• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I was hoping somebody could fill me in on how I obtain the different weapons. So far I only have Onyx Roses, Scarborough Fair, Shuraba, and Durga. I keep reading about people using other weapons in the earlier chapters, yet I don't have any others? Also, any good place that lists the locations of Afheims?

Also you need to do a bit of exploring. In one of the jumps to Paradiso in chapter 2 or 3 where you first get the hour glass, there was a piece of the LP down in the water underneath/behind the land mass.

I missed it my first play through, but it was enough to form a whole LP getting me yet another weapon to destroy angels with.

Korey said:
You get the weapons by completing the LPs

Yes, I know that. I was just curious if there are "hidden" LPs or something. The only ones I've received so far seem to be on purpose. I must not be looking hard enough?

LiK said:
Check YouTube. The achievementhunter guys posted all the alfeim locations. I'm shocked at how well hidden most of them are.

I'll look into it. I'm also shocked because the levels aren't incredibly large but it's amazing how much I've missed I guess! Thank you.

LiK

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes, I know that. I was just curious if there are "hidden" LPs or something. The only ones I've received so far seem to be on purpose. I must not be looking hard enough?
Yea, there are hidden pieces of other LPs

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

some are just off the beaten path. Like the one I mentioned in the post above. Im sure there are others that may be hidden behind a wall or chest, but a few are out in the open, but may be on the other side of a building or a rooftop you didnt think to scale.

Aske

Shito said:
But yeah, my initial reaction had more to do with surprise than some sort of judgement, and I didn't want to derail anything neither.

I didn't take offense to your post - NG 2 rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I figured someone would throw out a WTF, and didn't mean to start a debate. I just love everything about NG 2, even dodging projectile spam. As frustrating as it can be, it never stopped being a joy to play. NG Black/Sigma didn't capture the same level of awesome for me, though I understand that most people prefer it for its superior polish and different take on the combat. I have the same issue with DMC 3. It's objectively superior to DMC 1 but far less satisfying to me, primarily due to its enemy attack patterns and overall design. Plus Dante's new voice irritates me.

What I love about Bayonetta is that while I might have preferred the campaigns to be slightly tougher, the enemy design is flawless. There's not a single creature or class that isn't an absolute pleasure to encounter. Even Dear and Decorations (the little floating heads) somehow manage to play out as fun encounters, completely avoiding the 'annoying little flying enemy' cliché. These enemies are works of art.

LiK

Just wanted to point out that if you read books about angels, many of the designs for some angels in Bayonetta are inspired by some descriptions in some books. Of course they added their own twist to them.

Aske

LiK said:
Just wanted to point out that if you read books about angels, many of the designs for some angels in Bayonetta are inspired by some descriptions in some books. Of course they added their own twist to them.

I have to say, the bird-like heads really creep me out. Glad there won't be any angels in Valhalla.

123rl

I just finished it on Normal. I'm so impressed with everything about it. It's easily a contender for my personal favourite game of this generation

Korey

Aske said:
I have to say, the bird-like heads really creep me out. Glad there won't be any angels in Valhalla.
So much thought went into the designs. Like the reason they have bird heads is to make them more monster-like so we have no problem splitting them down the middle with a chainsaw.

Aske said:

Trust me, the more human like ones are creepier.

See Grace and Glory with masks shaped like bird faces, see Gracious and Glorious with human faces on their monstrous bodies.

Minamu

Would it be easier to get a good combo score & thus get platinums if I used that bla bla of despair accessory? I'm having a really hard time getting good scores because I can't remember more than 5 attack combos tops in the heat of battle.

Minamu said:
Would it be easier to get a good combo score & thus get platinums if I used that bla bla of despair accessory? I'm having a really hard time getting good scores because I can't remember more than 5 attack combos tops in the heat of battle.

The gaze of despair will increase your combo score, but it also makes the enemies much more aggressive and they aren't as easy to juggle. My combo score increased significantly by using my guns between combo strings (so that the multiplier stays active) and never doing the same combo twice in a row. i think 5 combos should be sufficient for most confrontations and if you change between your A and B equipped items and mix in torture attacks you should be good.

Minamu

the_prime_mover said:
The gaze of despair will increase your combo score, but it also makes the enemies much more aggressive and they aren't as easy to juggle. My combo score increased significantly by using my guns between combo strings (so that the multiplier stays active) and never doing the same combo twice in a row. i think 5 combos should be sufficient for most confrontations and if you change between your A and B equipped items and mix in torture attacks you should be good.
True, I haven't really paid any attention at all to the multipliers so far :lol

Managed to get plat, gold, plat etc on all but one verse on chapter 3 earlier but I died once during the silly QTE so I got a bloody silver trophy at the end. I got pretty upset :lol

Zeliard

PJX said:
Joke post?

A joke post is using the word "polished" to refer to Ninja Gaiden 2, and especially to say that it's more polished than Ninja Gaiden Black. That's some bizarro world shit right there.

PJX

Zeliard said:
A joke post is using the word "polished" to refer to Ninja Gaiden 2, and especially to say that it's more polished than Ninja Gaiden Black. That's some bizarro world shit right there.

I don't think I ever said in any of my post that NG2 was polished when compared to NGB.

Aske said:
I didn't take offense to your post - NG 2 rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I figured someone would throw out a WTF, and didn't mean to start a debate. I just love everything about NG 2, even dodging projectile spam. As frustrating as it can be, it never stopped being a joy to play. NG Black/Sigma didn't capture the same level of awesome for me, though I understand that most people prefer it for its superior polish and different take on the combat. I have the same issue with DMC 3. It's objectively superior to DMC 1 but far less satisfying to me, primarily due to its enemy attack patterns and overall design. Plus Dante's new voice irritates me.

What I love about Bayonetta is that while I might have preferred the campaigns to be slightly tougher, the enemy design is flawless. There's not a single creature or class that isn't an absolute pleasure to encounter. Even Dear and Decorations (the little floating heads) somehow manage to play out as fun encounters, completely avoiding the 'annoying little flying enemy' cliché. These enemies are works of art.

So well put. I genuinely enjoy when those discs show up and new bad guys emerge. It's just so much fun to fight dudes in this game.

I just met the red lady and she's on a motorbike.

The game is pretty cool, but I feel like the pacing is very slow. I honestly just want to fight dudes and it keeps showing pointless cutscenes. Does it get better? :/

Aske

Fimbulvetr said:
Trust me, the more human like ones are creepier.

See Grace and Glory with masks shaped like bird faces, see Gracious and Glorious with human faces on their monstrous bodies.

I don't know why, but the human masks on the various monsters don't creep me out nearly as much as the giant bird heads. Especially in the cutscene
where Bayonetta accuses the angels of cheating on her because Cereza caught their eye, and she smacks one of them around with her handgun.
For some reason that scene highlights the wrongness of dove-like heads on anthropomorphic bodies. They're grotesque aberrations, and I will wipe them out with my ice skates and lightning gloves.

Zeliard

PJX said:
I don't think I ever said in any of my post that NG2 was polished when compared to NGB.

You didn't, no. :p

L0st Id3ntity said:
Just reached ch.6.

I love the combat system, but dislike how the enemies are thrown at you, they don't blend well with the environment, it doesn't make sense, the encounters feel like rounds after rounds, like it's a fighting game. I think this is a kind of game where you'll get more out of it in a NG+, when you fully understand the combat and each enemy's tactic.

I was actually impressed with the enemy encounters in this game, because they all feel like they matter in their own way. Each battle is its own verse, and each verse feels somewhat unique from another due to the specific enemy configurations and the environment you happen to be fighting in.

Ultimately, it all combines to make every enemy encounter in this game feels like its own event, as opposed to a lot of other games in the genre where they just throw a ton of mindless fodder at you to slice through.

Korey

Zeliard said:
You didn't, no. :p

I was actually impressed with the enemy encounters in this game, because they all feel like they matter in their own way. Each battle is its own verse, and each verse feels somewhat unique from another due to the specific enemy configurations and the environment you happen to be fighting in.

Ultimately, it all combines to make every enemy encounter in this game feels like its own event, as opposed to a lot of other games in the genre where they just throw a bunch of mindless fodder at you to slice through.
Agreed..all the chapters except for the vehicle ones seem well paced. Each fight is distinct and there's no sense of "trash mobs" in any given encounter. For example, I can probably remember every encounter I had with grace/glory/gracious/glorious and the exact setting it was in. Also, the wheels...like in that one courtyard where you fight them the first time, and then in the floating house.

The vehicle levels are fun, except chap 8 is glitchy.. and chap 14 is too long. Otherwise it's tolerable. They should really be no more than 5 minutes long.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm wondering if I never fought Gracious and Glorious or if I just didn't realize it was them.

Note, I haven't played the Epilogue yet.
They are the white Grace and Glory that ignore Witch Time.

Dabookerman said:
The vehicle levels are fun, except chap 8 is glitchy.. and chap 14 is too long. Otherwise it's tolerable. They should really be no more than 5 minutes long.

I'm actually quite fond of the motorcycle level. Space Harrier level? Eh.

Archie said:
They are the white Grace and Glory that ignore Witch Time.

Glorious is black.... racist.

Zeliard

Dabookerman said:

Yeah, just prior to playing the bike section in Chapter 8, I went in expecting the worst (especially in terms of stuff like controls).

Turned out it actually controlled pretty nicely. The problem, yeah, is that the section is just way too long and redundant. They barely change anything up, so it becomes very repetitive. Should have been much shorter and it would've been a neat little side thing to change up the flow of gameplay.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fimbulvetr said:
I'm actually quite fond of the motorcycle level. Space Harrier level? Eh.

Glorious is black.... racist.

I actually like the Space Harrier part, but chapter 8 is the one chapter I really don't want to play again. On top of not being very fun, it's also the ugliest and feels the most unpolished to me.

BenjaminBirdie said:
White how? Like not blue and orange? Those are the only colors I ever noticed on them.

Gracious is white, Glorious is black. Their element is light instead of fire and lightning.

You can't use witch time on them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Korey said:
So much thought went into the designs. Like the reason they have bird heads is to make them more monster-like so we have no problem splitting them down the middle with a chainsaw.

Darksiders has more humanlike angels and I doubt anybody cares about killing them. =P

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
_tetsuo_ said:
What accessory do you guys suggest getting first? Im on the 10th chapter and have like 160k halos :lol

I'd say either get the rosary that disables witch time but damages enemies, or keep saving up for the moon of mahaa-kalaa.

ezekial45

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
What accessory do you guys suggest getting first? Im on the 10th chapter and have like 160k halos :lol

I went for Selene's Light. Automatically goes into witch time when you get hit (but uses magic).

Bernbaum

_tetsuo_ said:
Buy moves. Air block is handy if you don't already have it, as well as the Bat Form which gets you an extra half-second window to evade moves and engage witch time.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
_tetsuo_ said:
As others have said, buy air dodge and bat form first. They are virtually essential imo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd buy all the techniques and possibly all of the weapons before I really started looking at accessories.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Bernbaum said:
Buy moves. Air block is handy if you don't already have it, as well as the Bat Form which gets you an extra half-second window to evade moves and engage witch time.

I have all the techniques already. They are the only thing I've bought.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
You mean save up for ALTs?
well, it's up to you, but the alts are certainly more useful to me than the accessories at times. I mean, the accessories are neat, but outside of the counter one (moon of khaal or something, which is a must-buy), they're more for post-game experimentation, I've found. they're certainly not essential to beat the game, whereas buying a second set of Durgas or Rocket Launchers or Shotguns can make your time with the game pretty damn fun if you're into those weapons. :D

Rez said:
well, it's up to you, but the alts are certainly more useful to me than the accessories at times. I mean, the accessories are neat, but outside of the counter one (moon of khaal or something, which is a must-buy), they're more for post-game experimentation, I've found. they're certainly not essential to beat the game, whereas buying a second set of Durgas or Rocket Launchers or Shotguns can make your time with the game pretty damn fun if you're into those weapons. :D

Very good point. I really shouldn't have splurged on that Ice Skater costume.

:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Did anyone try going through most of the game sporting the Durgas on both hands and feet?
not most of the game, but I did for the entire second half of my Normal playthrough, and part of my second Normal playthrough (for collectibles and Alfheims). Two sets of Fire Durgas are deadly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What's this about ALT's now? I am seriously missing a lot of shit. The only weapons I have are the katana and shotgun.

Top Bottom