• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Mr Jared

Chamber said:
Disappearing platforms. Are they kidding me with this shit?

Are talking the scene towards the end where you're sort of ... running vertically along the platforms trying to get to the upside-down silo at the top? That part's pretty easy.. just wait until the platforms reappear near you and then just make your way on over. Then once you're on the other side, you can move along from there around the silo if you have to. The platforms actually disappear fairly slowly.

I decided to jump into the whole sexual debate surrounding Bayonetta, more or less in its defense. Feel free to have a read. In the meantime I'm not sure where to go with the game.. I don't want to do hard mode :lol I hate fighting non-witch time enemies.

Chamber said:
Disappearing platforms. Are they kidding me with this shit?
Crow mode.

Alternatively, just jump around with the panther jump.

You can clear that in like fifteen seconds if you don't worry about platinuming the hidden verse there.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have to turn this off and just do it tomorrow. I know how simple it is and yet I keep fucking up and falling back down to the start.

Fuck me.

EDIT - It just occurred to me that I was fucking myself by double jumping which caused me to lose my "grip" on the platforms. I'm an idiot.

Sh0k

Fyrus said:
How do I use/wear the weapon costumes? Like the ones that say "Perfect match for Durga" ?

Anybody knows the answer ? I've bought all the costumes for the different weapons, but I can't get them to change while playing. The only one I can access are the ones by pressing RB at the Start Game screen.

Roto13

You have to go to your items and set them. They're mostly kinda small differences, like ears or a tail for Durga. I think you might need to be wearing your default costume, too.

Roto13

I just got the Sai-Fon (or whatever) weapon for completing 100 chapters. I kept hearing people raving about how they were nunchucks. Was not expecting them to be gunchucks. :p That's amazing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Slowly going along getting all the alfheims, broken moon pieces, and witch hearts before tackling hard. Managed to Platinum the prolouge through chapter 3 so far, feels pretty awesome when you PP multiple verses in a row. And Draft wasn't kidding about breaking the trash can to make an alfheim appear, wow. Even after you break it the game doesn't even cut to showing it to you, it just appears somewhere else. :lol

Some of them are actually pretty fun, I liked using the angel weapons and the no witch time stuff, but some of these are just retarded. Kill all the angels using weaves where any normal attack is deflected? Uhhh, okay. I ended up getting a silver out of all my PPs, Ps, and Golds which sucked. It ended up mainly being the time I took, because I thought I would need to use longer combos that ended in weaves, guess the game just wanted me to spam PKP...how fun. And despite getting a plat on chapter 3, I still got ripped off with the last verse. The last angel just fell off the bridge and didn't die, yet I couldn't see it/it never came back. Impossible to complete verse, woo.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah the Durga costume doesn't change much.

Does anyone else crash sometimes when loading the "Item" menu? This is the third time today this has happened.. I'd think it was my 360 but it only happens on the "Item" menu. :/

The wicked weave alfheims are really hard if you're using the guns on your hands.

If you have a sword, though, the PKP combo just annihilates everything in the room. It does a lot of damage and kills everything in just a few hits.

Roto13

Wicked Weave alfheims are even more super simple if you have one of those skills that allows you to do an instant Wicked Weave by pressing back, forward, P/K. :p

I was kind of surprised by how easy the alfheims were on normal. The limited punches and kicks ones are intimidating until you realize that Shuraba's charged attack only counts as a single punch. :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only on chapter 3 right now...

What the FUCK am I playing?

I have NO idea what the fuck is going on. I have NO idea why I am where the fuck I am. I have NO idea what the other characters are, why they're doing what they're doing, and why they're helping me.

Fighting is alright, not as stylish as DMC, but the graphics and pacing is better.

I'm not saying the game is total turd. It's obvious a lot of love went into the designs and the world and everything...but...I am disappoint with Famitsu's score and the hype for this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ShockingAlberto said:
The wicked weave alfheims are really hard if you're using the guns on your hands.

If you have a sword, though, the PKP combo just annihilates everything in the room. It does a lot of damage and kills everything in just a few hits.

That's what I ended up doing for most of it, but I thought it would've given a crappy combo score so I tried other longer combos but it was way more trouble than it was worth.

andymcc

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

I have NO idea what the fuck is going on. I have NO idea why I am where the fuck I am. I have NO idea what the other characters are, why they're doing what they're doing, and why they're helping me.

Fighting is alright, not as stylish as DMC, but the graphics and pacing is better.

I'm not saying the game is total turd. It's obvious a lot of love went into the designs and the world and everything...but...I am disappoint with Famitsu's score and the hype for this game.

:lol :lol :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kuro Madoushi said:

What is there possibly to be confused about? Bayonetta is a witch. Witches make a pact with Inferno that they must dispatch angels in order to stay on earth. She's trying to recover her memories. Those that help her probably get paid pretty well.

How you don't just get that from the cut scenes is beyond me.

ZeroRay

Kuro Madoushi said:

Yeah, the game is pretty much information overload from the beginning; I love it but some people are turned off. I'm on chapter X and I think the combat is better or at least neck and neck with DMC3. I just turn my brain off and watched the ridiculous epicness when it comes to watching the cutscenes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ZeroRay said:
Yeah, the game is pretty much information overload from the beginning; I love it but some people are turned off. I'm on chapter X and I think the combat is better or at least neck and neck with DMC3. I just turn my brain off and watched the ridiculous epicness when it comes to watching the cutscenes.

The end of Chapter XVI is fucking hugely epic. I love it. My favorite boss fight ending.

ZeroRay

thetrin said:
The end of Chapter XVI is fucking hugely epic. I love it. My favorite boss fight ending.

Yup, this game has pretty much been "how can we top what just happened?" from the begining.

Can't wait to see what else they come up with.

Dreavus

thetrin said:
What is there possibly to be confused about? Bayonetta is a witch. Witches make a pact with Inferno that they must dispatch angels in order to stay on earth. She's trying to recover her memories. Those that help her probably get paid pretty well.

I've heard a ton of people saying "I don't know whats going on but it's awesome!" and I'm not sure if they're being serious or not. If you don't skip cutscenes on your first play through it's pretty easy to figure out what is going on. You are kept in the dark for a few things but they are revealed by the end of the game.

The storyline is over-the-top and ridiculous but it's not indecipherable.

Kuro Madoushi said:

I had the same impression as you at first, but once you get up to hard difficulty and learn the system, the combat is AT LEAST as stylish and deep as DMC3.

thetrin

ZeroRay said:
Yup, this game has pretty much been "how can we top what just happened?" from the begining.

Can't wait to see what else they come up with.

The beautiful thing about Bayonetta, is that you're constantly thinking "how can they top this?" yet somehow, they CONSTANTLY DO.

Dreavus said:
I've heard a ton of people saying "I don't know whats going on but it's awesome!" and I'm not sure if they're being serious or not. If you don't skip cutscenes on your first play through it's pretty easy to figure out what is going on. You are kept in the dark for a few things but they are revealed by the end of the game.

The storyline is over-the-top and ridiculous but it's not indecipherable.

Sure, the twists that come with the development of the story are not revealed, but the game's story is pretty damn straightforward (if not simplistic).

I was very confused who Rodin was at first, but that was pretty much answered pretty quickly.

Roto13

thetrin said:
The beautiful thing about Bayonetta, is that you're constantly thinking "how can they top this?" yet somehow, they CONSTANTLY DO.
"Did I just ride a motorcycle into space and punch God into the sun? I'm pretty sure I did."

andymcc

Banned
Roto13 said:
"Did I just ride a motorcycle into space and punch God into the sun? I'm pretty sure I did."

someone compared this game to tengen toppa gurren lagann as a video game, this is the exact moment when i thought that.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Roto13 said:

"Holy fuck, this is epic. I'm fighting a giant dragon angel with two heads in a fucking coliseum, where it was worshipped as a god. Oh shit, he's destroying the level in real time, and I have to rewind time itself to rebuild that shit, so I can jump to him and rip his heads off. Holy shit, did he just create a gigantic volcanic eruption that blasted us into fucking space?OH SNAP! Did I just summon, a giant demonic bird to rip into him and then procedeed to kick pieces of the planet into his fucking face? Best final boss ever. Well that was short...Wait, what do you mean? THIS WAS THE FIRST FUCKING BOSS?"

Tokubetsu

I don't know how many gaffers here do it but playing this with headphone is actually a pleasant experience. It's all mixed pretty well. I never noticed that Shuraba growls when you attack with it. :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
TheCardPlayer said:
"Holy fuck, this is epic. I'm fighting a giant dragon angel with two heads in a fucking coliseum, where it was worshipped as a god. Oh shit, he's destroying the level in real time, and I have to rewind time itself to rebuild that shit, so I can jump to him and rip his heads off. Holy shit, did he just create a gigantic volcanic eruption that blasted us into fucking space?OH SNAP! Did I just summon, a giant demonic bird to rip into him and then procedeed to kick pieces of the planet into his fucking face? Best final boss ever. Well that was short...Wait, what do you mean? THIS WAS THE FIRST FUCKING BOSS?"
"Well fuck, this is the final boss? He must be a little bitch if I can just QTE shoot him in the face and- WTF WHY DID HE JUST BITCH SLAP ME WITH MY OWN BULLETS???"

ezekial45

Banned
DY_nasty said:
"Well fuck, this is the final boss? He must be a little bitch if I can just QTE shoot him in the face and- WTF WHY DID HE JUST BITCH SLAP ME WITH MY OWN BULLETS???"

Wow, is that what happens if you fail?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ezekial45 said:
Wow, is that what happens if you fail?
Thats what happens if you nail it

The actual fight... lol, your hair spawned demons get pwned like ffx-endgame on acid

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:

I read nothing except gameplay reviews prior to playing this.

I know she's a witch. They make a pact to stay on Earth? Sure as hell didn't see that in any cutscene so far. Trying to recover her memories? I got that.

Game just throws you in there. Hell, just the opening was enough of an in-your-face shocker.

Then, suddenly, you're just moving from spot to spot and over-the-top fight to over-the-top fight.

Then there's a dude with a bar who goes somewhere and comes back with weapons.

Then there's a chick with a motorcycle...

sigh...I'll just play it some more and hopefully more will stick.

Holy Shit.

Holy Shit.

I just beat it, and I must say wow. My heart is still pumping. That was some epic stuff. Now I look forward to going back and unlocking everything and getting better awards (I pretty much got stones across the board haha).

Man the boss fight was Jeanne was so kick ass. I was in tears when I thought she was dead. I really grew attached to her.

Then we she showed up at rescue Bayonetta at the end I was leaping off my couch.

And Father Baldur just furthers the theory that David Bowie is in every game ever.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371406&page=6&highlight=david+bowie

Was it just me and my boyfriend, or did anyone else pick up on the numerous Dragonball references?

Tokubetsu

Kuro Madoushi said:
I read nothing except gameplay reviews prior to playing this.

I know she's a witch. They make a pact to stay on Earth? Sure as hell didn't see that in any cutscene so far. Trying to recover her memories? I got that.

Game just throws you in there. Hell, just the opening was enough of an in-your-face shocker.

Then, suddenly, you're just moving from spot to spot and over-the-top fight to over-the-top fight.

Then there's a dude with a bar who goes somewhere and comes back with weapons.

Then there's a chick with a motorcycle...

sigh...I'll just play it some more and hopefully more will stick.

I agree that it's hard to follow and fucking stupid A LOT of the time but a lot of what he was saying was inferred. Rodin is from inferno, he goes there to forge new weapons by playing the records you bring him that attracts angels and that some how helps him forge shit (halos I'm assuming). Jeanne was something like a rival, thats pretty obvious. They never explain WHY exactly you know where to go and never completely explain the setting but yeah.

Aske

Tokubetsu said:
I agree that it's hard to follow and fucking stupid A LOT of the time but a lot of what he was saying was inferred. Rodin is from inferno, he goes there to forge new weapons by playing the records you bring him that attracts angels and that some how helps him forge shit (halos I'm assuming). Jeanne was something like a rival, thats pretty obvious. They never explain WHY exactly you know where to go and never completely explain the setting but yeah.

No no no. Major story spoilers that explain the whole game to those who didn't get it:

Rodin summons demons with the records and makes weapons out of their captured souls (a homage to/the exact same thing as DMC Devil Arms). The residents of Inferno use angels' halos as currency, so Rodin accepts them as payment. Jeanne was a friend/rival 500 years ago, before Bayonetta was sealed away, but she's under Balder's control for the majority of the game.

The reason Bayonetta takes a break from angel slaying to appease the lords of Inferno and goes to Vigrid is because one of the few memories she has retained is the knowledge that the Eye of the World is important to her. She thinks it's a pair to the jewel she wears and that it'll restore her memory. In fact, the jewel once contained her soul when she was defeated by Jeanne 500 years ago and has nothing to do with the Left Eye, but Balder knows she has no idea what the Eye really is. He puts out the word of its existence on the black market to lure her to him via her informant, Enzo. When Bayonetta takes the bait, Balder summons Cereza from the past in order for her to see how awesome Bayonetta is. Bayonetta won't awaken the Umbran Eye because, though awesome, she's not ready or whatever. So Balder wants her to be influenced by her awesome adult self as a child so that she becomes an even more awesome adult through the magic of paradoxes. By influencing her child-self as Cereza and allowing her to witness her own awesome battles against incredible enemies (battles all staged by Balder as sacrifices to his greater goal) Bayonetta levels up and gains the power to awaken the Left Eye of the Umbra - thus allowing Balder to open the Right Eye of the Lumen, reunite the Eyes of the World, and resurrect Jubileus, who will destroy and recreate the universe under Balder's influence. This would suck, so Jeanne - released from Balder's power - saves Bayonetta, and they kick Jubileus's ass, and then Bayonetta makes a music video.

FFS, it's so easy to understand, people.

danmaku

I never understood Father Balder's role. Is he Bayonetta's dad? or just a random guy with a dead peacock on his shoulder?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
I used scarborough fair for my entire normal run. I didn't change weapons until hard.

What is Scarborough Fair? I heard it's what's written on each gun. Do you mean you just had the handguns equiped through the entire game?

I'm not getting this game at all.... graphics are so so.... gameplay is fun but nothing to write home about... plot makes no sense.

Does it get better once you've got some of the items from later on in the game?

The most ridiculous Edge 10 ever.

jvalioli

Vilix said:
What is Scarborough Fair? I heard it's what's written on each gun. Do you mean you just had the handguns equiped through the entire game?
Yeah, that's what he means. I actually did this for 10 chapters or so because I forgot you could change weapons.:lol

Zertez

NinjaFusion said:
I'm not getting this game at all.... graphics are so so.... gameplay is fun but nothing to write home about... plot makes no sense.

The game picks up with each chapter. As you progress and get more weapons, techniques and accessories the combat is very deep. I have played through the game multiple times and I'm still finding new ways to kill things in style.

NinjaFusion said:

I knew this game was for me the second I got control. The combat just FEELS so good, the art style is beautiful, and later levels have me in awe at what they managed to do without completely breaking the game. Maybe it's a slow burn for people like you, or maybe you'll just never "get it," but man this is one of the best experiences I've had with a game since Super Mario Galaxy, and MGS3 before that. It gets better with every chapter IMO, and there are tons of ways to fight. I don't know how even the slightest fan of action games isn't having fun with this game.

Aske

danmaku said:
I never understood Father Balder's role. Is he Bayonetta's dad? or just a random guy with a dead peacock on his shoulder?

He's her dad, and his peacock rocks. Balder was the Lumen Sage who seduced Bayonetta's mother. One of the bosses refers to this being Paradiso's first attempt to unite the Eyes and resurrect Jubileus, which failed because Bayonetta wasn't up to snuff. Although the events of Bayonetta's birth are described as a union of star-crossed lovers, it's later revealed that Balder was deliberately laying the groundwork for the resurrection of Jubileus by purposefully breaking the balance of power between light and dark. He was an instrument of Paradiso who contrived to have a child with a witch. And though the plan failed because Bayonetta was defeated by Jeanne, the resulting war between the clans allowed Balder to mop up what remained of the barely victorious Umbra after they had wiped out the rest of the Lumen, thus giving Paradiso a foothold of unprecedented strength in Vigrid.

So Balder is the last Lumen Sage, Jeanne is the last non-comatose Umbra Witch who he keeps alive as a servant under some kind of spell, and Bayonetta is sleeping in her coffin ready to be awoken when Luka's father tracks her down at Balder's behest 500 years later.

Victrix

*beard*
Aske said:
Balder was the Lumen Sage who seduced Bayonetta's mother.

Not that I care about the story in this game (at all), it really falls apart when you consider there's no way that guy could seduce any woman, ever. Or get within 100 feet of them without causing screaming and fleeing.

Miburou

Aske said:
No no no. Major story spoilers that explain the whole game to those who didn't get it:

Rodin summons demons with the records and makes weapons out of their captured souls (a homage to/the exact same thing as DMC Devil Arms). The residents of Inferno use angels' halos as currency, so Rodin accepts them as payment. Jeanne was a friend/rival 500 years ago, before Bayonetta was sealed away, but she's under Balder's control for the majority of the game.

The reason Bayonetta takes a break from angel slaying to appease the lords of Inferno and goes to Vigrid is because one of the few memories she has retained is the knowledge that the Eye of the World is important to her. She thinks it's a pair to the jewel she wears and that it'll restore her memory. In fact, the jewel once contained her soul when she was defeated by Jeanne 500 years ago and has nothing to do with the Left Eye, but Balder knows she has no idea what the Eye really is. He puts out the word of its existence on the black market to lure her to him via her informant, Enzo. When Bayonetta takes the bait, Balder summons Cereza from the past in order for her to see how awesome Bayonetta is. Bayonetta won't awaken the Umbran Eye because, though awesome, she's not ready or whatever. So Balder wants her to be influenced by her awesome adult self as a child so that she becomes an even more awesome adult through the magic of paradoxes. By influencing her child-self as Cereza and allowing her to witness her own awesome battles against incredible enemies (battles all staged by Balder as sacrifices to his greater goal) Bayonetta levels up and gains the power to awaken the Left Eye of the Umbra - thus allowing Balder to open the Right Eye of the Lumen, reunite the Eyes of the World, and resurrect Jubileus, who will destroy and recreate the universe under Balder's influence. This would suck, so Jeanne - released from Balder's power - saves Bayonetta, and they kick Jubileus's ass, and then Bayonetta makes a music video.

FFS, it's so easy to understand, people.

Nice summary. What I never understood is why do bad guys go through with these incredibly elaborate plans only to
awaken a weak-ass god who gets his ass kicked? :lol

danmaku said:

He got together with a witch so that he then can wipe out all the other witches except for the outcast Bayonetta (and Jeanne i guess) and then control her, in order to get control over both eyes, the sages' and the witches', and unite them to awaken the creator. Or something.

Dahbomb

Is it possible to do the Alfheim portal where you have to beat that sub boss enemy (kind of a giant) using only like 7 kicks and 6 punches with the default pistols? I get pretty close to beating him but I can't help but think it might be easier with another weapon.

Miburou

Victrix said:
Not that I care about the story in this game (at all), it really falls apart when you consider there's no way that guy could seduce any woman, ever. Or get within 100 feet of them without causing screaming and fleeing.

That's because he's 758 years old now. You should've seen how handsome he was when he was merely a sprightly 258 year old. :lol

Dreavus

Dahbomb said:
Is it possible to do the Alfheim portal where you have to beat that sub boss enemy (kind of a giant) using only like 7 kicks and 6 punches with the default pistols? I get pretty close to beating him but I can't help but think it might be easier with another weapon.

It seems like it would be hard to do enough damage without using another weapon. Do you have the sword? You can "hold" punch after a sword swing to do the charge up attack, and it still only counts as one swing. I found the fire bombs from Durga to do a lot of damage as well using only a few kicks.

Top Bottom