• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

LiK

Rez said:
heh, I wanted to get the two platinums on chapter 14 as easily as possible. it was the only one I had left after I finished my non-stop climax mode playthrough, give ma a break. :lol

nice job, i need to farm up some halos to get some accessories that i want.

Nemesis_

Rez said:
heh, I wanted to get the two platinums on chapter 14 as easily as possible. it was the only one I had left after I finished my non-stop climax mode playthrough, give ma a break. :lol
NEVAR!

Also, if anyone else didn't realise this, Hold down RB with Shuraba equipped. Anyone got any idea when this move can connect? It's impossibly slow to pull off succesfully. >_>

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How does easy even affect chapter 14? Less aggressive enemies?

Nemesis556 said:
NEVAR!

Also, if anyone else didn't realise this, Hold down RB with Shuraba equipped. Anyone got any idea when this move can connect? It's impossibly slow to pull off succesfully. >_>

I did it once in the demo. After you fight the first Beloved, you can go back to where the elevator rises to start another verse, but they all spawn on the other end of the hall. You have time to charge up and unleash, but if you're even a little bit off it'll completely miss. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:

I did it once in the demo. After you fight the first Beloved, you can go back to where the elevator rises to start another verse, but they all spawn on the other end of the hall. You have time to charge up and unleash, but if you're even a little bit off it'll completely miss. :lol
yeah, enemies barely counter-attack.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Papercuts said:

The enemies take more damage.

Nemesis556 said:
NEVAR!

if you dizzy an enemy, you have enough time to use the full charge version

the half charge version can probably work on the grunts that don't attack as agressively

Nemesis_

This game can be a bit annoying in terms of ranking. I get platinum in my time and combo ratings but have a hard time getting by without ANY damage. Then I get raped totally in one battle and always get a Stone award. Fucking shit. >_>

But yeah, awesome game. :lol

Daigoro

arg. im trying real hard to avoid buying this game at full price (only due to the fact that i try hard to avoid buying any game at full price), but i keep CLICKING ON THIS TOPIC.

i want it.

Daigoro said:
arg. im trying real hard to avoid buying this game at full price (only due to the fact that i try hard to avoid buying any game at full price), but i keep CLICKING ON THIS TOPIC.

i want it.

Do it. It's amazing. Completely worth it. It's the only game like this I've ever played where I don't feel frustrated or hampered by the design. And I'm actually looking forward to higher difficulties. It's ridiculous and fun and quite good looking to boot.

It is fantastic.

Sincerely,
A Fellow L4D2 Fan

Kusagari

Does Bayonetta get harder on hard later on? I'm up to chapter 9 now and while it's definitely harder, it's not the leap up in difficulty that DMC and NG have to me. I was expecting to be getting my ass handed to me completely which isn't really happening.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kusagari said:
Does Bayonetta get harder on hard later on? I'm up to chapter 9 now and while it's definitely harder, it's not the leap up in difficulty that DMC and NG have to me. I was expecting to be getting my ass handed to me completely which isn't really happening.
it hits a ceiling, I think. I found that I had the most trouble on Chapters 5 and 9, weirdly.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The hardest verse in the game is Gracious Glorious x3 on the road in Chapter 8. If you can master that, everything else is a breeze.

Rez said:
it does, but everything remains very manageable, if not a walk in the park, on Normal. it's a well-tuned difficulty for the general dude who posts on GAF. the game gets tougher once you hit Hard.

I really don't know if hard is that huge a step up besides gracious and glorious to be honest. I feel the buffed Bayonetta and pattern recognition mitigate the damage output of enemies and the fact that a whole lot of the time you'd be dying because you didn't have a clue what was going on. Hard mode is really easy for a "hardcore" action game, especially when you get the hang of the two aforementioned mobs. Hell, I'd say the most difficult section is getting the 3 torture attacks off in the prologue.

Edit: Okay, I caught that stealth edit :D

Holy shit, I just discovered the best strategy for Gracious and Glorious.

This only works with shotguns (like Onyx Alt.) or the Kilgore. Just put them on your feet, jump, then hold B to do a leg drop and keep holding B. The shot puts a total dent in to whatever they're doing and gives you some clean distance.

You still have to do some dodging, but I pure platinum'd a few Gracious and Glorious sections by doing this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
I really don't know if hard is that huge a step up besides gracious and glorious to be honest. I feel the buffed Bayonetta and pattern recognition mitigate the damage output of enemies and the fact that a whole lot of the time you'd be dying because you didn't have a clue what was going on. Hard mode is really easy for a "hardcore" action game, especially when you get the hang of the two aforementioned mobs. Hell, I'd say the most difficult section is getting the 3 torture attacks off in the prologue.
yeah, and I think that's why I like it so much. the game remained totally satisfying for someone like me who doesn't invest extreme hours into action games, and yet still manageable all the way through non-stop climax mode. I guess that might be disappointing for some, but I never felt like I could just cruise through the game. I always had to stay on my toes, but I was never frustrated, or feeling like the game was being unfair.

Jeanne IV is probably the hardest campaign fight in the game, in my opinion.

Rez said:
yeah, and I think that's why I like it so much. the game remained totally satisfying for someone like me who doesn't invest extreme hours into action games, and yet still manageable all the way through non-stop climax mode. I guess that might be disappointing for some, but I never felt like I could just cruise through the game. I always had to stay on my toes, but I was never frustrated, or feeling like the game was being unfair.

Jeanne IV is probably the hardest campaign fight in the game, in my opinion.

I don't disagree, I've not put the game down and am going through climax whilst I quit NG2 and DMC4 down at points because they were so frustrating then when I came back I lost my flow and was completely clueless.

Still I think Jeanne was easier than Gracious and Glorious because she seemed to have much longer hit stun; it was always a case of dodge a ground/air attack then lay into her or dodge a hair fist, enter witch time and then take away half a life bar. Where as with the other two you'd doge an attack, hit them once and then they'd recoil out of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what do the umbran elegances do?

Spirit of Jazz said:
I don't disagree, I've not put the game down and am going through climax whilst I quit NG2 and DMC4 down at points because they were so frustrating then when I came back I lost my flow and was completely clueless.

Still I think Jeanne was easier than Gracious and Glorious because she seemed to have much longer hit stun; it was always a case of dodge a ground/air attack then lay into her or dodge a hair fist, enter witch time and then take away half a life bar. Where as with the other two you'd doge an attack, hit them once and then they'd recoil out of it.
that's a fair point. I guess I just have a more fool-proof strategy for taking on Gracious/Glorious because of how often I've fought them, whereas with Jeanne, I haven't fought her enough to get a really solid method down yet.

Giolon

Rez said:
what do the umbran elegances do?

They add an accessory to Bayonetta's outfit corresponding to the weapon mentioned in the description. They are as follows (that I know of):

Lt. Col Kilgore:
Large hat and sunglasses. Nothing noticed for feet.
Kushinedra:
Mask-like glasses and thigh high lace up boots.
Odette:
A figure skating skirt and some kind of handkerchief headband
Durga: Freaking awesome
horns (hands) and a tail (feet).

Daigoro

BenjaminBirdie said:
Do it. It's amazing. Completely worth it. It's the only game like this I've ever played where I don't feel frustrated or hampered by the design. And I'm actually looking forward to higher difficulties. It's ridiculous and fun and quite good looking to boot.

It is fantastic.

Sincerely,
A Fellow L4D2 Fan

i was asking- NAY begging for a response like this apparently.

thanks!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This has probably been mentioned, but Gamestop is running a promotion starting tomorrow. Turn in a select game on a list for trade in and receive a select game on the list for $19.99. One of the games? Bayonetta.

The list includes Bayonetta, Darksiders, Uncharted 2, and others that I can't recall. I'm sure the ad will be on the website tomorrow.

So, your trade will be worth $40 pretty much which brings Bayonetta to $19.99.

Daigoro

Kintaro said:
This has probably been mentioned, but Gamestop is running a promotion starting tomorrow. Turn in a select game on a list for trade in and receive a select game on the list for $19.99. One of the games? Bayonetta.

The list includes Bayonetta, Darksiders, Uncharted 2, and others that I can't recall. I'm sure the ad will be on the website tomorrow.

ruh roh. time to finish up those last few MW2 achievements maybe? :lol

i rarely trade in games, but this may be worth it.

adelante

Kintaro said:

Well fuck me, you guys in the US who's not gonna take advantage of that promo deserves to be spanked by a hot leggy lady who covers herself with her own hair!!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, that was the perfect way to end the game. What a fucking ride.

Also surprised to see I only have 3 stone awards, yay. Most are silver/bronze with a couple gold and one plat(vestibule), but I felt like I had more marks of shame.

Kusagari said:

No, Hard more or less normal rebalanced for a stronger Bayonetta, and isn't significantly more difficult. The bosses are just as easy, and the virtues can still be beaten by standing in one spot and mashing Y without dodging very often.

The secret boss, however, is hard. Very hard. Normal mode Ninja Gaiden Black mission mode boss hard. It's probably the only thing in the game that'll give you DMC or NG levels of satisfaction. Unless you cheat like a youtube bitch and use the climax bracelet.

Monocle

Korey said:
[snip]
If you have the Bangle of Time (or whatever it's called), there's another way to farm halos that might be even better, you can find it on youtube.
If you call 23 million halos in a single run of Chapter 2 better, yeah, you might be right. I did that a few days ago with this method (read the description for instructions). My chapter complete info follows.

Chapter 2 (Hard)
G (2717, 01:17) PP (3360, 00:31) PP (687372, 01:22) P (2089, 00:05) X X PP (90994, 01:07) X PP (447, 00:11) PP (999999, 00:35) [Where X = skipped verse.]
Combo: 117802915
Time: 10:40.81
Halos: 23409485 [To get this figure I subtracted the total Halos in the save I made before the run from the total I had afterward.]
No Items
Gold Award

Weapons: Set A - Shuraba, Durga (flame), Set B - Kulshedra, Lt. Col. Kilgore

I should note that the method I used usually doesn't work so well; my first attempt yielded three million halos. During the above run I was fortunate to have positioned myself in just the right way to keep a steady stream of rockets hitting Fortitudo, causing my magic gauge to be partially refilled every couple seconds.

Let me stress the importance of keeping a separate save file for halo farming. You'll be grateful for it in the event that having unlimited funds kills your desire to replay the game. For myself, Bayonetta is appealing on so many fronts that the promise of unlockables isn't necessary to maintain my interest. Yesterday I got the
Sai-Fung
(yes, these
nunchaku
are completely fucking awesome) and there's still no way I'm even close to finished with this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
haha, I need to shave off THREE SECONDS from my Non-Stop Climax run-through to get under three hours. :lol

Game is still pretty damned awesome, but the technical issues are given me a headache, literally. Low framerate and tearing are annoying issues on their own, but together? Bleh.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Game is still pretty damned awesome, but the technical issues are given me a headache, literally. Low framerate and tearing are annoying issues on their own, but together? Bleh.
Yeah. Some of the mini-game sessions can be glitchy, too.

Kishgal

Banned
Finally got the 10th Alfheim challenge (
stay in the air for 60 seconds
) using the Shuraba. That took way too many tries. :\ Very rewarding, though.

Kishgal

Banned
You ought to use Kulshedra.
I only found out about that weapon when I went to look for strategies on this Alfheim, since I was having trouble. I apparently missed it, so I have to go back and get it... but I wanted to do this now instead of coming back through the stage again later. :\

AltogetherAndrews said:

which version are you playing? i don't have tearing on PS3.

Kishgal

Banned
I noticed tearing in chapter 3, but I think that's the only place I've seen it so far. Coming off of Darksiders, the smoothness of Bayonetta is a godsend.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I get some tearing as I explore some areas, but weirdly when a battle begins they turn off some effects and everything is usually pretty smooth

I occasionally get frame-rate drops during certain boss battles

Bernbaum

So I'm finding that with the sword equipped, I'm spamming p-p-p-p-p way too much. I was mixing it up a lot more with the standard equips and miss using a more diverse move set. Joy was an absolute push over.

Load screens are really beginning to shit me, as well as the fact that I'm yet to finish a chapter with less than 5 continues. I'm finding regular confrontations to be a walk in the park, but each chapter has one or two 'bottlenecks' where I have to restart too many times- hence my growing impatience with the load screens and the abysmal method the game uses to skip cutscenes. That said, I'm finding most high-tier regular enemies much more difficult than end-chapter boss fights.

Fugu

Bernbaum said:
So I'm finding that with the sword equipped, I'm spamming p-p-p-p-p way too much. I was mixing it up a lot more with the standard equips and miss using a more diverse move set. Joy was an absolute push over.

Load screens are really beginning to shit me, as well as the fact that I'm yet to finish a chapter with less than 5 continues. I'm finding regular confrontations to be a walk in the park, but each chapter has one or two 'bottlenecks' where I have to restart too many time- hence my growing impatience with the load screens and the abysmal method the game uses to skip cutscenes. That said, I'm finding most high-tier regular enemies much more difficult than end-chapter boss fights.
That just means you're going to kick the crap out of the game on your second playthrough because you'll know that the aforementioned bottlenecks are coming.

nilbog21

Banned
Kintaro said:

Where is this "selected games" list? I can't find it on GS

remz

Bernbaum said:

Load screens are really beginning to shit me, as well as the fact that I'm yet to finish a chapter with less than 5 continues. I'm finding regular confrontations to be a walk in the park, but each chapter has one or two 'bottlenecks' where I have to restart too many times- hence my growing impatience with the load screens and the abysmal method the game uses to skip cutscenes. That said, I'm finding most high-tier regular enemies much more difficult than end-chapter boss fights.
does the RT+Back cutscene skip shortcut work the first time through?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nilbog21 said:
Man, I want this game so fucking bad, but $60.... Does anyone regret buying it? How is the replayability?
I've sunk an unhealthy amount of time into this already. There's heaps of unlockables and other forms of general post-game content. It has been one of those games that really earnt every cent I paid for it.

Fugu

nilbog21 said:
Man, I want this game so fucking bad, but $60.... Does anyone regret buying it? How is the replayability?
You can add me to the list of people who did not regret paying full price for this game (In fact, I paid above full price -- I imported it). I'm on my third playthrough and I'm gunning for at least two more.

Top Bottom