• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ultimo hombre said:
What accessories are best to get through Infinte Climax? I assume Selene's Light is a waste.

Also, what do you get for completing it on Hard? I should be done with hard by this weekend and starting for Climax.
Beads are the best accessory.

Also you get
laser guns
for beating it on hard.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ultimo hombre said:
Are they good?

I was considering cheating and buying the climax bracelet and doing it with that :(
The charge Y attack is pretty sick, otherwise they seem to be the same as your vanilla guns.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I feel like I'm getting pretty good at this game, I can pull off some nice combos and beat most levels without dying or healing, I've beaten the first 4 or 5 areas on hard without much trouble, but for some reason I cannot do dodge offsets. I guess my hand eye coordinating just isn't good enough to do it, something about starting a combo, holding it while dodging and finishing it does not compute for me.

Fugu

NIN90 said:
This is the combo i learned the Dodge Offset with:

P P K K K

The last two kicks are weave attacks. So you want to get to those as fast as possible.
The two punches are very quick attacks in this combo so no need to offset them.
But first kick has a really long animation and it doesnt do much damage so it's perfect for Dodge Offset.
So it would look like this:

P P K(HOLD AND DODGE) K K

The Alfheims where you can only use Wicked Weave attacks also help with this.
Dodge offsetting this combo is fucking MONEY.
Offset PPK and you have two wicked weaves without ever having to throw out a regular attack.

(PPP)K(K)K with the moves in brackets offsetted is great too. (PK)P with shuruba is almost too good.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
uhm?.....MOTHERFUCKWHATWHAWTWHHATHHWHAHTAWHWHTWHTHA?!??!?!?!!?!?

I'm at the last part of the game hard, I've breezed through it this far and THIS is whats gonna break me?
so I've killed the last boss and all that is left is to ram the bitch into the sun but wtffffffffff is going on!? I keep hitting planets no matter what i do....seriously on normal I had no idea that you could even hit the planets but this motherfucking piece of ass is really pissing me off mang......

Alright I've gotten every other achievement and I'm almost half-way through Climax.

Course there's still tons of stuff to do like Lost Chapter, extra characters, and getting some scores worth a damn.

BTW I did the Afterburner achievement on Very Easy :X. The best part was when I fought Jeanette afterwards and beat her entirely with Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y. Even if she "hits" Bayonetta automatically goes batty no matter what. What a completely ridiculous mode.

Dunno why I'm tagging everyone has beaten the game already anyway.
Oh yeah dodging the solar system gets stupid on harder settings. Best I can recommend is trying different paths. It seems certain areas can lock whatever into a certain path and before you know it you're slamming into something that isn't the sun. Try new directions is all I can recommend.

Oh and I loooooove that you can pick whatever stage you want even if it hasn't been played yet on a harder setting.

Oh and I just noticed but on the loading screens you can actually hit select to lock into Practice Mode. So even when the level finishes loading you can continue doing moves(until you hit select again of course).

Parrying fireballs still rules btw.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimo hombre said:
Are they good?

I was considering cheating and buying the climax bracelet and doing it with that :(
I used them for my Very Hard playthrough. They kick a lot of ass if you can get a few charged lasers off at a group of enemies in one combo. I'd recommend them.

Infinite Climax mode is just...mentally draining :lol Dunno where to start looking for the last 2 Treasure Chests I need, and having to go through a walkthrough would be tedious. And my first attempt at platinum running the Space Harrier segment failed to Gold, as my button mashing arm is SPENT.

The frequency (and utter shitness) of cutscenes is really starting to grate on me. That and the music. I knew coming into it that it would be rough, but damn. I think it fits just fine, but it's not my thing.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The frequency (and utter shitness) of cutscenes is really starting to grate on me. That and the music. I knew coming into it that it would be rough, but damn. I think it fits just fine, but it's not my thing.

Right trigger + selec is your thing, then.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AltogetherAndrews said:

I don't see how they could cut down on cutscenes without not introducing new enemies and completely jettisoning the story.

Also, I don't see how these cut scenes are shitty. Maybe you're taking it too seriously?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
NIN90 said:
This is the combo i learned the Dodge Offset with:

P P K K K

The last two kicks are weave attacks. So you want to get to those as fast as possible.
The two punches are very quick attacks in this combo so no need to offset them.
But first kick has a really long animation and it doesnt do much damage so it's perfect for Dodge Offset.
So it would look like this:

P P K(HOLD AND DODGE) K K

The Alfheims where you can only use Wicked Weave attacks also help with this.

I know the concept behind a dodge offset. I just don't understand what I'm looking for to see whether im doing it correctly (since there are a couple moves in the game that give you a wicked weave sooner, depending on your combo).

thetrin said:
I don't see how they could cut down on cutscenes without not introducing new enemies and completely jettisoning the story.

Also, I don't see how these cut scenes are shitty. Maybe you're taking it too seriously?

No, they are just shitty. The story cutscenes seem cheap moreso than original. I'm sure others love them, I don't. And I'm not asking for or suggesting a different format, just stating my position on it. Feels a bit like MGS at times.

Aske

thetrin said:

The aesthetic of the game really seems to rub some people the wrong way. I'm just glad some of those people, like AA, bought the game and are enjoying the combat in spite of it.

thetrin

AltogetherAndrews said:
No, they are just shitty. The story cutscenes seem cheap moreso than original. I'm sure others love them, I don't. And I'm not asking for or suggesting a different format, just stating my position on it. Feels a bit like MGS at times.

Are those the good times or the bad times? I'm confused.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
AltogetherAndrews said:
Skip them. Don't let something as silly at cutscenes rob you from the incredible gameplay.

thetrin

Aske said:
The aesthetic of the game really seems to rub some people the wrong way. I'm just glad some of those people, like AA, bought the game and are enjoying the combat in spite of it.

No doubt. This is just one of those times where I'm looking at it, and wondering what people are disliking about it. I find the art design awesome (
except for those vaguely masturbating angels that transformed from Bayonetta clones...that was kinda weird
)

Aske

thetrin said:
I know the concept behind a dodge offset. I just don't understand what I'm looking for to see whether im doing it correctly (since there are a couple moves in the game that give you a wicked weave sooner, depending on your combo).

Practise it with Scarborough Fair, and you'll see her fire a string of bullets as she dodges. That'll at least show you you're holding down the button correctly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SecretBonusPoint said:
Infinite Climax mode is just...mentally draining :lol Dunno where to start looking for the last 2 Treasure Chests I need, and having to go through a walkthrough would be tedious. And my first attempt at platinum running the Space Harrier segment failed to Gold, as my button mashing arm is SPENT.
just hold down the button and do it on Easy. ;)

SecretBonusPoint said:
there's a way to tell how many you missed?

thetrin

Aske said:
Practise it with Scarborough Fair, and you'll see her fire a string of bullets as she dodges. That'll at least show you you're holding down the button correctly.

Oh, is THAT what dodge offset does? I do that all the time. WTF.

Slurmer

Banned
so im thinking about selling off my 360 after beating this game, but will have a hard time parting with Bayonetta. Is the difference between PS3 and 360 versions really that substantial from a gameplay standpoint?

Aske

AltogetherAndrews said:

Oh - you mean the still cutscenes are a bit like MGS radio conversations? They're definitely examples of the game's budget limitations. Platinum were working with what they had. I don't mind them, but I'd have liked to see a few of the more action packed ones replaced with full motion cutscenes in an ideal world. I think Team Little Angels were extremely smart in the way they spread their resources. The game is extremely polished overall, and the cutscenes are one of very few design choices that highlight the fact that this is a budget game. The whole thing feels very Suda51 to me.

thetrin said:
Oh, is THAT what dodge offset does? I do that all the time. WTF.

That's it! It's just like slipping in a dodge during a charge move mid-combo.

Chao

Game arrived today.
While watching the first action cutscene (nun ass cheeks and all) and playing the prologue, this was the look on my face:
fykf7p.jpg

Man, I couldn't stop smiling the game is awesome.

thetrin

Aske said:
That's it! It's just like slipping in a dodge during a charge move mid-combo.

See, describing it that way makes a LOT of sense.

Aske said:
The whole thing feels very Suda51 to me.

If Suda51 had WAY more funding than he normally has. The only Suda game that I would say plays and looks like it had appropriate funding was Killer 7.

kiun

Slurmer said:
so im thinking about selling off my 360 after beating this game, but will have a hard time parting with Bayonetta. Is the difference between PS3 and 360 versions really that substantial from a gameplay standpoint?

Load time seems horrible on ps3. Check some youtube vids.

Blueblur1

Chao said:
Game arrived today.
While watching the first action cutscene (nun ass cheeks and all) and playing the prologue, this was the look on my face:
http://i36.tinypic.com/fykf7p.jpg[IMG]

Man, I couldn't stop smiling the game is awesome.[/QUOTE]
:lol :lol

Fugu

Slurmer said:
Gameplay no, but you're going to spend at least double the amount of time at the loading screen.

Jack Random said:
there's a way to tell how many you missed?

I am 1 broken heart and 1 half-pearl off of my next upgrade, so I'm assuming that I only require 2 chests. Any ideas? I've found some of the pretty out of the way ones like the ones on angel platforms in the middle of nowhere requiring Crow to get to, but clearly 2 have evaded me on like...3 runthroughs now.

Holy shit, I've gone through this game 3 times now. I... never do that :lol

SecretBonusPoint said:
I am 1 broken heart and 1 half-pearl off of my next upgrade, so I'm assuming that I only require 2 chests. Any ideas? I've found some of the pretty out of the way ones like the ones on angel platforms in the middle of nowhere requiring Crow to get to, but clearly 2 have evaded me on like...3 runthroughs now.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=193882

Just go down the list on normal.

Peff

SecretBonusPoint said:

I think they're probably related to the OutRun/Afterburner levels. On Chapter VIII
go to the right of the second bridge so you go up and get the piece of heart that is in the structure, and later on when you finish the first tunnel from verse 4 keep on the right side until you can go right to a different path
and on Chapter XIV
Every time you get to actually fight enemies, finish the segment with a Torture Attack.

ah wait, they wouldnt count for the Treasure Chest achievement I'm guessing. Balls, through the list it is.

Just cheesed the Afterburner one on Easy as Rez said and...wow. Easy mode is...weird. There are people on GAF playing this mode? Really? It like... auto-combos everything and Bat-withins any attack :lol

Peff

SecretBonusPoint said:
ah wait, they wouldnt count for the Treasure Chest achievement I'm guessing.

Oh... true, but it proves the number of updates isn't a lock either :lol The chests it took me longer to find (if you want to begin with them) are these three:

CHEST # 35 – BWH #29 (chapter X)
Head back to the Gates of Hell portal and smash the wall behind it. Move a bit back and use the Panther form to reach the platform in front of you. Do not fall down or you will not be able to get back there.

CHEST #37 – Magic Flute (Chapter XII)
Some steps ahead from where you found the last chest, there is a breakable door to the left.

CHEST #40 – BWH #36 (Chapter XV)
As the level starts go to the right and use Panther form to reach the area ahead . On the Left side is the chest.

It won't take too long to find them all, but careful with the silly hidden ones like the one on the bridge in chapter 2

mattso

Fimbulvetr said:
Wouldn't that imply that someone only used the game?

We must find this person and beat them senseless.

I got it with gamestop's deal this week. Traded in odst and got this for 20 bucks. The guy even made a comment how odst is only supposed to be worth 20 in store credit but this deal doubled it.

Ultimo hombre said:
Don't. Peformance is better off disc. Install to HDD causes additional tearing and slowdowns.
The fan noise is always annoying to me so I guess I will try it on the hdd since I've already started and if it is a real nuisance deal with the fan instead

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
SecretBonusPoint said:
ah wait, they wouldnt count for the Treasure Chest achievement I'm guessing. Balls, through the list it is.

Just cheesed the Afterburner one on Easy as Rez said and...wow. Easy mode is...weird. There are people on GAF playing this mode? Really? It like... auto-combos everything and Bat-withins any attack :lol
I remember an old Bayonetta thread where easy mode was affectionately called 'masturbation mode' :lol

Agyar

Ultimo hombre said:
Don't. Peformance is better off disc. Install to HDD causes additional tearing and slowdowns.

Is this confirmed? I have it installed and have noticed occassional framerate slowdowns but they have been few and far between.

jvalioli

Ultimo hombre said:
Wait really?

I played through the entire game installed; lots of tearing but no slowdowns.

I personally LOVE the bit of cutscenes where characters aren't necessarily animated, but talking. Almost like an animated still photo. They remind me a lot of the Folklore cutscenes which I fucking love to death. Comic book style or something. Just so damn cool.

Jeanne is one of my new favourite rival characters. Some of her lines are perfectly delivered like "Whats the matter sweetie? Afraid of something are we?" and her badass cutscenes of death escapes :lol

Not sure if I can be arsed with the treasure chests, seems a bit too much like hard-work as I just went through a couple of levels and I'd already got them :/

Good god, just beat Climax mode and thought I'd attempt the lost chapter. I'm already furious at it, I totally flopped on the first golum fight somehow and I really can't be arsed and do the half hour of easy combat that got me there right now. Really wish it just auto-saved after each verse.

Finally got my hands on this piece of gaming bliss, and got through Chapter II...Holy WHAT THE WHAT. Every time I see a huge boss character I'm thinking, "Cotdamn does the game remember I'm only 3 hours in?" Amazing.

Grooski

Banned
Picked up the PS3 version yesterday as my XB is in repairs. Tentatively loaded into the machine and was surprised. The game isn't as bad on it as people made out. It isn't as good as its cousin, but its not a total crap out.

Don't get me wrong - the cutscenes are a dogs breakfast, but during action scenes, its not too shabby. Framerate skips around at times, but for the most part it is not getting in the way of timing combos, so its fine.

I would suggest if you are a PS3 owner, pick this shit up. Forget the "punish a bad port" tards and play it. Its damn fun.

eso76

Shito said:
What?
This game has the most cleverly placed checkpoints of the genre: it saves your position so often this is why the game is so much easier than NG1 or DMC3.

No. Well, i am not talking about them making the game too hard, i just don't think being defeated by a boss (several times :/) and having to walk 30 seconds through an empty corridor again, triggering a cutscene (insta skip helps, but it still takes too long !) and walking some more each time is clever checkpoint placing.

Maybe i noticed because i still die too much? I consider myself very good at DMC and a rather awesome NG Black player, but there's still something about Bayonetta i don't get, apparently. I just completed chapter 14 and i feel i should start over, because i didn't play the game the way it was meant to. I'm fine with dodging and getting into WT each time i want to, but i still get my ass kicked far too often.

Top Bottom