impression on me as well.

So much gorgeous, and frequently imaginative, visual design in this game.

LiK

LaneDS said:
Assuming the game sells well enough to garner a sequel (which I very much hope is the case), I have to wonder how they'll top it? So much of the game is just ridiculous amped up to even more ridiculous levels, and I think it'll be a tough act to follow.

Time to start hard mode.
Put in nudity for the sequel! :lol

Stupid question: for the tortures and climaxes do you have to just mash the button as fast as you can, or is there some sort of timing to it to get higher scores?

LaneDS said:
I've thought about this a well. Kamiya really has his work cut out for him. Personally I'd like to see him save the sequel for the next generation of hardware rather than have Bayonetta 2 on the current one.

LiK

Stormwatch said:
Stupid question: for the tortures and climaxes do you have to just mash the button as fast as you can, or is there some sort of timing to it to get higher scores?
Mash as fast as you can.

Btw, the Torture for Joy is just so dirty, I love it :)

XenoRaven

LaneDS said:

Time to start hard mode.
As much as I like the game, I don't think it's the type of game that warrants a sequel.

Top Bottom