• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Decided to do a meatloaf on the egg today. Topped it with some thick-cut pepper bacon. Turned out awesome.

14924903209_4e3eaf4fbf_z.jpg

Before sauce.
15111577555_2b53c6341a_z.jpg

Done.
14924926820_8b1676d998_z.jpg

Smoke ring.
15108552951_a8e4528de5_z.jpg

Do you have a recipe for the meat loaf?

CrankyJay

Banned
Hi there fellow GAF-fers ! grill Noob speaking here.
I had the idea to make some spare ribs at my girlfriends place. Considering i NEVER made pare ribs or any other BBQ this will be my first try to get into the BBQ-world.

First off some questions.
One of my fathers friends is an American ( i am Chilean living in Germany ) and he said you have to boil the ribs in order to get them real tender., is it really true ? as i heard from different internet sources that this is not the case.

I will be using this Weber Grill to try the ribs out. its using gas.
img20140902wat16cogmxzw.jpg

How long do i have to grill them ?
Again i am sorry for asking but this is like my first try to grill BBQ and i heard that the grilling phase can take from 30 minutes up to 6 hours. How shall i do the ribs them ? 20 minutes or 6 hours ? and at what temperature?

Next question will be regarding the actual sauce.
I want to try to make it myself and not use bought BBQ sauce. Is that the best idea for a BBQ-Noob or shall i stick to the bought BBQ sauce? And if , can you guys suggest me some good recipes ?
I also heard that it is very important to season the Meat beforehand ( removing the membrane in order for it to take full effect) and at the end of the grilling phase, how often should i brush the meat with the sauce ?

I know those are a lot of questions but i want to make this right and finally try to BBQ and BBQ the right way :)

Thanks in advance and have a good day guys !

Boiling is okay...I think you'd be better off steaming in the oven, then you can sauce them up and crisp them off on the grill.

To steam, get a disposable tin foil tray big enough and deep enough to fit the ribs. Put about an inch of water or pineapple juice or beer, cover the tray with aluminum foil and cook them in the oven at like 275-300F for about 3-4 hours or until you can take a fork and slide it and out very easily.

Once you do that, take the ribs out and let them rest for 15-20 min, then sauce them up and cook them on the grill until you get a crispy outside.

nin1000

Banned
Boiling is okay...I think you'd be better off steaming in the oven, then you can sauce them up and crisp them off on the grill.

To steam, get a disposable tin foil tray big enough and deep enough to fit the ribs. Put about an inch of water or pineapple juice or beer, cover the tray with aluminum foil and cook them in the oven at like 275-300F for about 3-4 hours or until you can take a fork and slide it and out very easily.

Once you do that, take the ribs out and let them rest for 15-20 min, then sauce them up and cook them on the grill until you get a crispy outside.

Do i have to Season them before putting them into the oven or shall i not do that ?
and do you have a good recipe for an awesome sauce ?

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks! any recipes for a good BBQ sauce ?

yup

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon BBQ rub

you can add more vinegar if you like it tangy, or more sugar if you like it sweeter...

combine ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer (don't boil) for about 20-30 min...let cool. can refrigerate it if you want.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
yup

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon BBQ rub

you can add more vinegar if you like it tangy, or more sugar if you like it sweeter...

combine ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer (don't boil) for about 20-30 min...let cool. can refrigerate it if you want.

I would add a few teaspoons of hickory or mesquite liquid smoke to that. I've been making bbq sauce and giving out as additional christmas gifts for family members for year. Always get rave reviews.

And Jay those beans look fantastic as do the ribs. Any special recipe for the beans I'd love to try those.

CrankyJay

Banned
I would add a few teaspoons of hickory or mesquite liquid smoke to that. I've been making bbq sauce and giving out as additional christmas gifts for family members for year. Always get rave reviews.

And Jay those beans look fantastic as do the ribs. Any special recipe for the beans I'd love to try those.

i just take a few cans of bush's beans (and i like those Grillin' beans) ... mix them up with a little brown sugar, ketchup, and some bbq rub. then i cut up some bacon strips and sprinkle more bbq rub on top of those.

put them in the smoker for about 2 hours under whatever meat you are cooking to collect meat drippings.

btw, the ribs were awesome, but i sort of butchered them while cutting them...i really really suck at cutting ribs.

any tips?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Cool thanks. I like the grillin beans too. But I wasn't sure if you started with plain beans and added your own sauce or not. I might try this with my bbq sauce and some plain beans.

phanphare

Banned
i just take a few cans of bush's beans (and i like those Grillin' beans) ... mix them up with a little brown sugar, ketchup, and some bbq rub. then i cut up some bacon strips and sprinkle more bbq rub on top of those.

put them in the smoker for about 2 hours under whatever meat you are cooking to collect meat drippings.

btw, the ribs were awesome, but i sort of butchered them while cutting them...i really really suck at cutting ribs.

any tips?

cut the ribs upside down if you aren't already. much easier to follow the bone and make a straight cut.

Do you have a recipe for the meat loaf?

Kind of a hybrid from some others I saw online.

1 lb 80/20 Chuck
1 lb 90/10 Angus
1 lb Country sausage
2 eggs
~ 1/2 carrot
~ 1 stalk celery
1 clove garlic (probably needed 2)
~ 1/2 large sweet onion
1 cup oats (or bread crumbs)
1 cup finely shredded 3 cheddar blend
2 tsp dry rub (used Bad Byron's Butt Rub) - enough salt & pepper in the rub, didn't need more
Thick cut pepper bacon

Chopped and sauteed the garlic & veggies in EVOO
Hand mixed the meat/eggs and added veggies and dry ingredients
In a bread pan lined w/ Saran wrap for about an hour to firm up.
Out of the pan onto the grate
Topped w/ the bacon weave.
Smoked @ 350 for a little over 2 1/2 hrs to 160-165 internal.
Hit with sauce at around 150

Was plenty moist but tweak to suit your needs/likes.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Kind of a hybrid from some others I saw online.

1 lb 80/20 Chuck
1 lb 90/10 Angus
1 lb Country sausage
2 eggs
~ 1/2 carrot
~ 1 stalk celery
1 clove garlic (probably needed 2)
~ 1/2 large sweet onion
1 cup oats (or bread crumbs)
1 cup finely shredded 3 cheddar blend
2 tsp dry rub (used Bad Byron's Butt Rub) - enough salt & pepper in the rub, didn't need more
Thick cut pepper bacon

Chopped and sauteed the garlic & veggies in EVOO
Hand mixed the meat/eggs and added veggies and dry ingredients
In a bread pan lined w/ Saran wrap for about an hour to firm up.
Out of the pan onto the grate
Topped w/ the bacon weave.
Smoked @ 350 for a little over 2 1/2 hrs to 160-165 internal.
Hit with sauce at around 150

Was plenty moist but tweak to suit your needs/likes.

Thanks!

any tips?

Stand them up on their side and use a good serrated knife. From my experience regular knives don't cut bark well compared to serrated knives.

phanphare

Banned
just picked up a hinged grate and some pecan wood chips. getting a butt later today and will be all good for my first smoke on the kettle tomorrow. very excite.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
just picked up a hinged grate and some pecan wood chips. getting a butt later today and will be all good for my first smoke on the kettle tomorrow. very excite.

Have you smoked anything before? I am buying a couple of flats early in the morning for tailgating in the evening.

phanphare

Banned
Have you smoked anything before? I am buying a couple of flats early in the morning for tailgating in the evening.

yeah but they were on that really cheap (like $40) master forge with some mods. I did about 10 cooks on that and for the most part they actually turned out really well. this is my first smoke on the weber kettle

edit: here ya go! first smoke turned out very well. the kettle holds its temperature like a champ. I kept it between 240-250 for the whole smoke pretty much. I got up later than expected today so I didn't want to go any lower. I used pecan wood. very pleased with the flavor, I haven't used pecan wood on anything before.

dskillzhtown

yeah but they were on that really cheap (like $40) master forge with some mods. I did about 10 cooks on that and for the most part they actually turned out really well. this is my first smoke on the weber kettle

edit: here ya go! first smoke turned out very well. the kettle holds its temperature like a champ. I kept it between 240-250 for the whole smoke pretty much. I got up later than expected today so I didn't want to go any lower. I used pecan wood. very pleased with the flavor, I haven't used pecan wood on anything before.

Looks good! The reason I asked about smoking experience is because I have seen people try to do a brisket/pork shoulder in their first time lighting up a smoker or grill. That ends up with people being discouraged quickly.

CrankyJay

Banned
Looks good! The reason I asked about smoking experience is because I have seen people try to do a brisket/pork shoulder in their first time lighting up a smoker or grill. That ends up with people being discouraged quickly.

Why @ pork shoulder? It's probably the most forgiving cut of BBQ meat there is.

I guess though a 10 hour smoke is probably a little more involved than smoking a bird though.

EBreda

First post in BBQGAF ever. I've been lurking around admiring some of your stories so far.

Anyway, I'm having a really hard time teaching my butcher about brisket. Can anyone point me to a really good video showing me how to cut it, so I can finally get some quality brisket around here?

Thanks so much!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Made some baby backs on a whim today.

After taking them out of foil before a light saucing.
WP_20140910_18_27_48_Raw__highres_zpscc124f70.jpg

After light saucing and left on the egg for a minute.
WP_20140910_18_40_25_Raw__highres_zps8a39e698.jpg

Fell off the bone, just the way my wife likes them. Then we made s'mores on the fire for dessert.

First post in BBQGAF ever. I've been lurking around admiring some of your stories so far.

Anyway, I'm having a really hard time teaching my butcher about brisket. Can anyone point me to a really good video showing me how to cut it, so I can finally get some quality brisket around here?

Thanks so much!
I saw this video a few days ago. It seems like it might be what you are looking for.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

dskillzhtown

Why @ pork shoulder? It's probably the most forgiving cut of BBQ meat there is.

I guess though a 10 hour smoke is probably a little more involved than smoking a bird though.

I have seen people try a 10-12 hour smokes right out the gate with no idea about temp management and never touch a smoker again.

dskillzhtown

wow...heh

my first butt was on a WSM and there's a website that basically is a complete step by step guide on all of that...

These days with all the web sites, Youtube channels, etc. help is everywhere. The guy I am talking about was going from a book, but had not clue about temperatures and had it running hot, but kept the times the same. So he ended up with a hunk of smoking, burnt meat. "But it says 10 hours...I am doing 10 hours".

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so I think I'm gonna smoke a pastrami this weekend

any suggestions on wood to use?
for beef you can do a variety of woods, its a heavier meat so you can use heavier flavored woods like mesquite which is very Texas style BBQ. Pecan, oak, hickory are good as well. Personally I like to do pecan with apple whenever in doing brisket.

These days with all the web sites, Youtube channels, etc. help is everywhere. The guy I am talking about was going from a book, but had not clue about temperatures and had it running hot, but kept the times the same. So he ended up with a hunk of smoking, burnt meat. "But it says 10 hours...I am doing 10 hours".
I think one should definitely have some experience cooking meat before trying to smoke something. Know meat temps and stuff isn't something you should learn on such long cooks. And yea the recipe may say ten hours but it could be done before that, or require more time.

phanphare

Banned
for beef you can do a variety of woods, its a heavier meat so you can use heavier flavored woods like mesquite which is very Texas style BBQ. Pecan, oak, hickory are good as well. Personally I like to do pecan with apple whenever in doing brisket.

nice, thanks. pecan and apple sounds pretty solid to me. really enjoyed the pecan flavor on the pork.

mcfrank

I am about 9 hours into the smoke for my birthday BBQ. 2 briskets, 2 pork shoulders, 6lbs sausage, 4 racks of ribs. Should be a good day.

Using the new iGrill app. It is a huge improvement over the old app.

phanphare

Banned
I am about 9 hours into the smoke for my birthday BBQ. 2 briskets, 2 pork shoulders, 6lbs sausage, 4 racks of ribs. Should be a good day.

Using the new iGrill app. It is a huge improvement over the old app.

hol-ee-shit!

that's some good looking meat right there man

I was going to smoke my corned beef today but it's going to raining on and off all day today, don't have any cover on my patio. hopefully I'll be all good tomorrow.

mcfrank

hol-ee-shit!

that's some good looking meat right there man

I was going to smoke my corned beef today but it's going to raining on and off all day today, don't have any cover on my patio. hopefully I'll be all good tomorrow.
Thanks.
I need to try a pastrami sometime, but I like regular brisket more so it is hard to justify spending that much more time on it. My mother in laws boyfriend made a pastrami out of tri tip which turned out quite good.

phanphare

Banned
Thanks.
I need to try a pastrami sometime, but I like regular brisket more so it is hard to justify spending that much more time on it. My mother in laws boyfriend made a pastrami out of tri tip which turned out quite good.

I bought a brisket that was already corned :p it's soaking in water right now to get the salt out.

you could always try putting in a local craigslist ad too requesting it...might be surprised and what turns up

I've been consistently disappointed in Craigslist in my area but might be worth a try. My oak came in yesterday though I'm not using it today. Finishing off last years back of Apple wood from the local orchard with some Pork Butt.

CrankyJay

Banned
Amazing, you got my mouth watering for miles now.

This is how my brother does it. It's seriously delicious. Brings out the flavor of the meat like nothing else. I love a good sauce but I prefer salt/pepper at this point.

I feel lately I've been over rubbing. Gonna try less is more approach.

EBreda

I saw this video a few days ago. It seems like it might be what you are looking for.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

Perfect, thank you very much.

On a side note, I just some ribs (1.5 kg) following Cranky Jay's orders and it was DELICIOUS.

Couple of changes though : cooked in the oven for 3.5 hours in beer only (foil), no seasoning, 275. After that, I rubbed Bad Byron's Butt Rub, back in the oven for 15 minutes. Removed from foil, back in the oven for another 15 minutes, crispy.

Really amazing. Used couple more tbsp of brown sugar and juice of one lime.

Thanks CrankyJay

CrankyJay

Banned
Perfect, thank you very much.

On a side note, I just some ribs (1.5 kg) following Cranky Jay's orders and it was DELICIOUS.

Couple of changes though : cooked in the oven for 3.5 hours in beer only (foil), no seasoning, 275. After that, I rubbed Bad Byron's Butt Rub, back in the oven for 15 minutes. Removed from foil, back in the oven for another 15 minutes, crispy.

Really amazing. Used couple more tbsp of brown sugar and juice of one lime.

Thanks CrankyJay

Awesome, glad they turned out well for you!

phanphare

Banned
finally fixed up my pastrami tonight. it turned out really well. I was pretty surprised actually, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. so I smoked it on sunday at 215 for about 12 hours with pecan and apple wood. pulled it when it got to 175 internal and then refrigerated it until today. steamed it until 203 internal and then sliced it and served it. I just put some meat on seeded rye bread. it was delicious.

rubbed
tFAOfmi.jpg

~4 hours in
8tYxhxl.jpg

the next morning after being refrigerated all night
3y2VGtu.jpg

l6oDPEi.jpg

vi1jbR3.jpg

Top Bottom