• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
But don't you want to be SAVED? Is it so much to ask for you to cast off petty material things like opinions and logic just to have your own place in Paradise?! :D

Did you play Silent Hill 3 recently or something? :p

AniHawk

vitaflo said:
Japan LTD:

Wii: 350,358
X360: 174,016
PS3: 156,400

Not entirely accurate. Gotta wait for the next 4k MS sells this week (Blue Dragon is the week after, right?) and the 30k Sony sells.

314687830_0003eadcce_o.png

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
even so it's still crazy thinking, he is saying that just because a bunch of games consisting of minigames flopped, 3rd parties games sell like crap on Wii. there isnt a single high profile 3rd party game on Wii's line up right now it's just a bunch of minigames and glorified tech demos call me back when a high profile 3rd party game on Wii bombs then he'll have a point.

bigger fanbase=increases a game chances of performing well on the sales chart. sorry but 20k copies on the week a game launched is a bomb sorry. maybe the situation of the Xbox brand in japan is so bad that now a game that does over 20k (the week it launched) in the system is considered a success if so then my bad for not getting that memo

So games like Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, and Red Steel are just a bunch of mini-games?

I like how you keep ignoring the logic behind the X360 taking off and instead just repeat stuff about games doing 20k on X360. Did you not notice that there are games doing more than that?

I mean Culdcept Saga did 25k opening on X360 with a userbase of 170k. On the PS2 with a userbase of 20 million, how many units do you think it would've opened with? 40k? Maybe 50k? Why don't you understand what's going on here. If Blue Dragon draws in the rpg crowd and knocks the X360 hardware to say double at ~350k, whose to say the next rpg won't open at 50k now AKA THE SAME AS IT WOULD HAVE OPENED ON THE PS2. Now at 350k systems vs. 20 million systems 3rd parties are seeing the same return results in sales numbers.

Pop that 350k to 1 million over a year and if the software sales double you're looking at 100k opening for rpgs. Now you have games selling more than they do on PS2 with 1/20th the amount of hardware. Why? Because the people who buy X360 are GAMERS. Aka, people who LOVE GAMES and want to BUY GOOD GAMES. The tie-ratio for X360 in US and JPN is much higher than any of the other consoles. Logically this means if they can just get the hardware into more hands while keeping the ratio, they will be selling more software than on any other system.

3rd parties have seen this already. Look at X360's support this winter in Japan. More and more you'll see 3rd parties moving over to the X360 and more and more you'll see consumers moving along with it.

MS didn't fail in Japan because Japanese people are racist against Western consoles. The average Japanese person doesn't think beyond "Hey, this system has cool games; I'll buy it!". A logo is a logo, not country/religion/whatever. X360 has stuttered badly as it just didn't have the games. But now it does.

Do I expect the X360 to sell millions overnight? No. Do I expect the system to sell 20 million like the PS2? No. Do I expect in 3-4 years for SOFTWARE to sell every bit as good as software has sold on the PS2 in the last few years? If the ball starts rolling...DEFINITELY. The X360 will never be the billion system seller like the DS because the X360 is not trying to appeal to the mainstream non-gamer casual crowd whose spending money. Maybe the Wii will grab this crowd, who knows. The thing is that this mainstream crowd is like the Madden crowd in the US, they buy 1 or maybe two games a year. Meanwhile X360 will become the machine of GAMERS, aka. the people who buy 5-50 games a year. At the end of the day software developers will say "do we want to make a game for the system that no one buys games for? Or to the system with a moderate userbase but every game sells well on?", and X360 will be the direction they choose.

Many think X360's lifetime track record in Japan is damning evidence that they'll never recover, but in actuality the track record is VERY POSITIVE due to the high tie-ratio software-wise. If the PSP had the tie-ratio that the X360 has it would've stayed neck and neck with the DS and maybe even taken the most software support. Same goes for the GC. Most companies would KILL for a tie-ratio that the X360 has. Moving hardware is not the big problem if you want to attract developers; moving software is and the X360 has that covered.

You can close your eyes and cover your ears and with all your might pretend you can't hear,

but if the dice roll and roll just right, I think you'll be seeing one heck of a night,

MS will cheer, as will gamers at home; playing BD, talking about how much it does own.

Then the third parties will come, before you can see; and we'll say "who was right?"...that's right it was ME!

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Not entirely accurate. Gotta wait for the next 4k MS sells this week (Blue Dragon is the week after, right?) and the 30k Sony sells.
Yeah, BD is next week (on sale the 7th with the bundle). I'm so curious of the rumors that 100k bundles were pre-ordered.

At the least, I expect 30k 360's.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bebpo your too focused on the numbers. 50k may be the max it sells on ps2, but thats probably the most that game would sell on any system. The 360 isnt some magic system that makes more people buy games.

The bigger the userbase gets the greater the "GAMERZZZZ" to "OMG CASUALZZZZ" ratio gets.

sprsk

Blue dragon technically isnt a 3rd party game either. It's being paid for by microsoft.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, BD is next week (on sale the 7th with the bundle). I'm so curious of the rumors that 100k bundles were pre-ordered.

At the least, I expect 30k 360's.
Ummm... are you serious?

Bebpo

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Blue dragon technically isnt a 3rd party game either.

Blue Dragon's job isn't to be the pioneer to show what 3rd party sales can be. BD's job is simply to expand the userbase from 170k to 300k and then overtime expand from that 300k to 1 million by being one of many games that will pile up and convince gamers to purchase an X360.

sprsk

-_-

So what do we have left for the 360 this month in japan.

EDF3? Culdecept is already dead so leave that out. Theres BD and..................................................................wow! AWESOME LINEUP DUDE!

Bebpo

Banned
sp0rsk said:
-_-

EDF3? Culdecept is already dead so leave that out. Theres BD and..................................................................wow! AWESOME LINEUP DUDE!

Umm, Lost Planet? Winning Eleven?

Not really sure why you are so hostile to the X360 having the best lineup this month in Japan...

sprsk

Bebpo said:
Umm, Lost Planet? Winning Eleven?

Not really sure why you are so hostile to the X360 having the best lineup this month in Japan...

Oh okay forgot about lost planet (wait, is that this month?) Winning eleven already came out on ps2 last week brah where you been.

Hero

Bebpo said:
I mean Culdcept Saga did 25k opening on X360 with a userbase of 170k. On the PS2 with a userbase of 20 million, how many units do you think it would've opened with? 40k? Maybe 50k? Why don't you understand what's going on here. If Blue Dragon draws in the rpg crowd and knocks the X360 hardware to say double at ~350k, whose to say the next rpg won't open at 50k now AKA THE SAME AS IT WOULD HAVE OPENED ON THE PS2. Now at 350k systems vs. 20 million systems 3rd parties are seeing the same return results in sales numbers.

Who cares about if a game sells to 1/10th of the user base or 1/100 of the user base if the number sold is the same? Do third parties magically make more money because their Japanese-oriented RPG sold a copy to every other Xbox instead of to every 1000th PS2 sold? In the end they're going to make the money off the number of games they sold and third parties are more interested in consoles with a bigger user base.

Pop that 350k to 1 million over a year and if the software sales double you're looking at 100k opening for rpgs. Now you have games selling more than they do on PS2 with 1/20th the amount of hardware. Why? Because the people who buy X360 are GAMERS. Aka, people who LOVE GAMES and want to BUY GOOD GAMES. The tie-ratio for X360 in US and JPN is much higher than any of the other consoles. Logically this means if they can just get the hardware into more hands while keeping the ratio, they will be selling more software than on any other system.
So people who buy PS2s or Wii's or DS Lites don't love games and don't buy good games? Interesting theory...

3rd parties have seen this already. Look at X360's support this winter in Japan. More and more you'll see 3rd parties moving over to the X360 and more and more you'll see consumers moving along with it.

I would really love to see your proof of this. Unless shit like DMC4, MGS4, FFXIII, White Knight, and other high profile PS3 titles get HALTED and made for the 360 you really have no grounds to stand on. I can't believe I'm even arguing this part.

MS didn't fail in Japan because Japanese people are racist against Western consoles. The average Japanese person doesn't think beyond "Hey, this system has cool games; I'll buy it!". A logo is a logo, not country/religion/whatever. X360 has stuttered badly as it just didn't have the games. But now it does.

Racist against Western consoles? Tell me, how many games did the original Xbox have that were made in Japan to appeal to the Japanese audience?

And while Blue Dragon is a good investment to show MS isn't completely retarded, it's just too little, too late.

Many think X360's lifetime track record in Japan is damning evidence that they'll never recover, but in actuality the track record is VERY POSITIVE due to the high tie-ratio software-wise. If the PSP had the tie-ratio that the X360 has it would've stayed neck and neck with the DS and maybe even taken the most software support. Same goes for the GC. Most companies would KILL for a tie-ratio that the X360 has. Moving hardware is not the big problem if you want to attract developers; moving software is and the X360 has that covered.

And again, for the last time, while ratio's are cool to gauge how software is selling in conjunction with the hardware, it doesn't have any concrete value.

Would you rather have a ratio of 5:1 for a system that only sells 1,000 or a ratio of 2:1 for a system that sells 8,000,000?

duckroll

sp0rsk said:
Oh okay forgot about lost planet (wait, is that this month?) Winning eleven already came out on ps2 last week brah where you been.

But not over Xbox Liveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Oneechanbara vorteX (BUTTS X BLOOD), EDF3 (HUNDREDS OF ALIENS), PSU (FAKE MMO IN HD)! Why do you resist?!!?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

uh oh...

X360
------
EDF
Onnechanbara
PSU
Winning Eleven
A train HX
Madden
Lost planet
Sonic
NFS:Carbon
Prey
Blue dragon
Fusion Frenzy 2
Zegapain NOT

PS3
-----
Armoured Core 4 (maybe!)
Motorstorm (maybe!)
F1
Railfan
NFS:Carbon
Sonic
Live 07 (cancelled?)

Wii
----
Bleach
Pokemon battle
Rabbits party
Mahjong Taikai
Monster 4x4
Carbon
Sengoku Musou Wave

i'm glad i've traded in my Xbot jacket - long live the GamePark!

Hero

Bebpo said:
Blue Dragon's job isn't to be the pioneer to show what 3rd party sales can be. BD's job is simply to expand the userbase from 170k to 300k and then overtime expand from that 300k to 1 million by being one of many games that will pile up and convince gamers to purchase an X360.

Wait, wait, what? Just a few pages ago you were saying:

Bebpo said:
Because having millions of HARDWARE when your games are selling like SHIT is not better than having moderate HARDWARE when your games are selling VERY WELL.

X360 third party sales are going to be > Wii & PS3 third party sales starting December and continuing until who knows when.

Maybe if 3rd party games weren't selling 4-9k on an install base of 350k, whereas games are doing 25-40k on an install base of 170k things would be different.

Bebpo said:
Notice how those three games are all 1st party...

Nintendo is not going to stop making games for the Wii. This is about 3rd party (aka, the majority of game developers in Japan) possibly making X360 their console of choice. At, which point people will buy the systems for the games.

So which is it now? Blue Dragon doesn't count because it's technically first party. But it's all about third party sales, according to you.

duckroll

Hero said:

So which is it now? Blue Dragon doesn't count because it's technically first party. But it's all about third party sales, according to you.

Your logic just proves you to be a HERETIC. Don't you see that? There is no place for you in paradise! BURN HIM!

ethelred

The thing is... Third party sales are disappointing as hell, but I'll say the same thing I said when the numbers were more positive and everyone was gushing over how the Wii had just secured complete and total market dominance: can't tell that much from first day (or in this case, two day) sales figures. That goes for hardware and software.

Console demand hugely outstripped supply, there was an enormous number of games available at launch (meaning lots to choose from) including four huge high profile first party games on the same day, plus a massive Virtual Console lineup... yeah, the sales suck, but we'll see if some of these games rebound and pull better numbers over their first month, and if future games that don't launch against such insane competition do better. You really just can't get that much out of this.

There are like 30 ****ing games. You can't rationally expect something like 40k for all of them when the system itself is only at 350k. Was anyone expecting something like 500k in third party software sales plus 400k in first party software sales with 400k launch units?

Though of course I really do wish Trauma Center in particular had done better, despite all the above. But let's see where it stands after a whole month's sales and I can guarantee it'll be higher than TC DS -- which I'm sure Atlus will be fine with since they're banking on the US sales for it, anyway.

cvxfreak

For the record, I think Blue Dragon may just push the 360 near or even beyond PS3 levels. PS3 has no games coming out this week in Japan, and BD is a pretty big deal.

hyp

rock on Bebpo! :) fight that good fight man, 360 is far from done in japanland.

if Bebpo is remotely close to what he's predicting, lots of crow eating to commence

sprsk

duckroll said:
But not over Xbox Liveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Oneechanbara vorteX (BUTTS X BLOOD), EDF3 (HUNDREDS OF ALIENS), PSU (FAKE MMO IN HD)! Why do you resist?!!?

Yes, cause even if you have live there will be no one to play with.

Oneechanbara is total shit.

EDF3 will rock though.

flsh

Banned
Why do some of you think LP will be important in japan?
It's a fast 3rd person shooter that looks like Capcom's way of making money in the US.
No doubt it will be a good game, but a seller?

Bebpo

Banned
Hero said:

Errr...where are you seeing the contradiciton? X360's 3rd party sales will be higher than PS3/Wii. I'm not counting BD in there, but rather EDF, WE, LP, etc...

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
Errr...where are you seeing the contradiciton? X360's 3rd party sales will be higher than PS3/Wii. I'm not counting BD in there, but rather EDF, WE, LP, etc...

I think Bleach and continued sales from the launch lineup can give the Wii the bigger slice of the third party pie. Nintendo's already gotten 78,000 third party sales on the first two days, too.

ethelred

Bebpo said:

FOR TRUE HILARITY

Bebpo said:
Yes, errr...let's base 3rd party sale projections and whether 3rd parties feel happy with software sales on 1 day worth of sales with almost no systems in the hands of gamers...

Yep! Great way to guesstimate! @_@

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hero

Bebpo said:

The statements you made in your older posts seems to suggest you were counting BD as third party sales.

Regardless, your self ownage is even more evident from:

Bebpo said:
Yes, errr...let's base 3rd party sale projections and whether 3rd parties feel happy with software sales on 1 day worth of sales with almost no systems in the hands of gamers...

Yep! Great way to guesstimate! @_@

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
dirtmonkey37 said:
Is Nintendo suffering financially in any way with this new console?

They're profiting on the game
Royalty fees on all the games (and they make a bunch more money on their own published games)
Profiting on all the accessories.

er... that holds true for every single console..

dirtmonkey37 said:
The console R&D, aside from the controller was pretty........meh.

no it wasnt.

dirtmonkey37 said:
So there's no way Nintendo will ever lose money on this console.

unless it bombs.. but i doubt it.

wartime1020 said:
Advertising and limited R&D is basically their only cost.

limited R&D ????!!!

what. where do these people come from?

Top Bottom