• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

I've never grilled before but im in the market for one. Questions for grill Gaf here: Is the Big Green Egg a good starter grill? Is it better to start with gas or..I suppose the alternative is charcoal?

DJ_Lae

I've never grilled before but im in the market for one. Questions for grill Gaf here: Is the Big Green Egg a good starter grill? Is it better to start with gas or..I suppose the alternative is charcoal?

For starter grill the best choice seems to be the Weber One Touch - I would be inclined to spend the extra for the Gold although the Silver is fine too (the ash catcher and folding grate are worth it).

It's what I decided on last year for my first foray into charcoal grilling after reading up on various grills, and it's been great. Very easy to use, versatile, and relatively cheap.

For starter grill the best choice seems to be the Weber One Touch - I would be inclined to spend the extra for the Gold although the Silver is fine too (the ash catcher and folding grate are worth it).

It's what I decided on last year for my first foray into charcoal grilling after reading up on various grills, and it's been great. Very easy to use, versatile, and relatively cheap.

Thanks for the reply. The One touch Gold looks like just the thing I need. Not too big and seems simple enough. I'll post back with food pics once I grab it and burn/cook something.

CrankyJay

Banned
anyone ever smoke corned beef? what's better, do the brisket (flat) or the round?

the only advice I got was to give it a good soak/rinse in cold water to take some of the saltiness off.

codhand

1408487560319bcs4g.jpg

mesquite chip and royal oak charcoal grilled, bacon wrapped ny strip, and corn a la cob.

phanphare

Banned
sub'd

I need to get back on my bbq game. I had a cheap wsm knock off and was smoking for a while but I haven't all year since I moved into my new place.

thinking about getting a weber kettle so I can grill and smoke. definitely gonna need something for football season.

anyone use a weber kettle to indirect smoke? tips?

I cant wait till the Fall. That is when I get most of my smoking in. I have been smoking pork and chicken now for about 6 years. I think in October I am going to try my first brisket. I understand that cut is a lot less forgiving.

otapnam

sub'd

I need to get back on my bbq game. I had a cheap wsm knock off and was smoking for a while but I haven't all year since I moved into my new place.

thinking about getting a weber kettle so I can grill and smoke. definitely gonna need something for football season.

anyone use a weber kettle to indirect smoke? tips?

I have a smokenator for my weber performer.

Ive only used it twice for brisket and it worked out ok.

Ill probably ditch their water pan and use a larger one next time. Also try to check it less LOL

phanphare

Banned
As a native North Carolinian, this thread makes me happy. Good work fellas.

as a native North Carolinian as well I second this

just stumbled on this thread today, sub'd, and caught up on a bunch of pages worth of delicious looking bbq

A+ gentlemen, A+

hopefully I'll be joining yall soon enough. I went from having no intention of buying a new grill this morning to deciding to take a trip over to Lowes after work today and check out the weber silver and gold kettles.

so another question, are there any big differences between the one touch gold and one touch silver? the only difference I can see is how they both collect ash. price is kind of a factor for me but not enough to buy a significantly inferior product. basically why is the gold better than the silver and is that worth the extra $50?

I have a smokenator for my weber performer.

Ive only used it twice for brisket and it worked out ok.

Ill probably ditch their water pan and use a larger one next time. Also try to check it less LOL

nice, yeah I've been checking that out. don't know if I can drop that kind of money right now, I'll probably just start off by separating with fire bricks or using the snake method.

CrankyJay

Banned
as a native North Carolinian as well I second this

just stumbled on this thread today, sub'd, and caught up on a bunch of pages worth of delicious looking bbq

A+ gentlemen, A+

hopefully I'll be joining yall soon enough. I went from having no intention of buying a new grill this morning to deciding to take a trip over to Lowes after work today and check out the weber silver and gold kettles.

so another question, are there any big differences between the one touch gold and one touch silver? the only difference I can see is how they both collect ash. price is kind of a factor for me but not enough to buy a significantly inferior product. basically why is the gold better than the silver and is that worth the extra $50?

Better ash catcher, hinged grate.

If $50 is an issue, you can google how to set up a coffee can to catch ashes better, and you could always buy the hinged grate separately if you wanted it.

phanphare

Banned
Better ash catcher, hinged grate.

If $50 is an issue, you can google how to set up a coffee can to catch ashes better, and you could always buy the hinged grate separately if you wanted it.

nice thanks man!

might be worth it then because I imagine that I'd buy a hinged grate at some point anyway so then it'd just be a difference of about $30 for the better ash catcher...

If anyone can ever find a reason to visit kansas, I'll be happy to treat you to some KC bbq.

Ya know. Real bbq;)

them's fightin' words son

jk, I love all bbq. I do rep NC all day every day though, but seeing as I don't have the means to make proper whole hog bbq I can't really talk :p

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

for a starter grill, its a bit overkill.

But if you plan on using it a lot, I couldnt recommend it more highly. Its VERY fuel efficient, which in the long run means less money spent on charcoal. It also helps for controlling the temp. If you go back a few pages, i actually posted a pic of smoking some ribs in a torrential downpour. Not that I had started out that way, but the weather can change a lot in 6 hours.

havnt been smoking too much recently. But I did make a bunch of beef jerky this past weekend. If you at all like jerky, i would highly recommend giving it a shot. Its really not that difficult, and a lot cheaper than buying it.

I also made this for my parents last weekend, Sweet and Garlicky Pork Loin Roast
http://www.biggreenjoe.com/sweet-garlicky-pork-loin-roast-on-the-big-green-egg/

And this spiral stuffed pork tenderloin http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/2008/03/spiral-stuffed-pork-tenderloin_23.html

Both were really good. Both of those guys have really good recipes. The second guy also uses a Kettle, i know some are interested in that here.

nice thanks man!

might be worth it then because I imagine that I'd buy a hinged grate at some point anyway so then it'd just be a difference of about $30 for the better ash catcher...

them's fightin' words son

jk, I love all bbq. I do rep NC all day every day though, but seeing as I don't have the means to make proper whole hog bbq I can't really talk :p

Same here man. Im just a bbq fan. KC is my favorite, but if it's good, it's good.

phanphare

Banned
I was at Target today and they have all their grills on sale. the 22" Weber silver was marked 50% off $49.99.

holy shit! I was sold on the gold but if I can get a silver for $50 I'll figure out an ash solution.

definitely going to swing by target tomorrow, thanks for the heads up man!

edit: so I called to make sure they had some and just went over and got it today. again, you are the fucking man! if you ever find yourself in the Charlotte area and want some grilled/smoked meat and a frosty beverage, hit me up. I'd be happy to oblige.

MRSA

Banned
holy shit! I was sold on the gold but if I can get a silver for $50 I'll figure out an ash solution.

definitely going to swing by target tomorrow, thanks for the heads up man!

edit: so I called to make sure they had some and just went over and got it today. again, you are the fucking man! if you ever find yourself in the Charlotte area and want some grilled/smoked meat and a frosty beverage, hit me up. I'd be happy to oblige.

Always happy to help others with a good deal. Make sure you get yourself a hinged grate, but you'll be upset with yourself that you paid $25 for a hinged grate on a $50 grill lol.

Also, Lowes and HD should be having their 40lbs of Kingsford blue for $10 this weekend or next.

EDIT: Yup the sale has started at Lowes. While you're at Lowes, pick up a stainless steel bucket and use that as an ash catcher that and a hinged grate, you got yourself a One Touch Gold. I wish I got in on last year's Target clearance of grills because they used to stock the copper color (best color).

Also, anybody have a recipe for a sugar free BBQ rub? I started a keto diet and sugar is a big no no.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Always happy to help others with a good deal. Make sure you get yourself a hinged grate, but you'll be upset with yourself that you paid $25 for a hinged grate on a $50 grill lol.

Also, Lowes and HD should be having their 40lbs of Kingsford blue for $10 this weekend or next.

EDIT: Yup the sale has started at Lowes. While you're at Lowes, pick up a stainless steel bucket and use that as an ash catcher that and a hinged grate, you got yourself a One Touch Gold. I wish I got in on last year's Target clearance of grills because they used to stock the copper color (best color).

Also, anybody have a recipe for a sugar free BBQ rub? I started a keto diet and sugar is a big no no.
I use this for brisket, everyone loves it
1 cup coarse sea or kosher salt
¼ cup granulated garlic
¼ cup granulated onion
1/8 cup ground thyme
1/8 cup ground bay
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup celery seed
1/8 cup Hungarian paprika

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Haven't tried it on pork or chicken.

phanphare

Banned

nice! will do

just finished putting it together. there she is

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
$50 for a Silver is a damn steal. I'd be all over that in an instant if I didn't already have a Gold. I like the extras that come with the Gold but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Someone say charcoal?

I still have a crapload from when I bought earlier this year. Been using the 14.5" WSM and my fuel use has dropped big time.

phanphare

Banned
nice. I went ahead and got 80lbs of charcoal from Lowes for $20. that was pretty sweet.

I'll actually have some bbq to post about next weekend (not this weekend). so far I've just been grilling burgers and zucchini. loving the grill so far, seems like it's sealed very well. the coals get snuffed out completely in about 30 minutes with the vents closed. makes me think that this grill will hold its temperature like a champ. can't wait to throw a butt on there. if all goes well with keeping a steady temperature my next venture will be pastrami.

Thanks for the heads up on charcoal, have 80lbs now and will pick up an additional 40 even though I have no where to put it. I have to say, since getting into a Weber OTG I have been using significantly less charcoal than any grill I've ever had before. The idea of "re-using" charcoal was totally foreign to me before I got this.

Also, holy shit at a $50 Weber OTS. The urge to get a second grill for absolutely no reason at all is getting stronger by the minute. I could build a nice table and have a "grilling" side and a "smoking" side! If they have any of the novelty colors then I don't think I can stop myself .

We recently moved from L.A. to Rochester. So, new house, new toys. I bought myself a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5. It's a sexy looking smoker and I'm glad I got one, finally. I'll be doing ribs and BBQ beans on it on Saturday.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
brotherbean said:
Also, holy shit at a $50 Weber OTS.

Where is it for $50? I looked on the HD website and it's listed for 99. I wouldn't mind having a smaller charcoal grill to sit next to my monster gas grill that I begrudgingly accepted as a gift from my wife. Had to pretend I loved it LOL.

MRSA

Banned
Where is it for $50? I looked on the HD website and it's listed for 99. I wouldn't mind having a smaller charcoal grill to sit next to my monster gas grill that I begrudgingly accepted as a gift from my wife. Had to pretend I loved it LOL.

Target is clearing out all their grills, its a YMMV kinda thing.

So for Labor Day, should I finally attempt brisket or stick with the tried and true spareribs?

CrankyJay

Banned

So for Labor Day, should I finally attempt brisket or stick with the tried and true spareribs?

Brisket. If you mess it up you can make brisket chili with it! You won't be sorry.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Thanks for the heads up. I can't say I've ever seen grills at my target but I haven't looked for them there either.

ShinAmano

Oh happy day...I got my replacement firebox and plate setter...time to smoke!

I am thinking something simple...sausages and chicken.

That said a buddy is picking us up some Camel Ribeye Steaks...but that is for tomorrow.

All is good now that the egg is back together :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Man, hope this doesn't backfire, but I was out of rub so instead of following a recipe I sort of just grabbed most everything available in my pantry and made a rub with that...lol

dark brown sugar
kosher salt
celery salt
lawry's seasoned salt
paprika
mustard
cumin
cayenne
lemmon pepper
pepper
thyme
oregano
onion powder
granulated garlic

putting them on ribs today, i guess i'll let you know how they turned out

i know it seems like a lot of salt, but it was just 1/4 cup of the kosher and 1 tb each of the other salts

nin1000

Banned
Hi there fellow GAF-fers ! grill Noob speaking here.
I had the idea to make some spare ribs at my girlfriends place. Considering i NEVER made pare ribs or any other BBQ this will be my first try to get into the BBQ-world.

First off some questions.
One of my fathers friends is an American ( i am Chilean living in Germany ) and he said you have to boil the ribs in order to get them real tender., is it really true ? as i heard from different internet sources that this is not the case.

I will be using this Weber Grill to try the ribs out. its using gas.
img20140902wat16cogmxzw.jpg

How long do i have to grill them ?
Again i am sorry for asking but this is like my first try to grill BBQ and i heard that the grilling phase can take from 30 minutes up to 6 hours. How shall i do the ribs them ? 20 minutes or 6 hours ? and at what temperature?

Next question will be regarding the actual sauce.
I want to try to make it myself and not use bought BBQ sauce. Is that the best idea for a BBQ-Noob or shall i stick to the bought BBQ sauce? And if , can you guys suggest me some good recipes ?
I also heard that it is very important to season the Meat beforehand ( removing the membrane in order for it to take full effect) and at the end of the grilling phase, how often should i brush the meat with the sauce ?

I know those are a lot of questions but i want to make this right and finally try to BBQ and BBQ the right way :)

Thanks in advance and have a good day guys !

Top Bottom