• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

scitek

I'm fucking awful at this game, and most of the reason is because I just can't get used to the control scheme. I'm just SO used to God of War and Ninja Gaiden that it's just kicking my ass.

bounchfx

scitek said:
I'm fucking awful at this game, and most of the reason is because I just can't get used to the control scheme. I'm just SO used to God of War and Ninja Gaiden that it's just kicking my ass.

uh? the stick for movement, Y+B for combos, and RT for dodge? that takes getting used to....?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
My biggest problem was dropping the habit of button mashing... I didn't even really grasp dodge offset until near the end of my first playthrough.

scitek

bounchfx said:
uh? the stick for movement, Y+B for combos, and RT for dodge? that takes getting used to....?

I'm used to LT, or L1 for blocking, and right stick for dodging. I'm using my right thumb to attack like crazy, and when I get in an intense fight, I have a bad habit from those other games of not needing my finger right behind the RT, but in this game I have to do all the mechanics with the same hand. I rarely ever switch weapons in the middle of a fight, so why couldn't that mechanic have been mapped to a place I rarely use?

Also, having to click the right stick to center the camera is stupid because you take your thumb off the face buttons to do so, so if I ever get in a corner and I can't see--which has happened a few times already--I have to stop attacking for a second to move my thumb to the stick to fix the camera. I'm left completely vulnerable. All I want is to customize my controls.

bounchfx

scitek said:
I'm used to LT, or L1 for blocking, and right stick for dodging. I'm using my right thumb to attack like crazy, and when I get in an intense fight, I have a bad habit from those other games of not needing my finger right behind the RT, but in this game I have to do all the mechanics with the same hand. I rarely ever switch weapons in the middle of a fight, so why couldn't that mechanic have been mapped to a place I rarely use?

Also, having to click the right stick to center the camera is stupid because you take your thumb off the face buttons to do so, so if I ever get in a corner and I can't see--which has happened a few times already--I have to stop attacking for a second to move my thumb to the stick to fix the camera. I'm left completely vulnerable. All I want is to customize my controls.

ahh, I gotcha. I do think every game should have customizable controls, for sure.

but I mean, give it a little more time, it shouldn't be that hard to shift over. and come to think of it, I honestly don't think i've ever used my camera lol. I had no idea you could center it by clicking!.. and I'm at the last level, eep!

either way, give it a little more time.

Nemesis_

Nemesis556 said:
So umm was anyone disappointed by the final battle? Jeanne IV was much more harder to beat.

I stand corrected by the game itself. Epic and awesome endgame. Cannot believe how amazing Bayonetta is. It's without a doubt the best game in the genre.

Just finished chapter 10.

This game keeps getting better.

Normal seems perfectly balanced. I usually finish big battles nearly dying, and when I do fail, the checkpoints are reasonable.

I don't even mind the repeating bosses. The best part about fighting the bosses in this game is that it doesn't feel like pattern memorization. You can play them by feel, if you know what I mean.

Even if the game starts sucking from here, it'll still end up on my all time best list just based on how much fun I've had with the combat so far. Looking forward to my second playthrough already.

I'm determined to learn this fucking game.

Blueblur1

Just completed a couple of chapters after Chapter 10 and I'm still loving it. I'm glad that I changed my mind and purchased it instead of renting it. I could be playing Bayonetta for a long while. :D

I felt like I missed something at the end, I really didn't find the last few levels that astonishing and felt the stellar elements (
Super Mario sphere planes and what not as seen in the chapters before
) were under-utilised. Whilst shitty, undeveloped mini-game segments went on for much too long... Also for a game that was meant to be revolutionary it sure had a lot of similarities in enemy design for DMC4 and whilst the combat was sunning for the most part (loved the ability to skip moves in combos by dodging, especially on hard), the QTE/GoW torture attack elements seemed like a rather large step back from NG2. It's a great game no doubt, I'm just not seeing how it's a huge step ahead like others are.

With that said, the Joy torture attack makes up for just about everything.

mikeGFG

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Finally done the prologue on Hard :lol

Doing 3 torture attacks in a storm of Glorys to progress was...wow. Its like I've re-learned the game.

tell me about it. They are not fucking around on hard-mode, especially on the alfhiem verses.

The auto-taunt/enrage accessory probably isnt helping things either. :lol

ZeroRay

Wow! Beat Chapter 3 and it felt like I went through a whole game with the beginning of Chapter 4 being the final boss.

Game has a few problems but it's too fun for me to care about them too much.

Can't wait to see what happens next!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
a Master Ninja said:
No, it does matter. Having Durga set to fire will allow you to walk on lava. You will take damage if it is set to electricity.
I had no clue. Good to know.

Matt_C

Game of forever confirmed and I just finished the prologue. +1 sale on NPD for the 360 version. I dig the plot and I notice that the cut scene presentation barrows a lot from the Cutie Honey movie.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just beat it. Im going to assume if there is a sequel it will be for next gen machines, cause they didnt even bother to leave room to top themselves. They just threw everything into the game and didnt hold back.

Only negatives i can think of are;

-that damn moon song, im sick of it now.
-Some of the quick time actions are trial and error.
-penalties for item use and the limiting of item selling can be a real pain in the ass.
-the plot is insane.

God's Beard said:
It's a good game to be sure, but it just doesn't give me the same satisfaction of beating levels on DMC3 or NGB. It's just not challenging enough, and I didn't feel like the bosses really lived up to my expectations of the genre. Even Jeanne was a poor man's Vergil in nicer arenas. Hard mode with the anger bracelet was only almost as hard as the original DMC3's normal mode, and the enemies aren't all as fun to fight as NGB's. It's gameplay mechanics certainly don't reach God Hand's, but I think that Kamiya is going for a much less hardcore audience with this game than the 3 I mentioned. Going for those God of War dollars. It's definitely a good game, and dodge offset is a great idea, so I'd say it's his second best action game after DMC1.
I agree with this.

Bernbaum

Four chapters in and I'm hooked although I wish there was more combat. Maybe a leetle too stop-start with the cutscenes, and the checkpoints could be refined a bit as well.

Surprised at how well an action noob like me could get into the combat. Yes, I have some favourite combo's that I like to spam, but many of them come naturally and it's incredibly rewarding to nail a confrontation without taking health and score a platinum medal.

Frequent screen tearing doesn't get me down (360 version here), and I find it odd that the game looks much better during action sequences than cutscenes.

Not perfect, but very very rewarding.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, I love the game, but the near instantaneous enemy attack out of a cut scene is fucking irritating.

jvalioli

thetrin said:
Wow, I love the game, but the near instantaneous enemy attack out of a cut scene is fucking irritating.
Yeah this drove me nuts but I would often die somewhere in the middle fight so the next time I would just mash the trigger. Really really weird that they decided to do this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
thetrin said:

THIS THIS THIS

I went through Chapter 9 or 10 then went back through to get an LP piece I missed. I got to the battleship thing's intro and skipped it, but completely forgot how that scene ends...que a shitload of missiles IMMEDIATELY in my face. There's also a part in that chapter where a few chests contain a Grace & Glory...but even though I remembered, I still got hit because they actually attack on the way out. As much as I love this game, stuff like that along with Alfeims being included in the verse score makes me really unmotivated to actually go for really good ranks. You would need to either watch the enemy intro scenes, or remember the timing on every single one because the majority end with an attack.

However, I just did chapter 14. Words can't describe the awesome.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Hard mode is just murderous. DMC3's Dante Must Die was easy compared to this. Fuck, this game is so goddamn satisfying. There's nothing better than beating these damn levels. Grace and Glory or Joy fights on Hard, are the apex of the freaking genre. Holy shit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
Hard mode is just murderous. DMC3's Dante Must Die was easy compared to this. Fuck, this game is so goddamn satisfying. There's nothing better than beating these damn levels. Grace and Glory or Joy fights on Hard, are the apex of the freaking genre. Holy shit.
Grace and Glory are some of the most annoying fucking enemies ever. Good god i hate them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if by annoying you mean the most fun to brutally murder, then yes, I agree

TheCardPlayer

~Kinggi~ said:
Grace and Glory are some of the most annoying fucking enemies ever. Good god i hate them.

Grace and Glory are just like Agni and Rudra from DMC3...except that they are a thousand tines funnier to fight.

I don't know how you guys are getting Platinum this game is kicking my ass, I don't quite understand how to get my combos higher unless I wear the anger bracelet.

My biggest complaints:
no custom control set
Penalizing for using items
the Story, at the end of all of that I still don't understand what the hell was going on when the main villain explained.

This game been more frustrating than fun, but ill continue to go for the unlocks.

ezekial45

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:

I thought the gold versions of Grace and Glory were a thousand times tougher to flight. Especially since Witch Time seems to be disabled when you fight them.

TheCardPlayer

Toonami 99 said:
Penalizing for using items

Why is that bad? Games like this, always do this and it forces players to actually get good instead of relying on cheap shit to get through fights.

DY_nasty said:
My biggest problem was dropping the habit of button mashing... I didn't even really grasp dodge offset until near the end of my first playthrough.

THIS. I am so used mashing every attack button in DMC. I can't calmly press buttons in a methodical fashion when there are five crazy angel dudes trying to kill me all at once! When I dodge I almost always turn into a wolf cause I mash on it.

Nemesis_

Playing Hard mode now. I cringe just thinking about how bad my rating would be without the Bat Within.

If you wanna feel like a real bad-ass, master the Moon accessory. Fucking awesome to just BAM stop a move

TheCardPlayer said:
Why is that bad? Games like this, always do this and it forces players to actually get good instead of relying on cheap shit to get through fights.

Did DMC1 do this? (never played it) The no item bonus is fine and I normally don't use items until the harder difficulties even in dmc3+4, but they didn't drastically lower you score for using them. Not everyone is perfect and I understand a Penalty for using the invincible item.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jvalioli said:
Yeah this drove me nuts but I would often die somewhere in the middle fight so the next time I would just mash the trigger. Really really weird that they decided to do this.

I'm not really sure why. It seems really fucking cheap, and it gets even worse as you continue in the game. I love the game, and I always differentiated Kamiya from Itagaki because Kamiya never tried to cheap shot you, but Bayonetta enemy intros seem to be full of that shit.

It's unfortunate, because it becomes hard to describe the game as completely fair when you can lose 1/4 of your health because a cutscene just ended, and you weren't mashing the evade button a millisecond later.

Papercuts said:
THIS THIS THIS

I went through Chapter 9 or 10 then went back through to get an LP piece I missed. I got to the battleship thing's intro and skipped it, but completely forgot how that scene ends...que a shitload of missiles IMMEDIATELY in my face. There's also a part in that chapter where a few chests contain a Grace & Glory...but even though I remembered, I still got hit because they actually attack on the way out. As much as I love this game, stuff like that along with Alfeims being included in the verse score makes me really unmotivated to actually go for really good ranks. You would need to either watch the enemy intro scenes, or remember the timing on every single one because the majority end with an attack.

However, I just did chapter 14. Words can't describe the awesome.

Actually, the semi-fucked up thing is that the Grace and Glory locations in the chest are randomized (at least I think they are).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:
I'm not really sure why. It seems really fucking cheap, and it gets even worse as you continue in the game. I love the game, and I always differentiated Kamiya from Itagaki because Kamiya never tried to cheap shot you, but Bayonetta enemy intros seem to be full of that shit.

It's unfortunate, because it becomes hard to describe the game as completely fair when you can lose 1/4 of your health because a cutscene just ended, and you weren't mashing the evade button a millisecond later.
it's meant to be a slap in the face in the same way QTEs are. pay attention at all times or suffer.

people don't like being slapped in the face, therefore, people hate both of these things. I'm one of those people. it's a cool way of reminding people on their first playthrough who's boss, but when you're playing on Hard and skipping cutscenes, it can be a real bitch.

thetrin

Rez said:
it's meant to be a slap in the face in the same way QTEs are. pay attention at all times or suffer.

people don't like being slapped in the face, therefore, people hate both of these things. I'm one of those people. it's a cool way of reminding people on their first playthrough who's boss, but when you're playing on Hard and skipping cutscenes, it can be a real bitch.

I dunno, I guess I don't like the game's attitude about cutscenes. Cutscenes for me are part of the ebb and flow of the gameplay. I don't want to be in tense action mode for 2 hours straight. I want to see cool cutscene, then have tense action, then relax and watch cutscene, then have action, then relax, etc etc.

This is one thing I wish more developers would learn. I don't like sitting there feeling the same thing all game.

Arggghhh i hate yous all, i had thought i could miss both darksiders and this and wait for the big onslaugh of titles in a few weeks. I guess this is a must buy then huh, will pick it up tomorrow.:lol

Man, I hate R2 for dodge. It's uncomfortable to use and I'm so used to R1 for that stuff. I'm stuck trying to beat this hidden combat arena in area 3 (?) and it's really irritating me right now. You'd think I would learn it by now, but nope. This game also has a tendency to make me feel bad about everything I do. I'll take out a room full of enemies and feel good about myself then a big notice will show up telling me I got a bronze, or I'll do a great job in a battle and it will still pick out some flaws or hits I didn't notice to point out I suck.

Other then that the game is pretty damn good. I like the upgrades I'm seeing, even though I'm far from getting any of them, and I just discovered the item combination which is really cool. I also love the training while you load. I've actually been disappointed when the game loads because it cut off right before I could do a combo I've never done.

thetrin

Tkawsome said:
Man, I hate R2 for dodge. It's uncomfortable to use and I'm so used to R1 for that stuff. I'm stuck trying to beat this hidden combat arena in area 3 (?) and it's really irritating me right now. You'd think I would learn it by now, but nope. This game also has a tendency to make me feel bad about everything I do. I'll take out a room full of enemies and feel good about myself then a big notice will show up telling me I got a bronze, or I'll do a great job in a battle and it will still pick out some flaws or hits I didn't notice to point out I suck.

Other then that the game is pretty damn good. I like the upgrades I'm seeing, even though I'm far from getting any of them, and I just discovered the item combination which is really cool. I also love the training while you load. I've actually been disappointed when the game loads because it cut off right before I could do a combo I've never done.

I'm getting a very different feeling from this than I ever got with DMC. That is to say, DMC made me feel like a badass. Bayonetta makes me feel like I fucking suck. :( I very rarely end Bayonetta sessions feeling good.

Korey

Going through the Alfheims now. Just beat four of them. Really satisfying but can't believe there's
of them...this game will be the death of me.

Giolon

a Master Ninja said:
This is incorrect as well. Just beat the game on Easy or Very Easy. That's the only way to get it. A cheat code can get the Eternal Testimony.
<snip picture>
The accessory basically turns the higher difficulties to "Automatic", and hurts your score on Hard and Infinite Climax.

By "that" I was referring to
Jeanne
which is kind of a spoiler that's not commented out in your quotation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
thetrin said:
I'm getting a very different feeling from this than I ever got with DMC. That is to say, DMC made me feel like a badass. Bayonetta makes me feel like I fucking suck. :( I very rarely end Bayonetta sessions feeling good.

I just feel like it takes a lot longer to actually grasp the mechanics of Bayonetta, but is still very capable of giving you the same feelings. It's the little things like dropping down on a platform and getting a pure platinum on a Joy x 3 fight ending with a torture attack that make you feel incredible.

thetrin

Papercuts said:
I just feel like it takes a lot longer to actually grasp the mechanics of Bayonetta, but is still very capable of giving you the same feelings. It's the little things like dropping down on a platform and getting a pure platinum on a Joy x 3 fight ending with a torture attack that make you feel incredible.

The Kinships are ruining my fun of the game. I love the other enemies, but the Kinships can suck a cock. In fact, they have a nice big mouth hole on the front. They SHOULD do that.

Aw man, I just got a stone award. Stone!

Why does this game hate me so much? I'm good, I just beat some kickass dragon who got his head stuck in a church. Apparently that's not good enough to get a little bronze though.

thetrin said:

I feel the same way. Everytime I finish a chapter I feel like I messed up or really suck at action games.

finished hard...

and i still love the motorcycle/space harrier segments, a perfect homage to classic gaming. the most disturbing things for me are the -steer the bullet/boss- parts. it's just trial and error, since you don't have enough time to dodge incoming stuff. i've just died five times in a row on the last boss and ended completely screwing my score, thanks for that.

now it's about time try infinite climax.

diss

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I also love the training while you load. I've actually been disappointed when the game loads because it cut off right before I could do a combo I've never done.
Someone should sticky the fact that if you press BACK while in the loading screen (SELECT on the PS3 I guess?) you can practice as long as you want.

Aske

thetrin said:

Haven't kept up with the thread until now to avoid spoilers so I don't know how far in you are, but having finally finished my first run today I found myself feeling the exact opposite. To me, nothing besides DMC 1 and NG 2 have conveyed that feeling of complete badassness except Bayonetta. I found it tough to get used to the control scheme like everyone else, but the learning curve has been a hell of a lot easier than DMC 1 was back in the day. I'm hoping Hard mode will be significantly tougher, but just as fair - like DMC 1's difficulty modes. I'm still taking hits and getting bad grades, having my rhythm ruined by awful QTEs (why Y+B to evade one minute and stick+A the next?), and becoming frustrated by the 360 pad's face buttons every time I have to mash during a climax, but by the end of the game I was running rings around most enemies and it felt incredible. I can only imagine how much better this will be once I start getting DMC-good at it, and the enemies start getting DMD challenging. So good to finally be fighting regular enemies that are as satisfying as Shadows.

Loam

thetrin said:
The Kinships are ruining my fun of the game. I love the other enemies, but the Kinships can suck a cock. In fact, they have a nice big mouth hole on the front. They SHOULD do that.

Wait what? Kinships are the easy ones to beat. Dodge missiles > Jump on board > Hack a few times > Dodge another set of missile or chain > dead.

Grace + Glory and their gold counterpart which blocks witchtime on the other hand can go die. If anyone has any ideas on how the fuck to beat them relatively cleanly that would be nice.

Top Bottom