• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

So I'm going real cheap just for the hell of it. Going to build a metal trash can smoker; drew up some plans with my brother and have it all planned out. Just curious if it actually works. Don't want to spend the money on something really expensive quite yet so if I can get by on this cheap alternative for a few months I will be happy.

Anyone ever do something like this? Curious of the results if so.

Rimshot

Hard to go wrong with Weber. You take care of them and they'll last forever. And if you have issues, their support is typically pretty great.

In Sweden they have pretty much 90% of the market, so everyone recommends them :) The Broil King has three burners on the same area instead of two that the Weber has, which is why I'm having a hard time choosing as the guy in the store said that would make for a higher heat.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
So I'm going real cheap just for the hell of it. Going to build a metal trash can smoker; drew up some plans with my brother and have it all planned out. Just curious if it actually works. Don't want to spend the money on something really expensive quite yet so if I can get by on this cheap alternative for a few months I will be happy.

Anyone ever do something like this? Curious of the results if so.

Alton Brown made one using a big clay pot and a hot plate + pan.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/pulled-pork-0126558.html

rxdco07

Hello all, I haven't posted in awhile but I have been putting my Webers to use. I got into a bit of a slump with my brisket though. I never thought it was tender/moist enough. This lasted for a couple of months really. Then recently at the Houston Rodeo Cookoff I ran into Tuffy Stone. We were chit chatting and he asked about my BBQing. I told him I felt like I had a good mastery of everything, but my brisket had been giving me issues. He gave me some advice of staying true to slow and low and controlling the smoker temps to the point that they my be under the desired figure. Temps being too low for a bit is fine, but being too high is a disaster. So the next day I fired up the smokers and did two briskets and racks of baby backs and spares. Everything turned out perfectly. It may have been helped by the storm that came through in the middle of it, but I'll take it!!

Me and Tuffy Stone

16181617744_509e147bab_c.jpg

Baby Backs and Spares, the same set-up on the lower level, WSM - 14.5"

16778094636_452642f00d_c.jpg"

In the process

16616582090_db98bc6771_c.jpg"

Done Baby Backs and Spares

16802856902_5061f0fa00_c.jpg

Smoking the the rain -

16181619214_4282af1dbf_c.jpg"

Sliced Brisket

16778093936_b2dea287e0_c.jpg"

Another sliced brisket - Close up

16616582280_8e2daf640b_c.jpg"

A great cook that took all day, but was well worth it. I took over half of it to my parents and let them eat good all week.

GO COOOOGS!

And we are off for wife's bday bbq. Here is my planned timing.

Wake up at 2 am and start coals - check
Brisket on at 3am - check
Debate drinking coffee or beer - on going
Pork shoulder on at 6am
Ribs on at 11am
Hot links on at 2pm

Pull everything at 4pm, eat at 5:30pm

iGrill?

I've been researching that thing. How is it? How accurate is it?

Paskil

That brisket up there looks amazing. I did a packer brisket recently and ended up with a flat that was a little tougher than I would have lived. The point was amazing. I ended up using the dripings to make a gravy that I turned into a brisket pot pie a few days later. Turned out fantastic!

Next time I'll get it right. Next time.

mcfrank

iGrill?

I've been researching that thing. How is it? How accurate is it?

As far as I can tell it is accurate. When I first got it I stuck it in some boiling water and it said it was 210 if I recall. I have the original model that looks like this -

igrill.png

Not one of the new minis. A set of batteries typically lasts me 4 - 5 brisket smokes and the bluetooth rage stretches about 2 rooms deep into my house when it is paired with my iPad Air.

As far as I can tell it is accurate. When I first got it I stuck it in some boiling water and it said it was 210 if I recall. I have the original model that looks like this -

igrill.png

Not one of the new minis. A set of batteries typically lasts me 4 - 5 brisket smokes and the bluetooth rage stretches about 2 rooms deep into my house when it is paired with my iPad Air.

Really cool, thanks!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Anyone checked out this book yet? It just recently came out.

Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto

I read through it and it's got some good information in there. It's not heavy on the recipes though, but he does a nice job of going over the basics in detail especially if you've got a stick burner like I do (He built his from old propane tanks). I was surprised to learn he had little experience cooking brisket before opening his own place and rising to the level of success he did as fast as he did. He seems like a genuinely cool dude, too.

NysGAF

Hi BBQ GAF. My dad surprised me with a Traeger for my birthday. Now I've volunteered to cook for Mother's Day. What should I make? My father in law is great with a grill, so I need something that can only be done (or is done much better) with a smoker to try and get to his level and not disappoint everyone involved.

pharmx

Hi BBQ GAF. My dad surprised me with a Traeger for my birthday. Now I've volunteered to cook for Mother's Day. What should I make? My father in law is great with a grill, so I need something that can only be done (or is done much better) with a smoker to try and get to his level and not disappoint everyone involved.

Smoked chicken is pretty easy, and usually comes out mouth-wateringly delicious. I'd say beef short-ribs come out of a smoker pretty amazing too.

mcfrank

Pulled pork is the most forgiving for first time bbq in my opinion and is not something that could have been grilled.

mcfrank

I read through it and it's got some good information in there. It's not heavy on the recipes though, but he does a nice job of going over the basics in detail especially if you've got a stick burner like I do (He built his from old propane tanks). I was surprised to learn he had little experience cooking brisket before opening his own place and rising to the level of success he did as fast as he did. He seems like a genuinely cool dude, too.

I didn't think it came out til may. Thanks for the reminder. It will be here on Friday.

amazing, didn't know he had a book coming. Thanks!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I really wish the line wasn't so ridiculous. I don't live in Austin, so the prospect of spending that much time in line on a visit to Austin doesn't please me, but I would love to try his BBQ.
I hope its better than the Salt Lick, everyone in Austin raved about it when I was in college there, but their brisket definitely leaves something to be desired.

Wow, what a difference brining pork tenderloin makes, moreso than any other meat I've brined. Might be my staple meat going forward, used to find it too dry.

captive

Wow, what a difference brining pork tenderloin makes, moreso than any other meat I've brined. Might be my staple meat going forward, used to find it too dry.

Have you brined chicken? Holy shit, its so good. I did pulled pork and a whole chicken for my birthday last month, and the chicken was better, easily.

I have, but didn't notice as much of a difference between all the dark meat and bone-in keeping it from drying.

Might try it on boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I usually marinate them in something but brining might make more of a difference.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I really wish the line wasn't so ridiculous. I don't live in Austin, so the prospect of spending that much time in line on a visit to Austin doesn't please me, but I would love to try his BBQ.
I hope its better than the Salt Lick, everyone in Austin raved about it when I was in college there, but their brisket definitely leaves something to be desired.

I'm going to tough it out next time I visit Austin. I keep hearing people rave about it, so I have to try it eventually.

ohkay

So I've been thinking about getting a smoker for a while because I wanted to try making brisket, but I don't have a ton of free time to cook. What would I be able to make with like 4-5 hours total time to watch the smoker?

captive

So I've been thinking about getting a smoker for a while because I wanted to try making brisket, but I don't have a ton of free time to cook. What would I be able to make with like 4-5 hours total time to watch the smoker?

You can cook a lot. Fall off the bone ribs. Which most people like, except for competitions, is really easy. Baby backs, 1.5 hours of smoke, 1 hour in the foil. They will literally fall off the bone.

I do my briskets in about 6 hours, 225-250 for 4 hours then 275-325 wrapped in foil for the last hour or two, till it hits 205 internal temp. You could flats quicker, or you could do the Myron mixon method at 325.

A Whole chicken takes about an hour and half at 300. Turkey, takes a little bit longer just cause its bigger but still can be done in 3 or so hours depending on how big the bird is and what temp you do.

Sausage really only takes a few minutes.

I'm really subscribing to the theory that only a certain amount of smoke is necessary, and hot and fast can be just as good as low and slow/. IE brisket at 4 hours then wrap. The wrapping will speed the brisket through the stall no problem.

Rimshot

So ended up going with something I did not expect. Instead of the Weber or Broil King I went with Landmann who costed as much but gave 4 burners instead of three or 2 and was a lot larger (did not want large in the beginning though :x so not sure if that's a win). The model I got is the Landmann Avalon 12792 that seems to have gotten best in test a few years in a row for that price range. Anyone here tried using it for smoking and grilling? Or have any general experience with it? :)

So after researching and mulling over I decided to not risk using a galvanized treated garbage can to smoke, and just decided to use my Weber kettle.

Did a 3.5 pound pork butt today for some PP, texas style. What an amazing outcome. Think I'll stick with this until I can afford something else.

May post a pic if I can get a nice one.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
So after researching and mulling over I decided to not risk using a galvanized treated garbage can to smoke, and just decided to use my Weber kettle.

Did a 3.5 pound pork butt today for some PP, texas style. What an amazing outcome. Think I'll stick with this until I can afford something else.

May post a pic if I can get a nice one.

I was surprised at how well the weber kettle maintained heat for smoking using the snake method. I ran a brisket on there for 10 hours with no problems. It's perfect for when I just want to do some ribs or a small pork shoulder without having to fuss with the big smoker I have. Easily worth the $150 I paid for it.

ag-my001

I couldn't have a grill while I lived in a condo, but now I've inherited one when I moved in with my fiancee. It's an old charcoal grill, but pretty beat up with a bad coal rack and rusty holes in the bottom. Obviously not ideal. I'm looking to upgrade, but wanted something where I could grill or smoke. The Vision Grill Kamado Pro caught my eye, big enough for my smoked turkey Thanksgiving plans, but at a significant savings compared to a BGE. Any owners here with reviews or advice?

Also, what are people seeing for brisket prices? Obviously they will vary by location, but I'm seeing anywhere from $10/lb to $6.50 for just the flat.

I couldn't have a grill while I lived in a condo, but now I've inherited one when I moved in with my fiancee. It's an old charcoal grill, but pretty beat up with a bad coal rack and rusty holes in the bottom. Obviously not ideal. I'm looking to upgrade, but wanted something where I could grill or smoke. The Vision Grill Kamado Pro caught my eye, big enough for my smoked turkey Thanksgiving plans, but at a significant savings compared to a BGE. Any owners here with reviews or advice?

Also, what are people seeing for brisket prices? Obviously they will vary by location, but I'm seeing anywhere from $10/lb to $6.50 for just the flat.

Wow! See if there is a GFS nearby or join the St. Louis BBQ Society or KCBS and get access to Restaurant Depot (if there's one nearby) as you can get brisket for under $4/lb.

Love my BGE so can't really comment on other Kamados.

ag-my001

Part of the problem is being in Maryland. Most cattle around here are dairy, so prices are always elevated. The butcher at my local shop was complaining that his wholesale price was around $6/lb for the brisket. One of those cases where a lack of demand (most people who bbq here do pork) leads to higher prices.

Beef and pork is very expensive now. Even through restaurant depot, which is usually fairly cheap, full packers were around $5 per pound. Whatever you do not buy a flat from a grocery store. All of the fat will likely have been trimmed off and you wont have much in the way of natural flavoring.

Paskil

Going to buy some eye of round and slice it about 1/8 inch thick to smoke into jerky. Either this week before I fly on Friday or before my planned camping trip next weekend. Anyone have experience with this? My understanding is the key is to get all the excess fat out. Then I would smoke at like 150 for 4-6 hours, depending in the meat.

My smoker has grill like racks and I'm not really looking to put the meat directly on the racks. Any tips for a cooking pan for maximum smoke impact? I'm thinking maybe a mix of hickory and cherry. Probably will teriyaki it up with the first batch.

captive

A choice cut of brisket is normally $3.48/lb here. When it goes on sale it can be had for less than $2/lb. Prime cut is usually around 5.48 normally. On sale it can be had for 3.48ish.
Always buy a whole packer, they are cheaper and have more fat on them. The super trimmed or flats usually have been too aggressively trimmed.

Pork butts are usually $1.97/lb. We bought one the other day for 99 cents a lb.

A whole chicken is a great value over just breasts or other parts, unless those parts are on sale. A whole chicken around here is usually $1.27/lb

Going to buy some eye of round and slice it about 1/8 inch thick to smoke into jerky. Either this week before I fly on Friday or before my planned camping trip next weekend. Anyone have experience with this? My understanding is the key is to get all the excess fat out. Then I would smoke at like 150 for 4-6 hours, depending in the meat.

My smoker has grill like racks and I'm not really looking to put the meat directly on the racks. Any tips for a cooking pan for maximum smoke impact? I'm thinking maybe a mix of hickory and cherry. Probably will teriyaki it up with the first batch.
How well practiced are you at holding a temperature? Smoking jerky is kind of difficult. You don't want to cook it, so you are right on at keeping it under 200. I've read 175ish is the sweet spot. But the trick is to keep the fire going and smoking without getting above 200.

You'll want to keep the exit vent almost closed, while the air intake vent almost wide open. And I would just put it on the rack, it will give it that grill mark look.

I usually just use my dehydrator to do jerky. Its a lot easier. I have smoked some and then put it on the dehydrator to finish it off. It definitely adds a different flavor and look to the jerky.

jwk94

GAF, I love to cook but idk how to BBQ. I've never done it before. Where do I start? Don't say steak because i prefer mine pan seared lol. THanks!

captive

GAF, I love to cook but idk how to BBQ. I've never done it before. Where do I start? Don't say steak because i prefer mine pan seared lol. THanks!
At its most basic, BBQ is the method of cooking large cuts of meat slowly over low heat. Cooking a steak, no matter the method is never BBQ.

I would start with smoking some sausages or ribs, they're both really easy and fairly difficult to mess up. Learn about tending the fire and holding a temp.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I'm thinking of getting it. Hopefully it is more about his history than actual BBQ. I find personal stories more interesting in these types of books.

We have a place here in Houston called "Corkscrew BBQ" which has had a similar rise to fame. A few stories in the paper, some high-profile reviews and now they have a 45 min+ line every single day. Some days the line is over 2 hours. Good for them, but their BBQ ain't THAT good.

Paskil

How well practiced are you at holding a temperature? Smoking jerky is kind of difficult. You don't want to cook it, so you are right on at keeping it under 200. I've read 175ish is the sweet spot. But the trick is to keep the fire going and smoking without getting above 200.

You'll want to keep the exit vent almost closed, while the air intake vent almost wide open. And I would just put it on the rack, it will give it that grill mark look.

I usually just use my dehydrator to do jerky. Its a lot easier. I have smoked some and then put it on the dehydrator to finish it off. It definitely adds a different flavor and look to the jerky.

The temperature isn't an issue. I took the cowards route and got an electric smoker (mostly because it was a helluva deal). I really enjoy smoking so I'm planning on 'upgrading' at some point to a BGE or some other non-electric smoker. Seems more authentic that way. In the meantime, there is very little variance in the temp so long as I keep the door closed and the outside temp isn't too ridiculous.

I'll give the direct racks a shot. I just didn't want to deal with having the smoker door open for an extended period while I messed around trying to place down a bunch of strips of clingy raw meat.

You are probably right about the easier part. To start out, though, I'm trying a lot of different things in the smoker to see what works and what is better attempted through another route.

andycapps

In Sweden they have pretty much 90% of the market, so everyone recommends them :) The Broil King has three burners on the same area instead of two that the Weber has, which is why I'm having a hard time choosing as the guy in the store said that would make for a higher heat.

I think two burners should be fine. In my experience with propane I've never had issues needing higher heat, but have found that the consistency of heat across the surface to be the main issue for me. Every grill has hot spots, it seems like.

At its most basic, BBQ is the method of cooking large cuts of meat slowly over low heat. Cooking a steak, no matter the method is never BBQ.

I would start with smoking some sausages or ribs, they're both really easy and fairly difficult to mess up. Learn about tending the fire and holding a temp.

Right, low and slow = BBQ. High and fast = Grilling.

If you have a kettle grill I've heard of some good results using the coal on one side with a water pan under your meat on the other side.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am halfway done and it is all his personal story and his philosophy of bbq and work ethic. Good stuff.

Good to hear. I hate those BBQ books that are all about teaching basics and recipes. I can get that crap on YouTube or 1000 other places. The personal stories are what should make the books different. I love Aaron's approach. Basically saying that he does things his way, but there are many ways to get a similar result.

Just ordered the book off Amazon. Look forward to reading it. The last BBQ book I read was about a couple of guys driving around Texas visiting all of the BBQ joints. It should have been fascinating, but it was the most boring crap ever. It was basically one review after another.

phanphare

Banned
Right, low and slow = BBQ. High and fast = Grilling.

If you have a kettle grill I've heard of some good results using the coal on one side with a water pan under your meat on the other side.

yeah I smoke on a 22" weber kettle and it works really great. coal on one side, drip pan below the meat, and a water pan on the top grate in between the meat and the coal. when I did that pastrami a while back I kept it right at 215 for the whole cook.

weather's finally getting better so I'm fixin' to start smoking again. was going to this past weekend but the weather didn't hold up. it's been rainy and windy for a few days now.

GiJoccin

I'm thinking of getting it. Hopefully it is more about his history than actual BBQ. I find personal stories more interesting in these types of books.

just cracked open the franklin BBQ book!

i won't have a chance to fully read and digest it, but it's chock full o stories - the first chapter is long and all about the history of him learning BBQ and opening up the restaurant

then there's a chapter on selecting a smoker (he likes offset smokers - boo for my weber smokey mountain), modifying smokers, building your own smoker (!), wood selection, fire building and maintenance

basically TONS of info on how to smoke, with many stories sprinkled throughout

there are only 4 actual recipes for meats, and then a few for sauces and sides in the last few pages of the book

i'm excited to give it a proper read and see if i can put out better BBQ with his tips

i think it's really good to watch his videos he put out for PBS a couple of years ago, many of his tips haven't changed since then, and it's nice to see him cooking on video

otapnam

just cracked open the franklin BBQ book!

i won't have a chance to fully read and digest it, but it's chock full o stories - the first chapter is long and all about the history of him learning BBQ and opening up the restaurant

then there's a chapter on selecting a smoker (he likes offset smokers - boo for my weber smokey mountain), modifying smokers, building your own smoker (!), wood selection, fire building and maintenance

basically TONS of info on how to smoke, with many stories sprinkled throughout

there are only 4 actual recipes for meats, and then a few for sauces and sides in the last few pages of the book

i'm excited to give it a proper read and see if i can put out better BBQ with his tips

i think it's really good to watch his videos he put out for PBS a couple of years ago, many of his tips haven't changed since then, and it's nice to see him cooking on video

Its a beautifully designed and photographed book as well

Top Bottom