• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Smoked some pork ribs and chicken quarters

ixoWUMwXGCCwH.jpg

mcfrank

finally fixed up my pastrami tonight. it turned out really well. I was pretty surprised actually, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. so I smoked it on sunday at 215 for about 12 hours with pecan and apple wood. pulled it when it got to 175 internal and then refrigerated it until today. steamed it until 203 internal and then sliced it and served it. I just put some meat on seeded rye bread. it was delicious.

Looks great.

CrankyJay

Banned
finally fixed up my pastrami tonight. it turned out really well. I was pretty surprised actually, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. so I smoked it on sunday at 215 for about 12 hours with pecan and apple wood. pulled it when it got to 175 internal and then refrigerated it until today. steamed it until 203 internal and then sliced it and served it. I just put some meat on seeded rye bread. it was delicious.

Wow. That looks amazing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Bout to fire up the egg for a 10lb brisket.

Local HEB had prime cuts of brisket for 25% off which was more or less the same price as the lesser cuts. First time doing a higher quality brisket. Its super flexible in the packaging.

captive

In case anyone wanted to see it.

8+ hours on the pit. Pecan and Cherry wood. I didn't wrap it in foil with juices, tried it a little different.

WP_20140928_15_20_55_Raw_zps020c53b1.jpg

8+ hours on the pit. Pecan and Cherry wood. I didn't wrap it in foil with juices, tried it a little different.

Two of my friends who do a lot of que are firm believers in less is better. So they never wrap meats, trim fat, etc. I think it's 100% a preference thing, but having tasted their food I trust their opinion. I tried it with my pork shoulder (posted above) and was quite happy with the results.

captive

Two of my friends who do a lot of que are firm believers in less is better. So they never wrap meats, trim fat, etc. I think it's 100% a preference thing, but having tasted their food I trust their opinion. I tried it with my pork shoulder (posted above) and was quite happy with the results.

yea theres no real wrong way to do BBQ other than to over cook it or make it too spicey.

But i wanted to get more bark on it and i have to say I'm not sure i liked the bark as much as i liked the added flavor and tenderness from wrapping the brisket in foil and putting beef broth with whatever beer i have on hand at the time.

That said the brisket was fantastic, and even though it was over 50 bucks, 10lbs ended up making 8 baked potato meals for the wife and i, 5 lunches for me, and then i bought 5 dollars worth of veggies and beans and made burnt ends chili yesterday which produced another 6 lunches for me.

CrankyJay

Banned
yea theres no real wrong way to do BBQ other than to over cook it or make it too spicey.

But i wanted to get more bark on it and i have to say I'm not sure i liked the bark as much as i liked the added flavor and tenderness from wrapping the brisket in foil and putting beef broth with whatever beer i have on hand at the time.

That said the brisket was fantastic, and even though it was over 50 bucks, 10lbs ended up making 8 baked potato meals for the wife and i, 5 lunches for me, and then i bought 5 dollars worth of veggies and beans and made burnt ends chili yesterday which produced another 6 lunches for me.

i fucked up a brisket one time and ended up making an incredible smoked brisket chili with it, brought it into work and my co-workers flipped out over it. felt good. lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I rarely wrap anything I smoke. Partially because I am lazy and also my food has been good without it.

I did a pork shoulder yesterday. I hadn't done one in awhile and forgot how long it takes. 11 hours later and an an hour of resting had some of the most tender pork I have every pulled. But I have to remember to do it on a Saturday. Doing it on Sunday and then going to work the next day is a drag.

Run my first smoke on Weber Smokey Mountain. Can't even state how important having a chimney starter is. Naturally, its the one thing you can't find in Ghana. Made starting my smoke way more complex than it had to be.

Managed to make it all work, and got some decent smoke ringed ribs. No pics tho, they just disappeared off the table.

Definitely working on getting a chimney starter before the next session on the smoker.

CrankyJay

Banned
Run my first smoke on Weber Smokey Mountain. Can't even state how important having a chimney starter is. Naturally, its the one thing you can't find in Ghana. Made starting my smoke way more complex than it had to be.

Managed to make it all work, and got some decent smoke ringed ribs. No pics tho, they just disappeared off the table.

Definitely working on getting a chimney starter before the next session on the smoker.

You could probably fabricate one fairly easily if you had access to a welder. Pretty awesome to have a WSM in Ghana.

My only experience with that country is Jungle Gold from the Discovery channel.

captive

i fucked up a brisket one time and ended up making an incredible smoked brisket chili with it, brought it into work and my co-workers flipped out over it. felt good. lol
i only do it with the point, but damn is the chili good.

I rarely wrap anything I smoke. Partially because I am lazy and also my food has been good without it.

I did a pork shoulder yesterday. I hadn't done one in awhile and forgot how long it takes. 11 hours later and an an hour of resting had some of the most tender pork I have every pulled. But I have to remember to do it on a Saturday. Doing it on Sunday and then going to work the next day is a drag.
I wrap partially because it speeds up the process. I did a butt one time and didnt wrap it, the cook ended up being 16+ hours. To me there is no percievable difference with amount of time on the pit. I guess this is why some guys Myron cook hot and fast at 300+

I also wrap to add flavors. With pork ribs i add butter and honey and apple juice, with brisket i add broth and beer, with butts i add apple juice. That one guy that won the big pig jig and bbq pitmasters this year says they do it to flavorize, tenderize and moisturize(in the most redneck accent you can produce) lol.

i dont know if your using briquettes or how this would work, but to light my pit i just take a couple paper towels and dip them in canola oil and then light them in fire with the charcoal on top and around them.

i only do it with the point, but damn is the chili good.

I wrap partially because it speeds up the process. I did a butt one time and didnt wrap it, the cook ended up being 16+ hours. To me there is no percievable difference with amount of time on the pit. I guess this is why some guys Myron cook hot and fast at 300+

I also wrap to add flavors. With pork ribs i add butter and honey and apple juice, with brisket i add broth and beer, with butts i add apple juice. That one guy that won the big pig jig and bbq pitmasters this year says they do it to flavorize, tenderize and moisturize(in the most redneck accent you can produce) lol.

i dont know if your using briquettes or how this would work, but to light my pit i just take a couple paper towels and dip them in canola oil and then light them in fire with the charcoal on top and around them.

You could probably fabricate one fairly easily if you had access to a welder. Pretty awesome to have a WSM in Ghana.

My only experience with that country is Jungle Gold from the Discovery channel.

I've been thinking of going the home made route but the paper + canola idea isn't bad at all

Shipped the WSM when I moved back home. Its funny how different our bbq culture is compared to that in the US. My other biggest problem right now is finding places to buy good cuts since the norm is just to ask for quarters/halves without emphasis on cuts

Hmm. Over at Amazing Ribs they seem to have found after a certain point flavors don't penetrate as much anymore. I guess the flavors would be limited to the outer bark. Though I like have a saltier and flavorful bark with the sauce acting as the added flavor.

After my last batch of bacon got messed up I've been itching to remake some. Normally I use Ruhlman's recipe but I wanted to try something different. So I opted to try Amazing Ribs wet brine method this time. Just pulled it off after throwing some applewood and cherry at it.

q0EsLgj.jpg

i have a question for BBQ Gaf :)

if i bbq a pizza do i offset?? direct heat?? im using a charcoal grill. i also dont have a stone like i seen people use for pizza.. can i put it directly on the grill??

For pizza you want to do high heat, and not low and slow smoking. You can put it directly on the grill, but the space between the grill grates is going to be problematic in most charcoal grills. I would highly recommend getting a good stone. If you don't have a stone, maybe try a pan or something. Not sure there, since we've always had a stone.

The hotter you can get your grill going the better it'll be for pizza. You want that thing screaming hot. Some pizzerias will get their pizza ovens going at 800 - 900 degrees.

captive

i have a question for BBQ Gaf :)

if i bbq a pizza do i offset?? direct heat?? im using a charcoal grill. i also dont have a stone like i seen people use for pizza.. can i put it directly on the grill??

i wouldnt do a pizza without a stone, period. Doesnt matter if its in the oven, on a grill, on a bbq.

Anyway, anyone smoking a turkey tomorrow? I'm doing a brine tonight and smoking it tomorrow. http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-turkey/

also reminder, you don't have to have soggy skin with a smoked turkey, just cook the bird hotter 300+, there's more than enough time to get a good smoke on that meat.

phanphare

Banned
I'm smoking a turkey breast tomorrow

gotta make the brine tonight. doing a cranberry pomegranate brine. hopefully that turns out well.

and yeah, I like to keep a steady 325 for poultry

-PXG-

Whenever I hosty own Thanksgiving, I'm doing BBQ. Regular ass turkey and cstuff is great, but ribs, chickens, pulled pork, links, brisket....sounds soooooo much better

Skipping the turkey this year. Smoking babybacks instead. It's going to be a great Thanksgiving.

Fucking champ right here, ladies and gentlemen

captive

Well yea, of course BBQ sounds much better. If I had my way I would do a nice brisket with smoked sausage and ribs depending on how many people. But, everyone wants turkey instead.

Turkey's been in the brine for 15 or so hours. Bout to fire up the egg and get ready.

phanphare

Banned
Happy Thanksgiving everybody

the brine turned out freaking amazing. I was expecting to be a bit underwhelmed for some reason but this turkey is great.

9Bxg7D2.jpg

zFU3Wrm.jpg

yes I need to clean my counter...

Meicyn

Gold Member
Nice turkey, that looks really good. I'll be smoking a turkey for Christmas when the folks come down, as it turns out.

For now though, just pulled these off.

4lsaNRe.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

CrankyJay

Banned
Just ordered the Masterbuilt 40" front controller electric smoker in an Amazon lightning deal.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZTMTCG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems like a pretty newbie friendly smoker. I plan on going thrigh this thread at length, but does anyone have some quick and dirty recommendations for things to start with? Meat and wood?

Super pumped to fire this up next week. Have wanted a meat smoker forever.

Congrats man, welcome to the family.

You can start with anything really...if you want to keep things simple, a chicken or chicken leg quarters are probably in order...should take 1 to 2 hours.

Or if you want to go for the long haul, do a pork shoulder.

The chicken is easy because of the short cooking time, the pork shoulder is easy because of how forgiving a cut of meat it is with its fat content.

Use fruit woods with poultry (apple, cherry, etc), as hickory tends to be pretty harsh on birds (for my tastes), and hickory for pork. You can always mix and match woods too.

GiJoccin

Use fruit woods with poultry (apple, cherry, etc), as hickory tends to be pretty harsh on birds (for my tastes), and hickory for pork. You can always mix and match woods too.

I was thinking about trying some hickory for pork, i've been using oak

how much heavier is the smoke with hickory vs oak?

CrankyJay

Banned
I was thinking about trying some hickory for pork, i've been using oak

how much heavier is the smoke with hickory vs oak?

not too much more...and pork can handle it well

i didn't mean to make hickory come off as super heavy, but where i'm at with my smoking, it's not as refined as hickory smokehouses that i have visited, so my hickory smokes end up being on the slightly stronger side.

if you end up pre-burning your hickory wood chunks a little bit to get the exterior burnt off i'd say you should be good to go

again, just my personal tastes

phanphare

Banned
Can you post the recipe for your turkey? It looks delicious!

yeah I just kind of eyed it out as I went along but here's the general gist of it

I made a brine with 1 jug of cranberry pomegranate juice, 3/4 cup of salt, a little bit of brown sugar, a little bit of honey, a little bit of thyme, a little bit of garlic powder, and a little bit of black pepper. then I filled that out with water, probably half a gallon or so. basically enough so that it'd cover the turkey. I also meant to squeeze out the juice of an orange in there and also throw the rind in there but I forgot and didn't want to go to the grocery on thanksgiving morning haha. so I brought all of that to a boil and then pulled it off the heat and let it get to room temperature, then I refrigerated it for a bit. then I put the turkey breast in the brine for about 5 hours. took it out and rinsed it off completely.

then I made a rub with equal parts oregano, cumin, sage, and dry mustard with a bit less thyme and chili powder also. rubbed it.

then I smoked it at 325 with primarily apple wood but I put a little bit of pecan wood in there too. pulled it at 160 internal and sliced.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Happy Thanksgiving everybody

the brine turned out freaking amazing. I was expecting to be a bit underwhelmed for some reason but this turkey is great.

yes I need to clean my counter...

Nice, I fried a turkey for the 3rd year in a row. I think I am going to do some ribs and a brisket flat today. I have had terrible luck with flats and going to keep trying until I get it right.

Paskil

Congrats man, welcome to the family.

You can start with anything really...if you want to keep things simple, a chicken or chicken leg quarters are probably in order...should take 1 to 2 hours.

Or if you want to go for the long haul, do a pork shoulder.

The chicken is easy because of the short cooking time, the pork shoulder is easy because of how forgiving a cut of meat it is with its fat content.

Thanks. I really want to work my way up to a brisket since my mouth always starts watering when I see those giant slabs of meat at Costco or the grocery store and think of the possibility. I might try some brats at the start, as well. Do ground meats smoke very well? I could see a smoked burger with smoked bacon working pretty well. I'm going to be looking at a lot of meat over the next few weeks. Super pumped.

Will be sure to take pictures to post up when I start using it. I'm pretty creative with my cooking, so will be sure to post up any unusual ideas I try, whether they work or not.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks. I really want to work my way up to a brisket since my mouth always starts watering when I see those giant slabs of meat at Costco or the grocery store and think of the possibility. I might try some brats at the start, as well. Do ground meats smoke very well? I could see a smoked burger with smoked bacon working pretty well. I'm going to be looking at a lot of meat over the next few weeks. Super pumped.

Will be sure to take pictures to post up when I start using it. I'm pretty creative with my cooking, so will be sure to post up any unusual ideas I try, whether they work or not.

Yeah, you can smoke meatloafs and meatballs so I don't see why you couldn't do a burger. Sausages are also very easy to smoke.

captive

My turkey turned out pretty awesome. Everyone loved it, sorry no pics, didn't want to be that guy while everyone was hungry.

Definitely recommend the big green egg recipe I posted on the last page.

Anybody have tips for cold weather smoking? I was thinking about smoking a standing rib roast for Christmas but have no experience smoking in cold weather. I'm mostly worried about heat loss. Do I just use more fuel?
Edit: I should say I'm in Rochester NY so I'm expecting cold and possibly snow.

Top Bottom