• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

diss

Banned
I'm not one for action games but I'm having a blast with this. I like the retarded over the top-ness of it all :D Good times. That said I thought I had sort of got the hang of this, but then I go see YouTube videos of people pulling off some truly sick combos and I realise I'm still doing it wrong.

Darkman M

Scythesurge said:
So what's with chapter 8 sucking major ass? I could not believe how poorly that was done.

I was ok with Ch 8 because you had half way decent checkpoints, ch 14 will really piss you off if you didn't like ch 8.

Darkman M said:
I was ok with Ch 8 because you had half way decent checkpoints, ch 14 will really piss you off if you didn't like ch 8.
The checkpoints were fine, it just was not fun to play. I really hope ch 14 isn't as bad then.

Darkman M

Scythesurge said:
The checkpoints were fine, it just was not fun to play. I really hope ch 14 isn't as bad then.

:lol I was up really late playing it died a few times and on my last try i got pretty far on the level only to find out i had to start wayyyy back further then i should have. I end up just turning the system off and i get ready to play today and i realize my save game is all the way back in ch 7.:lol not to mad though because the game is so fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Darkman M said:
:lol I was up really late playing it died a few times and on my last try i got pretty far on the level only to find out i had to start wayyyy back further then i should have. I end up just turning the system off and i get ready to play today and i realize my save game is all the way back in ch 7.:lol not to mad though because the game is so fun.
if you'd clicked continue instead of load, you would have been at c14

jabipun

Bayonetta is the best action game ever made, and having played all the demos of the upcoming action games of 2010, I can confidently say Bayo will probably be the best action game even past 2010...BUT:

Bayonetta has a character isn't as appealing as Kamiya's others (RE2-Leon, DMC1-Dante, Viewtiful Joe, and Amy). She's cool like - only 40% of the time. The other 60% she reminds me off this european dominatrix who's on an ego trip that needs to be taught a lesson Connery style.

jabipun

Rez said:
omg, the wicked weave Alfheims in Chapter 3 and
the Epilogue
were brutal, but I did it :D

I have all the moon pearls and hearts, and most of the accessories (I'm missing one, and all the ones that require special unlock conditions). Time to take on Hard mode... tomorrow.

For that one - (wicked weave) I just spammed (punch, punch, (pause-delay), kick).

I think that's the fasted combo to get the wicked weave attack to come out.

jabipun

BeautifulMemory said:
What does that mean

type sean connery beating women on youtube

EDIT: BEATEN.

Altough - every time I watch that clip, Walters at the end goes "btw, after a marriage of 31 years, we haven't heard a single complaint."

Connery: "BECAUSE MY METHODS WORK!!!"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jabipun said:
For that one - (wicked weave) I just spammed (punch, punch, (pause-delay), kick).

I think that's the fasted combo to get the wicked weave attack to come out.
yeah, I used PKP.

Or in my case P, then K almost instantly, then a dodge instantly after I press the K button, then end with a dodge-offset wicked-weave P. It took about a second or so to initiate, assuming my initial punch didn't accidentally bounce off an enemy.

It forced me to get really, really got at using the dodge offset function. It's making my fights against the Joy and Grace & Glory, as well as the dog type enemy who's name escapes me (Fearless?), so much more fun. I don't even really need witch time anymore, which is sweet. But when witch-time triggers, man, shit hits the fan. I almost feel sorry for them. It's making my Hard Mode playthrough even more fun than my Normal one, which is hard to believe. :lol

Zeliard

Rez said:
yeah, I used PKP.

Or in my case P, then K almost instantly, then a dodge instantly after I press the K button, then end with a dodge-offset wicked-weave P. It took about a second or so to initiate, assuming my initial punch didn't accidentally bounce off an enemy.

It forced me to get really, really got at using the dodge offset function. It's making my fights against the Joy and Grace & Glory, as well as the dog type enemy who's name escapes me (Fearless?), so much more fun. I don't even really need witch time anymore, which is sweet. But when witch-time triggers, man, shit hits the fan. I almost feel sorry for them. It's making my Hard Mode playthrough even more fun than my Normal one, which is hard to believe. :lol

That's gonna be useful for you in Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode. :p

I know the Golem boss is also a tribute to Okami's Yami, but there is no way that shit isn't Gunstar Heroes Seven Force inspired with it's retro blocky construction, quick changing forms and the bird form that looks exactly the same. Shame there probably isn't 7 actual forms of it for it to be an official one, but god damn did it give me a nerdgasm.

Just went back and got the Ice Skates. Equipped with the sword, I am now the queen of light speed slashing.

Darkman M

Ok i just did ch.14 again after being furious about it late and tired yesterday and i must say my opinion on the chapter just did a full 360. Chapter 14 has to be the most epic chapter thus far wow.:lol

Monocle

Caj814 said:
so. . what are some of the better combos that involves air juggling?
You're probably talking about combos that involve multiple strings, but there are a couple individual aerial strings I've found useful. Both work with most combinations of weapons.

First, PPPKKK does loads of damage, especially if you extend it by holding each button input. (I recommend trying this with two sets of shotguns equipped.) Because of this string's length, it's best used during Witch Time, unless you're fighting relatively slow enemies.

Second, PPKP is nice because it ends with a launcher and the kick can be extended for big damage when you have a power weapon like Kilgore or flame-mode Durga on your feet. Good for all sorts of situations, imcluding when you have to face tricky flying enemies like golems or the snakes whose name escapes me at the moment.

Caj814 said:
so. . what are some of the better combos that involves air juggling?
Use the afterburner kick upwards twice during witch time, and then the whip to pull them towards you in the air and then jump off of them. Then finish with chain of your choice.

Cool because you're like 100ft in the air

Rez said:
this I agree with wholeheartedly.

I like searching them out in levels, but I really hate that I have to do them repeatedly in order to get the best rank possible.

Granted I got a Platinum on my first Hard Mode Chapter 1 playthrough and I ignored the Alfheim there, but I wonder if it will effect some of the chapters with more than one hidden within.

I only found my first Alfheim on Chapter V and it seems mandatory (Walk On Air for 60 seconds).

a) What do I look for to find others?
b) How the hell do I beat this one?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I only found my first Alfheim on Chapter V and it seems mandatory (Walk On Air for 60 seconds).

a) What do I look for to find others?
b) How the hell do I beat this one?
Get the whip.

1.) Jump in the air. -> 2.) Press Y/Triangle and HOLD to pull an enemy toward you. -> 3.) Jump on them. -> 4.) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you achieve the desired result.

Get the whip.

1.) Jump in the air. -> 2.) Press Y/Triangle and HOLD to pull an enemy toward you. -> 3.) Jump on them. -> 4.) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you achieve the desired result.

Okay, cool, but
a) What if I don't have the whip
b) Is there anyway to get past this area without doing it?

elbkhm

BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay, cool, but
a) What if I don't have the whip
b) Is there anyway to get past this area without doing it?
They're not mandatory. You can use the same portal you used the enter the Alfheim to leave.

Minamu

Are the healing item drops random or am I doing something wrong? I see one per chapter, if that.

Anyone else having a hard time remembering the button combos? :( Only the really basic stuff like PKP sticks with me :lol

elbkhm said:
They're not mandatory. You can use the same portal you used the enter the Alfheim to leave.

No I know but I'm at the bottom of some weird reverse clocktower and I can't seem to figure out how to get out of it, unless what happened is I went through that sideways part and ended up back in the tower I started in?

Does that make sense? This is Chapter V, btw.

elbkhm

BenjaminBirdie said:
No I know but I'm at the bottom of some weird reverse clocktower and I can't seem to figure out how to get out of it, unless what happened is I went through that sideways part and ended up back in the tower I started in?

Does that make sense? This is Chapter V, btw.

You somehow ended up back at the bottom of the tower. Climb up to the top of it. You must have gotten turned around during the fight, half-way up.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Oh the burn of seeing that my copy of the game is at the nearest post office from my home, is displayed as "Out for delivery" and knowing that I'll most probably only get it on monday...

FUCK! But it's cool to see you guys enjoying the game :D Btw, has any PS3 user gouged its eyes out yet playing this due to "teh crappy port"?

Peff

BenjaminBirdie said:
So how do I find other Alfheims? Is there one in every verse?

There are 21 total, usually either hidden somewhere outside the path you have to go or by backtracking (sometimes you have to backtrack half of the level).

~Kinggi~

Banned
I want to beat this game this weekend, but the chapters seem to be getting longer and the game is fucking hard on Normal mode. I almost got pretty frustrated on Chapter 5 last night.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Scythesurge said:
So what's with chapter 8 sucking major ass? I could not believe how poorly that was done.
I was surprised that Edge's review didn't actually say anything bad about this sequence and the one at chapter 14, they seemed to even like them a lot. I liked the idea of the homage to old Sega games, but this wasn't too well done, especially chapter 8, and *much* too long.

Korey

~Kinggi~ said:
I want to beat this game this weekend, but the chapters seem to be getting longer and the game is fucking hard on Normal mode. I almost got pretty frustrated on Chapter 5 last night.
Just beat it today, it's definitely doable in a weekend. What are you having problems with? Here are some suggestions:

1) Dodge like crazy. The game is built around evading, as you can evade at nearly any time. Be sure to buy the air dodge technique right away.

2) Be aggressive. That might sound counterintuitive to the first tip, but the dodging in this game is meant to help you be more offensive, not defensive. Be sure to learn how to dodge offset so that you can continue your combos while dodging. For certain enemies you'll only be able to get two swipes in before he attacks, so you gotta learn how to weave in and out using dodge offsets and
panther form

3) Learn the advanced techniques in the Gates of Hell. The ones I found useful are the <>Y and <>B ones, the air kick attack thing, and
the bat within
. And force yourself to use them.

4) Equip your new weapons. I didn't figure this out until like the 5th or 6th chapter. The
katana
is especially useful vs Jeanne since it gives you more range in melee.

5) Use items/lollipops. I didn't figure out how to make them until like the 10th chapter :p

Top Bottom