• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

CrankyJay

Banned
Butcher cut me some nice bone in short ribs

PnWazo8.jpg

After about 5 and a half hours...mopped every hour after 2 hours and then put on some sweet baby rays 10 minutes before I pulled them

Utk45Go.jpg

Decided to go with a sliced presentation

mSthpcx.jpg

Standard slaw and some cast iron skillet cornbread with honey brushed on top

QuhdiaM.jpg

Mdeezy

Butcher cut me some nice bone in short ribs

PnWazo8.jpg

After about 5 and a half hours...mopped every hour after 2 hours and then put on some sweet baby rays 10 minutes before I pulled them

Utk45Go.jpg

Decided to go with a sliced presentation

mSthpcx.jpg

Standard slaw and some cast iron skillet cornbread with honey brushed on top

QuhdiaM.jpg

My god that looks delicious

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So what is everyone's smoking/grilling plans for the weekend?

Tonight I am doing some wings in the Performer.
Tomorrow 2 slabs of ribs, sausage, and a small brisket.
Sunday, pulled pork and another small brisket for my dinners for the the week.

I went to the grocery store after getting off work early and it was a madhouse but alot of deals. The best was $1.88/pound baby backs. They had packers, trimmed brisket and flats by themselves as well. It was a meat party going on. As fast as they could put them out, they were getting picked up. I'll post a pic of the brisket section in a few minutes for those of you who have a hard time finding packers.

ShinAmano

Made some 'The Chicken' last night. Had Kickball tonight so nothing special. Doing a Low Country Boil tomorrow since the egg will be occupied with 20lbs of pork for a friends party on the 5th. Sunday I plan to stuff a pork loin with sausage and herbs and toss it on the smoker.

Chris R

Pulled my butt just now. So fucking good, but my god, I don't know if I'll do another. Pulling the fucker took damn near 30 mins.

I also need to adjust my rub next time, too much salt on the barky bits. And I guess I need an injector as well to get an ultra juicy interior.

Soooooo tasty.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Pulled my butt just now. So fucking good, but my god, I don't know if I'll do another. Pulling the fucker took damn near 30 mins.
30 minutes, how many pounds? Or was it not tender enough?

I also need to adjust my rub next time, too much salt on the barky bits. And I guess I need an injector as well to get an ultra juicy interior.

Soooooo tasty.
Always inject a pork butt, soooo good.

I'm about to put some burgers, asparagus and sausage on the egg.

akira28

I guess I'm smoking ribs right now. Oven for 45 minutes at 350F, then slow smoke for 1 and a half at 200F with some soaked mesquite and applewood chips.

I was like 'fuck the 4th' earlier, but eh. What the hell.

Chris R

30 minutes, how many pounds? Or was it not tender enough?
Always inject a pork butt, soooo good.

It was tender enough, I've just never done it before so it was a new experience to me. Just used two forks, if I had bear paws I would have been done in 5 minutes.

Did a couple of Lamb Shanks & some Pork Ribs tonight. Was making a table at the same time, so I kinda burnt them. Still pretty delicious though, if not a bit on the dry side. Even bad BBQ can be good.

ShinAmano

BBQ has about another hour and then I will pull it. The smell coming off the grill is intoxicating.

So...I guess there comes a time that you fuck up once when making BBQ...this was that time. I am not sure what went wrong...temp, time and prep all exactly what they should have been but the Q came out dry and IMO terrible. I hang my head in shame. :(

CrankyJay

Banned
BBQ has about another hour and then I will pull it. The smell coming off the grill is intoxicating.

So...I guess there comes a time that you fuck up once when making BBQ...this was that time. I am not sure what went wrong...temp, time and prep all exactly what they should have been but the Q came out dry and IMO terrible. I hang my head in shame. :(

We've all been there. =(

I'm starting to think the more you fuss over the fire and dials etc the worse it ends up being. I've tinkered to disastrous results.

captive

It was tender enough, I've just never done it before so it was a new experience to me. Just used two forks, if I had bear paws I would have been done in 5 minutes.
ha, I want some bear paws.

I know that feel bro. :(

Dry brisket is the worse.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

It happens. I was hanging out with a friend of mine who goes all over the region with his BBQ team. They only have to turn in one brisket, but cook 7 of them and turn in the best. The quality of those 7 briskets varies big time. It happens. Sometimes it is the meat itself, sometimes it is the positioning of the meat in the smoker, sometimes it is the weather, sometimes you just aren't watching things close enough. It happens.

One big part of it is the meat itself. I actually switched where I get my meat from because I had had such bad luck with my previous source. Grades of meat make a difference. Sorry you had such a bad experience. That is the thing abut BBQ, you can put in work all day and night and end up with some crap you wouldn't serve your dog. The BBQ gods are cruel. They don't give a damn about your time. But when things come out good, you feel like the kind of the BBQ world.

We end up being our worst critics. I have hated my cooks and others have loved it. I have thought meat was too dry when others have thought it was perfect. So it probably wasn't as bad as you think it was. Keep your head up. One thing that helps my consistency is to cook often and write down the steps I have taken including time and weather conditions throughout the cook. So that if something is off, I can try to figure out what went wrong.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sad to say, I never got a chance to make ANY bbq this weekend...lol. Was planning on doing a shoulder or two yesterday but it was just too windy, so I settled for a 1.5 inch thick ribeye. =)

I did have some pulled pork and chicken out of an electric smoker, but man, I just don't like the taste...the chicken was decent, but it was like the electric smoker couldn't get anything on that shoulder.

Also, happy to say gherkins are finally available in my area, so I made Dinosaur BBQ's recipe of garlic jalapeno dill pickles. I didn't take any pictures this time around, but here is a file photo from a previous batch.

RCG1igQ.jpg

captive

Sup BBQ bros. Anyone got any smokes going this weekend?

I'm doing beef jerky tomorrow, first time. 3lb eye of the round is marinating in the fridge.

Sad to say, I never got a chance to make ANY bbq this weekend...lol. Was planning on doing a shoulder or two yesterday but it was just too windy, so I settled for a 1.5 inch thick ribeye. =)

I did have some pulled pork and chicken out of an electric smoker, but man, I just don't like the taste...the chicken was decent, but it was like the electric smoker couldn't get anything on that shoulder.

Also, happy to say gherkins are finally available in my area, so I made Dinosaur BBQ's recipe of garlic jalapeno dill pickles. I didn't take any pictures this time around, but here is a file photo from a previous batch.

RCG1igQ.jpg

Really? Have you found that with other electrics?

Your pickles look amazing btw

Based on this thread, I finally got a 18.5 WSM, been thinking about for a while but the thread made me bite the bullet. It's not going to arrive till late September but I'm trying to learn as many things and techniques in the meantime.
What's the best resource for beginners outside the US?

Le-mo

hey gaf, i'm having a small grilling party on thursday. what does gaf recommend for some simple, but delicious meat recipes.

ShinAmano

It is a sad day in ShinAmano BBQ land...

So I was cleaning my Egg and I found that the firebox has a crack that runs 75% of the entire thing. This may have contributed to the bunk bbq I made the last time.

Anyhow I cooked some steaks on Wednesday night (they were great) and removed the plate setter (ceramic part for the egg to block/diffuse the flames...key to any and all bbq) and set it down next to the fire pit.

Fast forward to Thursday night...wife calls in a panic...the indoor cat had gone missing...last seen early Wednesday morning. I race home to go search (it was 10PM and dark) with no luck. Later that night 1:30AM our daughter woke up and my wife went to feed her...I got up to check to see if the cat had come for the food/litter I put on the back porch. I found him on the front...but he was terrified (all Thursday was intense T-Storms) and ran around back. I took off after him and in the process of catching him I tripped on the plate setter...

So I need to replace both the fire box and the plate setter on the Egg before I can BBQ again :(

But we found the cat!

captive

It is a sad day in ShinAmano BBQ land...

So I was cleaning my Egg and I found that the firebox has a crack that runs 75% of the entire thing. This may have contributed to the bunk bbq I made the last time.

Anyhow I cooked some steaks on Wednesday night (they were great) and removed the plate setter (ceramic part for the egg to block/diffuse the flames...key to any and all bbq) and set it down next to the fire pit.

Fast forward to Thursday night...wife calls in a panic...the indoor cat had gone missing...last seen early Wednesday morning. I race home to go search (it was 10PM and dark) with no luck. Later that night 1:30AM our daughter woke up and my wife went to feed her...I got up to check to see if the cat had come for the food/litter I put on the back porch. I found him on the front...but he was terrified (all Thursday was intense T-Storms) and ran around back. I took off after him and in the process of catching him I tripped on the plate setter...

So I need to replace both the fire box and the plate setter on the Egg before I can BBQ again :(

But we found the cat!
dude, that sucks. I would call BGE, the firebox may be under warranty. Their warranty is supposed to be really good.

Instead of replacing the plate setting, get the ceramic stones from the ceramic grill store and get yourself a rack system for that egg.

ShinAmano

dude, that sucks. I would call BGE, the firebox may be under warranty. Their warranty is supposed to be really good.

Instead of replacing the plate setting, get the ceramic stones from the ceramic grill store and get yourself a rack system for that egg.

Hmm...not a bad idea...

CrankyJay

Banned
Almost time. Just threw on some beans and bacon and will throw on some Italian sausages too.

Made a tangy BBQ sauce and a Carolina mustard sauce for the pork.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm almost in tears.

I an always my #1 worst critic.

Turned out probably the best smoked pulled pork and beans and Italian sausage in my 3+ years of smoking.

GiJoccin

I'm almost in tears.

I an always my #1 worst critic.

Turned out probably the best smoked pulled pork and beans and Italian sausage in my 3+ years of smoking.

pulled pork tips? got my first pork butt to smoke probably next week

making ribs tomorrow, do i HAVE to use bbq sauce?

you're from NYC area right? have you ever tried mighty quinns bbq? i really like their ribs and from what i can tell they keep it really simple, and might only use salt, pepper, and paprika on their ribs... and i wanted to try to emulate their style

CrankyJay

Banned
pulled pork tips? got my first pork butt to smoke probably next week

making ribs tomorrow, do i HAVE to use bbq sauce?

you're from NYC area right? have you ever tried mighty quinns bbq? i really like their ribs and from what i can tell they keep it really simple, and might only use salt, pepper, and paprika on their ribs... and i wanted to try to emulate their style

No, from Buffalo area...so other side of the state. I visit NYC on occasion but have never been there.

You can make dry ribs, I do it all the time (sauce some, leave some dry with just rub).

Tips for pulled pork...get 8-9 pound shoulder, trim off the fat cap since the shoulder will have plenty of fat. Smoke it until 190-200F.

When done, foil wrap it and let it rest at least 30 min, then pull.

I know, but I figured people have seen pulled pork before, and I feel like a dick taking picture of food when I have guests over and they're hungry waiting to dig in.

Top Bottom