• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
ShockingAlberto said:
I feel the opposite about this game. I think I have more control over everything that happens than I do in pretty much any action game.

I feel exactly the same as you. I can actually dodge stuff properly if I keep my eye on things. It's very methodical.

sonicmj1

Zeliard said:
What weapons did you mostly go with?

Electric Durga on hands, Kilgore on feet was my primary set.

I screwed around with a bunch of different things on the second set, but it was usually Sword in hands and Skates on the feet.

I sorta feel like I should try out the shotguns a bit more than I have.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sonicmj1 said:
Electric Durga on hands, Kilgore on feet was my primary set.

I screwed around with a bunch of different things on the second set, but it was usually Sword in hands and Skates on the feet.

I sorta feel like I should try out the shotguns a bit more than I have.
wow, that's nearly the same as my load-out (I have the guns with rockets instead, but the rest is identical).

I too need to try out the shotguns some more.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Shotguns/feet works pretty good for air combos, I really don't like the feel of them on hands though.

How are the handguns though?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Sword / skates is too much fun. That's pretty much all I use now, gotta try out the others, heh.

remz

kiryogi said:
I'm a basics guy.

A: scarborough rose, odette
B: kushedra, onyx rose or kilgore.

I'm not feeling durga. So slow.
Yeah, I can't get used to the durga either.

at the moment,

A: Sword, skates

B:Shotguns, kilgore

I change around B heaps though.

Facism

just got past the complete rancid turd of Route 666. With all the sega references, i'm tempted that level is supposed to emulate the shitty controls and physics of any Sonic Adventure game.

Rest of the game is amazing. Feels more of a sequel to DMC3 then DMC4 does.

Again, amazing game.

Facism

durga is fun when you switch it's element around from fire to electricity with a 360 Left stick spin + Y/B (depending on where you equip it ;d)

careksims

I just beaten it. PURE AWESOME-SAUCE. Love the
Epilogue and dance sequence at the end. Wish there was a co-op version of Jeanne and Bayonetta.
Now to keep playing and get better at it! So good that it killed my first 360 and now I'm on my spare lol!

Durga's are great! Especially holding the Y for the big blast.

andymcc

Banned
i've put about 20 hours into it and i still feel as if i'm only scratching the surface of the game. the mechanics are so deep. i love playing around with alternating weapon sets.

this game is my favorite of this generation, by a long shot.

conman

I love the game, but is anyone else really bothered by the camera in this game? It's the one stain on an otherwise spotless experience.

Too often the manual camera controls are fighting against the auto-controlled camera. Ends up with some really bad angles. Luckily there aren't many tight spaces like in NG, but any time you start moving towards a wall, the camera does criminal things. Really got bad in the final battle. Wish there was a way to disable the auto-camera.

Why can't Japanese devs of action games figure out how to do a proper camera?

kiryogi

Banned
Facism said:
just got past the complete rancid turd of Route 666. With all the sega references, i'm tempted that level is supposed to emulate the shitty controls and physics of any Sonic Adventure game.

Rest of the game is amazing. Feels more of a sequel to DMC3 then DMC4 does.

Again, amazing game.

Afterburner actually.

Monocle

ShockingAlberto said:
Just to be clear, I have to speedrun each chapter individually so they add up to less than 180 minutes, right?
Yeah. Your total completion time can be viewed on the play history screen, in the rightmost column. Select an entry and you'll see a breakdown of all the missions you finished on the corresponding difficulty.

You'll need to speed run Normal or above. I used the panther form to travel through all optional verses and interstitial areas. In my impatience, I used the Durga exploit combo and Durga flame bombs for mandatory battles. (In case you're unaware of the Durga exploit combo: In one set equip pistols, shotguns or the katana to hands, Durga to feet. In the other set equip anything but Durga to hands, and Lt. Col. Kilgore to feet. My preferred setup is the katana and Durga in Set A, the whip and Kilgore in Set B. The actual combo is the following. With the Durga set, PPP~K or PPPPK. Just after hitting K, switch to the Kilgore set and mash K like there's no tomorrow. This activates a kick flurry where Bayonetta lets loose dozens of rockets for tremendous damage.) My completion time was around 2:35.

ezekial45 said:
Can anyone point me to a site that has all the record piece locations? The last weapon i got was the Durga and i only found pieces of the 2 records after that one.
GameFAQs forums' sticky threads and Xbox360Achievements.org's achievements guides and forums are the first places I check for guides to collectibles. Great resources.

remz

Too often the manual camera controls are fighting against the auto-controlled camera. Ends up with some really bad angles. Luckily there aren't many tight spaces like in NG, but any time you start moving towards a wall, the camera does criminal things. Really got bad in the final battle. Wish there was a way to disable the auto-camera.
Worst is on route 666 when you're trying to keep track of the cars running you over whilst fighting, urgh.

jvalioli

I'm not really feeling the difference between Jeane on hard and Jeane on normal. I'm actually not feeling huge changes in a lot of the bosses. Regular enemies on the other hand...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Everything in the game is random mush of things. I dunno whats going on with the combat...I'm hitting A, B and X and things are happening...but I can't really make out whats happening on the screen, I see some flashes of lights and blood pops out.
It may seem that way at first, but in reality, it provides a level of control not yet seen in such an action game. EVERYTHING can be cancelled! You always have full, direct control over what you are doing.

jvalioli said:
I'm not really feeling the difference between Jeane on hard and Jeane on normal. I'm actually not feeling huge changes in a lot of the bosses. Regular enemies on the other hand...

The level 7 boss changes the hand he loses first!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
kiryogi said:
I'm a basics guy.

A: scarborough fair, odette
B: kushedra, onyx rose or kilgore.

I'm not feeling durga. So slow.

The fire version is slow, but electric is really fast. Have you tried it out?

I seem to be going with sword/ice skates and electric durga/kilgore. Awesome stuff.

Which accessory bracelet should I go for first? What's going to give the most immediate benefit? Does the taunt/ heal bracelet work very well? And what the deuce does the "Gaze of Despair" do?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Sword/Durga might as well be called easy mode. That is a ridiculously powerful combo.

Team Klimt said:
Which accessory bracelet should I go for first? What's going to give the most immediate benefit? Does the taunt/ heal bracelet work very well? And what the deuce does the "Gaze of Despair" do?
The taunt bracelet is kinda crappy. I roll with the parry item and the thing that activates witch time when hit (and I sub beads for that in Infinite Climax)

I didn't expect myself to get sucked into a Hard playthrough this easily, but it almost feels like just finishing the entire game was a prologue to the trial of fire that is Hard Mode. It throws everything has at you and I am fucking loving responding to that with my utmost best.

I hope this is selling well but I kinda doubt it, even though its the greatest action combat game ever made.

SecretBonusPoint said:
I didn't expect myself to get sucked into a Hard playthrough this easily, but it almost feels like just finishing the entire game was a prologue to the trial of fire that is Hard Mode. It throws everything has at you and I am fucking loving responding to that with my utmost best.

I hope this is selling well but I kinda doubt it, even though its the greatest action combat game ever made.
Yeah

This is the first game where, the minute the credits rolled back to the title screen, I started immediately up on the next higher difficulty.

Unless Itagaki brings his absolute slow-cooked best with Tokyo Vikings, I think Bayonetta and GODHAND will stand tall as the absolute finest combat games there have ever been until Kamiya challenges himself to this extent again.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Unless Itagaki brings his absolute slow-cooked best with Tokyo Vikings, I think Bayonetta and GODHAND will stand tall as the absolute finest combat games there have ever been until Kamiya challenges himself to this extent again.
Don't you think it's a little early to say that? And Kamiya had nothing to do with God Hand.

God's Beard said:
Don't you think it's a little early to say that? And Kamiya had nothing to do with God Hand.

I know he didn't, but Mikami is an odd beast that cannot be predicted while we all know Kamiya will be back at the "Climax Action" pot again one day, if not immediately after. GODHAND achieves absolute perfection as a meaty technical fist brawler while Bayonetta brings the distilled brilliance of speed, projectile combat and combos to a point I can't see being matched.

I just love the fact I can be anywhere in the battle area. I can cartwheel between enemies, I can turn into a panther and circle the entire field in less than a second or I can charge through the entire mess as a fucking rising comet. Delicious.

slade

Beat the game on normal at eleven hours. Overall it's a good game but it doesn't beat DMC3 for me because of the gartuitous use of QTE's. Also, some of those non-action segments like the
missile flying, motorcycle riding
were just not that fun.

Volcynika said:
The real question is...did you like it?

Loved it. I love Kamiya's stuff, and I love OOT stuff in games, so this it like perfect for me. The last 20 minutes were just wayyyyyyyyyyy out there though :D

Volcynika

Keyser Soze said:
Loved it. I love Kamiya's stuff, and I love OOT stuff in games, so this it like perfect for me. The last 20 minutes were just wayyyyyyyyyyy out there though :D

Yeah, I was speechless myself when I beat the game too :lol

SecretBonusPoint said:
I know he didn't, but Mikami is an odd beast that cannot be predicted while we all know Kamiya will be back at the "Climax Action" pot again one day, if not immediately after. GODHAND achieves absolute perfection as a meaty technical fist brawler while Bayonetta brings the distilled brilliance of speed, projectile combat and combos to a point I can't see being matched.

I just love the fact I can be anywhere in the battle area. I can cartwheel between enemies, I can turn into a panther and circle the entire field in less than a second or I can charge through the entire mess as a fucking rising comet. Delicious.

It's a good game to be sure, but it just doesn't give me the same satisfaction of beating levels on DMC3 or NGB. It's just not challenging enough, and I didn't feel like the bosses really lived up to my expectations of the genre. Even Jeanne was a poor man's Vergil in nicer arenas. Hard mode with the anger bracelet was only almost as hard as the original DMC3's normal mode, and the enemies aren't all as fun to fight as NGB's. It's gameplay mechanics certainly don't reach God Hand's, but I think that Kamiya is going for a much less hardcore audience with this game than the 3 I mentioned. Going for those God of War dollars. It's definitely a good game, and dodge offset is a great idea, so I'd say it's his second best action game after DMC1.

Giolon said:
I think it's been confirmed that getting the Eternal Marionette unlocking Jeanne was misinformation. The only way to unlock that is by getting platinum on all Chapters (note: not verses) or using the "cheat" code unlock for 1 million halos.
This is incorrect as well. Just beat the game on Easy or Very Easy. That's the only way to get it. A cheat code can get the Eternal Testimony.
15qx2lc.png

The accessory basically turns the higher difficulties to "Automatic", and hurts your score on Hard and Infinite Climax.

Top Bottom