• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

ravien56

Monocle said:
Gaze of Despair auto-taunts every enemy onscreen, making them more aggressive and increasing the point value of all the attacks that hit them.

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is the most useful accessory by far. When you get good at it, the ability to block or counter enemy attacks will save your life more times than you can count (especially if you use it to cover yourself during your recovery animations—after a mistimed dodge, for example). Selene's Light is useful for when you're still learning how to activate Witch Time without getting hit. Star of Dineta will let you slowly replenish your health by taunting. Buy it only if you find yourself taking a lot of damage regularly. Use it on the last enemy in an encounter. The Evil Harvest Rosary is essential for harder modes and enemies that disable Witch Time. Finally, make sure to save up 200k for the Bracelet of Time so you can buy it as soon as you unlock it.

Before you think about purchasing accessories, you should make sure to obtain a few essential techniques. Get Air Dodge, Stiletto and Bat Within ASAP. Later on, consider Crow Within and Tetsuzanko.

The Golem is easiest to defeat in hands form because it claps with a predictable rhythm, which makes dodging a breeze. If you stay in the right range, you can get it to attack as the hands most of the time. It should take no more than three Witch Time combos to kill.
Thanks for the tips, few questions. First, I completely fucked up describing the enemy giving me trouble. Its the demons called Daruga I think? They come in pairs and they do crazy damage. I can't even pass the prologue because of these fuckers on hard and they gave me troubles on Normal difficulty. What is the best accessory for hard and maybe later on climax difficulty? Also, Selene's light would be completely useless on climax difficulty because no witch time right? Also, so gaze of despair is just used for farming halos? Also, what does the bracelet of time do? One more, what is immortal marrionettes? The game does kind of a shitty job describing what items do.

When redoing levels to get a platinum do I have to do the alfheims again? In order to keep my level time down I am basically having to exit to the title screen everytime I mess up and some of these alfheims are difficult.

PJX

Shito said:
NG 2?
Odd choice, there.

Opinion?

Anyway this game is bad ass. I love it and I haven't stopped playing it since I got it last Friday. I must admit I was skeptical when it was first announced and the first few screens turned me off. Glad it didn't turn me off completely from the game. It's one of the top 5 action games for me.

Ninja Gaiden Black
Ninja Gaiden II
Bayonetta
Devil May Cry 1
Devil May Cry 3

Shito

PJX said:
Of course, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a little odd to be prefering NG2 to NG1/B. ^^
You have all the rights in the world to do so, but objectively speaking it's hard to argue that NG2 is the better game.

PJX

Shito said:
Of course, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a little odd to be prefering NG2 to NG1/B. ^^
You have all the rights in the world to do so, but objectively speaking it's hard to argue that NG2 is the better game.

if you are speaking on a technical term then yes I would agree it is hard to argue. If you are speaking on preference of gameplay, level design and everything else then yes it can be argued why one prefers one of the other.

Not trying to crap up the thread but I just wonder why people always have to judge someone's opinion of a game.

So I found the last heart pieces, now I'm maxed out.. but.. No achievement -_-.

Turns out I need to open up all the chests. GRRRRR.

Thankfully very few contain random items.

Shito

PJX said:
If you are speaking on preference of gameplay, level design and everything else then yes it can be argued why one prefers one of the other.
I'm not speaking about preference, as I clearly said that anyone could prefer any game to any other one if he so does want to.
All I'm saying is that objectively speaking, when taking aside preferences, NG1/B is better than NG2, as the late one suffers from poor game design decisions and execution.
But, once again so to make it totally clear: you have all the the rights in the world to prefer NG2. Just as much as I have the right to find it a bit odd. ^^

But yeah, my initial reaction had more to do with surprise than some sort of judgement, and I didn't want to derail anything neither.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I suck.

I mean, replaying this, I know I'm doing great. Getting golds and plats left and right. So far, no enemy can stand up against me. However, I am painfully aware how little of the combat system I actually mastered. I wasn't aware of Dodge offset until I already beat the game, and my battle play was typically mash P and/or K, dodge if there is an attack, resume mashing. I mix up P's and K's. but I never pause, I don't really plan out attacks to end with Wicked Weave (I just hope they happen in whatever combo I'm doing) and I find it extremely difficult to utilize dodge offset instinctively.

What is the best way to practice these skills?

And while I'm here, how do I unlock that 3rd slot for accessories, how do I unlock the rest of Rodin's treasures (I'm missing 2), and how do I unlock the last of the accessories in the shop?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Clown_im_OP said:
Okay, Alfheim 12
"Use Torture Attacks"
on hard broke me, had to do that one on normal difficulty.
Does it matter in which setting I complete them to get the
secret chapter
? Do I have to complete them all on normal, respectively hard, or can I mix it up?
Anyone? I'd really like to know if I'm wasting my time :lol

diss

Banned
Generic said:
I mean, replaying this, I know I'm doing great. Getting golds and plats left and right. So far, no enemy can stand up against me. However, I am painfully aware how little of the combat system I actually mastered. I wasn't aware of Dodge offset until I already beat the game, and my battle play was typically mash P and/or K, dodge if there is an attack, resume mashing. I mix up P's and K's. but I never pause, I don't really plan out attacks to end with Wicked Weave (I just hope they happen in whatever combo I'm doing)
What!? Really? I try my hardest to carefully play out the battles and try to pull off moves on purpose and I always end up with the stone award at the end of the chapter :p Goddammit!

Mohonky

I'm continually getting my ass raped now. I think I need to go back and start the game again. I've missed tonnes of areas like Alfeim or whatever areas and I don't think I have enough life to really continual struggling on, I'm always out of health after every fight and I've got nothing to concoct.

Also, fuck these Alfeim or whatever stages. Kill 2 of those whatever they are fuckers with 10punches and 7 kicks only. Are you serious? How the fuck do you do that?

[Edit] Do you keep items for your second playthrough or do you go right back to the start again just at a higher difficulty?

Also, how do you do a dodge offset?

Mohonky said:
I'm continually getting my ass raped now. I think I need to go back and start the game again. I've missed tonnes of areas like Alfeim or whatever areas and I don't think I have enough life to really continual struggling on, I'm always out of health after every fight and I've got nothing to concoct.

Also, fuck these Alfeim or whatever stages. Kill 2 of those whatever they are fuckers with 10punches and 7 kicks only. Are you serious? How the fuck do you do that?

This is exactly the experience i'm having, but damn this game is awesome, i've just started doing chapers again to farm Halos and try to get better at the combat.

I have this nagging feeling that I'm missing some element to this game and I'm never too sure what i'm doing, but I love it!

Veelk

Banned
diss said:
What!? Really? I try my hardest to carefully play out the battles and try to pull off moves on purpose and I always end up with the stone award at the end of the chapter :p Goddammit!

Is this your first time through? If so, don't worry about it. If not, then still don't worry about it as you are simply adjusting to a more sophisticated playstyle. Which is what I'm trying to do, but I just can't get out of my habit of simply mashing. It works, but I realize it's a very ineffective way of playing, so I'm trying to improve. So, that's why I came here, so some totally awesome gaffer will show me the way, maybe how I can directly practice Offset and control my combos

LiK

Mohonky said:

[Edit] Do you keep items for your second playthrough or do you go right back to the start again just at a higher difficulty?

You can change difficulty whenever you want before you start a chapter and you keep everything for multiple playthroughs. The system is similar to RE5 which makes the game fun, imo.

If you're struggling, just replay an older chapter to farm halos for items to help you out.

As for Alfeims, I skipped all of them during my first playthrough. They are not necessary to beat Normal or lower.

Mohonky

LiK said:
You can change difficulty whenever you want before you start a chapter and you keep everything for multiple playthroughs. The system is similar to RE5 which makes the game fun, imo.

If you're struggling, just replay an older chapter to farm halos for items to help you out.

As for Alfeims, I skipped all of them during my first playthrough. They are not necessary to beat Normal or lower.

Cheers.

What I might do is just ride it out on Normal playthrough and not worry about shit like the Alfeims (it annoys me not being able to do them at this time though, simply because I hate not being able to do something first go) and work on just getting better at the main combat in this game. I'm getting it more and more but I still feel like I'm mashing, evade for witch time and mashing again.

Whats this about Dodge Offset though?

Cowie

Alright, so I really hate these gold mother fuckers when playing in hard. Attacking them without Witch Time is suicidal, and it very rarely triggers if at all, be it off of dodges or parries. halp plz.

LiK

Mohonky said:
Cheers.

What I might do is just ride it out on Normal playthrough and not worry about shit like the Alfeims (it annoys me not being able to do them at this time though, simply because I hate not being able to do something first go) and work on just getting better at the main combat in this game. I'm getting it more and more but I still feel like I'm mashing, evade for witch time and mashing again.

From what I read, dodge offset is when you dodge while holding an attack button to keep your combo up. I haven't mastered this technique myself for the achievement.

ravien56

Mohonky said:
Cheers.

Where you can continue your combo while dodging by holding down the button that you last hit then dodging an attack then continuing. I still cant do this correctly even after beating the game, maybe its the way im holding the controller but I always get it mixed up where ill end up holding the RT.

Cowie said:
Alright, so I really hate these gold mother fuckers when playing in hard. Attacking them without Witch Time is suicidal, and it very rarely triggers if at all, be it off of dodges or parries. halp plz.
Equip Onyx Alts., those accessory beads that do a magic attack when you dodge, and go to town.

Going on total offense with them is a bad idea.

Draft

LiK said:
From what I read, dodge offset is when you dodge while holding an attack button to keep your combo up. I haven't mastered this technique myself for the achievement.
You can get that achievement in the loading screen training room.

NIN90

Mohonky said:

You mean the big ones? Here's how I did it:

Equip guns on your hands and feet.
Toggle witch time.
Now in witch time execute this combo: P K P
BUT you need to hold the buttons after the attack animation so Bayonetta keeps shooting at the enemy.
This will deplete about one half of the health gauge.

Cowie

ShockingAlberto said:
Equip Onyx Alts., those accessory beads that do a magic attack when you dodge, and go to town.

Going on total offense with them is a bad idea.

thanks! Looks like I've got some halo farming to do.

Mohonky said:

Yes you keep everything when you start a new game

Dodge offset ex: PPPK combo ---> PP(Hold the 3rd P down before pressing R2) as the dodge animation ends press kick (K) and it should finish the combo with wicked weave instead of restarting the combo.

Once you get the hang of it you should be able to dodge offset anywhere within the combo.

Minamu

NIN90 said:

Toggle witch time.
BUT you need to hold the buttons after the attack animation so Bayonetta keeps shooting at the enemy.
You can also do the same with Durgas on both feet & arms. Explosives ftw :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Going to start the last regular chapter of the game tonight.

I don't think I'm going to get 1000 on this game (I rarely do), but I sure am loving the game. If I have time before I pick up Darksiders, I'm definitely going to play this on Hard.

Mohonky

NIN90 said:

Toggle witch time.

Nah not those ones. The two really fast creatures that remind me of Lions because of their claws that they stretch out. Usually come in a Red and Blue pair.

Also, toggle witch time? You can't just start witch time without one of those items from Inferno you buy right? You have to evade to start witch time until you buy that item from memory.

LiK

thetrin said:
Going to start the last regular chapter of the game tonight.

I don't think I'm going to get 1000 on this game (I rarely do), but I sure am loving the game. If I have time before I pick up Darksiders, I'm definitely going to play this on Hard.
Hard is such a different beast. Makes Normal feel like a tutorial :lol

NIN90

Mohonky said:
Nah not those ones. The two really fast creatures that remind me of Lions because of their claws that they stretch out. Usually come in a Red and Blue pair.

Also, toggle witch time? You can't just start witch time without one of those items from Inferno you buy right? You have to evade to start witch time until you buy that item from memory.

This strategy also applies to those lions.

And yeah, I meant that you should dodge to toggle witch time. The lions' fireballs are easy to dodge.

Mohonky said:

You mean Fearless and Fairness(most inappropriate name ever)?

I charged the sword while dodging their attacks, I wouldn't suggest that though. It gives you a bad combo rating and if they attack before you charge halfway than you woul't be able to use dodge offset with it.

Does a lot of damage though(like 1/3 or 1/4 of their health in one hit) and depending on your timing/position it can hit both of 'em at once.

PJX

Shito said:
I'm not speaking about preference, as I clearly said that anyone could prefer any game to any other one if he so does want to.
All I'm saying is that objectively speaking, when taking aside preferences, NG1/B is better than NG2, as the late one suffers from poor game design decisions and execution.
But, once again so to make it totally clear: you have all the the rights in the world to prefer NG2. Just as much as I have the right to find it a bit odd. ^^

But yeah, my initial reaction had more to do with surprise than some sort of judgement, and I didn't want to derail anything neither.

Thinking that a game has poor design is more of an opinion an opinion than fact. I personally think the level designs and most fo the bosses were better in NG2 than they were in Black. The gamplay in NG2 blows the gameplay in NGB away. On the technical front NGB is the more pol;ished game.

Overall both games to me are about equal. Technically NGB is the better game, everything else IMO is better on NG2.

Hard is hard... Chapter 8, having 3 gracious and glorious on the road while cars and trucks are also hitting you. No witch time. God that took a lot of tries. I rather fight Jeanne anyday.

Cowie

Ultimo hombre said:
Hard is hard... Chapter 8, having 3 gracious and glorious on the road while cars and trucks are also hitting you. No witch time. God that took a lot of tries. I rather fight Jeanne anyday.

Yeah, that is where I got stuck. Went back to earlier levels and easier difficulty to farm some and try a different approach, and also so as to not punt my 360.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ultimo hombre said:
Do you have the beads yet?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LiK said:
Hard is such a different beast. Makes Normal feel like a tutorial :lol

I've still got a couple achievements to get before I bother with Hard, so we'll see if I even check it out.

Peff

SecretBonusPoint said:
Whats everyones favourite music tracks from the game? All the Jeanne encounter music is absolutely amazing, especially "Blood & Darkness".

I love all of the music with chorus, it's amazing, especially "You May Call Me Father" and "One of a Kind". Really, really set the right mood for those parts. And yep, "Blood & Darkness" is awesome.

Top Bottom