• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Calcaneus

jabipun said:
If all you have is a PS3 - the PS3 version is fine.

You'll still experience what probably is the best action game this gen, regardless if it's on ps3 or 360
Eh, its gonna be a while before I get it anyways so I might as well not worry about it.

panda21

i thought some of the subtler jokes/ridiculousness they put in the cutscenes were pretty funny, its just making fun of itself.

much better than DMC

The game is like Beyond the Valley of the Dolls thrown into a snow globe along with Kill Bill plus Ninja Gaiden, shaken not stirred and then regurgitated back onto the screen.

This is a good thing.

Zeliard

Cagen said:
How can anyone get over the terrible characters, awful writing and horribly directed scenes to say this game is "incredible" and "excellent"? Everytime there's a cut scene I regret buying the game, even if I skip them I don't escape it all. I enjoy the gameplay, it's great but it is wrapped up in such awful presentation that I don't know if I will make it all the way through. I haven't heard a single murmer about the game being anything but great so I didn't expect it to be this bad, are people just viewing it through rose tinted glasses because of who made it?

The same reason I and many others were able to mostly ignore the cutscenes and the storyline in Ninja Gaiden Black: it's all about the gameplay. The glorious, glorious gameplay. Plus as stated, there's a very obvious tongue-in-cheek mentality to the entire storyline in Bayonetta, as well as the characters. It's always poking fun at itself, along with other games.

Though I happen to find the presentation in Bayonetta in general to be very stylish and imaginative, especially the animations and the eye-catching enemy and level designs. It's far superior in that regard to Ninja Gaiden, in my view, or DMC and God of War for that matter.

Hey sure, some of dialogue is silly but nearly all of them have a good two or three minutes of completely amazing and ridiculous fight sequences.

I don't get the hate at all. They're pretty fucking fantastic.

"I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town!"

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Cagen said:
How can anyone get over the terrible characters, awful writing and horribly directed scenes to say this game is "incredible" and "excellent"? Everytime there's a cut scene I regret buying the game, even if I skip them I don't escape it all. I enjoy the gameplay, it's great but it is wrapped up in such awful presentation that I don't know if I will make it all the way through. I haven't heard a single murmer about the game being anything but great so I didn't expect it to be this bad, are people just viewing it through rose tinted glasses because of who made it?
Because the gameplay is near perfect therefore everything else is forgiven.

Loam

I find myself constantly replaying the graveyard prologue on hard seeing as its the closest thing to an open arena / challenge mode I've found yet. Bayonetta seriously needs something akin to Devil May Cry 4's Bloody Palace mode.

Peff

Wren said:
I find myself constantly replaying the graveyard prologue on hard seeing as its the closest thing to an open arena / challenge mode I've found yet. Bayonetta seriously needs something akin to Devil May Cry 4's Bloody Palace mode.

It has such a thing, finish all of the Alfheim Challenges.

Wren said:

Complete all the Alfhiems and you shall have what you ask for.

Hell, the Alfhiems themselves are mini challange rooms.

Bayonetta's insanity is preferable to the the "blah blah ninja clan blah blah fiends blah blah dark dragon blade sword blah blah" in Ninja Gaiden or the the angsty shit that permeated DMC4..

gogojira

When I started I was thrilled, then my excitement kind of simmered down, and on my last play session I started having a blast again. Not sure what's up with me. :p

Fighting Justice was MENTAL! :lol

Have to say I died like 5 times on the level with the wind serpents but Grace and Glorys are easy as you can slow down time a hell of alot but it is getting alot harder for me :/

Cagen said:

I haven't played any of his earlier games yet Bayonetta is the action game of this gen and the best new IP this gen for me, so no.

At the end of the day, there's isn't any game that every person enjoys. You happen to not enjoy it. Cool.

I don't forsee myself getting very far in Hard Mode at all. Grace and Glory fuckbags at every turn amped up to over 9000 power levels and everything attacking in layered traps :lol

I really don't get how someone playing could not like Bayonetta as a character. She's every bit as awesome as Dante and more and the supporting cast is just great. Jeanne bitchslaps Vergil down in the "awesome rival" stakes.

While some people have pacing issues with the Outun/Super Hang On and Space Harrier/Afterburner bits (probably from replays) I see them as Kamiya wanting to make an entire short "game" of them, feeling that one short level wouldnt be enough. I think it works for the Space Harrier bit, but less so for the Outrun bit.

Finding all the Alfies to unlock the Lost Chapter feels a bit too much like hard work but we'll see. I've done about 6 or 8 or them I think, and I hate the limited move-set ones the most.

Cagen said:

I love everything about the game including the tongue in cheek presentation, story and cutscenes.

So there you go.

Zeliard

SecretBonusPoint said:
Finding all the Alfies to unlock the Lost Chapter feels a bit too much like hard work but we'll see. I've done about 6 or 8 or them I think, and I hate the limited move-set ones the most.

Ditto. Those are mainly the ones that screw me up.

sonicmj1

Just beat the game on hard. Parts of it are more annoying, but the game definitely pushes you much more. I was able to get a lot of Golds pretty easily on Normal, but the later Hard levels are throwing me Bronze and Stone trophies much more liberally.

I also had the (mis?)fortune to discover that I am a mere four minutes away from clearing Hard in under 3 hours. Not sure where I'm going to find those minutes...

Do times where you died count towards your chapter completion time? I know failed runs in Alfheim do (or I'm pretty sure they do), but I'm not certain about deaths.

Peff

sonicmj1 said:
Just beat the game on hard. Parts of it are more annoying, but the game definitely pushes you much more. I was able to get a lot of Golds pretty easily on Normal, but the later Hard levels are throwing me Bronze and Stone trophies much more liberally.

I also had the (mis?)fortune to discover that I am a mere four minutes away from clearing Hard in under 3 hours. Not sure where I'm going to find those minutes...

Do times where you died count towards your chapter completion time? I know failed runs in Alfheim do (or I'm pretty sure they do), but I'm not certain about deaths.

I ended hard with 3:00:22 :lol Try to find some chapters where you can skip stuff or use items to go faster (XII is a good one, for example).

One fast way I discovered to beat Grace and Glory is to torture attack one, combo it, and grab the claws it drops to quickly kill the other one with a B attack.

ShockingAlberto said:
One fast way I discovered to beat Grace and Glory is to torture attack one, combo it, and grab the claws it drops to quickly kill the other one with a B attack.
Yep, it's best to aim for Grace(the fire one) first since the B attack for his angel weapon is pretty much an instakill against Glory.

twenty1

Banned
Cagen said:

You bought this game why?,.......due to the hype from the fans of Kamiya?.........you obviously didnt know what you were getting yourself into........

Bayonetta GOTY!!!!!!!

TheExodu5

Banned
Cagen said:

Have you even played any game in this genre? DMC3 is the only game with acceptable cutscenes (absolutely ridiculous and over the top, but they don't waste your time like Bayonetta). You should be aware you're buying these games for the gameplay, not the story.

yoopoo

Banned
This game is like watching fight scenes from the Transformers movies...I have no idea whats going on.

Everything in the game is random mush of things. I dunno whats going on with the combat...I'm hitting A, B and X and things are happening...but I can't really make out whats happening on the screen, I see some flashes of lights and blood pops out.

Same with the cutscenes, only thing I can make out how she keeps jumping around off of things and landing with her legs spread and then edge of the screen goes blurry.

yoopoo said:
This game is like watching fight scenes from the Transformers movies...I have no idea whats going on.

Everything in the game is random mush of things. I dunno whats going on with the combat...I'm hitting A, B and X and things are happening...but I can't really make out whats happening on the screen, I see some flashes of lights and blood pops out.

You high?

Zeliard

sonicmj1 said:

What weapons did you mostly go with?

TreIII said:
Can also do with the Durga claws. Doesn't matter if they're fire or lightning.

That reminds me.

During the final boss fight
when Jubileus covers the battlefield in ice, is there a penalty for not staying on the rocky path? I just put on the ice skates just in case and skated over it no problem.

Also, did anybody notice the foreshadowing to what the final boss looks like?

Man, I'm just realizing how nasty the Durga's lightning version is. That + Ice Skates = Super nasty. Those fuckers Grace and Glory can't touch me now on Hard. :lol

jvalioli

Fimbulvetr said:
That reminds me.

During the final boss fight
when Jubileus covers the battlefield in ice, is there a penalty for not staying on the rocky path? I just put on the ice skates just in case and skated over it no problem.

Also, did anybody notice the foreshadowing to what the final boss looks like?
You freeze up for a little bit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TreIII said:
Can also do with the Durga claws. Doesn't matter if they're fire or lightning.
wow, sweet.

Zeliard said:
Ditto. Those are mainly the ones that screw me up.
ShockingAlberto said:
Alfies are better done on Normal, right?
yep, do them on normal. for the limited moveset ones, I recommend equipping Scarborough Fair (guns) on hands, and the Rocket Launchers on your feet (this is my favourite combo and currently the one I use almost exclusively on Hard Mode, at least until I get sick of it anyway). Do combos that end in Wicked Weaves, and hold down each punch/kick for as long as possible so that you get the max damage from bullets/rockets. They're actually very manageable.

For torture attack ones, equip Scarborough Fair on both arms and legs and do the same thing, and your magic skyrockets with time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
How do you change the Durga Claws to lighting? I've got two sets and they both do fire.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just unlocked an item that recharges my magic. What were the requirements I accidentally met?
Vilix said:
How do you change the Durga Claws to lighting? I've got two sets and they both do fire.
depending on whether you have them on your arms or legs, spin the stick and press punch/kick.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Peff said:
Fifty Umbran Bloody Tears (the crows and achievements).
ah, sweet.

I really ought to just look it up myself, but I'm don't want to look at a full unlock list yet. I like the mystery. :lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Rez said:
I just unlocked an item that recharges my magic. What were the requirements I accidentally met?

depending on whether you have them on your arms or legs, spin the stick and press punch/kick.

The left stick?

yoopoo said:

Same with the cutscenes, only thing I can make out how she keeps jumping around off of things and landing with her legs spread and then edge of the screen goes blurry.
I feel the opposite about this game. I think I have more control over everything that happens than I do in pretty much any action game.

Top Bottom