• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
nilbog21 said:
Man, I want this game so fucking bad, but $60.... Does anyone regret buying it? How is the replayability?

Unhealthily replayable. No singleplayer game has hooked me this hard in terms of replay value since RE4. There's so much to unlock, the combat system gets deeper and more enjoyable as you put in more time, upping the difficulty changes way more than just the damage and health of enemies, and the core gameplay doesn't feel repetitive. Just don't stop after you complete a normal run through, since you can beat it without understanding the combat system very well. The game is good/great on normal, but god-tier on hard and up. Well worth $60.

Seriously. I was only able to play it for about an hour but I was already praying for a sequel. Pipomantis did a great review on our site for it that sold me so well I almost bought another one. I need to seriously put some stuff on hold to get into this. It's killing me.

Anybody else get any weird artifacting during the cutscenes though (yes, I watch them, and they're awesome)? It's sort of like pixelation I guess, but I only notice it during the videos. Guess because there isn't so much moving around. My 360 did red ring earlier this week, so hopefully it's not that :-/.

Phaethon0017 said:
Seriously. I was only able to play it for about an hour but I was already praying for a sequel. Pipomantis did a great review on our site for it that sold me so well I almost bought another one. I need to seriously put some stuff on hold to get into this. It's killing me.

Anybody else get any weird artifacting during the cutscenes though (yes, I watch them, and they're awesome)? It's sort of like pixelation I guess, but I only notice it during the videos. Guess because there isn't so much moving around. My 360 did red ring earlier this week, so hopefully it's not that :-/.

Many of the cutscenes have an intentional film grain effect. I don't think it's your machine.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
nilbog21 said:
Where is this "selected games" list? I can't find it on GS

Give the website awhile to update. It was in the marketing update I did today which goes into effect on 1/11/10.

Not sure if this is true....but a friend just told me that when watching cut-scenes and Bayonetta is sucking a lollypop, if you hold down the button that matches the colour of the lollypop you get an item.

For example, if it's a green lollypop hold down the ‘A’ button and you’ll get some health. I gotta say that's so awesome if it's true. The amount of love poured into this game is almost overwhelming! <3

kiryogi

Banned
nilbog21 said:
Man, I want this game so fucking bad, but $60.... Does anyone regret buying it? How is the replayability?

None what so ever. It's a well spent 60 to the beginning of my 2010 gaming.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, this game is completely nuts and just pure fun.

It's been out here in Japan for a while and even though I enjoyed the demo a lot I never ended up buying the final game due to being busy with other titles. The positive impressions and reviews that have been surfacing with the game's western release rekindled my interest in the title and I decided to pick it up for the 360 alongside Darksiders while I was down in Akihabara today.

Madness aside, the combat in this game is simply amazing. I am not very good as Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, but I am just having a blast executing combos and moves in Bayonetta. I absolutely love timing my dodge maneuver and going into witch time while pulling off a stream of crazy combos. It seems like there is a lot of depth to this combat system and I doubt I have even scratched the surface. I think I'm going to play through Darksiders before really getting into this, but I certainly am glad I decided to pick it up today and look forward to playing the rest of the game.

The game even game with a soundtrack in its own neat little case!

Bodom78

I have just wrapped up Darksiders which was a great adventure and am now moving onto Bayonetta.

Only up to the third chapter but I am floored at how smooth the combat is and how bad-ass it makes you feel when you totally destroy a group of enemies.

In the beginning I was having trouble keeping track of the main character in the mayhem but that soon wears off as you adjust to focusing on whats required and becoming aware of the enemy attack queues.

The old man walked by to see what all the noise was and sat down for an hour watching me play, he had no idea what was going on but he said he enjoyed watching it :D

LiK

Augemitbutter said:
yea, it seems like PS3 has longer loading, worse framerate.

360 version has worse tearing and sound, no DTS track.

i only saw tearing on the the 360 in two areas in the towns without action. i didn't notice them during anywhere else. also, the 360 audio sounds great to me. the music and sound effects had my sub thumpin'. i have the PS3 version (Climax edition) incoming so i'll be one of the few guys here who can actually compare the game. but judging from the comparison videos online, i'm looking forward to some major disappointment.

Shito

Tricky I Shadow said:
Not sure if this is true....but a friend just told me that when watching cut-scenes and Bayonetta is sucking a lollypop, if you hold down the button that matches the colour of the lollypop you get an item.

For example, if it's a green lollypop hold down the ‘A’ button and you’ll get some health. I gotta say that's so awesome if it's true. The amount of love poured into this game is almost overwhelming! <3
Heard something like that too, but didn't take the time to test it yet.
What I heard was that you could choose any of the lollipops via the face buttons, but you needed to press the button *before* the cutscene where she eats one starts. Found it quite strange, to be honest, but the colors of the 360 pad buttons matching the ones of the lollipops hints that this could be legit.
Someone needs to test it and find exactly how to do it!

Monocle

nilbog21 said:
If any game in this generation is worth full price, it's Bayonetta. So much content. So much replayability. It's one in a million.

I just want to say one of the most defining merits of this game for me is that it is fun.

Really, not since Resident Evil 4 do I giggle with excitement like a little kid over a video game. Kamiya seems to understand and appreciate why we enjoy playing video games, and he gives us as much from his game as possible. References, almost endless possibilities of character changes and controls, unlockables, boss fights, and so on.

This game, like RE4, is literally filled with moments of "omg", "wtf", "whoa!" There have been plenty of good and awesome games, but few that really tailors to the gamers as much as Bayonetta.

Finished it today. About 11hours on normal.

WTF did I just play??

The story had me confused from the very start. If someone could explain the ENTIRE thing for me that would be great.

Other than that game is awesome. Thumb is sore from mashing those torture attacks.

I even enjoyed the music. :D

Feels like the game was made by a bunch of males who didnt give a shit about sales, but rather a game that they thought would be awesome. Thumbs up on that shit.

Keyser Soze said:
Nope, I though this, but noticed I was only cutting seconds of my time when I skipped them, and not the minutes I was expecting :/
Cool. Well, I'm going to watch them again on my 2nd play-through - because I still can't tell whether or not this game was supposed to have a discernible plot. I had no idea what the fuck was going on 90% of the time. Especially when Balder is talking about all of that bullshit before you fight him. I mean, really, the only thing I got out of that was the fact that
Cereza is the child version of Bayonetta
. But I figured this out shortly after Cereza was introduced because Bayonetta was
sealed for 20 years

Yeah. I know it's an action game. The story doesn't really matter. But I'd at least like to know why I'm doing what I'm doing. MadWorld had a pretty awesome plot thanks to Yasumi Matsuno. It would have been even more awesome if he was on board for this game. Oh well.

Since I have finished the game, I'll lay down my negatives about it:

- Large bosses aren't very interesting nor challenging. (But they do look cool.)
- I did not find the game as challenging as Devil May Cry 1/3, God Hand, or Ninja Gaiden on their Normal modes. Maybe I'm just hardened on these types of games.
- Tearing and framerate suck.
- Glitchy and somewhat pointless mini-games. (I appreciate the homage they provide, but I'm not going to enjoy going through them in consecutive play-throughs.)
- Story is... all over the fucking place?

Other than those things, the game is fantastic. I think it's Kamiya's second best game. (Okami being the first.)

LiK

BeautifulMemory said:
I just want to say one of the most defining merits of this game for me is that it is fun.

Really, not since Resident Evil 4 do I giggle with excitement like a little kid over a video game. Kamiya seems to understand and appreciate why we enjoy playing video games, and he gives us as much from his game as possible. References, almost endless possibilities of character changes and controls, unlockables, boss fights, and so on.

This game, like RE4, is literally filled with moments of "omg", "wtf", "whoa!" There have been plenty of good and awesome games, but few that really tailors to the gamers as much as Bayonetta.

indeed, the game is simply fun. who cares if the story makes sense or not? i liked that the game never took itself too seriously like most games these days. all the Capcom references should indicate that Kamiya is just having fun with the players.

when i hear a 20+ yo male journalist say this game is offensive or exploitative, i can only :lol

LiK said:
when i hear a 20+ yo male journalist say this game is offensive or exploitative, i can only :lol
No kidding.

Another thing I like about this game is that, when you pause the game - the game REALLY pauses. The timer doesn't keep going.

Shito

- Tearing and framerate suck.
A friend just told me that A LOT of his tearing and framerate problems came from the HDD install, so all of you 360 owners that are playing it installed, it might worth checking this fact, as I had only a few tearing problems here and there playing from the disc, but nothing major.

Shito said:
A friend just told me that A LOT of his tearing and framerate problems came from the HDD install, so all of you 360 owners that are playing it installed, it might worth checking this fact, as I had only a few tearing problems here and there playing from the disc, but nothing major.
I'll give this a shot when I get home. Not holding my breath, though.

LiK

Shito said:

really? i have it installed and didn't notice too much tearing. and i didn't notice too many framerate problems either. this might be subjective

Rez said:
Ryan Davis over at Giant Bomb posted a pretty awesome review of the game.

yea, 4 stars for 360, and 3 stars for PS3. glad he liked the game overall.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that, and his review was actually a really good read. the 1up review and the team xbox review bored me to tears.

y2dvd

My brother can't stop raving about this game and says it's better than God of War 1 & 2. From what I've seen, the cutscenes are cheesy as hell, but Bayonetta is hella fine and it looks fun
and I like the Okami reference!

Bernbaum

The section in chapter VIII where you collect the five floating gold items in chests whilst a floating golden ball with a stun effect slams down intermittently is one of the most horribly un-fun things I’ve ever suffered through in a game.

What a complete headache.

There is a big target on the floor showing you when/where the Golem will drop, and by this stage in the game you can backflip/turn into a cat and speed around it/loads of shit to avoid it :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
The section in chapter VIII where you collect the five floating gold items in chests whilst a floating golden ball with a stun effect slams down intermittently is one of the most horribly un-fun things I’ve ever suffered through in a game.

I think you might be kind of bad at this game. ;)

but seriously, if the difficulty is annoying you, turn it down to easy. don't punish yourself. you can unequip the accessory that automatically plays the game for you, so you can still play it with full-control, just less punishing health loss.

forgrim

Bernbaum said:

Fight the mobs underneath the terrace/building, that way you don't have to deal with the ball drop of doom. Kill, then go loot another chest, and repeat til its over.

And yes, i found this out during a hard mode run when glorious' pops out of the chests. fighting in the open with glorious and that stupid ball dropping on my head was headache inducing til i figured out to fight under cover.

Bernbaum

Difficulty is fine. I'm clearing large sections of the game with little to no sweat. It's sections like the one mentioned that lack a sense of flow and rhythm like the majority of the rest of the game that breaks up the whole experience for me.

My impression is that each confrontation needs to be learned, and that a player's first playthrough is - by design - not going to be their best or most enjoyable.

123rl

The fight at the end of Chapter 14 - holy shit it was so much fun! :D

I wish the game was a bit more forgiving in regards to health but I absolutely love everything about the game. DMC3 has finally been beaten and I never expected that to happen

Kusagari

123rl said:
The fight at the end of Chapter 14 - holy shit it was so much fun! :D

I wish the game was a bit more forgiving in regards to health but I absolutely love everything about the game. DMC3 has finally been beaten and I never expected that to happen

Ehh, the game is incredibly forgiving in letting you get healing items. You can always buy up to at least 3 and you'll find tons of materials to make more + can buy some at the end in Angel Attack. It's not like Ninja Gaiden where it punishes you for actually having the audacity to buy healing items.

Zeliard

Kusagari said:
Ehh, the game is incredibly forgiving in letting you get healing items. You can always buy up to at least 3 and you'll find tons of materials to make more + can buy some at the end in Angel Attack. It's not like Ninja Gaiden where it punishes you for actually having the audacity to buy healing items.

It doesn't punish you for buying those items, but it does punish you for using them, in terms of the end score/medal and bonus halo rewards and such. Likewise, it rewards you further for not using any item in a given chapter.

bounchfx

Bernbaum said:

are you playing on hard?

I took my time between each section and the ball didn't even make a real attempt to hit me. just stay near the walls, and if you're in trouble spam RT.

however if you're having trouble with THIS part you might wanna adjust your difficulty later on..

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Previously in this thread I made a comment about me not liking the music or the characters ( based of the demo )....

Well, since the day I bought it jan 8th I've been playing it nonstop and just have to say : I take everything back.

I know alot of people say stuff like this all the time....but

Bayonetta is my favorite game of all time, pushing NGB down from the no 1 spot.

I have to say it again, my GOTF.

Bayonetta, I love you.

Dazzyman

patrickthehedgehog said:
I really hope this game is selling well. It really deserves it!

Should do Ive caved and now bought it 3 fecking times :lol JPN 360 and reordered it on PAL 360 Thursday. When it didnt arrive Friday I thought Id buy it on way home from cinema for PS3.

Yep I like it :D

For peeps having problems Id reccomend first playthru just finishing it so you get enough halos and have the weapons. Once you buy a descent bracelet and have some of the lovely goodies then its easier on playthru 2. Its pretty much designed to go back to it over and over again.

If you play it to beat it it aint that hard anyway as you just die and continue that bit with full health. You do have to watch potions cas if you use em you dont get em back when you die and restart that bit so Id be more inclined to create saves incase. I got mostly stone ones on my first playthru with about 25 plats (took me ages to get used to witch time with certain mobs). I only found out that their was such a thing as dodge offset yesterday reading the engrish manual!

Daigoro

i just bought the shit out of this game.

i got home from work, rushed to find those last few claptraps on Borderlands, and brought it to Gamestop (the last achievement on the main game that was left undone since i abandoned the game weeks ago). got it for about $20 +tax.

time to rock.

about unlocking
jeanne. well, i've finally unlocked her, but now i see you can't play her until you start a seperate file. wtf man? i was looking forward rocking with her and now this.....

Wizman23

Banned
So any tips on getting awesome combo scores or is it as simple as spamming the X button to shoot your pistols when you aren't in attack mode and waiting for a dodge?

ElyrionX

I just want to say that this game is awesome and I hope it doesn't bomb though I think it probably will. And at Chapter 5 on my first playthrough, I have already enjoyed it so much more than DMC1, DMC3, DMC4, NG1 and NG2. Too bad the cutscenes are nowhere near as good as in DMC3 or DMC4.

Top Bottom