• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
I liked the demo a lot, but Giant Bomb's video review has totally sold me on this game. It does look absolutely batshit insane, and although these games aren't usually my thing, I do love me some Devil May Cry so I think it's a pretty safe bet. I can't really pass up on an experience this random.

The overly sexualisation of Bayonetta is probably going to be one of the main things that I have to overcome, as it seems like a really weird thing to do. Everytime I see her get naked I can just imagine some weird Otaku gut getting off on it - I totally understand what Arthur was talking about on RebelFM, now. The music didn't really work for me in the demo, either, but it did fit the fights quite well.

But yeah, I'll pick it up in a few weeks. :)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Foliorum Viridum said:
The overly sexualisation of Bayonetta is probably going to be one of the main things that I have to overcome, as it seems like a really weird thing to do. Everytime I see her get naked I can just imagine some weird Otaku gut getting off on it - I totally understand what Arthur was talking about on RebelFM, now.

I hope bringing that up won't turn the thread to a shitfest but the way the character is portrayed in the game, her oversexuallisation works more as empowerement than exploitation.

Where Dante was the ultimate violent badass dude, Bayonetta is the ultimate badass sexy gal. She's sexy, knows it and uses it to mess with the males around her.

Though the opening cinematic did have me rolling eyes :lol

Zertez

ZephyrFate said:
PKP with Shuraba. Let the first two attacks miss and just have the giant sword swing slice through bitches. You should be hitting both Fairness' at the same time with each of those Wicked Weaves.
Thanks got a pp medal on first try. For some reason I did not think the black slash counted as a weave.

Mistouze said:
I hope bringing that up won't turn the thread to a shitfest but the way the character is portrayed in the game, her oversexuallisation works more as empowerement than exploitation.

Where Dante was the ultimate violent badass dude, Bayonetta is the ultimate badass sexy gal. She's sexy, knows it and uses it to mess with the males around her.

Though the opening cinematic did have me rolling eyes :lol
Fair enough, if that's the case. There's just something about it that creeps me out, it seems really... seedy.

But I'm not trolling, and this is based off a video review and the demo, so yeah. :)

george_us

Foliorum Viridum said:
The overly sexualisation of Bayonetta is probably going to be one of the main things that I have to overcome, as it seems like a really weird thing to do. Everytime I see her get naked I can just imagine some weird Otaku gut getting off on it - I totally understand what Arthur was talking about on RebelFM, now.
Why are you picturing weird Otakus masterbating?

Christ people, it's not like Bayonetta's hitting things with giant strap-ons or some shit. The overt sexuality is what makes Bayonetta's character, and the game period, so hilarious.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Fair enough, if that's the case. There's just something about it that creeps me out, it seems really... seedy.

But I'm not trolling, and this is based off a video review and the demo, so yeah. :)

You really do get used to it, and honestly, you don't see any sort of compromising nudity. Maybe some cheek once or twice, but it's so in-character that you don't even notice any of it. You'll see that the character Bayonetta has a lot more depth than you first think.

george_us said:
Why are you picturing weird Otakus masterbating?

Christ people, it's not like Bayonetta's hitting things with giant strap-ons or some shit. The overt sexuality is what makes Bayonetta's character, and the game period, so hilarious.

:lol :lol So true. The exploitation is so over exaggerated that it helps in making the game that much more hilarious! If there is one thing people seem to be sensitive to it's sex, what the hell? For me personally, I try to take everything in context; all the different elements. It's funny has the suggestive poses/nude skin seem to bother people more than the over-the-top torture attack moves and the excessive "gore" if you will. I'm not trying to criticize anyone, just a general perspective.

Yeah, it's not that I'm sensitive to nudity/sex or anything (can any 19 year old male? :p), it's just that from the small bits of the game I've seen it seems like a choice that was made to appeal to the same type of people who look at naked Anime drawings all day, rather than something to compliment the attitude of the character.

Clearly by what you guys are saying my perspective could very well change after seeing it in context. :)

NG28

After using it for a quick fight before quitting for the night, I've decided that
lt. kilgore
is awesome. Is equipping them on hands and feet even more awesome? If so I might buy the alt next.

edit - what button combo with the whip drags people toward me?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The sexuality is intentionally exaggerated for comedic effect. Bayonetta is, in some ways, less sexualized than your average videogame female because it is all over the top and silly. Regardless, you'll probably ignore it after about 30 minutes and focus on the gameplay.

Blueblur1

ravien56 said:
Even doing Hard difficulty, I'm having troubles on the prologue chapter because of those Daruga bastards, I can't dodge them enough to get 3 torture attacks.
That's where I died on my most recent attempt.

I think I've become insane, just spent two hours attempting to beat the secret boss. In one instance I was one pillow talk charge away from beating him and I still don't feel annoyed by flopping hard. I'm broken :(

Alrighty got 1000/1000 and I'm taking a well-deserved break already.

Whoo got a lightsaber

Supposed to go make a bunch of halos but ehhh I'm not in the mood right now. 30 hours on a single game in about a week nearly kills me.

Well, it took 8 years but now I finally have a new, "Shinobi". I think it's the best action game on the market bar none. The control is silky smooth, the music rocks, the action doesn't let up... I could go on for a while about this game, most of which has already been said by others in the thread, so I don't need to say much at all other than...

Sega, how about you give the next Shinobi to Team Little Angels? From the love and care that was put into Bayonetta, I'm pretty sure it would be in good hands. Besides, Hideki Kamiya seems to be a Sega super fan, so I'm sure he wouldn't shit all over it.

I cannot wait to see what Platinum games has planned for all of us in the future.

burgerdog

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Alrighty got 1000/1000 and I'm taking a well-deserved break already.

Whoo got a lightsaber

Supposed to go make a bunch of halos but ehhh I'm not in the mood right now. 30 hours on a single game in about a week nearly kills me.
Just do the method that nets you +5 million halos in one run.

remz

edit - what button combo with the whip drags people toward me?
Hold punch after a hit and it should drag them in. you can then backhand them a bit once they're close, or hold back while you drag them and you can throw them around. :D

Ew Platinum Games should stick to doing their own titles.

Last thing I want is a Shinobi game that plays like Bayonetta(or any other Sega IP for that matter).

Beezy

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Ew Platinum Games should stick to doing their own titles.

Last thing I want is a Shinobi game that plays like Bayonetta(or any other Sega IP for that matter).
You say that as if all of Kamiya's or the rest of Platinum's games play similarly.

conman

So now that I'm well into my second playthrough (this time on Hard), I'm finding this game a lot more like a 3D Viewtiful Joe than like DMC.

My initial thoughts were that it was very much in line with DMC, but as I've experimented with more of the techniques and items, I'm finding more and more technique/strategy similarities to Viewtiful Joe. At first I thought it was just Witch Time (which is totally like the slow mo dodge technique in VJ), but as I experiment with more stuff, I'm finding more and more similar techniques.

Gonna have to break the old Gamecube disc of VJ out after I finish with this Hard run. :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, it's not that I'm sensitive to nudity/sex or anything (can any 19 year old male? :p), it's just that from the small bits of the game I've seen it seems like a choice that was made to appeal to the same type of people who look at naked Anime drawings all day, rather than something to compliment the attitude of the character.

Clearly by what you guys are saying my perspective could very well change after seeing it in context. :)
Try reading this article on the subject, I think it covers things pretty well:

As gamers, we don't always pick up a controller and immediately expect that the character on screen will be a representation of ourselves -- if we did, then it's possible that the overblown macho male characters we see in games with impossible strength and unbelievable musculature would offend male gamers. We must not assume that female players are so fragile that they view a stylized female body as a personal affront.

To prohibit a character like Bayonetta, and rush to cover her up in disapproval, is a rejection of her particular brand of femininity. Why do that? Because she makes men uncomfortable? If men feel uncomfortable with Bayonetta, maybe that means she succeeds.

As a woman, I haven't often been satisfied by female character options that effectively boil down to "the same thing as a man, just with breasts and a ponytail." Thanks to its innovative approach to the idea of female power, Bayonetta is the first action game heroine that's made me directly conscious of how cool it is to be a girl.

I already know that women can do all the same things men can. This time, I get to see a woman do plenty of things men can't. And I love it.

Aske

george_us said:
Christ people, it's not like Bayonetta's hitting things with giant strap-ons or some shit.

Damn. Giant strap-on was my first guess for the kind of weapon Pillow Talk is.

Zertez

Guys seem to be more sensitive and offended by the game/character than women are, in my experiences. Out of the 4 women I know who play games and my gf, all of them love the bayonetta character.

They say it is refreshing to see a kickass woman who is also sexy and smart. Female characters tend to be dumb boobs with legs or the weak homely type. I just find it odd the only people I've heard talking about being uncomfortable with bayonetta are guys. It is ok for women to show off their sexy side.

Even taking away all the sexuality from Bayonetta, she's one of my favorite characters in years.

She's witty, capable, motivated.

In a way, she's kind of the female version of Viewtiful Joe. Different degrees, certainly, but they both kind of take things to illogical ends.

Damn, Hard is hard [for me] :lol I can't believe there are those red/blue dudes on the prologue! They've definitely been my biggest obstacle, along with their other variation.

I beat it on Normal, finally, and tried on Hard but stopped on the second part of the prologue...I couldn't land Torture Attacks at all :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ShockingAlberto said:
Even taking away all the sexuality from Bayonetta, she's one of my favorite characters in years.

She's witty, capable, motivated.

In a way, she's kind of the female version of Viewtiful Joe. Different degrees, certainly, but they both kind of take things to illogical ends.

I don't really understand the discomfort about the game's sexuality. Bayonetta is a capable, strong, and smart character. If anything, I have a feeling women would feel more comfortable with her as a main character than guys. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Started playing the game in earnest tonight.

The game is really good, but I have two principal complaints.

1.) The game is really bad about collectibles. Umbrum Tears, hearts, pearls, concoction ingredients, LPs, umbrum resting places, etc. Too much shit to scour the environment for. Plus all the alfeim portals can be ridiculous to try and find.

2.) Speaking of alfeim portals, these things are bullshit. I have to backtrack after every fight hoping to find one, and even then I'll miss one or two. When I do find one, they're stupidly hard. I eventually gave up on the Wicked Weave challenge in Chapter 3. I wasn't even getting close to beating that one.

I have to try and beat my achievement whore inside me, because these things are ruining my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i find that the people who generally take issue with Bayonetta's sexuality are the reactionary disgruntled white arts student types taking a stance because they feel it's, like, the right thing to do, man. women, are, like, not objects, and all that, you, uh, know?

not that I can talk, because I'm, like, totally a white arts (well, music) student, man.

ZealousD said:

1.) The game is really bad about collectibles. Umbrum Tears, hearts, pearls, concoction ingredients, LPs, umbrum resting places, etc. Too much shit to scour the environment for. Plus all the alfeim portals can be ridiculous to try and find.

2.) Speaking of alfeim portals, these things are bullshit. I have to backtrack after every fight hoping to find one, and even then I'll miss one or two. When I do find one, they're stupidly hard. I eventually gave up on the Wicked Weave challenge in Chapter 3. I wasn't even getting close to beating that one.

I have to try and beat my achievement whore inside me, because these things are ruining my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic game.
if it's your first time through, then STOP IT!

accept that you're might miss things and might occasionally get a stone award at the end of a level. play for fun before you play for sport.

ZealousD said:

My advice is to not worry about that until a second playthrough.

Alfheim Portals in particular. A lot of those are greatly aided by items you likely don't have.

Kreed

Archie said:
The vehicle levels are twice as long as they should be. If they were one verse each, they wouldn't be nearly as tedious.

Levels? Plural? I was hoping it was a one time thing.

manzo said:
After a few hours with Bayonetta, I took a small break and tried out Dante's Inferno.

Oh god

This happened to me also when I tried out both demos at the same time before Bayonetta was released. I thought Dante's Inferno was an enjoyable game but there was no comparison.

conman

thetrin said:
I have a feeling women would feel more comfortable with her as a main character than guys. :lol
Exactly. Look at who's complaining. For some reason, her version of sexuality is making some men uncomfortable.

ok, i just finished chapter 3, and at the final awards screen all of my medals show up but there are sill some blank spaces left. Are these hidden areas that i missed?

conman said:
Exactly. Look at who's complaining. For some reason, her version of sexuality is making some men uncomfortable.
Well, as the article suggested, that's probably part of the point.

Look at all her interactions with
Luka
. She doesn't dominate him with her fighting power, but by toying with him with her sexuality. It's the female equivalent of all those scenes where a fairly weak and unrealistic female character is trying to get a male to open up and he shows off his masculinity by refusing and turning away.

Fugu

Did anyone else find that after playing the whole game without witch time that it felt weird to play the game with witch time?

Monocle

Korey said:
From Kamiya's notebook:
Ideas for Game Finale
Ride a motorcycle up the side of a rocket in space to fight God.
Ride a motorcycle up the side of a rocket in space to fight God and then punch her across the solar system into the sun.
I dunno, I think he made a pretty reasonable choice here
Awesome. :lol

Aske

Fugu said:
Did anyone else find that after playing the whole game without witch time that it felt weird to play the game with witch time?

I'm midway through my second playthrough on Hard, and despite having never played the game without it, I still find Witch Time a little weird. Totally fun, but it's an extra set of training wheels I don't need. I'm really looking forward to playing Ultimate Climax mode and getting more of a challenge, as well as playing with Jeanne who sounds like she relies less on constant WT.

I think I'm just too used to DMC and NG, because while I'm not an elite player I've always felt very comfortable with Bayonetta's combat. It feels like a clean blend of the two combat styles - NG's lock-on-free dash-and-slash and dial-a-combo mixed with DMC's R1 modifiers and freeform combat. I've yet to get a Platinum award at the end of a chapter and I bailed on most of the Alfheim challenges when I stumbled into them, but the actual Hard campaign really hasn't been hard for me with the exception of Jeanne. Just about to fight her on the plane, and besides the flashback fight with her it's been a cakewalk. I die, but I don't get stuck. I continue, my lifebar refills, and that's all I need to get over the hump. I'm still not bothering with items. I'm not used to just working my way through a Hard mode in an action game without coming up against constant roadblocks. I think I'll jump straight into the final difficulty before I start serious attempts at the Alfheims, the 3 hour run, or maxing out my Platinum score to unlock Jeanne.

I'm loving this game because it's fun as hell, but it doesn't topple DMC 1 and NG 2 from the top of my favourite action game lists.

Shito

Aske said:
I'm loving this game because it's fun as hell, but it doesn't topple DMC 1 and NG 2 from the top of my favourite action game lists.
NG 2?
Odd choice, there.

On the "I die, but I don't get stuck" subject, I'd say a lot of it comes from the generous checkpoints: when you die you don't have to redo a huge portion of the level, like it's usually the case in this genre, but you start again at the beginning of the fight you just lost, with full life.
I think what they did is quite clever: they shifted the "hardcore" factor of the game from just playing the game to playing it well (aka, with a good score). With a little patience and dedication anyone can beat Bayonetta on any difficulty, but getting good rankings, well that's another story.

Monocle

ravien56 said:
So what does Gaze of Despair do? Also, what other accessories are essential? Also, any pro tips for beating those crazy demon hands?
Gaze of Despair auto-taunts every enemy onscreen, making them more aggressive and increasing the point value of all the attacks that hit them.

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is the most useful accessory by far. When you get good at it, the ability to block or counter enemy attacks will save your life more times than you can count (especially if you use it to cover yourself during your recovery animations—after a mistimed dodge, for example). Selene's Light is useful for when you're still learning how to activate Witch Time without getting hit. Star of Dineta will let you slowly replenish your health by taunting. Buy it only if you find yourself taking a lot of damage regularly. Use it on the last enemy in an encounter. The Evil Harvest Rosary is essential for harder modes and enemies that disable Witch Time. Finally, make sure to save up 200k for the Bracelet of Time so you can buy it as soon as you unlock it.

Before you think about purchasing accessories, you should make sure to obtain a few essential techniques. Get Air Dodge, Stiletto and Bat Within ASAP. Later on, consider Crow Within and Tetsuzanko.

The Golem is easiest to defeat in hands form because it claps with a predictable rhythm, which makes dodging a breeze. If you stay in the right range, you can get it to attack as the hands most of the time. It should take no more than three Witch Time combos to kill.

Is there a way to find out what levels you haven't discovered witch hearts yet? I'm missing two.. and I could have sword I found them all o_o.

I definitely have everything from the Alfheims because I got the achievement for completing them all so.

Monocle

Dabookerman said:
Is there a way to find out what levels you haven't discovered witch hearts yet? I'm missing two.. and I could have sword I found them all o_o.

I definitely have everything from the Alfheims because I got the achievement for completing them all so.
There are a couple in each of the vehicle levels, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Did you check those?

Top Bottom