• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Draft

Blimblim said:
I was surprised that Edge's review didn't actually say anything bad about this sequence and the one at chapter 14, they seemed to even like them a lot. I liked the idea of the homage to old Sega games, but this wasn't too well done, especially chapter 8, and *much* too long.
Yeah, neat idea, kind of sloppy execution. There's quite a few questionable spots in this game. That wouldn't be so bad except it's a score attack game. The goal is to be perfect. But every few stages you get pulled out of the combat system and tossed into some half assed racing game or QTE that if failed hoses your score. Not cool.

The fucking boats can also eat a huge, fat dick.

Raxus

Fimbulvetr said:
I just beat the final boss, my gawd what a ride.

Will replay after I beat Darksiders and Madworld.

No Stone Awards btw. :D
After I started to get used to the system I got only one stone award for chapter (14 or 15?).

Still I am practicing my dodge offset and trying to train myself to stop holding down the damn dodge button. Which I could remap the controls.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My favorite part of the game is the Fly Me to the Moon remix :lol

Blimblim said:
I was surprised that Edge's review didn't actually say anything bad about this sequence and the one at chapter 14, they seemed to even like them a lot. I liked the idea of the homage to old Sega games, but this wasn't too well done, especially chapter 8, and *much* too long.

It was also excruciatingly ugly. Ass filter + flat ground and lighting. Don't get what they were thinking.

JKTrix

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there ANY way to get the dang crow in the opening courtyard of Chapter VI?

You move faster as the panther. Also, you can 'catch' it in mid-air. Later on there are more like that that will fly away before you get close. You just gotta be faster.

Blimblim said:
Yeah I'm very surprised. I'm only on ch 9, but i couldn't believe how long and mindless the sequence was in chapter 8. Sure i like the nostalgia, but it stuck out like a sore thumb in a game that i've been considering to have some of the best gameplay in any action game out there.

Chapter 8 is bullshit. I'm fine with fighting all the enemies on hard, and I even have the one accessory that makes them all devil trigger to make fighting more fun, but this level just really fucking sucks. I would have finished the first part several times without taking damage, but I keep falling through the fucking cars while I'm standing on them for no goddamn reason. I'll stand on them, throw out a combo or two, then I get warped back onto the bus and lose a quarter of my life out of nowhere. Then I get to the second section with the 3 cats and I start dying because the fucking camera won't stay facing towards the cars while I'm fighting and I keep getting hit by buses out of nowhere while I'm preoccupied with trying to dodge these guys mobbing my ass. The only good thing is that I got 250k for doing 2 verses.

I understand wanting to show off your creativity, but this is just bad level design. Really bad. Not to mention falling through the level on 3 different occasions on the last stage, and getting warped inside a boss once allowing me to kill him for free.

a Master Ninja said:
I find the boats to be one of the easiest enemies in the game. Dodge the rockets, jump on the boat, hit the weak spot a few times, dead.
With both of your itagaki avatars I thought he was talking to himself at first lol.

The boats were not terrible though I do think they should have had some kind of "lock on" jumping thing kind of like what devil may cry has.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Infinite Climax
isn't bad at all right now. I even got a gold award in Chapter 1. I am dreading chapter 8 and 14, though.

Fucking Lost Chapter.

Got to the fight with
Two Jeannes
and got murdered. Having to perfect the button-mashing counters in order to get a hit/not get hit is stupid IMO. Aside from that all of their attacks do stupid damage.

Meh..probably easier to go back to Hard and finish that up. Problem is I'm at Route 666 there and man do I hate the motorcycle/Space Harrier stages. They really are the worst thing about this game and yet their only inclusion was to make old Sega fans go yay.

Trying to work out if the Golem is a Seven Force boss or not, since I can only remember 5 forms but then just like the original Gunstar Heroes there might be more forms in the harder difficulties.

Sphere Force, Arms Force, Chameleon/Lizard Force, Dragon Force and Bird Force. So 2 more to make it official? I think I saw some art of it turning into a spider but I can't be sure..

There are three bullshit parts in the game

1. Motorcycle part
2. Missle Part
3. Using the gun emplacement on the side of the building

The game is damn near perfect aside from those idiotic parts

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
SecretBonusPoint said:
Trying to work out if the Golem is a Seven Force boss or not, since I can only remember 5 forms but then just like the original Gunstar Heroes there might be more forms in the harder difficulties.

Sphere Force, Arms Force, Chameleon Force, Dragon Force and Bird Force. So 2 more to make it official? I think I saw some art of it turning into a spider but I can't be sure..
Spider is there, yeah and there is a snake form too iirc.

ConcealedBlaze said:
There are three bullshit parts in the game

1. Motorcycle part
2. Missle Part
3. Using the gun emplacement on the side of the building

The game is damn near perfect aside from those idiotic parts

Holy crap you're right. I completely forgot about that third one(and I was just there getting the last of the Altheims.)

Ugh it was like something out of generic 3rd person shooter #35235237

Peff

The
turret
part is really easy, you can dodge incoming bullets and even enter Witch Time so it ends quickly, but I agree it should have been a single life bar. Also

Meh..probably easier to go back to Hard and finish that up. Problem is I'm at Route 666 there and man do I hate the motorcycle/Space Harrier stages.

You do know you don't have to finish the game from the first chapter to the last, right? You just need to get an statue on every chapter, regardless of the order.

ezekial45

Banned
Can anyone point me to a site that has all the record piece locations? The last weapon i got was the Durga and i only found pieces of the 2 records after that one.

Raxus

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy crap you're right. I completely forgot about that third one(and I was just there getting the last of the Altheims.)

Ugh it was like something out of generic 3rd person shooter #35235237
That was the shortest out of the big three sections and if the other 2 were shorter they wouldn't be so bad since they are a welcome change to the gameplay IMO. They just should have included some more fights so it wasn't one long 5-10 minute segment of a tangent.

:lol

Holy shit at Joy's intro.

Is there any way to control Durga's claw form? It seems to be fire or lightning whenever it pleases.

Also, any tips on
Bat form
? I bought it but the timing seems really hard to nail.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BenjaminBirdie said:

Is there any way to control Durga's claw form? It seems to be fire or lightning whenever it pleases.

Also, any tips on
Bat form
For the Durga, rotate the left stick around then push the punch/kick depending on where you have it equipped. It took me a while to figure it out too.

Bat form gives you a bit more cushion on triggering witch time.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Also, any tips on
Bat form
It's a super small window and you'll probably get it more by accident (trying to dodge and getting it) than you will on purpose at first. Basically, the second you get hit, hit the dodge button.

My jaw is still on the floor from the torture attack I just beat Joy with.

Jesus Christ this game is some insane softcore hentai shit sometimes.

Giolon

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also, any tips on
Bat form

You don't actually want to initiate Bat Within intentionally - you want to be trying to dodge early enough for Witch Time. Bat Within basically extends your dodge window all the way up to the point where you actually get hit - but, it results in a shorter Witch Time duration when a Bat Within is activated.

Aside from extending your dodge window, Bat Within allows you to break out of enemy combos by pressing dodge at the precise moment you get hit.

Draft

a Master Ninja said:
I find the boats to be one of the easiest enemies in the game. Dodge the rockets, jump on the boat, hit the weak spot a few times, dead.
After dying a few times to that spot with three boats I think I have them figured out.

TreIII

Fugu said:
It hurts... it hurts to have to replace my platinum with a gold... WHY
bangle of time
WHY?!

It's for your own good!

You'll get everything back! :D

Also, for Bat Within? Get good with it. You'll need if you want to play as
Jeanne
to any serious degree.
She only can activate Witch Time with Bat Within, unless you use accessories

Finished it, the last few chapters are on a level no action game has ever been it. AMAZING!

So now to master the game. I still have no clue how the combo meter works. Does anyone know what makes the multiplier go up? In DMC it is easy, vary your moves and dont stop landing hits. I vary my moves in this game and nothing seems to be happening.

What are the best weapon combos? Are certain enemies weak to certain attacks or do they all take the same damage?

Filldough

I might be getting too old for these kinds of games. Chapter 5 bent me over in a way I havent experienced since NES days. So much chaos, I think I'm just spam attacking too much and not being methodical enough. Both arms hurt haha, fingers cramping, game is visual crack though, Jesus Christ there is some amazing shit going on. Definitely one of the most creative games I've played in ages... possibly ever.

careksims

This game keeps getting better and better! I think I'm almost to the end. It's not the exact text, but it made me laugh
I don't trust bitches... I mean witches. HAHA!

Love the story too. I'm actually paying attention to it. Luka's great!

The Bat Within skill has saved me a couple times.

scitek

Man, I really dig the combat and shit, but why the fuck can't I customize my controls? Dodging with the right trigger is just something I can't get used to.

Jigsaw

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, what? What do you mean, you replayed the Chapters enough to finish 100 of them?

yep,it must be normal or harder though (i know you can also unlock the weapons with cheats,but thats lame)

took me 6 runs

normal
normal with all chests/upgrades/alfheims
normal speed run (to unlock bracelet of time)
hard
endless climax
normal again to improve ranking (after the speedrun i had stone in every chapter,now its gold or platinum)

Man, I really dig the combat and shit, but why the fuck can't I customize my controls? Dodging with the right trigger is just something I can't get used to.

you playing the ps3 version?you can also dodge with R1+X then (like in dmc)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Draft said:
After dying a few times to that spot with three boats I think I have them figured out.
I died like 15 times on the 3 boat scene. I kept on spamming my pea shooter and getting pissed off. It took me forever to realize that you could jump on them.

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
Just to be clear, I have to speedrun each chapter individually so they add up to less than 180 minutes, right?

Yes.

Skip Alfheims. Blaze through every battle. Do whatever it takes in order to get through the game in 3 hrs or less.

Jigsaw

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Just to be clear, I have to speedrun each chapter individually so they add up to less than 180 minutes, right?

yes,as soon as the endtime is under 3 hours you can buy it in the shop

Jigsaw said:
yep,it must be normal or harder though (i know you can also unlock the weapons with cheats,but thats lame)

took me 6 runs

normal
normal with all chests/upgrades/alfheims
normal speed run (to unlock bracelet of time)
hard
endless climax
normal again to improve ranking (after the speedrun i had stone in every chapter,now its gold or platinum)

Wow!

Dreavus

SecretBonusPoint said:

Sphere Force, Arms Force, Chameleon/Lizard Force, Dragon Force and Bird Force. So 2 more to make it official? I think I saw some art of it turning into a spider but I can't be sure..

I've never played Seven force, but I thought that thing was just mimicking your torture attacks. Dragon, Bird, Spider, Hands - they're all demons you summon to kick the shit out of bosses. Maybe it's both? Either way this game is riddled with references so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Jigsaw

Banned
Dreavus said:
I thought that thing was just mimicking your torture attacks. Dragon, Bird, Spider, Hands - they're all demons you summon to kick the shit out of bosses.

+ centipede

yes,thought the same

Woo, I get to write a review for this for my school newspaper! The editor had no fucking clue what this is, so they'll be in for a treat once I turn it in.

~Kinggi~

Banned
fuck this fucking game. Got to the end of a damn chapter and cause i kept fucking dying thanks to the retarded difficulty i didnt feel like continuing. Fucking game overwrote all my chapter progress and now i gotta start at the beginning of the level. When shit like this happens i lose interest the game altogether. Lets see how i feel tommorow.

Top Bottom