• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Z_Y

So my wife obtained an old smoker from a friend that had never been used. I'm anxious to try to smoke something. Never have done it before. But I think this thing is older than we thought. It's called a Mr. Meat Smoker and one of the booklets inside was dated 1977.

It looks a lot like this except for a couple differences

digimarc.ms

One..there is no temperature gauge. Just a hole. I'm assuming I can seal that up and just buy another gauge. No big deal, I suppose.

The other issue is that there is no access door to tend to the coals or the water pan. Is this a deal breaker? I mean..should I even try to cook anything on this thing? Seems it would be a nightmare to try to maintain the temperature in this thing. Any suggestions?

otapnam

Oh yah was Father's Day gift. Was really drunk last night so I left that out. Lol.

edit:

I'm going to order a cover for this...does anyone recommend any other accessories for this? Already have the chimney.

I'd figure I would pick up some of these for indirect cooking: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7403-Ch...s/B000WEMGM4/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

omg, kettle pizza... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SFJLOI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have the briquette holders for my performer but don't really use em. I tend to do too much mixed grilling and need either more fuel or spacing it more. If I ever dish out for the cooking system with the removable center grate I might though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044EG5CA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Theres a couple of 3rd party versions out there too. One that's even all cast iron

I've watched the kettle pizza for awhile, it seems pretty legit. But I don't think I'd use it enough to justify heh

Man, I got a weber spirit 310 a few weeks ago and am loving it. Just the right size for my balcony. It really pays to spend money on these things and not cheap out like I did on the past with $200 grills. Grilling just about everyday now. Amazing how quickly you can cook on a grill versus an oven.

UrokeJoe

So my wife obtained an old smoker from a friend that had never been used. I'm anxious to try to smoke something. Never have done it before. But I think this thing is older than we thought. It's called a Mr. Meat Smoker and one of the booklets inside was dated 1977.

It looks a lot like this except for a couple differences

One..there is no temperature gauge. Just a hole. I'm assuming I can seal that up and just buy another gauge. No big deal, I suppose.

The other issue is that there is no access door to tend to the coals or the water pan. Is this a deal breaker? I mean..should I even try to cook anything on this thing? Seems it would be a nightmare to try to maintain the temperature in this thing. Any suggestions?

Setting it up with a temp gauge should be no problem at all. There are plenty out there. If you already have this smoker why not play with it? Might take some practice to get used to, with temps and all, but you have a smoker! Start playing with it, if anything it will get you started.

I plan to fire mine up tomorrow for the first time. I've also never smoked just had Weber kettles.

CrankyJay

Banned
Setting it up with a temp gauge should be no problem at all. There are plenty out there. If you already have this smoker why not play with it? Might take some practice to get used to, with temps and all, but you have a smoker! Start playing with it, if anything it will get you started.

I plan to fire mine up tomorrow for the first time. I've also never smoked just had Weber kettles.

Are you doing a dry run with just coals or are you putting on some food? I just went straight for food when I used mine for the first time. Just keep in mind the unit tends to run hot when it's new until a seal forms with fat and soot, so chicken is a good starting food.

UrokeJoe

Are you doing a dry run with just coals or are you putting on some food? I just went straight for food when I used mine for the first time. Just keep in mind the unit tends to run hot when it's new until a seal forms with fat and soot, so chicken is a good starting food.

Things didn't go as planned today, have to go check into a summer camp for my daughter, so looks like Sunday. That's the thing I guess with smoking... you have to have a good amount of time available. Might try and fire it up empty for a few hours this evening and see how it goes.

Anyways I was planning on just wiping it down inside and then just letting it burn for a bit before going directly to food. I did read what Harry Soo recommends, but figure as long as there is nothing toxic why not just get started? I'm sure in time things will season up. Also I promised my daughter ribs, so that's going to be the first thing I try.

GiJoccin

yeah, i did chicken twice, then ribs, and after the ribs were done, i noticed the inside is nice and greased up.

next up: brisket :D

CrankyJay

Banned
Things didn't go as planned today, have to go check into a summer camp for my daughter, so looks like Sunday. That's the thing I guess with smoking... you have to have a good amount of time available. Might try and fire it up empty for a few hours this evening and see how it goes.

Anyways I was planning on just wiping it down inside and then just letting it burn for a bit before going directly to food. I did read what Harry Soo recommends, but figure as long as there is nothing toxic why not just get started? I'm sure in time things will season up. Also I promised my daughter ribs, so that's going to be the first thing I try.

Chicken quarters take like an hour at 320-350. Your smoker will run hot. Just light a full chimney and give it a whirl.

UrokeJoe

Chicken quarters take like an hour at 320-350. Your smoker will run hot. Just light a full chimney and give it a whirl.

You talked me into it Jay. Got home a little after five and decided to start it up. This thing has been going strong at 325 and staying there according to the dome gauge for over an hour. Experience adjusting the vents will come in time I'm sure...

CrankyJay

Banned
You talked me into it Jay. Got home a little after five and decided to start it up. This thing has been going strong at 325 and staying there according to the dome gauge for over an hour. Experience adjusting the vents will come in time I'm sure...

Go full blast on vents with chicken if you want a crispy crust. Something about cooking under 325 causes the skin to turn out rubbery. If you're not a skin guy went you get a hang of your WSM a brined and smoked chicken is a wonderful thing.

Also, I tend to stick with fruit woods for poultry. I love hickory but it's easy to overpower on a soft meat like chicken.

CrankyJay

Banned
Tonight I'm gonna assemble my OTG and grill some filet mignon over lump. Gonna try a reverse searing method. Gonna cook the steaks on the cold side until they reach 110F then get a good sear on them on the hot side until 125-130F for a medium rare. Really stoked.

CrankyJay

Banned
OTG is put together and sitting comfortably next to my WSM. Anyone else have a little trouble pushing in the legs so they were all the way down? Made me nervous. LOL

GQ7rzrP.jpg

My weber gas grill has been relegated to sitting against the back of the house for now.

CrankyJay

Banned
No pics. I felt like a dick taking food pics with guests over when they were waiting to eat.

Some notes.

Reverse searing is a really fool proof method. I also had a therma pen so I had instant read.

I threw on an oak barrel wine stave. Got a real nice clean oak smoke on the steak. I'm really surprised how much smoke they picked up but it was real balanced.

I usually like to salt and pepper my steaks pre cook. Today I decided to salt 2 hours early for osmosis effect. It didn't really soak in as much as I thought and I missed the pepper, even tho I put some on at the end.

My lump coals really died on me after I got the steaks off so I had to leave my asparagus vas balsamic marinated portobello mushrooms on a bit longer.

UrokeJoe

Go full blast on vents with chicken if you want a crispy crust. Something about cooking under 325 causes the skin to turn out rubbery. If you're not a skin guy went you get a hang of your WSM a brined and smoked chicken is a wonderful thing.

Also, I tend to stick with fruit woods for poultry. I love hickory but it's easy to overpower on a soft meat like chicken.

Yeah the chicken came out great, totally cooked and super moist, but the skin was soft. The vents were wide open, but I might of went light on the fuel. I probably should of dropped the chicken to the middle grate near the end or crisped it on the gasser.

I used pecan chunks.

Also nice Weber family you have.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah the chicken came out great, totally cooked and super moist, but the skin was soft. The vents were wide open, but I might of went light on the fuel. I probably should of dropped the chicken to the middle grate near the end or crisped it on the gasser.

I used pecan chunks.

Also nice Weber family you have.

Thanks...yeah, based on that pic you're probably on the low end of fuel a little bit. It really depends what you want to do with your chicken...if you value crispy skin, get 2 chimneys full lit and open the vents.

The top grate is actually hotter than the middle (heat rising). If you can get and maintain 325-350 you'll get nice skin, the problem is the most you use the smoker, the harder I find it is to get my WSM that hot anymore.

Crisping it up on the gasser is your other play, for sure.

I dropped the lid on my OTG :(

Now I have to get a new one.

I dropped mine onto the concrete patio about a week ago, super ugly chip on my pretty green lid. It looks bad but I don't know of an easy way to repair it and the cooking isn't affected. It seriously bums me out every time I see it though.

Bii

I dropped the lid on my OTG :(

Now I have to get a new one.

Mine's a Silver but I dropped my lid twice already. :( And I just got it less than two months ago. The scuffs bother me a bit when I see it but it ultimately doesn't affect the cooking. *sigh*

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Here we go:
30tjpmt.jpg

Ok...wth why do I suck at internet? How do you get images to show?

The webhost you are using is banned. Whenever you see **** in the URL link, that website/webhosting service is banned.

MRSA didnt you just get your grill? Hate when that shit happens, dinged my new car the first weekend I had it.

CrankyJay

Banned
just put my burnt ends on from my last two briskets.
Going to make burnt ends chili with this guys recipe.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/82900/burnt-ends-chili-with-qview-of-course

Made it once before but accidentally put way too much cayenne in, it had great flavor, aside from lighting my tongue on fire.

I fucked up a brisket once and turned it into a brisket chili and brought it into work. People went absolutely nuts for it. I'm glad there is a back up plan to drying out a brisket.

Happy to finally contribute to this thread,thanks for the invite Cranky Jay!

Was me and my friends first time smoking and we each made/prepped our own ribs mine are on top. I basted mine in mustard and covered in a homemade spice rub from a friend. Pre cook pic here
j4WIhKunVd80f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We also threw some chicken pieces and corn down below.

Only finished pic I took unfortunately as we dug in as soon as the ribs rested.

Overall was a great experience. Food turned out excellent for some first timers. We will be smoking different foods all summer long.

Happy to finally contribute to this thread,thanks for the invite Cranky Jay!

Was me and my friends first time smoking and we each made/prepped our own ribs mine are on top. I basted mine in mustard and covered in a homemade spice rub from a friend. Pre cook pic here
[URL=http://minus.com/i/4WIhKunVd80f][IMG]http://i.minus.com/j4WIhKunVd80f.jpg[IMG][/URL][IMG]

We also threw some chicken pieces and corn down below.
[URL=http://minus.com/i/Gn3pqOJI7rED][IMG]http://i.minus.com/jGn3pqOJI7rED.jpg[IMG][/URL]

Only finished pic I took unfortunately as we dug in as soon as the ribs rested.
[URL=http://minus.com/i/fycyYPQcuk19][IMG]http://i.minus.com/jfycyYPQcuk19.jpg[IMG][/URL]

Overall was a great experience. Food turned out excellent for some first timers. We will be smoking different foods all summer long.[/QUOTE]

Ribs looks great! How long did you cook the corn and how'd it turn out? I've wanted to try this but I'm worried it would dry out.

Ribs looks great! How long did you cook the corn and how'd it turn out? I've wanted to try this but I'm worried it would dry out.

Thanks! We had everything cook for the same amount of time which i believe was around 3 hours give or take 15 minutes. We did have a bit of trouble regulating the temp midway through which may have made the cooking time a bit longer. Corn turned out crisp and juicy,I was afraid it was gonna overcook but nope it was on point.

Top Bottom