• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Monocle

Rez said:
oh god, brb, going to collect me some pigeons 0_0
:D

Bernbaum said:
I'm finding the only enemies I'm having trouble with are grace/glory and it's not necessarily because of nullified witch time. I've noticed that I can typically wipe the first of the pair (usually go for the blue one first) with losing next to no health, and can get the last one down to half health before I get juggled or my combos get cancelled. Does their attack pattern change up when you get them to low health, or am I just losing focus late in the fight? Last time I fought them was their first appearance in gold/white form.
The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is your friend here. Also, try playing hit and run using your panther form.

The whole game is really clicking with me, it's just that there's still these niggling little confrontations here and there where I seem to hit a brick wall. I'm hardly ever using items and should probably try out more weapons. Currently only have access to the shotguns, Darga, the whip, and Shuraba.

Edit: Also, bosses seem really really easy on normal.
You've got more options than you appear to realize. Shuraba paired with the Onyx Roses is a deadly combination. Shuraba with Durga is even better. Flame Durga's bombs do obscene damage (to toggle Durga between electric and flame modes, rotate the left stick then press P or K, depending on the limbs where the weapon is equipped). Kulshedra is amazing for several reasons. Its most important function is its grab, which allows you to pull enemies close (hold P), pull yourself toward them (hold P, left stick toward enemies), or even swing them around and toss them away (hold P, rotate the left stick indefinitely, P). In addition, you can use the whip to attack fiery enemies without taking damage, or sneak in a few quick licks on a tough opponent from a distance.

Experiment.

Darkpen

Banned
Archie said:
I read some articles at Wired and the AV Club slamming the game because of the gratuitous sexuality. I don't believe the authors of the article recognized that the game is intentionally overplaying sex angle and you aren't supposed to take it seriously. I stopped caring about Bayonetta getting naked to do attacks about 30 minutes into the game, primarily because I was having so much fun.
yep, and I love that Leigh sees through that, along with Tycho.

Mohonky

I'm a little torn on this game still. I played the demo and enjoyed it enough to try the retail version but I'm not sure on the combat.

I enjoy the game but I hate the feeling of not being 'in total control' of whats happening on screen. I suppose the easiest way to explain it is that my favourite action / combat game is Ninja Gaiden; I like that at any given time no matter what action is happening on screen I know that it's a result of my input. If I perform a combo that kills an enemy, that I have blocked and countered an opponent or I get plain got my ass handed to me I know why or I know what I what I should have done. It's clinical, I know everything that is happening on screen is because of my input or lack of it.

With Bayonetta I often feel like I'm only half in control. With the camera flailing about, the mass amount of flashy shit happening on screen and the epic number of moves, cancels and fighting style changes (usually all in a single combo link) just leaves me feeling like I'm mashing buttons without really knowing exactly what I really wanted to do, just that whatever attempt to control the combat I had or the outcome of the fight was a basis of random button mashings and luck.

One of the reasons I don't play fighting games, and I suspect one of the reasons I don't get the combat, is because it relies so heavily on memorising stupidly long combos. Throw in the fact that some combo's rely on a quick delay and I'm buggered, I feel like I'm mashing and I'm definitely not as good as the games is leading me to believe, and that bothers me.

I love the visuals, I love the campness, I love the stupid over the top...everything about the game but I just can't get my head around the combat. Am I really suppose to be able to remember these massive combo's and style changes?

Just feels like I'm missing something. That everyone else is like some combo repeating robot capable of recalling 30 button input sequences and knows which of those combos to do at any given time. Is it true, are you all super freaks in disguise or is this a side to gaming that has exposes I have some sort of gaming related impairment?

When you play the full game, all the way through, you just learn the combos and ways to attack. Bayonetta puts you more in control than any combat game to date, any failings of button bashing is purely your own lack of skill. The fact you can practice at any time in loading screens means in the full game theres no excuse to not experiment and see what combos you feel comfortable with.

Mohonky

SecretBonusPoint said:
When you play the full game, all the way through, you just learn the combos and ways to attack. Bayonetta puts you more in control than any combat game to date, any failings of button bashing is purely your own lack of skill. The fact you can practice at any time in loading screens means in the full game theres no excuse to not experiment and see what combos you feel comfortable with.

With the game installed on my HDD there's barely enough time to perform much of anything during loading.

Also I've played about 1 hrs worth so far. Hopefully it starts clicking with me

Victrix

*beard*
Really enjoying this so far. The combat just feels so polished. Oddly, it feels easier than NG2/DMC4, but not in a bad way... eg, the enemies all telegraph their moves, so it's entirely my fault if I screw up and miss. It's also very easy to combo.

But pulling together everything to land a perfect platinum is more challenging, and more interesting. Plus I'm assuming the higher difficulties are less forgiving.

It seems I'm also missing a lot of fights in each chapter, looks like there's a lot of stuff I need to track down on my next playthrough. Solid.

Shito

Mohonky said:
With the game installed on my HDD there's barely enough time to perform much of anything during loading.
Warning though: it seems installing Bayonetta on your HDD worsen the tearing and framerates problems.

Mohonky said:
Am I really suppose to be able to remember these massive combo's and style changes?
You say you like NG but you are afraid of Bayonetta's "massive combos"?

remz

Mohonky said:

You can press back/select during a loading screen to keep it there in practice mode.

Alot of the weapons, even though the effects of their combos are drastically differant share then same inputs for moves, so although there's like 50 odd strings, eventually you pick up most of them by just trying new things, which you an then use for other weapons. it is overwhelming though, and I know exactly what you mean in that other post, coming from NG myself.

Mohonky

Shito said:
Warning though: it seems installing Bayonetta on your HDD worsen the tearing and framerates problems.

You say you like NG but you are afraid of Bayonetta's "massive combos"?

The combo's in NG aren't nearly as long and you can't really afford to be on the offensive nearly long enough to perform them in the same way you do in this game.

Monocle

Mohonky said:

Press the Back button and you can practice on the loading screen for as long as you want.

Edit: Oops, beaten.

remz

Mohonky said:
The combo's in NG aren't nearly as long and you can't really afford to be on the offensive nearly long enough to perform them in the same way you do in this game.
Later on you won't be able to get a full combo out without dodge offsetting

Mohonky said:
Here's the problem:

Bayonetta is not Ninja Gaiden.

There's a reason why PG labels it a NON STOP CLIMAX ACTION GAME, because you're technically not supposed to stop attacking. That's why dodge offset is a necessary technique, because it lets you use your defensive maneuvers (ie, dodging) to continue your offense.

And for the record, I disagree with you concerning fighting games being all about memorizing long combos. A statement like that just shows that you don't understand the genre.

Shito

Mohonky said:
They are about the same lenght in both game, though, but yeah, I see what you mean, Bayonetta's "dodge and cancel your move whenever you feel like it" pushes the shift on attack a lot more than in NG.
Having myself spent way more time on DMC3/4 than on NG, I don't see Bayonetta's combos as "massive", but just as asuccession of reasonable-short combos that you can string together the way you want.
All in all, this comes down to practice: after playing the game a bit you will get better at recognizing what's on screen, and you'll naturally learn most of the combos.

Natural

Just got this today, and my Lord am I in love! The game-play and the soundtrack is amazing, and I have only just touched the surface.

Mohonky

Cheers for the responses guys. Like I said, I'm enjoying the game and I've definitely had a smile on my face playing it and wouldn't hesitate to say it's better than the DMC and GOW titles (imo of course) but I've probly not played enough of it to become as adept at it as I like, like I said, I've only played a bit over an hour.

By the sounds of it, I just need to play it some more and adapt to it's play style more than anything.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Yeah Bayonetta and NG are two totally different games. You can't go into Bayonetta with a NG mindset or you will just set yourself up for disappointment.

Facism

Love how this game just constantly takes the piss out of itself even on something as epic as the final boss.

Japan is not dead yet, thankfully :D

Miburou

Really? Guess I'm gonna play off the disc, then.

Only chapter 2 really had any serious amount of tearing, so I'll test it on that part.

ElyrionX

Anyone using Odette extensively? I'm not feeling it that much because you keep sliding all over the place and it makes me feel like I have a lot less control over the character. Any thoughts?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Archie said:
Yeah Bayonetta and NG are two totally different games. You can't go into Bayonetta with a NG mindset or you will just set yourself up for disappointment.
NG:B, no NG2 i'd say yes as it lends itself as being almost as hectically offensive as Bayonetta in some instances. Bayonetta surely takes the cake in terms of non stop button pressing, comboing madness tho.

I love the Clover vibe behind the game;
it may not be as campy as God Hand but the shades of camp are there and I love it.

Also I love it that they let you TRY a move before buying it. That is such a good +++ whenever wanting to chose to customize your character the way you want her

I am still early in the game so I am avoiding the thread due to spoilerphobia

ElyrionX

dragonlife29 said:
Son of a bitch...did you just spoil something? =/ ^

Unless it's an accessory?

If you're so afraid of spoilers in a goddamn action game, why even take the chance and come into an official thread?

Playing this game on hard now and this is really the way to play it. It keeps you on your toes and makes you EXECUTE. I was playing with just Elaine's Light (sp?) and just now bought the Shiva accessory so I'm hoping the parry stuff gels with me. I'm at the start of chapter 7. After this, I plan to do another normal run through where I beat all the Alheim's and collect anything I've missed. What an amazing game. Truly.

Miburou

It's a weapon.

And, holy shit, running the game from disc rather than hard drive made the tearing in chapter 2 almost disappear entirely. Loading times suck, though. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Haha, so you know how I said Bayonetta was harder than DMC1? I've been playing Bayonetta a fair bit in the last couple days, and suddenly something clicked. I honestly find the game a LOT less difficult. I even went back to Chapter 9 where the Kinship first appear, and I beat them without taking a scratch.

THIS CONFUSES ME.

I think a number of factors have come into play.

1) I'm rusty. I haven't played a 3D action game since DMC4, which unlike the era of Ninja Gaiden and DMC3, wasn't a time when I was playing a ton of action games. I'm getting my mojo back, and it's becoming much easier.

2) I understand the game better now. The more I play, the more I understand the role of accessories, the weapons, the items, and the moves conferred upon me. Using specific weapons on specific enemies has proved to make the game far less frustrating, and far more fun.

3) I have more weapons now. I have rocket tonfas. 'Nuff said.

4) I'm stupid. Or, I was.

(I just finished Chapter XIII last night, and I'm moving on to the last chapters of the game)

EDIT: Also, is the Ice Witch achievement for freezing foes with Odette?

I am now officially throwing myself into Bayonetta after foolishly wanting to Platinum NGS2. Lots of stuff in this game, and it overwhelms me, so this is how I am tackling it (this is after I beat the game once already and have all the weapons)

Priority
1. Get all the health and magic
2. Complete all alfheim
3. Unlock Bracelet of Time
4. Find all crows and resting places.
5. When bored, farm halos to practice combos and to get ready for hard mode.

ugh I feel exhausted already thinking about this

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
thetrin said:
Haha, so you know how I said Bayonetta was harder than DMC1? I've been playing Bayonetta a fair bit in the last couple days, and suddenly something clicked. I honestly find the game a LOT less difficult. I even went back to Chapter 9 where the Kinship first appear, and I beat them without taking a scratch.

THIS CONFUSES ME.

This almost always happens with a new combat engine unless it's incredibly familiar. The reason why people consider DMC3 so difficult is because they didn't completely understand the combat engine (and it's impossible to grasp it in the beginning of the game), so they get decimated. These things only come with experience... no tutorial can get you to fully understand all the important aspects.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GuardianE said:
This almost always happens with a new combat engine unless it's incredibly familiar. The reason why people consider DMC3 so difficult is because they didn't completely understand the combat engine (and it's impossible to grasp it in the beginning of the game), so they get decimated. These things only come with experience... no tutorial can get you to fully understand all the important aspects.

I'll buy that. I'm really getting the hang of the game now. That's for sure. Tonight I'm hoping to finish the game...then it's time for achievement hunting!

BeautifulMemory said:
I am now officially throwing myself into Bayonetta after foolishly wanting to Platinum NGS2. Lots of stuff in this game, and it overwhelms me, so this is how I am tackling it (this is after I beat the game once already and have all the weapons)

Priority
1. Get all the health and magic
2. Complete all alfheim
3. Unlock Bracelet of Time
4. Find all crows and resting places.
5. When bored, farm halos to practice combos and to get ready for hard mode.

ugh I feel exhausted already thinking about this

Hard mode is not that hard. I suck at action games and I am doing fine without accessories (I have them now!) Can't speak for Climax though. You might want to get certain accessories when doing the Alfhiem's as some are hard (not possible?) without certain accessories.

I will say that this game has clicked with me far better than other actions games and I find myself actually improving vs just struggling more at higher difficulties. It's a good feeling. It certainly helps that the game is never "cheap" and if you use the right strategy and plan out your battles, you're good to go.

Ultimo hombre said:
Hard mode is not that hard. I suck at action games and I am doing fine without accessories (I have them now!) Can't speak for Climax though. You might want to get certain accessories when doing the Alfhiem's as some are hard (not possible?) without certain accessories.

I will say that this game has clicked with me far better than other actions games and I find myself actually improving vs just struggling more at higher difficulties. It's a good feeling. It certainly helps that the game is never "cheap" and if you use the right strategy and plan out your battles, you're good to go.

meeehhh I was hoping that wouldn't happen, in regards to needing certain accessories to complete the alfheims.

Damn, I spent the money left over from my first play through on the costumes, rather than getting the accessories. Ugh.

I might want to re-think my strategy with hard then, because I absolutely get my ass served when I fought Jeanne. And it was only the first fight.

thetrin

Hey guys, quick question. How many LPs do you need for the record fanatic achievement? I have 6, and I'm curious how many more I need to get the achievement.

BeautifulMemory said:
meeehhh I was hoping that wouldn't happen, in regards to needing certain accessories to complete the alfheims.

Damn, I spent the money left over from my first play through on the costumes, rather than getting the accessories. Ugh.

I might want to re-think my strategy with hard then, because I absolutely get my ass served when I fought Jeanne. And it was only the first fight.

Same here but the 2nd time I fought her, I owned her. Like I said, the game will start to click and you'll get into a flow. Hard will make you learn the game. Keep playing it. You'll farm up Halo's fast in hard also so atleast get Elaine's Light accessory for 100k.

With Jeanne, it was all about dodging and getting a couple of slashes in occasionally. Then if you happen to witch time her, start to unload a long combo. She'll try to counter as soon as witch time is over. As soon as WT ends, get ready to dodge. If you're lucky, you'll WT her again or at worst, dodge her which will set you up for a couple of more free hits on her.

thetrin

Ultimo hombre said:

I still think the game is cheap at times (such as attacking split seconds after a cut scene ends), but I'm definitely finding myself having an easier time in later levels than earlier ones. Having a bigger set of weapons and accessories helps too.

Dabookerman said:
Do 100 chapters.. supposedly.
Well then, I guess I'm using the payphone, then. :p

Hari Seldon

Is there like a guide for complete n00bs somewhere?

Also, I'm a total idiot, but for some reason there is like a punch-delay-kick (or maybe it is kick-delay-punch) combo and no matter what I do I cannot hit it. Delays just seem random to me. There are like 2 lengthy moves that I can pull off with regularity, and that is it.

Top Bottom