• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Peff

Fimbulvetr said:
Anybody else get the achievement killing all of those vines in Paradiso(Chapter 9 or 10 I think)?

It's not too hard, if you can't make it by flying, equip the Scarborough Fair to stop and hit them with the Kulshedra.

Like this

oracrest

Beat it last night, good stuff!

It really felt like a true sequel to Devil May Cry.

And a good cross between Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and DMC. I didn't notice for a while that the blood roses come out of the ground when the panther walks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa was definitely worth it. Even noticed when I fucked up and got juggled by Grace and Glory that I was able to deflect out of it, yay.

When you get that good at the game it looks like the entire thing is playing as an extravagent Torture Attack :lol Setting up mines on the opposite end of the arena, panthering round and fire-fisting the angel into it is straight up dawg time.

Monocle

Wizman23 said:
So any tips on getting awesome combo scores or is it as simple as spamming the X button to shoot your pistols when you aren't in attack mode and waiting for a dodge?
Maintaining your combo chain with X gunfire is only half of it. The other half is mixing up the weapons you attack with. Pay attention to the combo tally on the right side of the screen. Each attack has a point value that gradually drops to 1 when the same weapon is used for too long. To keep you point awards high, mix up punches and kicks, and don't forget to switch weapon sets from time to time.

Notice that your attacks are worth more points when you're in Witch Time, or your opponents are in rage mode. Enemies will periodically enter rage mode by themselves, but taunting them will provoke that response every time. The Gaze of Despair accessory automatically rages all enemies.

_tetsuo_ said:
Got my Bayonetta, starting up now. Excitement.
Make sure not to skip the cutscenes. Otherwise, you'll miss out on a great deal of Bayonetta's charm.

Zeliard said:
I just realized that I have not used taunt a single time. :lol

Completely forgot about it.

I mostly used it whenever it felt cool as opposed to using it strategically to get better combos. :lol

"Your halo is mine."

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
oh man I have missed one or two chests somewhere in the game and I have no clue where! Anyone got any places that would be extremely easy to miss? :D

So tonight I figured, instead of buying the game and being disappointed (it burns after FF XIII) I would open a Blockbuster membership and rent it. Two chapters in, and holy shit I will gladly pay full price for this game. It's actually a lot different than the demo suggested, IMO. Game looks and plays incredibly on the 360, and the core gameplay itself is just fucking bad ass. Best combo system I've ever experienced. The lore/mythos is interesting, and the over-the-top, discreet, sexually-subtle presentation is so fucking awesome. It's games like Bayonetta that show Japanese developers really put A LOT of energy into creating wild stories and experiences. I don't know, I'm just so pleased with the game, it almost sucks that I'll have to return it in a week! Oh I'd like to add I love the art/level/character design, one of my favorites this gen (so far). Even if you rent it, I think this is a MUST PLAY for ANY Action fan.

Great way to start off 2010.

twenty1

Banned
ConcealedBlaze said:
Unhealthily replayable. No singleplayer game has hooked me this hard in terms of replay value since RE4. There's so much to unlock, the combat system gets deeper and more enjoyable as you put in more time, upping the difficulty changes way more than just the damage and health of enemies, and the core gameplay doesn't feel repetitive. Just don't stop after you complete a normal run through, since you can beat it without understanding the combat system very well. The game is good/great on normal, but god-tier on hard and up. Well worth $60.

I certainly agree!

panda21

i wonder if the whole inferno/purgatory/paradiso thing is a response to that other game? :lol seems like a bit too much of a coincidence but presumably the angels theme was around before dante's inferno was announced.

still awesome if it is...

panda21 said:
i wonder if the whole inferno/purgatory/paradiso thing is a response to that other game? :lol seems like a bit too much of a coincidence but presumably the angels theme was around before dante's inferno was announced.

I doubt it; Kamiya has already made references to the Divine Comedy in DMC(this is the reason why Dante is named Dante among a few other thing that I'm forgetting), but they've always just been passing references.

Korey

panda21 said:

Definitely not. There are other games with a similar theme, Darksiders (which came out on the same day and which is also in the same genre as GoW/Dante's Inferno/Bayonetta) being the most recent one.

ArjanN

Fimbulvetr said:
I doubt it; Kamiya has already made references to the Divine Comedy in DMC(this is the reason why Dante is named Dante among a few other thing that I'm forgetting), but they've always just been passing references.

DMC was straight up based on the Divine Comedy.

- Dante=Dante
- Virgil= Virgil
- Trish=Beatrice
- Dante goes to hell,
- "abandon all hope"
- Cerberus

etc, etc...

Only 3 chapters to go on Hard Mode and just finished the last Jeanne fight, its feeling like a zen experience now I can enter witch time at my pleasing and have learned the beauty of blocking with that accessory. I havent managed to get the 'counter' timing down right yet though so that 3 x Counter Move Achievement is out of my grasp currently.

HUELEN10

I agree with INDIGO_CYCLOPS. It's not just must-play, it's must-own. This has a place in the library of every gamer that wants a fun action experience.

HUELEN10 said:
I agree with INDIGO_CYCLOPS. It's not just must-play, it's must-own. This has a place in the library of every gamer that wants a fun action experience.
It really is. After you finish the game you just start up another play through on hard and you don't miss a beat. Its just so well designed that you can pick it up and start playing at any time.

Agyar

I bought the Selene's Light accessory, wondering if I should have waited and bought the blocking thingo. I'll get it next, I suppose.

Any other items/techniques I should prioritise? Already purchased Air Dodge as well.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Where are you up to Agyar?

Just finished Chapter 4. Enjoying it thoroughly, of course and not having any particular trouble with any encounter, excepting the Alfheims which I usually give a shot then leave alone. I think I've completed one and come very close on a couple more.

After my initial impression of holy shit my interest has gone down quite a bit. I'm only on Chapter 6 right now but dare I say that I'm somehow getting...bored? Despite Kamiya throwing endless explosions at me in combination with a fun combat system I just can't help but to feel as if something is off. While the combat system is fun I feel as if it might just be flowing a little too smoothly for me. The real time weapon changing, endless combo chaining and the near infinite dodge mechanics just make me feel like I'm far too mobile for my own good.

The extreme mobility gives me almost no respect for the enemies I'm facing...I barely remember enemy attack patterns or think of anything beyond dodging and attacking. My strategy for all enemies is pretty much the same. The camera has been pretty annoying as well. The gameplay outside of combat has been pretty annoying...the puzzles so far have been random and uninteresting and the moon walking while shit is exploding all around me seems to be done just for the sake of filler. I don't think I've ever skipped cutscenes in a game before but Bayonetta might be the first game in which I completely skip the story...just horrific.

On the plus side I actually like Bayonetta as a character and absolutely ADORE the soundtrack thus far. I'm surprised by the fact that I feel that it's inferior to DMC4 thus far though which was a big let down for me.

Papercuts

SecretBonusPoint said:
Only 3 chapters to go on Hard Mode and just finished the last Jeanne fight, its feeling like a zen experience now I can enter witch time at my pleasing and have learned the beauty of blocking with that accessory. I havent managed to get the 'counter' timing down right yet though so that 3 x Counter Move Achievement is out of my grasp currently.

I actually got that on the Vestibule on Hard by an awesome accident. The timing seems tight, almost akin to the Bat Within where you actually have to get hit, then do it immediately to negate the damage and lunge counter into witch time.

Decado

How the hell do you exit the "angel attack" screen after your round is over? It won't let me progress. The only option I have is exchanging halos for "points".

Papercuts

Decado said:
How the hell do you exit the "angel attack" screen after your round is over? It won't let me progress. The only option I have is exchanging halos for "points".

You have to exchange whatever you have left for halos. You can't save points up round to round.

Daigoro

Decado said:

that confused the shit out of me too. (maybe it still does?) i think you just exchange those points for halos or buy something then and there. those are the choices. just take the haloz and run.

Eteric Rice

Okay I just started and I need a little help. i'm on the part where you
fight on the plane, but I can't seem to kill everything in time.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Wait, I figured it out. -_-

Eteric Rice said:

What am I doing wrong?
What do you mean in time? Which part of the plane in particular?

Eteric Rice said:

What am I doing wrong?
well you fight on a plane more than once, be specific.

_Xenon_

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

What am I doing wrong?
You are supposed to use torture attack to finish them (3 times I think) instead of beating them to death.

Oh, Xenon interpreted that correctly probably. I didn't remember that first part was on a plane.

Yeah, torture attacks. To do one, you need to build up magic power either by comboing and dodging or taunting (LB). Once you have enough, a prompt will show up when you're near an enemy. Do this three times.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dark FaZe said:
After my initial impression of holy shit my interest has gone down quite a bit. I'm only on Chapter 6 right now but dare I say that I'm somehow getting...bored? Despite Kamiya throwing endless explosions at me in combination with a fun combat system I just can't help but to feel as if something is off. While the combat system is fun I feel as if it might just be flowing a little too smoothly for me. The real time weapon changing, endless combo chaining and the near infinite dodge mechanics just make me feel like I'm far too mobile for my own good.

The extreme mobility gives me almost no respect for the enemies I'm facing...I barely remember enemy attack patterns or think of anything beyond dodging and attacking. My strategy for all enemies is pretty much the same. The camera has been pretty annoying as well. The gameplay outside of combat has been pretty annoying...the puzzles so far have been random and uninteresting and the moon walking while shit is exploding all around me seems to be done just for the sake of filler. I don't think I've ever skipped cutscenes in a game before but Bayonetta might be the first game in which I completely skip the story...just horrific.

On the plus side I actually like Bayonetta as a character and absolutely ADORE the soundtrack thus far. I'm surprised by the fact that I feel that it's inferior to DMC4 thus far though which was a big let down for me.
Enemy variety and difficulty jumps steadily through the game. If you feel the same way about enemies after Chapter 12 or so (not likely), then come back and discuss.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Dark FaZe said:

Wait until you face Gracious and Glorious and tell us how you feel.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Archie said:
Wait until you face Gracious and Glorious and tell us how you feel.
They do me dirty to this day.

One combo isn't supposed to hurt that much on normal. :(

Top Bottom