• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Peff

Bernbaum said:
Do I still keep my medals? I got a few platinums against Grace and Glory.

Yep, it's a good trick for Platinum runs.

EDIT: That wasn't nice :lol

if you just turned off your console, or returned to the title screen, then yeah, but if you choose 'no' on the game over screen, chose 'load game' instead of 'continue', or returned to the chapter select screen, then they won't be saved. Medals are saved when you finish a chapter as part of your chapter-end results.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
if you just turned off your console, or returned to the title screen, then yeah, but if you choose 'no' on the game over screen, chose 'load game' instead of 'continue', or returned to the chapter select screen, then they won't be saved. Medals are saved when you finish a chapter as part of your chapter-end results.
Fuck.

While I'm on it, any tips for taking out Jean? I'm dodging her fine, but her witch-hair attack thingies are whats chewing down my health.

Despite my enjoyment, I might be just plain shit at this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
Fuck.

While I'm on it, any tips for taking out Jean? I'm dodging her fine, but her witch-hair attack thingies are whats chewing down my health.

Despite my enjoyment, I might be just plain shit at this game.
where are you fighting her at the moment?

generally, dodge a WHOLE lot. if you're having heaps of trouble, attack really conservatively, and then wail on her whenever you trigger witch time. I used this method on my Normal playthrough.

Currently, and keep in mind I've played a whole lot and am currently working my way through the hardest difficulty, my strategy involves a whole lot of dodge offsetting, which is kind of hard to do without some practise. I'd just stick to the above method.

Danj

OK I found a video walkthrough on Youtube of the problem I am having, at 4:42 in this video, it looks like the guy playing there solved the problem I'm having by transforming into a panther. Now I checked the game manual, and I checked GameFAQs, but it doesn't say how you do that, so how do I do that?

Bernbaum

Floating bits of rock following the cutscene with the big dude with metallic tentacle fingers. I can get her to the final stage, but her witch attacks come quickly and cheaply.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Danj said:
OK I found a video walkthrough on Youtube of the problem I am having, at 4:42 in this video, it looks like the guy playing there solved the problem I'm having by transforming into a panther. Now I checked the game manual, and I checked GameFAQs, but it doesn't say how you do that, so how do I do that?
you can't yet, and won't be able to for a while yet. you just need to run along it at normal speed, maybe jumping if needed, then waiting on the last section (next to the wall) of it until the "JUMP (A)" prompt appears.

Bernbaum said:
Floating bits of rock following the cutscene with the big dude with metallic tentacle fingers. I can get her to the final stage, but her witch attacks come quickly and cheaply.
ah, I know where you mean. you just need to dodge efficiently. I'd recommend using the sword, which you should have at this point.

when you finish this chapter, a move will become available in the shop called 'the bat within'. buy it asap, as it will effectively extend your dodge time. I don't really have any other tips, unfortunately. Just remain calm/patient, and don't try and go for big combos unless in witch-time.

Danj

Rez said:
you can't yet, and won't be able to for a while yet. you just need to run along it at normal speed, maybe jumping if needed, then waiting on the last section (next to the wall) of it until the "JUMP (A)" prompt appears.

There must be some trick to it though, I just can't make the last jump, I always fall short, because somehow I can't run fast enough to get to the end and be able to jump in time.

NIN90

Danj said:

Did you buy the Air Dodge technique? It may help you with that section.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Danj said:
There must be some trick to it though, I just can't make the last jump, I always fall short, because somehow I can't run fast enough to get to the end and be able to jump in time.
try this, 4:45

Zeliard

Whoompthereitis said:
I don't even mind the repeating bosses. The best part about fighting the bosses in this game is that it doesn't feel like pattern memorization. You can play them by feel, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean, and it is damn true. Some boss-type creatures do have their same essential attack and defense patterns, like big ol' Cherub Face with his red-spot weakness on his back, but the game mixes things beautifully when it comes to the actual encounters by often changing up enemy or level configurations. It forces you to adapt to each encounter differently, especially when previous boss-like enemies start showing up in pairs as regular enemies.

Plus, the freeform combat is so varied and flows so well that you never really feel like you're attacking enemies in the same way every time (unless you're doing so purposefully).

The Jeanne fights are probably the epitome of this, due to the nature of her fighting style (in how it's almost like a mirror match with Bayonetta). The fights in the DMC and Ninja Gaiden series when you're up against a similarly powerful human (or humanoid) opponent as yourself have also always been the best ones.

Ephemeris

NIN90 said:
Did you buy the Air Dodge technique? It may help you with that section.
I'm at chapter 8 in normal and .. I've never bought any moves >_<

wtf is wrong with me. :lol Air dodge would have been a HP-saver in some of my fights. In fact I only just started using the weapons I unlocked via the LP's.:lol .. :(

Zeliard

Ephemeris said:
I'm at chapter 8 in normal and .. I've never bought any moves >_<

wtf is wrong with me. :lol Air dodge would have been a HP-saver in some of my fights. In fact I only just started using the weapons I unlocked via the LP's.:lol .. :(

Air Dodge is a must. I also love the breakdance move, if nothing else but to make it quicker to break containers around you. Plus it never gets visually old.

The <>P and <>K moves are also great. Forget what they're called.

I wish Alfies were recorded on their own screen of your progress. I finished a few on my first run through so obviously don't want to repeat them when found again but that way gaps appear on my medal screen and thus its hard to tell what Chapters I've fully scoured.

Also made the mistake of trying to do Alfheims while in Hard mode, not realising they get upgraded as well :lol so back to Normal Mode for these.

Just beat
Jeanne for the last time
and the game has just been plain awesome, although I seriously suck at chap 8 and 14 got stuck there doing a few tries and almost called it a day. <_<;; Going to continue after a while and hopefully finish the rest for my 1st run.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I just got to chapter 16. 15 was probably my favorite yet, but the on rails shooting sequence of 14 (I think) was the least enjoyable part for me. Like the motorcycle part, it wasn't bad but it was a little underwhelming, probably due to the limited budget they had for the game. Also, the screen spinning whenever I dodged made me a little dizzy.
Fuckin great game, though, as soon as I finish I'm starting over from the beginning, I have so much to unlock.

Minamu

Woo beat the game last night. 12,5 hours. The story makes my head hurt :lol end-game spoilers!
So Bayonetta & Cereza are the same person, except in different time periods? Then why is the child running around Vigrid all by herself? The 3D model viewer you unlock after beating the game calls the flashback outfits "old" for both Bayonetta & Jeanne, yet they are from the past. Shouldn't they be called "young" then? I don't get it :'( This is some serious time paradox Star Trek shit :lol

Also, do I need to find every verse to get platinum? Having to redo every Alfheim just because you didn't get platinum will kill any chance of me getting all platinums...

Oh, and what if I get hurt but taunt my hp back up to maximum, would it count as damage taken or not?

I'm just past level 10 on hard and am wondering if there's a efficient way to take out the black and gold Grace/Glory? I've not got a huge problem with them, is just the way I deal with them makes me look like a total coward.

As for people having huge issues with the regulars, I never saw the battles as that momentous. Just witch time and combo the fire elemental first and then use it's weapon's button attack whilst in witch time to get a one hit KO on the thunder one.

I am up to the part on the
giant plane and I have to defeat Jeanne. She is a fucking pain in the arse. I can't defeat her. I dodge LOTS of the time but even witch time doesn't activate that much.
Any tips?

I really hope it doesn't get too difficult later on, I've never really played many games like this or Devil May Cry / God of War / Ninja Gaiden before. I'm not very good.

Also do you know what to spend your sonic rings on? I always spend it on the green health lolipops and the thing that regenerates your health when it runs out. I never have enough sonic rings. :(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ashbash159 said:
giant plane and I have to defeat Jeanne. She is a fucking pain in the arse. I can't defeat her. I dodge LOTS of the time but even witch time doesn't activate that much.
Any tips?

I really hope it doesn't get too difficult later on, I've never really played many games like this or Devil May Cry / God of War / Ninja Gaiden before. I'm not very good.

Also do you know what to spend your sonic rings on? I always spend it on the green health lolipops and the thing that regenerates your health when it runs out. I never have enough sonic rings. :(
Use the sword and poke her once or twice then retreat. You can only activate Witch Time when you dodge a wicked weave

Also, save your money for accessories and hearts/pearls simply because you won't have to rebuy them.

Zeliard

ashbash159 said:
Any tips?

Remember that you can go back and replay chapters as many times as you want for more halos if you feel that you're really stuck and want to try upgrading something.

Okayyyyy beat the game on Hard.
I honestly died more times to
Mercury
than quite a few of the real fights.

Anyway guess I'll do my speed run now. I equipped the accessory that does the special attack in lieu of witch-time to better prep for Infinite Climax but I can tell this won't be pretty.

Anyway one of the achievements/trophies mentions a ???? 20 enemies with ???? and it's called the "Ice Witch" I assume it has something to do with the skates but what move is it? Oh and is there a good FAQ for chest/Antonio note locations? I'm still missing some of those.

Archie said:
I'm on Chapter 8 of Infinite Climax and I still can't DO reliably. :'(
I really got the hang of it when I had to do that secret mission with the enemies that you have to kill with Weave attacks only. I find the most reliable way to do it is to always charge your attacks a little so that DO happens if you need to dodge

Minamu said:
Also, do I need to find every verse to get platinum? Having to redo every Alfheim just because you didn't get platinum will kill any chance of me getting all platinums...

Oh, and what if I get hurt but taunt my hp back up to maximum, would it count as damage taken or not?
Well for one thing, if you don't find all of the secret missions (or for that matter all of the verses), your chances on getting a platinum for that chapter decrease significantly.

For another, if you just want a platinum for the chapter, it's not necessary to get one on the secret missions, as long as your rank for the other verses in that chapter make up for it. I think I have a platinum on chapter 5, and I probably got a gold or silver in a few of the secret missions there.

Draft said:
No boss is as hard as Grace and Glory.
nah, they're not bad. Really fun actually. It's Gracious/Glorious that are the real bastards, since you can't activate WT against them

ElyrionX

Rez said:

I found this out through trial and error. The game really should explain things like that a lot more clearly.

I don't mind the bosses being a little bit easier than some of the really hard encounters. Thirty minutes of unceasing difficulty would really sour my attitude. I think the difficulty is pretty well and fairly structured, even though some of the FULL HEALTH DESTRUCTO enemy combos that bring you from 60 to Zero in two seconds are a bit cheap, but I figure as I get more Hearts that will become slightly less of a problem.

Also, naturally, one can get better at dodging them.

Raxus

Gracious and Glorious are the enemy equivalent of 'this is what very hard mode is like fuckers'. I agree they are fun to fight but they don't go down like almost every other enemy you fight, you have to mix up your weapons and air juggle.

TheCardPlayer said:
Hard mode is just murderous. DMC3's Dante Must Die was easy compared to this. Fuck, this game is so goddamn satisfying. There's nothing better than beating these damn levels. Grace and Glory or Joy fights on Hard, are the apex of the freaking genre. Holy shit.

You really think it's that hard? Grace and Glory are the only enemies that feel like they're from ninja gaiden, and I don't get the deal with the joy fights, they don't seem that aggressive to me.

Raxus

Joy's are only kind of annoying but as long as you avoid the daggers most of their moves are similar to a nerfed Jeanne.

I bought the move [Hold R2], but is anyone having trouble initiating moves like [Press O immediately after holding R2] after that? I can't seem to do the latter very well as it will go into the Hold R2 move.

And I'm now hating these silly Press [] buttons in cutscenes. Can someone tell me when I'm supposed to hit [] exactly because you have to be dead on it seems and I'm taking multiple deaths because I can't ever hit them right.

Draft

And now with the disappearing platforms?

This game has excellent combat, but FUCK there are some shitty segments.

Bayonetta: 8/10. Room for improvement.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Love Bayonetta, its residing almost 2 months permanently in my PS3.
Best thing since RE4 in terms of; cant think of any other game I want to play ALL the time.
And everytime you replay it, it just gets better and better.

Trying to fill up my trophy list now..there is one that just doesnt want to be unlocked.
And its frustrating cause it should be easy as hell.

its the "tread not so lightly" trophy. and i tried everyting.
first of all stayed in the Alfheim where youre supposed to be in the air for a minute.
I got the other trophy, higher and higher, I jumped on the angels, let myself drop from a very high place and killed them but nothing seems to unlock this one.

Im kinda out of ideas, as I tried everything I could and searched the boards.
What the hell am i doing wrong or are my trophies just fucked in some way?
Any help appreciated!

Draft

Red Blaster said:
Get the crow technique. Problem solved.
I have the crow technique. Problem not solved. Platforming still sucks. Just another weird, out of place segment in a game that's full of them.

Korey

LALILULELO said:
its the "tread not so lightly" trophy. and i tried everyting.
first of all stayed in the Alfheim where youre supposed to be in the air for a minute.
I got the other trophy, higher and higher, I jumped on the angels, let myself drop from a very high place and killed them but nothing seems to unlock this one.

Im kinda out of ideas, as I tried everything I could and searched the boards.
What the hell am i doing wrong or are my trophies just fucked in some way?
Any help appreciated!
Equip the
shotguns
on feet.

Draft said:
I have the crow technique. Problem not solved. Platforming still sucks. Just another weird, out of place segment in a game that's full of them.

ODog.gif

I got past that part without the crow technique, it's not that hard.

Top Bottom