• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
a Master Ninja said:
The accessory basically turns the higher difficulties to "Automatic", and hurts your score on Hard and Infinite Climax.

can you get platinum trophy with that piece of shit? that would be very lame.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wren said:
Wait what? Kinships are the easy ones to beat. Dodge missiles > Jump on board > Hack a few times > Dodge another set of missile or chain > dead.

Grace + Glory and their gold counterpart which blocks witchtime on the other hand can go die. If anyone has any ideas on how the fuck to beat them relatively cleanly that would be nice.

Sure, if Kinships ever traveled by themselves. A group of 3 kinships makes me want to stop playing the game.

Aske said:
Haven't kept up with the thread until now to avoid spoilers so I don't know how far in you are, but having finally finished my first run today I found myself feeling the exact opposite. To me, nothing besides DMC 1 and NG 2 have conveyed that feeling of complete badassness except Bayonetta. I found it tough to get used to the control scheme like everyone else, but the learning curve has been a hell of a lot easier than DMC 1 was back in the day. I'm hoping Hard mode will be significantly tougher, but just as fair - like DMC 1's difficulty modes. I'm still taking hits and getting bad grades, having my rhythm ruined by awful QTEs (why Y+B to evade one minute and stick+A the next?), and becoming frustrated by the 360 pad's face buttons every time I have to mash during a climax, but by the end of the game I was running rings around most enemies and it felt incredible. I can only imagine how much better this will be once I start getting DMC-good at it, and the enemies start getting DMD challenging. So good to finally be fighting regular enemies that are as satisfying as Shadows.

Yeaaaaah, I feel like you and I are playing completely different games. I don't see how bayonetta is in any way easier than DMC1. DMC1 didn't have crazy cheap "Oh hey, we just got here, here's 10 missiles in the face" battle starts.

Then again, I've never ventured past Normal in any 3D action game. The genre scares the shit out of me (strange considering I find fighting games far easier to learn)

another thing to add: i love the intense button mashing on climax finishers. feels like it's me beating all the big bosses up, like it should be.

it's just so much fun.

Miburou

I actually enjoyed the racing section in the game, and was surprised how unchallenging it was (didn't get hit once), and the Afterburner one wasn't bad either (especially after I realized that you can move vertically, just that the controls were inverted :lol ).

Regarding the QTEs, my only issue with them is that they're inconsistent. In once sequence I knew I had to jump, so I was ready to press A (and possibly a direction) just like I had to do in an earlier sequence, but then X button popped up on screen and I died. That makes them more trial and error than a quick reactions test.

jabipun said:
So which do you think is Kamiya's best character (from the game HE directed/made)
All are good, but: Bayonetta >>> Viewtiful Joe >>>>> Amaterasu >> Leon >>> Dante.

TheCardPlayer said:
Bayonetta might be the coolest game character ever.

Hmm, you know what? After thinking about it for a while...I agree! Bayonetta is so good!

DihcarEM

thetrin said:
Yeaaaaah, I feel like you and I are playing completely different games. I don't see how bayonetta is in any way easier than DMC1. DMC1 didn't have crazy cheap "Oh hey, we just got here, here's 10 missiles in the face" battle starts.

Then again, I've never ventured past Normal in any 3D action game. The genre scares the shit out of me (strange considering I find fighting games far easier to learn)

He's right. DMC1 on dantemustdie mode is far more diffecult then Bayonetta on climax mode.
But then again you already stated the reason why you wouldn't know this(never past normal).

Aske

Rez said:
it's meant to be a slap in the face in the same way QTEs are. pay attention at all times or suffer.

people don't like being slapped in the face, therefore, people hate both of these things. I'm one of those people. it's a cool way of reminding people on their first playthrough who's boss, but when you're playing on Hard and skipping cutscenes, it can be a real bitch.

The thing that really irritates me about the cutscene QTEs in this game is that you sweat your way through a challenging fight in which failure and death feel realistic, and then right as you're about to deliver the coup de grâce or deal with a simple environmental obsticle - which should be a fucking breeze for a crack shot with catlike reflexes like Bayonetta - you fluff the whole battle because you suddenly have to hit a button with no warning. Fine to make cut scenes interactive if the task is impossible to fail; even fine to add challenging QTEs to the combat which would make sense if Bayonetta herself screwed them up. But it shatters the player's connection to the protagonist if she misses an incredibly easy shot or jump simply because the player isn't psychic. Cutscenes should feel like rewards for a job well done. They shouldn't feel more frustrating that the toughest fights.

God of War's QTEs were much more fair and sensible than these, as were RE4's; in fact I found the GoW gorgon fleece-parry and creature execution QTEs actively rewarding and fun. It's a real shame that Kamiya tainted an otherwise perfect action game with utterly redundant QTEs and failed to get the balance of fairness and believability right - especially after knocking the far more complex combat mechanics out of the park.

I feel I have to restate that I absolutely love Bayonetta, and the game more that delivered on all its promises. My expectations were high, and the game exceeded them. This is my only real beef. I can deal with the Space Harrier sequence, and I genuinely loved the Outrun bits. But in the next next evolution of action games, Kamiya needs to axe the QTEs, or at least limit them to things that the protagonist him/herself might actually screw up. Keep them out of the cutscenes.

Aske

thetrin said:

I remember cutscenes finishing with spinning Shadows flying at my face and Frosts and Blades leaping in en masse. I think the goat-headed scythes started their fights by flying into attacks straight out of their intro cutscenes too; in fact many DMC battles began that way. Readying myself to hit dodge as soon as the action resumed never really bothered me in DMC or Bayonetta. Despite taking a lot of surprise hits, it always felt pretty fair to me, and once I knew it was coming it was never a problem in either game.

But I was really thinking about the difficulty curve of DMC 1. I remember Marionettes tearing me to pieces on the first level countless times before I started to figure out the controls and the attacks; plus Dante was shockingly weak before you started to feed him blue orbs and new moves. Phantom seemed impossible the first time I faced him, and the game's difficulty curve only leveled off for me after finally getting past that first boss fight - after what felt like an eternity. Bayonetta is tough, but it's a lot easier to break into on Normal than DMC was. Which makes sense, since no game with similar mechanics existed prior to DMC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just finished Hard mode! fucked up my last award by accidentally dieing during the
dodging planets as you direct The Creator into the Sun sequence (which is one of the most over the top, awesome things ever)
, so I only got a Silver.

Just did the Prologue on Infinite Climax, managed to Pure Platinum the torture attack section with the Grace and Glory. I think I'm going to enjoy this mode a whole lot, especially with the recently unlocked
laser guns (omg!)
. :D

I've played so much of this game, about 30 hours worth, and I'm still not even close to tired with it. Hell, I've barely experimented with the different weapon types yet. This is the first character-action game I've really spent any serious amount of time trying to master, but man, it makes me wonder what I've been missing out on all this time. I almost want to go buy DMC3 now... after I'm done with Bayonetta, which will be a while yet. There's still so much content left for me to explore and unlock, it's fantastic. I haven't even touched the Lost Chapter yet, for example.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tricky I Shadow said:
All are good, but: Bayonetta >>> Viewtiful Joe >>>>> Amaterasu >> Leon >>> Dante.

Hmm, you know what? After thinking about it for a while...I agree! Bayonetta is so good!

Amaterasu and VJ are #1 for me, but Bayonetta is definitely up there.

Aske

Rez said:
just finished Hard mode! fucked up my last award by accidentally dieing during the
dodging planets as you direct The Creator into the Sun sequence (which is one of the most over the top, awesome things ever)
, so I only got a Silver.

I totally thought I had to
smash the creator into every planet
the first time I did it. And yes, it is one of the most awesome things ever. The whole epilogue is magnificent.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aske said:
I totally thought I had to
smash the creator into every planet
the first time I did it. And yes, it is one of the most awesome things ever. The whole epilogue is magnificent.
haha, yeah so did I. the lip-target on
the sun wasn't enough to clue me in. I was like, hell, everything else has been super over-the-top, why not smash a few planets as well?
:lol

i cannot believe how much i suck at this game... i'm obviously not getting something right...

I'm on the second level with the witch time and the plane and simply cannot do 3 torture attacks in the alloted time.

WTF.

Any tips on filling the magic bar fast?

NinjaFusion said:
i cannot believe how much i suck at this game... i'm obviously not getting something right...

I'm on the second level with the witch time and the plane and simply cannot do 3 torture attacks in the alloted time.

WTF.

Taunts, items.

I'm partial to taunting myself. There's more than enough room to panther yourself away, taunt, then run to find some more breathing room.

You'll be cutting it close. I made pretty much no mistakes and still barely got it done with thirty seconds left.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
NinjaFusion said:

WTF.

hold down the punch/kick button after each attack to shoot. you can draw out each combo really long that way, and it really drums up the magic.

diss

Banned
Rez said:
hold down the punch/kick button after each attack to shoot. you can draw out each combo really long that way, and it really drums up the magic.
Very interesting. Goddammit I'm still playing it wrong!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best way to farm Halos? My guess is boss chapters, hmm?

Alx

After thinking about how much I enjoyed this game, I wonder if I could give Viewtiful Joe a chance... after all it's from the same director, and shares manys things with Bayonetta (it's also a beat'em all, with slow time and crazy characters...).

I know there are many fans here, but how dit it age honestly ? Would playing this game feel like a big step back after Bayonetta ? Is it easy enough for someone like me who is not really hardcore ? (one of the things I loved in Bayonetta, is how normal difficulty was perfectly balanced, for me anyway...).
And does it work on the Wii ? I don't remember where I put my Gamecube...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
diss said:
Very interesting. Goddammit I'm still playing it wrong!
just remember that this won't work if you're further in the game and have unequipped the guns from your arms legs. if you have the guns on your hands, it will only work with punches, if you have them equipped on your legs, it will only work on your kicks. if you have them equipped on your arms and legs, like you do during the beginning of the game, then you can go crazy with both. it's how I completed the torture attack Alfheims (Scarborough Fair equipped to arms and legs).

Vilix said:
What's the best way to farm Halos? My guess is boss chapters, hmm?
yeah, but I'd recommend against it. by the time I was done with my Normal and Hard playthroughs, as well as some other random chapter replays, I had bought everything available to me in the shop (at the moment). don't spoil it by farming them, it's always nice to have an excuse to return to the store after a chapter or two.

Enjoying the game so far, but one thing that pissed me off a bit... the part when I had to press [] part way through a boss. You had like a millisecond to press it. Took me about 15 attempts to hit it.

Also what's up with the leaderboards? No-one is displaying.

Oh and what does Automatic mean under the Very Easy and Easy difficulty?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Katana_Strikes said:
Enjoying the game so far, but one thing that pissed me off a bit... the part when I had to press [] part way through a boss. You had like a millisecond to press it. Took me about 15 attempts to hit it.

Also what's up with the leaderboards? No-one is displaying.

Oh and what does Automatic mean under the Very Easy and Easy difficulty?
it means that the game will string combos together for you. very easy goes so far as to essentially move the character around for you as well during fights.

Monocle

The people complaining about the post-cutscene attacks ought to remember that one of Bayonetta's main features was specifically designed for you to turn unfavorable situations to advantageous ones: Witch Time. If you stay on your toes, ambushes become opportunities to deliver free combos right at the beginning of battle. Even enemies that disable Witch Time can still be punished with the rosary accessory.

Aske said:
[snip]
But in the next next evolution of action games, Kamiya needs to axe the QTEs, or at least limit them to things that the protagonist him/herself might actually screw up. Keep them out of the cutscenes.
You're making too big of a deal out of this. Cutscene QTEs are rare outside of boss fights, and their locations and inputs remain consistent, so no one should have trouble remembering what to do after they've experienced each instance a few times. I haven't even touched Infinite Climax mode, yet I've already got all the QTEs down. Experience significantly mellows the surprise factor.

Danj

It's official, I am the king of suck. Despite being on Easy Automatic difficulty I still managed to get stuck, I can't get past
the bit in Chapter III just after you use the hourglass, where the next bridge splits into 3 sections. I can clear the first two but I always end up falling in the lava just before the last one.
Anyone got any hints? GameFAQs is no help.

NIN90

Danj said:
It's official, I am the king of suck. Despite being on Easy Automatic difficulty I still managed to get stuck, I can't get past
the bit in Chapter III just after you use the hourglass, where the next bridge splits into 3 sections. I can clear the first two but I always end up falling in the lava just before the last one.
Anyone got any hints? GameFAQs is no help.

Just wait on the very last section of the bridge. A QTE will appear.

Monocle said:
You're making too big of a deal out of this. Cutscene QTEs are rare outside of boss fights, and their locations and inputs remain consistent, so no one should have trouble remembering what to do after they've experienced each instance a few times. I haven't even touched Infinite Climax mode, yet I've already got all the QTEs down. Experience significantly mellows the surprise factor.

I was waiting the entire match for God of War level of QTEs and I never saw them.. I honestly don't know what the big fuss is. They were all pretty basic.

Korey

The only QTE I consistently had problems with were the "jump" ones where you had to move a certain direction before pressing jump. I must be missing something, is there any indication in the game which direction you should be moving towards?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Korey said:
The only QTE I consistently had problems with were the "jump" ones where you had to move a certain direction before pressing jump. I must be missing something, is there any indication in the game which direction you should be moving towards?
It's always up and A, except for one instance in Chapter 15. press the stick and button at the same time.

Danj

NIN90 said:
Just wait on the very last section of the bridge. A QTE will appear.

I don't seem to be getting to the last section of bridge then. I tried waiting on the furthest section I can get to but I just fall in the lava. No amount of jumping or trying to do that butterfly thingy seems to allow me to get on to the next section. What am I doing wrong?

Korey

Rez said:
It's always up and A, except for one instance in Chapter 15. press the stick and button at the same time.
Not those. The ones where she jumps from platform to platform a couple of times, but then stops and you have to move a little for the "A" cue to pop up.

V_Arnold

Okay, how can I get the "hidden" medals in, for example, the Angel's Metropolis level?

I was trying to get pure platinum on normal, and while I keep messing up one of the seven fights by literally just ONE scratch, but anyway: after the level is over, at the summary, there is two "medals" missing. I did a quite "search and try to destory all" scan of the whole level, but I could see nothing which led to one more fight and no portal to the Battle Arena stuff either (do not know the exact name).

Anyone knows what to do in this case? Or are they plus token slots reserved for Very Hard setting or somethin'?

Dreavus

Whoa, just ran into a glitch when fighting
Justia (Iustia? I don't know what it's name is) on side of the building. I couldn't for the life of me jump on the tentacle when he was dizzy, I'd just fall/walk right through it. I thought I was doing something wrong, but nothing else worked, he kept "respawning" after being left alone too long so the fight was endless
I eventually died, and reloading the level seemed to fix it, but damn I was fighting that guy for a long time. He even wasted my insta-revive item =(

so I finally got to play this game last night. I thought there was no way this game was as good as some of you were making it out to be. I was wrong. My god was I wrong.

V_Arnold said:
Okay, how can I get the "hidden" medals in, for example, the Angel's Metropolis level?

I was trying to get pure platinum on normal, and while I keep messing up one of the seven fights by literally just ONE scratch, but anyway: after the level is over, at the summary, there is two "medals" missing. I did a quite "search and try to destory all" scan of the whole level, but I could see nothing which led to one more fight and no portal to the Battle Arena stuff either (do not know the exact name).

Anyone knows what to do in this case? Or are they plus token slots reserved for Very Hard setting or somethin'?
They are the Alfheims.

Bernbaum

So I got my arse kicked by Jeane for the last hour and a half and am about to put my control through the fucking TV.

I'm also learning this has a shit-horrible system for skipping cutscenes and there's no way to save mid-chapter.

Seriously the clawed dudes in pairs(or triplets) aren't a big problem even when witch-time isn't available.

It's all about the parry. You can parry in the middle of practically anything and the window is so large all that really matters is that you're pressing in the right direction. From there you can easily focus on one dude since as long as you're parrying they can't do anything. That means a ton of magic for TAs and so on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
V_Arnold said:

after you activate the elevator (after the water running bit right at the beginning), run back as far as you can go. An Alfeim will have appeared.

After you beat the Beloved with a Climax Attack in the middle of the level, head back as far as you go and more enemies will spawn there.

hope this helps

Peff

Bernbaum said:
I'm also learning this has a shit-horrible system for skipping cutscenes and there's no way to save mid-chapter.

Right Trigger (R2) plus Back (Select). Also, just turn the console off. You'll restart at the latest checkpoint.

Bernbaum

Peff said:
Right Trigger (L2) plus Back (Select). Also, just turn the console off. You'll restart at the latest checkpoint.
Alright. I got to a death screen and just chose exit. When I restarted my save, it dropped me right at the start of the chapter.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Peff said:
Right Trigger (L2) plus Back (Select). Also, just turn the console off. You'll restart at the latest checkpoint.
just to add to this: make sure you choose continue, not load game.

Bernbaum said:
Alright. I got to a death screen and just chose exit. When I restarted my save, it dropped me right at the start of the chapter.
when you say no on the game over screen, you're essentially saying "I give up, I want to start over so I can try for better medals!", so the game dumps you at the beginning.

Zeliard

Aske said:
The thing that really irritates me about the cutscene QTEs in this game is that you sweat your way through a challenging fight in which failure and death feel realistic, and then right as you're about to deliver the coup de grâce or deal with a simple environmental obsticle - which should be a fucking breeze for a crack shot with catlike reflexes like Bayonetta - you fluff the whole battle because you suddenly have to hit a button with no warning. Fine to make cut scenes interactive if the task is impossible to fail; even fine to add challenging QTEs to the combat which would make sense if Bayonetta herself screwed them up. But it shatters the player's connection to the protagonist if she misses an incredibly easy shot or jump simply because the player isn't psychic. Cutscenes should feel like rewards for a job well done. They shouldn't feel more frustrating that the toughest fights.

God of War's QTEs were much more fair and sensible than these, as were RE4's; in fact I found the GoW gorgon fleece-parry and creature execution QTEs actively rewarding and fun. It's a real shame that Kamiya tainted an otherwise perfect action game with utterly redundant QTEs and failed to get the balance of fairness and believability right - especially after knocking the far more complex combat mechanics out of the park.

I feel I have to restate that I absolutely love Bayonetta, and the game more that delivered on all its promises. My expectations were high, and the game exceeded them. This is my only real beef. I can deal with the Space Harrier sequence, and I genuinely loved the Outrun bits. But in the next next evolution of action games, Kamiya needs to axe the QTEs, or at least limit them to things that the protagonist him/herself might actually screw up. Keep them out of the cutscenes.

I agree completely with this. My biggest beef with the game as well.

The fact that QTE deaths also ruin your chapter end score, despite how well you may have done in the actual verses (and boss fights), basically adds insult to injury. It's also incredibly anti-climactic to have just finished off some enormous boss in beautiful fashion only to then die because of some dogshit QTE that comes out of nowhere. Such a terrible gaming design decision.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
just to add to this: make sure you choose continue, not load game.

when you say no on the game over screen, you're essentially saying "I give up, I want to start over so I can try for better medals!", so the game dumps you at the beginning.
Do I still keep my medals? I got a few platinums against Grace and Glory.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
Do I still keep my medals? I got a few platinums against Grace and Glory.
if you just turned off your console, or returned to the title screen, then yeah, but if you choose 'no' on the game over screen, chose 'load game' instead of 'continue', or returned to the chapter select screen, then they won't be saved. Medals are saved when you finish a chapter as part of your chapter-end results.

Top Bottom