• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hari Seldon said:
Is there like a guide for complete n00bs somewhere?

Also, I'm a total idiot, but for some reason there is like a punch-delay-kick (or maybe it is kick-delay-punch) combo and no matter what I do I cannot hit it. Delays just seem random to me. There are like 2 lengthy moves that I can pull off with regularity, and that is it.

I think of the delay as a silent button press, instead of pressing the button three times, press it, pretend to press it, and then press it.

That might overcomplicate things, but it makes a ton of sense to me.

thetrin said:
I still think the game is cheap at times (such as attacking split seconds after a cut scene ends), but I'm definitely finding myself having an easier time in later levels than earlier ones. Having a bigger set of weapons and accessories helps too.

The first few times, this can catch you off guard but seriously after a few chapters/one playthrough, there's no excuse for not dodging at the end of a cutscene. You KNOW it's coming.

Wow, only 3 more achievements left to collect. I think I'm missing 2 Treasure Chests (1 heart left to make a 4 and 1 pearl left to make the 2) which is a bit of a pain, Platinum running the Afterburner/Space Harrier stages and the one I probably wont be getting for a Infinite Climax run :lol

Ultimo hombre said:
Same here but the 2nd time I fought her, I owned her. Like I said, the game will start to click and you'll get into a flow. Hard will make you learn the game. Keep playing it. You'll farm up Halo's fast in hard also so atleast get Elaine's Light accessory for 100k.

With Jeanne, it was all about dodging and getting a couple of slashes in occasionally. Then if you happen to witch time her, start to unload a long combo. She'll try to counter as soon as witch time is over. As soon as WT ends, get ready to dodge. If you're lucky, you'll WT her again or at worst, dodge her which will set you up for a couple of more free hits on her.

all right I will try it out when I play again. I have trouble reading her attacks, especially her weaves.

Hari Seldon said:
Is there like a guide for complete n00bs somewhere?

Also, I'm a total idiot, but for some reason there is like a punch-delay-kick (or maybe it is kick-delay-punch) combo and no matter what I do I cannot hit it. Delays just seem random to me. There are like 2 lengthy moves that I can pull off with regularity, and that is it.

gamefaqs and youtube are good places to start. As with delays, think of it as a half second pause. So usually you are hitting the buttons consecutively, right? With delay, you are holding back the button for a split second just before you push it. Another way (that worked for me back in DMC3) is to watch for the character's animation, you can tell when she is going to move into a delay-sequence attack by her animating into another attack posture.

Dave1988

thetrin said:
Hey guys, quick question. How many LPs do you need for the record fanatic achievement? I have 6, and I'm curious how many more I need to get the achievement.

You need 7 LPs for this trophy/achievement.
If you've already collected all the regular weapons beating Hard should net you this one.

Anyway, I have a question of my own: is there a written guide for the Witch graves locations?

Coverly

Finished the game yesterday. This is one of the best games I've ever played.

Going to start on getting items and unlockables today, can't wait.

Can anyone give me some tips on executing combos in the air/maintaining height/Alfheim challenge that
asks you to stay in the air for 20 seconds (or something?)

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Can anyone give me some tips on executing combos in the air/maintaining height/Alfheim challenge that
asks you to stay in the air for 20 seconds (or something?)

Use the whip, jump, hold down the Y to bring then to you, jump off them, rinse and repeat.

Fakto

So, I've picked up the game yesterday ... How the hell I'm suposed to beat the IV act
[big boss in the coliseum]
in normal ? After trying it for 2 hours I just couldn't endure more and switched the dificulty to easy ... But it stills bugs me, HOW ? Is there any "regular gamer" that can go there, with the regular wepons and no accesories nor objects, and defeat him ? ... GAF, do I suck ? >,<

Ultimo hombre said:
Use the whip, jump, hold down the Y to bring then to you, jump off them, rinse and repeat.

Hmm, not sure if I have a whip; weapon right? Guess I'll have to wait until I pick that up. I also didn't realize you can switch weapon sets in the middle of comboing. Eesh, wish I had known that from the start. Thanks for the pointer!

Fakto said:
So, I've picked up the game yesterday ... How the hell I'm suposed to beat the IV act
in normal ? After trying it for 2 hours I just couldn't endure more and switched the dificulty to easy ... But it stills bugs me, HOW ? Is there any "regular gamer" that can go there, with the regular wepons and no accesories nor objects, and defeat him ? ... GAF, do I suck ? >,<

you just have to stop freaking out over the size of the boss. Once you get the timing down dodge at the last second to witchtime and unleash a quick weave combo. Once the boss falls to the ground and lies there, hurry up and jump down to activate the quicktime/climax actions

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Hmm, not sure if I have a whip; weapon right? Guess I'll have to wait until I pick that up. I also didn't realize you can switch weapon sets in the middle of comboing. Eesh, wish I had known that from the start. Thanks for the pointer!

I used the katana and crow techinque. The crow lasts at most 7 seconds and it is important to remember that you can always double jump again once you do a jump cancel

Fakto said:
Keep in mind, every one of your attacks is a wicked weave, so when he comes a little bit closer, you can still hit him.

If you want to play it safe, don't try to fight him off the bridge. The second the bridge collapses, go to the rubble for the bridge and get the hourglass out to rebuild the bridge. From there, do your normal dodging of fireballs and bites until he attacks the bridge again and you get the hourglass again. During downtime, just hold X and shoot him with your gun and pick or punch when the face gets closer. Don't be afraid to attack him if he's knocked out on the ground, you can always jump back up to the bridge if it's not destroyed.

Eventually it will move in to phase three when there's no real strategy aside just beating the crap out of him.

fernoca

And keeping in mind that playing on easy doesn't earn you the achievements/trophies for finishing chapters..

I'm planning on playing on easy, now that I finished the game..just to get more halos..more weapons..etc.

Just beat Chapter XIV. Probably among the more frustrating, but I can't be too mad with such an amazing finishing fight.

God damn this game just does not stop being the most fun thing in the world.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I did it without the whip and it wasn't too bad. First, the little flying things tend to stay under so you need move just a bit between them and jump on their heads. also, make sure you don't go too high or you will damage them as you fall and kill them, so save you double jump to when you are coming down. third, if you have that skinny sword (name starts with S) which you can have already, than use it. It has a move where you can hold down triangle while in the sir and it will burn 5-6 seconds before you fall; that's the move I finished with to stay in the air.

Man, this game is really starting to take the low road. . . Enemies who break combos, can't be juggled or trip, lead to me spamming PPPP. Now that the game has taken several combo possibilities away as mentioned above, why not just stick with the moves that do the most damage? And the witch time is getting shorter and shorter, which is bullshit, and some enemies are immune to witch time, which is also bullshit. Bullshit enemy combos that hit you 3 times and take away 2/3 or your life bar. And WTF with the cheesy platform elements? It really takes the game away from what it does best. BTW, I'm playing on normal.

palpabl_purpura said:
Man, this game is really starting to take the low road. . . Enemies who break combos, can't be juggled or trip, lead to me spamming PPPP. Now that the game has taken several combo possibilities away as mentioned above, why not just stick with the moves that do the most damage? And the witch time is getting shorter and shorter, which is bullshit, and some enemies are immune to witch time, which is also bullshit. Bullshit enemy combos that hit you 3 times and take away 2/3 or your life bar. And WTF with the cheesy platform elements? It really takes the game away from what it does best. BTW, I'm playing on normal.
this is how all devil may cry-type games tend to go... difficulty like this. Just keep at it.

palpabl_purpura said:

step your game up, man. This is one of the finest action game we are talking about here. Hardcore. Climax non-stop. Stylish-action. Whatever you call it.

gunstarhero

Bayonetta? More like BAY-YO-MAMA!

Ok, now that thats out of the way, I have a couple of questions:

Is it possible to replay old levels for halos? I thought you could select levels during that map screen in between chapters, but can't seem to move the marker.

I'm on Chapter 5, got the shotgun, sword and whip - I think I missed the claws. Where do I get them? (Or CAN I still get them??)

Is there a technique I'm not understanding in this game to warrant higher trophies? I feel like I'm holding my own in fights, but almost every chapter end gives me a stone award. I use witch time A LOT and pretty much mastered the timing to activate it - but I feel like I have to be missing something...

And finally, I'll just echo what a lot of you guys are saying - easily one of my favorite games EVER on the 360. :D

palpabl_purpura said:
There's counters to every complaint you listed.

If you're trying to play the same way on every enemy, it's no wonder you're calling bullshit. The game is trying to get you to play differently, but if you're just spamming the "strongest moves" (of which there's no universal one), then it's just being stubborn.

gunstarhero said:

Is it possible to replay old levels for halos? I thought you could select levels during that map screen in between chapters, but can't seem to move the marker.

I'm on Chapter 5, got the shotgun, sword and whip - I think I missed the claws. Where do I get them? (Or CAN I still get them??)

Is there a technique I'm not understanding in this game to warrant higher trophies? I feel like I'm holding my own in fights, but almost every chapter end gives me a stone award. I use witch time A LOT and pretty much mastered the timing to activate it - but I feel like I have to be missing something...

And finally, I'll just echo what a lot of you guys are saying - easily one of my favorite games EVER on the 360. :D

If you use continues or items you'll be stoned. I think it's like 2 items or 1 continue used per level? I'm a stone man myself but I dont' care about ranking.

fernoca

To me, well..I loved the game..
But it had a few problems that usually games on the same genre (and developers) had:
1. Shoot the 'visual-load' early
The first stages/chapters usually look impressive, greatly designed and detailed...as you play stages ..places just start to look stale, less surprising, more boring or just lame....and empty..

2. Difficulty = Lots of enemies + each hit takes more damage
Enemies start appearing, that just with a few attacks take nearly your entire life bar...sometimes enemies that you already beat earlier.

3. The classic beat
every boss all over again, before
the final boss.
Self explanatory.. :p

But even with those.."things"..I just loved the game, as I said before..maybe it is because it reminds me of P.N.03 so much..so I may be biased. :p

gunstarhero said:

Hit RB on the chapter screen and go to chapter select.

I forget what chapter has the LPs, but you basically need to get the LPs and take them to Rodin. I think they are in chapter 5, actually. Pretty sure only one piece is optional.

Are you dying a lot or using items? Both lower your score a ton.

gunstarhero said:

when it asks you to save, start the level, or go to gates of hell... open the sub menu (r1 on PS3) and it will bring up the option to level select

Korey

palpabl_purpura said:
Man, this game is really starting to take the low road. . . Enemies who break combos, can't be juggled or trip, lead to me spamming PPPP. Now that the game has taken several combo possibilities away as mentioned above, why not just stick with the moves that do the most damage?
Dodge offset

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
palpabl_purpura said:

You've hit a really tough spot in the game. Work past it, and eventually, you're going to find your rhythm again. The game does have a weird hump right in the middle. (I was feeling the same thing around where you are)

thetrin

Korey said:

I still don't really FULLY understand dodge offset (though I do have the achievement of doing dodge offset into Wicked Weave), but I find a far easier way of beating the hump in the middle is to look into using different weapons on foes, or using new moves. I found the body slam is way more useful than I ever imagined.

That said, yes, if you can get dodge offset to work, it's helpful. I honestly have no clue when I'm doing it, and not doing it.

Fugu

palpabl_purpura said:
Man, this game is really starting to take the low road. . . Enemies who break combos
Use dodge offset or shorter combos. That's basically what they're there for.
can't be juggled or trip
Well yes, that's integral to allowing enemies to hit back.
lead to me spamming PPPP.
If you can PPPP you can PKP which is faster and does more damage.
Now that the game has taken several combo possibilities away as mentioned above, why not just stick with the moves that do the most damage?
That's the idea.
And the witch time is getting shorter and shorter
Witch time doesn't get shorter.
and some enemies are immune to witch time, which is also bullshit.
No, it's challenging. And if this is your attitude towards enemies disabling witch time, you're not going to like the direction this game goes in.
Bullshit enemy combos that hit you 3 times and take away 2/3 or your life bar.
Either dodge the first hit, or get and learn to use bat time.
And WTF with the cheesy platform elements? It really takes the game away from what it does best.
Even the most difficult of the platforming segments are rarely difficult. It's just something there to establish continuity.
BTW, I'm playing on normal.
Perhaps you should try easy.

eso76

when i beat this i need to see this 2 options pop up in the menu.

One to watch all cutscenes.
One to play the game WITHOUT cutscenes.

I know they can be skipped but it takes too long, and i'm generally someone who hates skipping cutscenes and genuinely hate people who do on their first playthrough.
But I don't know, i think the pace is too often broken. I don't get to fight nearly as many enemies i'd like. I really like the combat system, although i am still an amateur (probably worse than that, actually) and i would like to practice more with MUCH more numerous hordes or regular enemies, but the game only throws like 3 or 4 at me before some tedious platforming, a cutscene, a boss, one more cutscene, some wandering around, 2 small enemies etc

Also, a lot of the checkpoints are really badly placed, sometimes forcing you to just walk 2 minutes to get to the point where the cutscene is triggered before attempting to beat some boss.

Oh well, game's still great, but those things bother me.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
eso76 said:

I know they can be skipped but it takes too long, and i'm generally someone who hates skipping cutscenes and genuinely hate people who do on their first playthrough.
But I don't know, i think the pace is too often broken. I don't get to fight nearly as many enemies i'd like. I really like the combat system, although i am still an amateur (probably worse than that, actually) and i would like to practice more with MUCH more numerous hordes or regular enemies, but the game only throws like 3 or 4 at me before some tedious platforming, a cutscene, a boss, one more cutscene, some wandering around, 2 small enemies etc

Also, a lot of the checkpoints are really badly placed, sometimes forcing you to just walk 2 minutes to get to the point where the cutscene is triggered before attempting to beat some boss.

Right Trigger + Back = instant skip

NIN90

eso76 said:

Hit BACK+RT (360) / SELECT+R2 (PS3)

FUCK THIS

I just beat Fortuito (or whatever he's called) on my hard playthrough. I have the shotguns, the katana, the whip and the gauntlets. Which chapters should I be looking at to complete the weapon set?

Shito

BeautifulMemory said:
meeehhh I was hoping that wouldn't happen, in regards to needing certain accessories to complete the alfheims.
I'm currently completing all of the Alfheim: did the first 15 and so far I hadn't had to use an accessory.
#12 (the second "Execute X Torture Attacks" one) was hand down the hardest one - the others were quite easy.

eso76 said:
What?
This game has the most cleverly placed checkpoints of the genre: it saves your position so often this is why the game is so much easier than NG1 or DMC3.

burgerdog

What the fuck. I just died five times after the big bang bonus on climax :lol :lol

and one more death to statue breaking. God damn non-combat sections!

Korey

thetrin said:
I still don't really FULLY understand dodge offset (though I do have the achievement of doing dodge offset into Wicked Weave), but I find a far easier way of beating the hump in the middle is to look into using different weapons on foes, or using new moves. I found the body slam is way more useful than I ever imagined.

That said, yes, if you can get dodge offset to work, it's helpful. I honestly have no clue when I'm doing it, and not doing it.
It's not too difficult. Try with just punches with no enemies around until you get it down.

P P P (hold) RT P

Hold the third P while you dodge, then release and do your fourth punch. If you're successful your fourth or fifth punch should be the flurry.

Hari Seldon

Another stupid question. When I beat a board and it shows the medals for each stage, why am I missing medals? Are these places I didn't find on the board? I thought I was being thorough exploring everything, but I'm not following a walkthrough.

gunstarhero

Thanks Ultimo hombre and Shocking Alberto - I AM using green lollipops frequently, so that must be it.

Also, just noticed something called the Dodge Offset that will probably help.

I cant believe I never noticed the chapter select option before!

Thanks again!

NIN90

thetrin said:

This is the combo i learned the Dodge Offset with:

P P K K K

The last two kicks are weave attacks. So you want to get to those as fast as possible.
The two punches are very quick attacks in this combo so no need to offset them.
But first kick has a really long animation and it doesnt do much damage so it's perfect for Dodge Offset.
So it would look like this:

P P K(HOLD AND DODGE) K K

The Alfheims where you can only use Wicked Weave attacks also help with this.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Hari Seldon said:
Another stupid question. When I beat a board and it shows the medals for each stage, why am I missing medals? Are these places I didn't find on the board? I thought I was being thorough exploring everything, but I'm not following a walkthrough.
You're most missing Alfheims which are hidden throughout the level. Alot of them require you to backtrack.

How do you guys beat the game on higher difficulties? With or without accessories?

Coming from DMC and NG, I feel kind of weird using accessories that enhance my character's strength (but I will take that any day over the leveling system in either game). However, I do realize that skills are still necessary to master this game, as I wouldn't be surprised if I fall short of the 3 hour mark my first time as some battles are just taking too damn long due to my inability to land combos

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I can't imagine beating Infinite Climax without the beads. I'm sure it is possible, but I'd get frustrated.

What accessory would be the best to get to at least net me a few more halos per fight. I know both Gaze of Despair and Selene's Light are suggested, but I only have enough for 1. I'd like one that will give me a small advantage in earning halos besides the obvious outcome/success in battle.

Something cool I found out: you can do the panther attack repeatedly if you double tap dodge and then press P, and then double tap again

simple but cool

Dave1988

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
What accessory would be the best to get to at least net me a few more halos per fight. I know both Gaze of Despair and Selene's Light are suggested, but I only have enough for 1. I'd like one that will give me a small advantage in earning halos besides the obvious outcome/success in battle.

Buy the Gaze. It's a must if you want to get more halos per fight.

What accessories are best to get through Infinte Climax? I assume Selene's Light is a waste.

Also, what do you get for completing it on Hard? I should be done with hard by this weekend and starting for Climax.

Top Bottom