• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Anybody have tips for cold weather smoking? I was thinking about smoking a standing rib roast for Christmas but have no experience smoking in cold weather. I'm mostly worried about heat loss. Do I just use more fuel?
Edit: I should say I'm in Rochester NY so I'm expecting cold and possibly snow.

how insulated is your smoker?

If its not insulated at all, yes you will go through fuel faster. I dont really have any tips, other than its just like smoking during any other weather, watch your fire and temps and control as needed. Its a lot easier though when your pit is insulated.

I dont know about the rest of you but the wife and I cant stand too many days of left over turkey, so we put the leftovers in a southwest turkey chili recipe i found online. Shit is good, dare I say its better than the burnt ends chili I make.

Icefire1424

Anybody have tips for cold weather smoking? I was thinking about smoking a standing rib roast for Christmas but have no experience smoking in cold weather. I'm mostly worried about heat loss. Do I just use more fuel?

Ahhhhhhh Joey, we meet again. Was just going to comment that this isn't an uncommon occurrence in Syracuse either. Just be sure to shovel out a good path to your smoker is all.

I dont know about the rest of you but the wife and I cant stand too many days of left over turkey, so we put the leftovers in a southwest turkey chili recipe i found online. Shit is good, dare I say its better than the burnt ends chili I make.

Speaking of leftover turkey, we've gone through turkey quesadillas, turkey noodle soup, and "pulled" turkey BBQ sandwiches. I think I'm about done with turkey.

how insulated is your smoker?

If its not insulated at all, yes you will go through fuel faster. I dont really have any tips, other than its just like smoking during any other weather, watch your fire and temps and control as needed. Its a lot easier though when your pit is insulated.
It's a WSM. The walls are a bit thin but it's not like my El Cheapo Brinkmann I had in LA. I figured it was just keeping the fuel going.
Ahhhhhhh Joey, we meet again. Was just going to comment that this isn't an uncommon occurrence in Syracuse either. Just be sure to shovel out a good path to your smoker is all.
One thing I learned in my short time here is that WNYers don't let weather stop them from doing things. I'll give it a shot. Maybe I'll do a test run on a day leading up to Christmas.

Thanks guys.

CrankyJay

Banned

Scroll down to cold weather insulation section

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

I would go the Reflectix route. I actually just bought a roll at Home Depot on Sunday to insulate a polycarbonate tub for sous vide cooking. I'd imagine you can fashion a nice jacket for your WSM with it.

Paskil

I got my smoker on Monday and put it together. I preseasoned it last night. I have a whole chicken going in there right now, about two hours in at 225. Combination of cherry and hickory. I wanted to have a dry run before I go ham on Saturday. By ham, I mean two racks of ribs, a chicken, and a pan of macaroni and cheese. My brother wants to do some sausage in there, as well, but not sure if he was talking about brats, or what.

So far, it's looking pretty good. I didn't stick the thermometer in at the start so when I flip the chicken here, pretty soon, I might lose a bit more heat than hoped since I need to stick that into the bird. I live in Wisconsin so the smoker is sitting outside and it's 26 degrees.

Very excited to see how this turns out.

CrankyJay

Banned
I've only ever smoked Italian sausages but they only take about an hour and turn out awesome. Nice red outside, perfect snap on the casing and really juicy on the inside.

captive

Anyone smoking anything today? Its a gorgeous day in Houston, sunny and in the 60's.

Just put a Boston butt on.

I smoked 20 Marylands marinaded in Chipotle Adobo, a pork belly & a pork forequarter for a friends kids birthday a few weeks ago. The chicken came out incredibly, super juicy, nice smoke and crispy skin. The forequarter came out great too.

I really want to do a brisket again, but my smokers so leaky it's a pain to run for 12 hours.

Paskil

Smoked my first brisket and was a resounding success. Started it at 1AM. 225° for 13 hours. Wrapped in foil and towels and put in a cooler for two hours. Hickory and pecan wood. Packer brisket, total weight of 15.5 pounds.

Bought the brisket from Costco, was prime grade.

Bark
Z78S0kdh.jpg

Burnt ends chopped and ready to go back into the smoker for two hours.
4uwqhAJh.jpg

Flat prior to cutting.
g1eWQ7Yh.jpg

Smoked my first brisket and was a resounding success. Started it at 1AM. 225° for 13 hours. Wrapped in foil and towels and put in a cooler for two hours. Hickory and pecan wood. Packer brisket, total weight of 15.5 pounds.

Bark
Z78S0kdh.jpg

4uwqhAJh.jpg

Flat prior to cutting.
g1eWQ7Yh.jpg

That looks great

Wish I could get my hands on a brisket here

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have been smoking throughout the winter here. I'll post pics later. Ribs, pulled pork, whole chicken and brisket. Everything has been on point, but my brisket just isn't where it needs to be. Too dry, tough, etc. I need to go back in the lab and see exactly what the problem is.

captive

Bark
Z78S0kdh.jpg

4uwqhAJh.jpg

Flat prior to cutting.
g1eWQ7Yh.jpg
that looks great.

I have been smoking throughout the winter here. I'll post pics later. Ribs, pulled pork, whole chicken and brisket. Everything has been on point, but my brisket just isn't where it needs to be. Too dry, tough, etc. I need to go back in the lab and see exactly what the problem is.
how long do you smoke it and at what temp?

Smoked some St. Louis cut spare ribs last Friday. They turned out great!

estA5Xj.jpg
That also looks great.

Going to throw a couple of whole chickens in some brine and smoke them tomorrow.

EBreda

BBQ Gaf, please.
I'll be in the US for a couple of weeks and was wondering if you recommend any tools/sauces/rubs/apparatus to bring back home and improve my BBQ skills.

I'm obiously limited by luggage regulations, so no grills :/
Amazon preferred!

Thanks!

Chuckie

I envy you yanks for your BBQ culture. This spring I am going to try to make Pulled Pork. Wish me luck.

Also a question....you see these Big Green Eggs everywhere in Holland now. They are fucking expensive. Are they THAT good or is it more of a 'pay for the brand' issue?

dskillzhtown

Here is some baby backs from last weekend -
10995252_1403715829933371_721739703_n.jpg

Pulled Pork from a couple of days ago -
10946697_357616987759097_1072566205_n.jpg

A closer look at the pulled -
10919255_957766557568213_1949265049_n.jpg

As far as my brisket issues, I am doing nothing different. 225-250 until done. What I suspect what is happening is that I am not waiting long enough for it to be "done". I am using the toothpick test to gauge tenderness and not poking enough of the brisket. I am ending up with one side tender as can be and the other not tender enough for my tastes. I need to buy a flat and practice with that alone for awhile.

dskillzhtown

BBQ Gaf, please.
I'll be in the US for a couple of weeks and was wondering if you recommend any tools/sauces/rubs/apparatus to bring back home and improve my BBQ skills.

Amazon preferred!

Thanks!

Where are you visiting? I would definitely look for some local sauces and rubs. There are so many regional ones, that I wouldn't be able to suggest any. Go to a BBQ place or even a the local grocery store and people should be able to steer you in the right direction. As far as tools, I have all weber stuff which should be available on Amazon for you without buying it in person (though it may be cheaper at a hardware store like Home Depot).

I envy you yanks for your BBQ culture. This spring I am going to try to make Pulled Pork. Wish me luck.

Also a question....you see these Big Green Eggs everywhere in Holland now. They are fucking expensive. Are they THAT good or is it more of a 'pay for the brand' issue?

I personally don't believe they are worth the expense. I think that a better use would be to get a weber smokey mountain and spend the savings on accessories, aprons, utensils, meat, fuel, etc. and still have a bunch of money left over. I think Green Eggs are good products, but I couldn't justify the expense when I can create good product with my "lesser" smokers and grill.

captive

BBQ Gaf, please.

Amazon preferred!

Thanks!
I guess you could pick up some rubs and stuff?

They are really good, I have a large. Yes they are expensive, not sure how expensive they are in Holland. But when you compare them here in the States to a smoker that is insulated the prices begin to become comparable. If you compare it to a bottom of the line Weber or something like that, then yea, its going to look super expensive. The advantage being its super insulated, about an inch to inch and a half thick ceramic which holds heat really well. I've smoked when it was 40F outside and didn't use any more noticeable amount of fuel. I can do one load of lump in it and smoke for 14+ hours. I also love that it easily can turn into a grill, or just do indirect roasting. I use it a lot even for non smoking.

My brother and dad have the traditional offset smokers, neither is fairly thick in the metal department and they go through fuel so much quicker. Whether or not someone buys an Egg is up to them but I wouldn't buy a smoker that wasn't insulated. You save on cost in the long run by using less fuel.

https://igcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10995252_1403715829933371_721739703_n.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://igcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10946697_357616987759097_1072566205_n.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/10919255_957766557568213_1949265049_n.jpg[IMG]

As far as my brisket issues, I am doing nothing different. 225-250 until done. What I suspect what is happening is that I am not waiting long enough for it to be "done". I am using the toothpick test to gauge tenderness and not poking enough of the brisket. I am ending up with one side tender as can be and the other not tender enough for my tastes. I need to buy a flat and practice with that alone for awhile.[/QUOTE]
I use a probe thermometer to about 200 or 205 and its super tender.

Foggy

Funny, I haven't smoked anything since I moved down to Texas. I'm much more inclined to just go on a road trip to have EXCELLENT bbq than spend all day making it(even though that never bothered me in the past). I'd imagine once I finally try Franklin's I can go back and focus on brisket again. After eating at Snow's, Black's, and Smitty's I know my brisket has a loooooong way to go.

Chuckie

I personally don't believe they are worth the expense. I think that a better use would be to get a weber smokey mountain and spend the savings on accessories, aprons, utensils, meat, fuel, etc. and still have a bunch of money left over. I think Green Eggs are good products, but I couldn't justify the expense when I can create good product with my "lesser" smokers and grill.

Thanks. I rarely BBQ so I am not planning to buy one. Just wondered why they were that expensive hehe

They are really good, I have a large. Yes they are expensive, not sure how expensive they are in Holland.

A small one (not mini) is already around 750 euro without a stand. I BBQ maybe 3 times a year, that is just too much hehe. If I'd win the lottery I'd buy one ;)

captive

Thanks. I rarely BBQ so I am not planning to buy one. Just wondered why they were that expensive hehe

A small one (not mini) is already around 750 euro without a stand. I BBQ maybe 3 times a year, that is just too much hehe. If I'd win the lottery I'd buy one ;)
Geez, you can get a large for less than that here. But you only smoke a few times a year, just get something more practical then.

dskillzhtown

Funny, I haven't smoked anything since I moved down to Texas. I'm much more inclined to just go on a road trip to have EXCELLENT bbq than spend all day making it(even though that never bothered me in the past). I'd imagine once I finally try Franklin's I can go back and focus on brisket again. After eating at Snow's, Black's, and Smitty's I know my brisket has a loooooong way to go.

Sir, we are going to have to ask you to leave now, lol.

There are alot of great BBQ stands in the state. A good road trip in the Spring would be a good time. But BBQ is my hobby so I can't imagine not smoking something atleast once a week. Not everyone has the time or the dedication to it, but if you get started...you probably would get hooked.

Foggy

Sir, we are going to have to ask you to leave now, lol.

There are alot of great BBQ stands in the state. A good road trip in the Spring would be a good time. But BBQ is my hobby so I can't imagine not smoking something atleast once a week. Not everyone has the time or the dedication to it, but if you get started...you probably would get hooked.

Trust me, I'm itching to get back into it. It's great, because now I have a sense of what brisket *should* taste like. Living in Ohio afforded me no opportunity to really know how moist, how smoky, how tender great brisket is. There was no reference point to compare what I was making. Now I know what I'm making is quite good, but in a completely different league as the big guns(which was fully expected).

EBreda

Where are you visiting? I would definitely look for some local sauces and rubs. There are so many regional ones, that I wouldn't be able to suggest any. Go to a BBQ place or even a the local grocery store and people should be able to steer you in the right direction. As far as tools, I have all weber stuff which should be available on Amazon for you without buying it in person (though it may be cheaper at a hardware store like Home Depot).

I guess you could pick up some rubs and stuff?

They are really good, I have a large. Yes they are expensive, not sure how expensive they are in Holland. But when you compare them here in the States to a smoker that is insulated the prices begin to become comparable. If you compare it to a bottom of the line Weber or something like that, then yea, its going to look super expensive. The advantage being its super insulated, about an inch to inch and a half thick ceramic which holds heat really well. I've smoked when it was 40F outside and didn't use any more noticeable amount of fuel. I can do one load of lump in it and smoke for 14+ hours. I also love that it easily can turn into a grill, or just do indirect roasting. I use it a lot even for non smoking.

My brother and dad have the traditional offset smokers, neither is fairly thick in the metal department and they go through fuel so much quicker. Whether or not someone buys an Egg is up to them but I wouldn't buy a smoker that wasn't insulated. You save on cost in the long run by using less fuel.

I use a probe thermometer to about 200 or 205 and its super tender.

Ok, any recommended rubs @ Amazon? I bought Byron's Butt Rub once and it tasted good. Any others?
Thanks!

BBQ Gaf, please.

Amazon preferred!

Thanks!

Only thing I could recommend would be a good digital probe thermometer if you don't have one. Something like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ok, any recommended rubs @ Amazon? I bought Byron's Butt Rub once and it tasted good. Any others?
Thanks!

I highly agree with every one saying to make your own rub. That said though if you're new to BBQ, I would try out a few store bought ones, to find out what you like. Some people want stuff really hot and spicy, others want their rubs sweet and mild. I would try to get a small sampling, of the different types and see what you like. Once you know what you like its a lot easier to build a rub from that.

EBreda

Only thing I could recommend would be a good digital probe thermometer if you don't have one. Something like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Make your own. Seriously. You can make giant batches and save a ton of money.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/index.html

Bought the thermometer even though I already had one (but it was failing on me). I heard good things aboutht eh Mavericks. Thanks!

I'll buy onion/garlic/paprika powders in order to try making my own rub, then. Thanks!

https://igcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10995252_1403715829933371_721739703_n.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]https://igcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10946697_357616987759097_1072566205_n.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/10919255_957766557568213_1949265049_n.jpg[/IM]

As far as my brisket issues, I am doing nothing different. 225-250 until done. What I suspect what is happening is that I am not waiting long enough for it to be "done". I am using the toothpick test to gauge tenderness and not poking enough of the brisket. I am ending up with one side tender as can be and the other not tender enough for my tastes. I need to buy a flat and practice with that alone for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Looks damn good.

Going to be making a pork shoulder and a couple of tri-tips this weekend.

Paskil

Some really great pictures in here. So good. I made a 6 pound pork butt yesterday. Cubed it down to around 2-4 inch pieces and smoked for 3 hours at 275. Then I covered with foil and cooked for another hour and 15 minutes. I don't have any pictures, but I followed this recipe that I made some modifications to. I used pecan wood.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118493

I used a potato mashed to make it pulledish pork and put it on nachos with my homemade cheese sauce, salsa verde, and guacamole. The chips that had a little of everything were the best nachos I've ever eaten. Will try to remember to take a picture when I get home.

I already have corn tortillas with lime, cilantro, onion, and leftover salsa verde to make tacos with the remaining meat tonight.

Bought the thermometer even though I already had one (but it was failing on me). I heard good things aboutht eh Mavericks. Thanks!

I'll buy onion/garlic/paprika powders in order to try making my own rub, then. Thanks!

You should also buy some turbinado sugar, good peppercorns, and kosher salt. Turbinado sugar sells under the brand "Sugar in the Raw." It works great in rubs.

For peppercorns, I bought these from Costco and love them!

dskillzhtown

I wouldn't hesitate to try out different store-bought rubs as well. I know everyone is on the "Make your own" train, but nothing wrong with buying rubs to see what you like. See how different types of tubs taste on different meats. I try out different rubs all the time.

Thanks!

Dizzy Pig rubs are nice. A lot of variety depending on what kind of meat and flavor you're looking for. If you're going to make your own grab any number of BBQ books out there as they often have rub recipes in them. I did one from Chris Lily's book:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bob-Gibsons-BBQ-Book/dp/0307408116 and just tweaked it slightly and it was damn good. Good book too.

I wouldn't hesitate to try out different store-bought rubs as well. I know everyone is on the "Make your own" train, but nothing wrong with buying rubs to see what you like. See how different types of tubs taste on different meats. I try out different rubs all the time.

I agree. If you're just starting out store bought rubs can be a great tool for discovering what flavor profiles you prefer. Try several different kinds. If you find one you particularly like take a look at the ingredient list and you can build a similar rub based on it. This will usually give you a greater chance of success your first few times out making rubs. Plowboys and Oakridge are two brands available on amazon that have good word of mouth on BBQ Brethren (a forum dedicated to the ancient and mysterious art of smoking meats).

Damn you all to hell. Seeing all these ribs pictures are making me drool, but I only have a crock-pot and oven/broiler. They still turn out pretty good, but I just know I'm missing some badass flavor. Damn apartment regulations. Anyway, have fun q'ing everyone.

Also, good god at the size of the bones.

Its the one I use and it hasn't failed me yet, its nice having it wireless too since I live in an apartment.

I'd recommend getting your spices from a proper spice shop, and not from a local supermarket. I love the stuff I get from penzeys.com. There is such a night and day different in flavor/strength of good spices vs the stuff in supermarkets. Good hungarian paprika, or a smoked spanish paprika vs a supermarket paprika is night and day. All the supermarket stuff is good for is coloring, the real stuff will add flavor.

You should also buy some turbinado sugar, good peppercorns, and kosher salt. Turbinado sugar sells under the brand "Sugar in the Raw." It works great in rubs.

YES! This too. You could go with brown sugar (and I do plenty of times) but the turbinado stuff won't burn as easily.

captive

I forgot another reason I love my Egg.

WP_20150201_17_57_59_Raw_zpstcyzstlj.jpg

WP_20150201_18_50_33_Raw_zpsmoqftmuz.jpg

Homemade pizza. In more or less a brick oven, and two pizzas at the same time. This was for Superbowl Sunday.

Also, I need some BBQ sauce tips. My wife and my mom LOVE my BBQ sauce, but I think its too thick, it ends up being somewhere between a BBQ sauce and paste, in its thickness. I suspect its the honey I put in. I usually put some water and jack Daniels in a pot over low heat and add my sugars and then the rest and its loose like I want it for a little while but ends up thickening a lot. The base is ketchup, mustard and a little vinegar, the rest is just powdered spices like Cheyenne.

Anyone got any tips?

CrankyJay

Banned
Also, I need some BBQ sauce tips. My wife and my mom LOVE my BBQ sauce, but I think its too thick, it ends up being somewhere between a BBQ sauce and paste, in its thickness. I suspect its the honey I put in. I usually put some water and jack Daniels in a pot over low heat and add my sugars and then the rest and its loose like I want it for a little while but ends up thickening a lot. The base is ketchup, mustard and a little vinegar, the rest is just powdered spices like Cheyenne.

Anyone got any tips?

Thin it back out with apple cider vinegar.

captive

Why is crankyjay always banned? lol

Got a 11lb pork butt on the egg and a whole chicken in some brine for my 30th birthday celebration today.

dskillzhtown

Hello all, I haven't posted in awhile but I have been putting my Webers to use. I got into a bit of a slump with my brisket though. I never thought it was tender/moist enough. This lasted for a couple of months really. Then recently at the Houston Rodeo Cookoff I ran into Tuffy Stone. We were chit chatting and he asked about my BBQing. I told him I felt like I had a good mastery of everything, but my brisket had been giving me issues. He gave me some advice of staying true to slow and low and controlling the smoker temps to the point that they my be under the desired figure. Temps being too low for a bit is fine, but being too high is a disaster. So the next day I fired up the smokers and did two briskets and racks of baby backs and spares. Everything turned out perfectly. It may have been helped by the storm that came through in the middle of it, but I'll take it!!

Me and Tuffy Stone

16181617744_509e147bab_c.jpg

Baby Backs and Spares, the same set-up on the lower level, WSM - 14.5"

16778094636_452642f00d_c.jpg"

In the process

16616582090_db98bc6771_c.jpg"

Done Baby Backs and Spares

16802856902_5061f0fa00_c.jpg

Smoking the the rain -

16181619214_4282af1dbf_c.jpg"

Sliced Brisket

16778093936_b2dea287e0_c.jpg"

Another sliced brisket - Close up

16616582280_8e2daf640b_c.jpg"

A great cook that took all day, but was well worth it. I took over half of it to my parents and let them eat good all week.

captive

Hello all, I haven't posted in awhile but I have been putting my Webers to use. I got into a bit of a slump with my brisket though. I never thought it was tender/moist enough. This lasted for a couple of months really. Then recently at the Houston Rodeo Cookoff I ran into Tuffy Stone. We were chit chatting and he asked about my BBQing. I told him I felt like I had a good mastery of everything, but my brisket had been giving me issues. He gave me some advice of staying true to slow and low and controlling the smoker temps to the point that they my be under the desired figure. Temps being too low for a bit is fine, but being too high is a disaster. So the next day I fired up the smokers and did two briskets and racks of baby backs and spares. Everything turned out perfectly. It may have been helped by the storm that came through in the middle of it, but I'll take it!!

Me and Tuffy Stone

16181617744_509e147bab_c.jpg

Baby Backs and Spares, the same set-up on the lower level, WSM - 14.5"

16778094636_452642f00d_c.jpg"

In the process

16616582090_db98bc6771_c.jpg"

Done Baby Backs and Spares

16802856902_5061f0fa00_c.jpg

Smoking the the rain -

16181619214_4282af1dbf_c.jpg"

Sliced Brisket

16778093936_b2dea287e0_c.jpg"

Another sliced brisket - Close up

16616582280_8e2daf640b_c.jpg"

A great cook that took all day, but was well worth it. I took over half of it to my parents and let them eat good all week.

Dude, that's awesome, congrats on meeting Tuffy. Was he here competing, judging or just hanging out?

Also your brisket looks fantastic. Had you been trying hotter methods and that's why he said go back to low and slow?

mcfrank

And we are off for wife's bday bbq. Here is my planned timing.

Wake up at 2 am and start coals - check
Brisket on at 3am - check
Debate drinking coffee or beer - on going
Pork shoulder on at 6am
Ribs on at 11am
Hot links on at 2pm

Pull everything at 4pm, eat at 5:30pm

Rimshot

I'm completely new to gas grills, bu that's the only thing that I'm allowed to have on my patio so I have been eyeing a couple of different models. So the two that I'm probably going to end up choosing from is the Weber Spirit E-210 Original, or the Broil King Baron 340.

Does anyone here own one of them, or have used them?
Which seems like the better option to start my grilling with? :)

andycapps

I'm completely new to gas grills, bu that's the only thing that I'm allowed to have on my patio so I have been eyeing a couple of different models. So the two that I'm probably going to end up choosing from is the Weber Spirit E-210 Original, or the Broil King Baron 340.

Does anyone here own one of them, or have used them?
Which seems like the better option to start my grilling with? :)

Hard to go wrong with Weber. You take care of them and they'll last forever. And if you have issues, their support is typically pretty great.

Top Bottom