• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

fernoca

Well, just finished.
Always wanted a PN03 sequel in some way or another, and to some degree..got it. Mixed with Devil May Cry....and then some more. :lol

Hope it does well enough for at least a sequel..loved everything about it. :)

Just encountered a really lame bug where one of the Alfheims wouldn't add up my torture attacks. The counter got stuck on 2 even though I performed 5 of them by the end. Is there any other reason that they wouldn't count?

Klyka

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Just encountered a really lame bug where one of the Alfheims wouldn't add up my torture attacks. The counter got stuck on 2 even though I performed 5 of them by the end. Is there any other reason that they wouldn't count?

If the TA doesn't KILL the enemy,it doesn't count.

ravien56

So just beat the game and got some questions regarding story (lol)
So Cereveza or whatever her name is Bayonetta right? But how do they exist at the same time? Why did that father balder dude suck her in?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, I'm enjoying this game even more after beating it, I could just keep playing random chapters and never get tired of it.
QUESTION: So I'm working on unlocking all of Bayonetta's costumes. Whats with the "Umbran Elegance 0x" in Rodin's Treasures, I bought a few thinking they were costumes, they say that they're perfect fits for certain weapons but I can't find out how to use/equip them. I just bought the Queen outfit, it sounded nice. <3

In regards to the articles posted above me....Yeah, Bayonetta's sexuality is pretty extreme, but I feel she's more empowering than exploitative. She isn't just a sex object, like most female characters, she's dominant, cool, powerful and the heroine of the story. Most of the music and the artsyle in this game has a feminine touch to it as well, which is cool. I'm a man, so I guess my opinion isn't that valid, but I think Bayonetta is a strong female character (which is rare in VG) even with the exaggerated proportions and sexiness.

Zeliard

Yeah, I've never felt that Bayonetta was exploitative while playing the game. She's extremely self-confident and constantly talks mad shit, she adores showing off her voluptuous figure, and she toys with and taunts her enemies throughout. There's nothing that feels exploitative about the sexuality because it's all perfectly in-character, and it's played out that way.

Monocle

Fimbulvetr said:
Anybody else get the achievement killing all of those vines in Paradiso(Chapter 9 or 10 I think)?
Yeah, just use X gunfire to position yourself, then take them out with P combos using the whip.

viewtiful_dru said:
interesting technique:
"Finisher Cancel"

can be used to do lots of damage

and IDK if this has been posted yet, but"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3JJUStzm38

mind blowing
It's great to watch Bayonetta's advanced game slowly emerge. This moment feels like the first few months after DMC3's launch, when that game was ripe to bursting with untapped potential. I'm especially impressed by the way that player guides enemies into distant Durga bombs. Kulshedra almost seems custom made for that purpose. (I can't wait to see people start to use its swing throw—hold P, rotate stick for as long as desired, P—to hurl about angels with great precision.) Another revelation was that dodge offset can be indefinitely extended with the panther form. Nifty.

In case someone can't figure out how to Finisher Cancel, you just hit jump and an attack button in very rapid succession during the action you want to interrupt. Sliding your finger from one button to the other works best. (Coincidentally, the input is very similar to jump canceling in DMC3.) So, where – = near-simultaneous input of the commands on both sides, ~ = a slight delay between commands, and J = jump, the inputs for a sequence of FCed PKPs would be PKPJ–P~KP. Each repetition of the highlighted part adds one more PKP to the string. While practicing on empty air can be helpful, remember that your timing will need to be adjusted for the slowdown effect that occurs when you hit an enemy (Just like Exceed inputs in DMC4.)

You can jump as soon as the Wicked Slice starts, and if you input P fast enough after the jump, you'll touch the ground as soon as the hit comes out and you won't need to delay the inputs for the last two hits (KP) for very long. I got a string going that was even faster than the demonstration in the video. The first strike of the follow-up combo can actually be made to hit at the same time as the preceding combo finisher.

By the way, FCing can't be used to chain ground combos with weapons like Scarborough Fair, whose basic air attack sends you much too high off the ground, no matter how fast the input. You can still do a nice transition into an aerial string, though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Darkpen said:
Lovely article on Bayonetta by Leigh Alexander:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/

directed from Tycho's post which more or less talks about the same thing:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/
I read some articles at Wired and the AV Club slamming the game because of the gratuitous sexuality. I don't believe the authors of the article recognized that the game is intentionally overplaying sex angle and you aren't supposed to take it seriously. I stopped caring about Bayonetta getting naked to do attacks about 30 minutes into the game, primarily because I was having so much fun.

conman

Bayonetta is overtly "sexual," but I don't find her particularly "sexy." I think that's more or less the difference that Leigh Alexander's piece points out.

Being "sexual" is an active thing (by a subject), while being "sexy" is a passive position (that of an object).

Decado

Daigoro said:
that confused the shit out of me too. (maybe it still does?) i think you just exchange those points for halos or buy something then and there. those are the choices. just take the haloz and run.
Yeah, I thought I had to exchange halos for points at first. Anyway, all is well. Minigame seems pointless, but oh well. Game is fun.

Monocle

Bayonetta never once struck me as exploitative because she's the one doing all the exploiting. Even while the camera explores all her curves, she's in full control and she knows it. To paraphrase the girl in that one sex documentary, she's the queen of your cock.

To be fair, Joy's intro is slightly questionable. Or it would be if the game weren't a consistent, deliberate parody of all its subject matter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't find any information on this anywhere else, what chapter do I find the skates and kilgore on? I'm trying to track down all the weapons, but I'm not really sure what to do and Google isn't helping.

Niblet

I knew this game would be great before I tried it. But one moment sealed the deal for me GAF. When the action in the beginning starts off and Bayonetta starts kicking ass the song "Fly Me to the Moon" comes on. I was hit by a wet sack of love juice. Platinum Games was able to tap into my NGE fandom by including a song that elicits a sort of Pavlovian response from me. Now it is impossible for me to critically evaluate this game. I'd say something silly like "Game of the year so far", but no.

Started the game yesterday and I like it.

My only gripe so far is the long and boring cut-scenes, just let me play dammit. (I don't skip cut-scenes... not an option)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Snuggler said:
I can't find any information on this anywhere else, what chapter do I find the skates and kilgore on? I'm trying to track down all the weapons, but I'm not really sure what to do and Google isn't helping.

Skates - Chapter 6

Kilgore - Chapter 9(I think)

To be more specific,
for the skates, turn around right at the start for a piece. When you get to the area you fight the dragon at, jump into the water and go to your left to see a cluster of rocks covering a piece. The third can't be missed(fighting joy) so you should have that already.

For kilgore, there's a piece after the first fight. You need to put the key in that statue then search around and break the door with the sun symbol on it. One side has an alfheim, the other has a disc piece. Another piece is at the platforming part, where the road of light has a piece of it missing, it's right after a gate of hell location and around the part where the golem keeps trying to smash you. You can jump across to the other side and keep following that path to see another sun door to break. I think the third piece is from a fight you can't miss, but I'm not certain.

Bernbaum

So I'm up to chapter 12 and only just equipped Darga. Damn, should have equipped it ages ago! Matched with Shuraba it makes p-p-p-p-p-p-k absolutely devastating and ideal for taking out Grace/Glory.

Iustitia was absolutely insane, and would probably be my most-enjoyed boss so far if only for the silly insta-death that follows a failed QTE. Gotta admit the QTE's feel poorly implemented and entirely unnecessary.

Oh, and I finally got the Moon of Mahala Kala. Yet to try it out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I appreciate the information! Turns out I was only missing a single piece, not so surprisingly it happened to be the one hidden behind
rocks

Dreavus

Just finished the game.

HOLY SHIT at the last few chapters. Most ridiculously, insanely cool sequences ever. I am blown away.

From a story standpoint, although a lot of it didn't make much sense, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. The only thing that kind of irked me was
the fact that Jeanne was secretly "brainwashed" by Balder for 90% of the game. That seemed like a genuinely stupid plot device. Sure the rest of it is ridiculous but I almost did a face palm when he said that. Even the time-travel Cereza paradox I can live with, this just cheapens Jeanne's role as Bayonetta's rival. (although she did kind of make up for it with the epicness contained in the final chapter.)

Although come to think of it, trying to discuss the storyline of mother-fucking Bayonetta probably isn't very wise to begin with.:lol

Miburou

Btw, you can also exchange bullets for halos if you don't want to bother with the Angel Attack mini-game.

The game is very replayable and even makes me want to replay DMC4 and finish DMC3. I just wish I didn't learn about that Kilgore exploit!

_Xenon_

Banned
As long as the story is not a cliffhanger sequel bait I'm pretty happy with it. The game is all about dodge + massive combo + ridiculous stages ... and dat ass.

9.5/10

-0.5 for the mind blowing difficulty of unlocking
Jeanne

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
Am I meant to unlock something after completing all the Alfheims?
yep, when you finish the chapter you'll unlock Bayonetta's Bloody Palace, the Lost Chapter.

now for my own question: I bet the game on Very Easy, but I didn't unlock the immortal marionette? what's up with that?

Rez said:
yep, when you finish the chapter you'll unlock Bayonetta's Bloody Palace, the Lost Chapter.

now for my own question: I bet the game on Very Easy, but I didn't unlock the immortal marionette? what's up with that?

Shit, I quit to the chapter menu after finishing the last one. Can I just finish any chapter and still get it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
Shit, I quit to the chapter menu after finishing the last one. Can I just finish any chapter and still get it?
hmm, not sure. I'm going to assume that the answer to that is 'yes', but don't quote me on it. try it on the prologue or something.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rez said:

I think you need to buy it in the store. Maybe set the difficulty to normal and go in.

Peff

Rez said:

Have you beaten every chapter including the Prologue? Or looked in the shop to see if it's there?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
I think you need to buy it in the store. Maybe set the difficulty to normal and go in.
ah, that did the trick. I was checking the store, but the difficulty was set to Easy. Cheers.

Bernbaum

Just looking for general pointers on Alfheims.

I've been avoiding them thus far, as I was advised they detract from the core game for the first play-through. Am I right to assume that there is one per chapter, minus boss-only chapters? How many all up.

Spoiler tag response for others benefit if you like, otherwise I don't mind.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there are Alfheims in all the chapters except for the prologue, 8, 14 and the cardinals, but the amount varies per chapter.

if you want a list, click here.

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I'll mark it anyway. Here's the amount of Alfheims in each chapter, without spoiling their location:

P: none
C1: 1
C2: 3
C3: 4
C4: none
C5: 3
C6: 1
C7: none
C8: none
C9: three
C10: two
C11: none
C12: two
C13: none
C14: none
C15: one
C16: none
E: one

HUELEN10

Rez, I don't want to be totally spoiled, yet I want to know if this is true...
POSSIBLY HUGE GAME SPOILERS/UNLOCKABLE SPOILERS/STORY SPOILERS
Is it true that you can unlock Jeanne by pressing "Up, Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B" near some telephone booth somewhere in the game? The reason I ask is because I've also heard that you need platinums in all levels in at least normal to get her, and maybe this is an alternate method? Something a buddy IMed to me, but I am too scared to search around and be spoiled with stuff that I might care about, so I hope you guys understand.
So, is this legit, or is my friend spouting off BS?

Nemesis_

HUELEN10 said:
Is it true that you can unlock Jeanne by pressing "Up, Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B" near some telephone booth somewhere in the game? The reason I ask is because I've also heard that you need platinums in all levels in at least normal to get her, and maybe this is an alternate method? Something a buddy IMed to me, but I am too scared to search around and be spoiled with stuff that I might care about, so I hope you guys understand.

For the unlockable you're talking about, you'll be able to do that BUT you need to hand over 1 million halos. =)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HUELEN10 said:
like Remz said, it is legit, but you need a million halos.

Dreavus said:
Although come to think of it, trying to discuss the storyline of mother-fucking Bayonetta probably isn't very wise to begin with.:lol

Seriously, it is the most pointless thing in the world. :lol

I had no idea, and still don't know what's it all about.

Monocle

Dark FaZe said:
After my initial impression of holy shit my interest has gone down quite a bit.
[snip]
Heh, play through the full game. Then give hard mode a try. Once it's unlocked you can play any chapter on that difficulty. See what you think of Bayonetta then.

Edit:
Niblet said:
I knew this game would be great before I tried it. But one moment sealed the deal for me GAF. When the action in the beginning starts off and Bayonetta starts kicking ass the song "Fly Me to the Moon" comes on. I was hit by a wet sack of love juice. Platinum Games was able to tap into my NGE fandom by including a song that elicits a sort of Pavlovian response from me. Now it is impossible for me to critically evaluate this game. I'd say something silly like "Game of the year so far", but no.
That kind of statement wouldn't be nearly as silly as you might think. Games like Bayonetta don't come along every day. Clearly, it's something extraordinary.

_Xenon_ said:
As long as the story is not a cliffhanger sequel bait I'm pretty happy with it. The game is all about dodge + massive combo + ridiculous stages ... and dat ass.

9.5/10

-0.5 for the mind blowing difficulty of unlocking
Jeanne
Oh please, just use the bloody code.

MacBosse

Bayonetta was so totally off my radar 'til the demo came. It didn't blow me away but it got my attention. I still didn't like the character Bayonetta or the artstyle but the gameplay was solid enough so I bought it when it came.

Now I've completed chapter 7 and wow ... this game blows me away. To me, this game just blows DMC out of the water. It's just such a joy to play and the stuff that happens just gets me everytime.

Kudos Team Little Angels. Great game. Great piece of art.

Bernbaum

I'm finding the only enemies I'm having trouble with are grace/glory and it's not necessarily because of nullified witch time. I've noticed that I can typically wipe the first of the pair (usually go for the blue one first) with losing next to no health, and can get the last one down to half health before I get juggled or my combos get cancelled. Does their attack pattern change up when you get them to low health, or am I just losing focus late in the fight? Last time I fought them was their first appearance in gold/white form.

The whole game is really clicking with me, it's just that there's still these niggling little confrontations here and there where I seem to hit a brick wall. I'm hardly ever using items and should probably try out more weapons. Currently only have access to the shotguns, Darga, the whip, and Shuraba.

Edit: Also, bosses seem really really easy on normal.

Monocle

Baloonatic said:
What does the Climax Bracelet do?
It ratchets up Bayonetta to full power, so she's as strong as when she fights a boss. Wicked Weaves with every attack.

Yes, it's fucking spectacular.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Monocle said:
It ratchets up Bayonetta to full power, so she's as strong as when she fights a boss. Wicked Weaves with every attack.

Yes, it's fucking spectacular.
oh god, brb, going to collect me some pigeons 0_0

Dreavus

Bernbaum said:
I'm finding the only enemies I'm having trouble with are grace/glory and it's not necessarily because of nullified witch time. I've noticed that I can typically wipe the first of the pair (usually go for the blue one first) with losing next to no health, and can get the last one down to half health before I get juggled or my combos get cancelled. Does their attack pattern change up when you get them to low health, or am I just losing focus late in the fight? Last time I fought them was their first appearance in gold/white form.

The whole game is really clicking with me, it's just that there's still these niggling little confrontations here and there where I seem to hit a brick wall. I'm hardly ever using items and should probably try out more weapons. Currently only have access to the shotguns, Darga, the whip, and Shuraba.

Edit: Also, bosses seem really really easy on normal.

You're playing on normal right? You should still be able to get witch time off of a few attacks from Grace and Glory, which are the the blue and red ones (unless you're using that one accessory). It's Gracious and Glorious who completely nullify witch time and are overall a bigger pain in the ass (the black and white ones). I only remember fighting that variation once in my normal mode play through but holy shit did they give me problems.

God, I love this game so much.

I've always enjoyed action games but never really beat many (God of War left unfinished; never bought II; DMC series left mostly unplayed, even though I own them all).

But Bayonetta...there's something special about it and I love it. I can't believe how obsessed I've become with it. I also appreciate that it's not unreasonable to people like me who aren't exactly the best at this genre. I like starting with full health after a game over and stuff (and frequent save spots). I do try my best and have gotten some Platinums and one Pure Platinum on normal :D

This has definitely become one of my favorite games--and, honestly, I planned on getting it ever since the original trailer and the subsequent info.

PlatinumGames <3

Top Bottom