• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

LaneDS

How'd this game perform sales wise in Japan? Was it considered a hit? I ask only because I want to see a sequel and hope it does well.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
LaneDS said:
How'd this game perform sales wise in Japan? Was it considered a hit? I ask only because I want to see a sequel and hope it does well.
I think it did 200k or something like that. I hope it does well but I'm prepared for bomba status. :mad:

Archie said:
I think it did 200k or something like that. I hope it does well but I'm prepared for bomba status. :mad:

Near 300k combining both platforms sales, and yeah, I fear the game could bomb in the west, but I hope it manages pull 200k this month in EEUU alone....

I love the fact that the Evil Rosary and Red Hot Shots don't work against the secret boss :lol

This guy is the only boss in the game worthy of the genre. He is the best thing in the whole fucking game. Oh my god I love this fight :lol

"This mode is a formal challenge to you from Platinum Games. Please rely on your strength and do your best."

Oh my god it even has the Sephiroth music

I did a sucessful taunt and restored about a 50th of my health then he hit me and took away 50% :lol

I won't be able to beat this guy without using counters more often.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Near 300k combining both platforms sales, and yeah, I fear the game could bomb in the west, but I hope it manages pull 200k this month in EEUU alone....

I predict Bayonetta to be a Borderlands level sleeper. Just a feeling. It was sold out at Best Buy when I tried to get it there.

TreIII

LaneDS said:
That seems pretty solid for Japan, but yeah I expect it to not do very well in other territories which is unfortunate.

I dunno. It may not exactly be lighting the charts, but I think this game may have what it takes to sell 100,000-200,000 units.

I mean, last night, my older sister told me that one of her old girlfriends is even playing this game and loving it. And before that time, she was nowhere near what could be considered a "gamer head", like her husband. :lol

If such stories like that are more common than we may think, there may be hope yet. And I've personally have turned on a couple more people to this game, especially my old "God Hand" crowd. :D

BenjaminBirdie said:
I predict Bayonetta to be a Borderlands level sleeper. Just a feeling. It was sold out at Best Buy when I tried to get it there.

The problem is the genre and the whole art/over the top package that may hurt it, I fear this when I heard that people where cancelling pre-orders after they saw the trailer reels in the retailers...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Relaxed Muscle said:
300k isn't bad. The game couldn't have cost THAT much to develop, so hopefully it is profitable and Kamiya gets to make another game!

SecretBonusPoint said:
Played today until my arms don't work anymore :lol Shit. Last time this happened it was with Godhand.
My right index finger hurts from constantly pressing RT.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Relaxed Muscle said:

Wha a freakin shame. This game has so much style and class. Especially compared to games like MW2, which is nothing more than another generic FPS to suit the millions of mindless masses IMO. Because of MW2 I had to wait for the holidays to be over. Now, not only does Bayonetta make up for the time not playing, but surpasses it. It was definately worth the wait.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
ah, I know where you mean. you just need to dodge efficiently. I'd recommend using the sword, which you should have at this point.

when you finish this chapter, a move will become available in the shop called 'the bat within'. buy it asap, as it will effectively extend your dodge time. I don't really have any other tips, unfortunately. Just remain calm/patient, and don't try and go for big combos unless in witch-time.
I equipped the sword. Destroyed her no worries.

What are other must-buy accessories?

VegaShinra said:
That Chapter, while fun, was too long for me.
Yeah, agreed it wasn't the game's strongest point, but the reason I mentioned that I actually liked it was because a bunch of pages back I was talking about how much I HATED chapter 8, and other people said that I wouldn't like 14. But 14 actually had a fun factor that the
motorcycle
part severely lacked.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Anyone know what percentage of health lost bat form gives you back?
all of it. it negates damage entirely.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
I equipped the sword. Destroyed her no worries.

What are other must-buy accessories?
there aren't any that are must buys other than the counter one, really. you're better off buying all the techniques possible first.

Nemesis_

Rez said:
there aren't any that are must buys other than the counter one, really. you're better off buying all the techniques possible first.

The Rosary will be invaluable for Unlimited Climax mode. It replaces Witch Time with damage. So if Witch Time isn't there in the first place, you might as well use the Rosary.

The Gaze of Despair is great for racking up Halo legitimately.

Bernbaum said:
So will all my accessories and upgrades carry over to hard mode?

Yes, you can start hard mode with whatever you bought in first run. You also have some of the morphing
panther
thing, which makes some of the earlier chase sections very easy.

Start by buying all of the techniques and then when you get to play Angel Attack, always convert the points into halos. An exception can be made for the Moon Pearl item that you can get from that minigame, because the extra magic helps with the later chapters (and on some secret missions).

Unless you don't care about your score/getting Platinums, you wont be using items at all anyway. If you do need items (be it for that achievement or because you get hit too much) then just use the ingredients to make the items instead of buying them.

Once you get all of the techniques, focus on buying Witch Hearts and Moon Pearls or save up for the accessory of your choice.

Up to Chapter 6 :).
I'm finding it quite tougher now... haven't had halos to buy any accessories, it all goes towards health items and the occasional technique.

Zeouterlimits said:
Up to Chapter 6 :).
I'm finding it quite tougher now... haven't had halos to buy any accessories, it all goes towards health items and the occasional technique.

Early in the game it is a waste of halos to buy healing items. Just take the stone ranking and use continues. You can always revisit chapters to get better rankings. Plus when you redo levels you will pick up a lot of the item ingredients which will allow you to make your own items.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just bet Non-Stop Climax mode in 3 hours and 4 minutes.

All I need to do is wipe off 4 minutes and I don't need to ruin my Normal awards. Yay!

the_prime_mover said:
Early in the game it is a waste of halos to buy healing items. Just take the stone ranking and use continues. You can always revisit chapters to get better rankings. Plus when you redo levels you will pick up a lot of the item ingredients which will allow you to make your own items.
Will do, thank you :)

Unless I’m missing something, what were they thinking when making you decide if you want to overwrite your best times over your best medals or your best medals over your best times?

Zeliard

Tricky I Shadow said:
Unless I’m missing something, what were they thinking when making you decide if you want to overwrite your best times over your best medals or your best medals over your best times?

That the ultimate goal is to get the best times and the best medals simultaneously. I've had to make some tough decisions there as well. :lol

Spirit of Jazz said:
Is there any way of checking which Alfheim you haven't got? I'm pretty sure I've got the first 12 however I only just for the achievement for getting half of them. Am I going to need to go back to every point to find which one I missed? (I'm assuming I lost one due to it not saving then I quit the chapter)

Anyone? I cant do much but halofarm until I find out :(

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I absolutely cannot stop playing this game, I have sunk 20 hours (would be more if I did not have a really important project due in soon) into this game since I bought it Friday, and I am nowhere near bored with it.I knew this was going to be my GOTY 2010, but I had no idea it would be this fun. :D

So what is everyone's favourite weapon sets?

my mains are:
A) Shuraba(Near enough always use this weapon) + Durga
B) Whip + Odette
B2) Whip + Kilgor

I bought the Counter accessory really early on but I always forget to use it as I am always dodging and setting off WT instead, I assume I will have to learn how to master it soon enough for my IC play through.

Pimpbaa

BenjaminBirdie said:

Borederlands probably sold well because of the online co-op.

Tricky I Shadow said:

Zeliard said:
That the ultimate goal is to get the best times and the best medals simultaneously. I've had to make some tough decisions there as well. :lol

I'm not too sure yet if I really like that though......I mean it’s not really that big of a deal but why not make the best times and best medals separate? Meh, all well. It's only a minor annoyance.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tricky I Shadow said:
I'm not too sure yet if I really like that though......I mean it’s not really that big of a deal but why not make the best times and best medals separate? Meh, all well. It's only a minor annoyance.

It almost seems like it DOES track like that, atleast on leaderboards. I'm not sure why it needs to overwrite it for you though.

Nemesis_

Bernbaum said:
My local EB was almost sold out of the 360 version. I got their last copy on Friday.

Not really good evidence, most stores didn't receive many copies at all, hence why they were sold out. >_>

Ridley327

Yeah, I was about to say that our Best Buy only got in a dozen copies of the 360 version initially and we got restocked with eight more, despite it not selling out at that point. I think that Sega has realistic expectations for the title, especially since the mainstream appeal of the title is next-to-nil.

Bernbaum

Nemesis556 said:
Not really good evidence, most stores didn't receive many copies at all, hence why they were sold out. >_>
Whoops, actually got mine from GAME. But still, take it for what it's worth.

LiK

replaying in Hard, you guys ain't kidding, it's tough!

not only do the enemies attack more but they actually changed the enemies around so the guys you fought later int he game on Normal will appear right at the beginning, lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:
On Easy Mode. >.>
heh, I wanted to get the two platinums on chapter 14 as easily as possible. it was the only one I had left after I finished my non-stop climax mode playthrough, give ma a break. :lol

conman

LiK said:
replaying in Hard, you guys ain't kidding, it's tough!

not only do the enemies attack more but they actually changed the enemies around so the guys you fought later int he game on Normal will appear right at the beginning, lol
Worked that way in NG, too.

Top Bottom