• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

duckroll

aeolist said:
Even though Zelda and FFXII are two of the biggest selling games of 2006 in Japan? And both are very involving 50 hour + games?

Huh what? 136k is the biggest selling game of 2006? It just got pwned by Wii Sports AND Wii Play. :lol

As for FFXII, that doesn't mean it's more profitable, or even close. The development time seriously undermined the profit value of the game, and it hasn't even outsold FFX. A real pity.

I do see a shift to faster and simpler games that sell very well. If a game like Wii Sports that probably took 5-6 months or less to develop outsells Zelda which took several YEARS to develop, what does that say?

Amir0x

Banned
I Am Error said:
Not to mention actually have multiple games that consistently show up on the 10 ten in sales.

This is what would have to happen.

"Today, Microsoft would proudly like to announce that we have purchased SquareEnix, Capcom and Nintendo - and all will become part of our amazing stable of first party developers for 360, Zune and Windows Gaming."

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
Can someone post some recent 360 sales numbers? I am very confused why its being used in the same breath as PS2 concerning the Japanese market?

Branduil

uncanny2ok5oy9.gif

spinningayufp6.gif

This amused me.

Busaiku

I think I'll up what duckroll is saying and say Is there a single console in Japan with a better Japanese-orientated lineup in December than X360?. The PS2 has dried out mainly, the PS3 hasn't started, the Wii schedule is empty post-launch, and meanwhile the X360 has non-stop games for Japanese folk.
Doesn't the Wii have Pokemon and Dragonball Z coming out within the next month or so?
EDIT: And Wii Sports and Wii Play will probably have great legs.

Ashodin

aeolist said:
I think this thread is evidence that a lot of people here have done just that
Pokemon will sell ONLY because the FRANCHISE itself is big.

Otherwise, other games are going to get thrown to the wayside

Mark my words, when BBA hits the Wii, it'll be a sales MONSTER.

aeolist said:
I think this thread is evidence that a lot of people here have done just that
This game shouldn't sell. It simply shouldn't. If Nintendo released a Wii centric RPG of Pokemon in Japan that was quick and fast with the same structure of a brain age, Nintendo might put several third parties out of business because it has so much cash in its coffers that they become illiquid.

Blue dragon is gonna sell like crazy. 360's ltd is 175k. So if Blue Dragon sell all 100k its still gonna be behind Wii.

I think all of these games will have legs.

But I predict for atleast 2006 Wii60 even in japan.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For those worrying about Zelda sales:

I'm sure the next Zelda game will be a collection of all the mini games from all the previous Zelda titles and will revive the franchise.

Ashodin

cvxfreak said:
Blue Dragon (the game, excluding the Core Pack bundle + other bundles) is above Zelda on Amazon.

OH

MY

GOD
Interest is high - it's all because of the Toriyama artwork - people are confusing Blue Dragon with Dragon Quest.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wikipedia says (uncited) that FFXII took USD$35,000,000 dollars to produce (yeouch!).

If it sold 2,000,000 copies in total (which assuredly it did) at 50 dollars a piece...it made its budget back.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Newzboyz99 said:
Can someone post some recent 360 sales numbers? I am very confused why its being used in the same breath as PS2 concerning the Japanese market?

from 10/23-10/29 week

DSL 158,681
PSP 25,908
PS2 21,832
GBASP 1,858
Xbox360 1,565
GBM 1,351
GC 644
DS 114
GBA 15
Xbox 7

11/6-11/12

DSL 148,174
PS3 81,639
PSP 19,123
PS2 16,157
Xbox360 3,864
GBASP 1,320
GBM 1,213
GC 496
DS 279
GBA 12
Xbox 3

:lol

Im not going to search for more the system is on life support in japan dont get how bebpo and duckroll are getting that idea that it's going to, suddenly just because it has a few good games coming this month, reach PS2 levels of success.

Hero

duckroll said:
Both points have no dates or even time windows, so why would they have any relation to the discussion about the very near future?

It doesn't matter about a specific date of either point but a matter of when it does happen.

Blue Dragon -> Oneechanbara vorteX, Earth Defence Force 3, Winning Eleven X, Phantasy Star Universe -> Lost Planet

That's the forecast for the next 3 weeks. On the PS3 front, it's just Armored Core 4, which is already announced for the 360 in Spring 2007. Are you really going to try and argue that the PS3 has a STRONGER line-up in December in Japan? :lol

I never said PS3 has a stronger line-up in December in Japan. However, thinking any of the titles you listed will somehow break the mold of the Xbox in Japan is even more ridiculous than if I thought the sun wouldn't rise tomorrow.

Bebpo said:
I think I'll up what duckroll is saying and say Is there a single console in Japan with a better Japanese-orientated lineup in December than X360?. The PS2 has dried out mainly, the PS3 hasn't started, the Wii schedule is empty post-launch, and meanwhile the X360 has non-stop games for Japanese folk.

I don't understand this "logic" of yours Bebpo. Your entire argument is based upon the slim chance that Japanese gamers will ignore every other system, including the JUGGERNAUT that the DS Lite is right now, to go pick up an Xbox 360.

Even if Blue Dragon would sell every Xbox 360 unit in Japan this month I don't even think it would surpass the Wii's sales for the first 48 hours. Why do you expect third parties to flock to 360 and not Wii?

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wikipedia says (uncited) that FFXII took 35 million dollars to produce (yeouch!).

If it sold 2,000,000 copies in total (which assuredly it did) at 50 dollars a piece...it made its budget back.

It sold 2,000,000 in Japan alone. Sooo...yeah. FFXII made its money back, and it's going to over again by the time it finishes launching worldwide

Y2Kev

Error2k4 said:
from 10/23-10/29 week

DSL 158,681
PSP 25,908
PS2 21,832
GBASP 1,858
Xbox360 1,565
GBM 1,351
GC 644
DS 114
GBA 15
Xbox 7

11/6-11/12

DSL 148,174
PS3 81,639
PSP 19,123
PS2 16,157
Xbox360 3,864
GBASP 1,320
GBM 1,213
GC 496
DS 279
GBA 12
Xbox 3

:lol

that's the next ps2

cvxfreak

Why the hell are people discouraged about Zelda sales? Kaze no Takuto achieved 400K when the GC fanbase was close to 2 Million. We can't expect anything remotely close for another few weeks or months.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Going from these early sales, Zelda obviously isn't FF/DQ level of selling power. So what happens if BD is? :O
The main issue is that the Wii is sold out. If people want to buy Zelda but can't buy a Wii, what are they supposed to do? It's clear that the majority of Wii buyers are the DS-crazy non-gamers who are excited about Wii Sports and Wii Play, so it's tough for Zelda to compete. Over time, I'm sure sales will ramp up.

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Oooh, correlation fallacy.

Come on, it is nonsense to link the games coming out next month with industry trends happening now, and SURELY you wouldn't be pointing to sterling 3rd party sales of 360 games in JAPAN.

It's not Brain Training! Took a while to make those games!

I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore. You're making it sound like I'm saying that everyone is going to abandon all consoles to go on the Xbox360 in Japan. Did you make a mistake somewhere while reading my posts and go confused?

I'm simply saying that no one should write off the Xbox360 completely at this point right now, because this holiday season is actually looking very good for the 360 in Japan. It's not going to do INSANE numbers, and I have not suggested such, I've simply pointed out that 3rd party support for the 360 in Japan has been GROWING, in fact greater than the support for the original Xbox.

And this all comes together in the next few weeks where there will finally be a major JRPG bundle which is cheap AND a momentum of games that interest the Japanese market AND have a brand name attached be it via franchise or via developer. This stretches all the way to Jan 07 or so, with titles planned for 2007 but less firm dates.

That's really ALL I'm saying. Whatever else you're trying to claim as "insane" is either someone else's post or your imagination. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Hero said:
Even if Blue Dragon would sell every Xbox 360 unit in Japan this month I don't even think it would surpass the Wii's sales for the first 48 hours. Why do you expect third parties to flock to 360 and not Wii?

Because having millions of HARDWARE when your games are selling like SHIT is not better than having moderate HARDWARE when your games are selling VERY WELL.

X360 third party sales are going to be > Wii & PS3 third party sales starting December and continuing until who knows when.

Maybe if 3rd party games weren't selling 4-9k on an install base of 350k, whereas games are doing 25-40k on an install base of 170k things would be different.

thefro

All those numbers show is that Wii is selling to a mix of people who own the DS and hardcore Nintendo fans.

Which is exactly what everyone expected. It's not just Gamecube owners who bought the system at launch.

cvxfreak

Well guys, this thread was effectively the dress rehearsal for the blood bath that will be the November NPD.

...and this week's true Media Create thread. Ouch.

Ashodin

Bebpo said:
Because having millions of HARDWARE when your games are selling like SHIT is not better than having moderate HARDWARE when your games are selling VERY WELL.

X360 third party sales are going to be > Wii & PS3 third party sales starting December and continuing until who knows when.

Maybe if 3rd party games weren't selling 4-9k on an install base of 350k, whereas games are doing 25-40k on an install base of 170k things would be different.
If Blue Dragon hits top 3 on the sales charts when it comes out SOMEONE TAG ME BLUE FRUIT :(

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
*looks at 360's sales*

*reads thread*

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Well guys, this thread was effectively the dress rehearsal for the blood bath that will be the November NPD.

This week's true MC thread will be nothing, just an extension of this current blood bath with extra rules and some new characters. A mere version up.

NEXT WEEK'S MC thread will be legendary on the other hand, and the NPD thread that his at the same time will destroy ALL previous incarnations. More characters, more weapons, more stages, and more violence than will ever be possible to fit on any Blu-Ray disc and goes far and beyond the CERO Z rating. :D

Y2Kev

duckroll said:
I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore. You're making it sound like I'm saying that everyone is going to abandon all consoles to go on the Xbox360 in Japan. Did you make a mistake somewhere while reading my posts and go confused?

I think my language is extremely clear.

The system will continue to sell, and third party developers will take notice that they're games have a much better chance of selling more units on the 360 than any other console, even with a small user base. Does that make sense?

I took it to mean Japanese sales, since we're talking about Japan. If you meant worldwide, I could understand that. I don't really understand why Japanese releases for this month would have any bearing on that, though (see below).

Your argument to me makes perfect sense-- we shouldn't write it off because the 360 has a lot of great Japanese-oriented games coming out. I just think it is irrational to extend it any further than, "There's great games coming out!" Japan has shown more than once that they just don't care...no matter what Microsoft does.

I'd love to be proven wrong and to see BD go on to be a million seller...or 500k seller...or 400k seller...

My overall point about correlation and causation is that you said, "They're going to notice this trend!" I said that's complete hodgepog, and you said (perhaps jokingly?) that I should consider the next month's lineup. This is an obvious correlation fallacy, as the two have nothing to do with one another. You'd have to agree that if I were to take your language as meaning Japanese third party games selling as a result of the Blue Dragon wave coming, games coming out this month would be a bit silly to link to this trend.

...and I don't even know why I'm arguing this ;)

Error

Bebpo said:
define 'VERY WELL' plz...

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Yep. Tales of Destiny for the #1 spot!

Good to see the Tales fans finally have something to cheer about after all the terrible sales in the US and the decline of the series in Japan :)

Hero

Bebpo said:

Dude, are you serious?

I'll humor you some more in saying that Blue Dragon will be in the top 10 for the week in its launch, but if you somehow think any other Xbox 360 game will be above Wii Sports, Wii Play, or Made in Wario, I can't even have a reasonable debate with you.

big_z

Media create doesn't account for all stores. There's some that dont take part that's where the left over sales figures are. Still the selling ratios should be similar. Zelda selling less than wii sports is sad but for a little extra pocket change i can see why so many picked it up. Wii play is a must since it comes with the remote and if nintendo had that deal here it would have outsold zelda....

i wonder if nintendo shipped enough zelda. i know at wii launch here in canada a lot of people went home without it since nintendo didn't ship 1:1 with store stock.

Haunted

bebpo said:
Maybe if 3rd party games weren't selling 4-9k on an install base of 350k,

2 days sales!=weekly sales

I'm sure those DOA (or whatever) numbers had a bit more time to grow.

Ashodin

duckroll said:
This week's true MC thread will be nothing, just an extension of this current blood bath with extra rules and some new characters. A mere version up.

NEXT WEEK'S MC thread will be legendary on the other hand, and the NPD thread that his at the same time will destroy ALL previous incarnations. More characters, more weapons, more stages, and more violence than will ever be possible to fit on any Blu-Ray disc and goes far and beyond the CERO Z rating. :D
TOTAL DOMINATION

big_z said:
i wonder if nintendo shipped enough zelda. i know at wii launch here in canada a lot of people went home without it since nintendo didn't ship 1:1 with store stock.
That is what I suggested like 100 pages back and people ignored me. :-(

I know in the US (well at least the stores I went to) they ran out of Zelda copies.

Solsc

This is slightly off topic but if
Wii Sports is ~47 USD and
Zelda is ~57 USD
Could this mean that some devlopers might start making low budget gimicy games trying to be like Nintendo (except for the fact they will probally fail at it) and flood the market with low budget crap selling at about the same price as a game developed for years?

Bebpo

Banned
Hero said:
Dude, are you serious?

I'll humor you some more in saying that Blue Dragon will be in the top 10 for the week in its launch, but if you somehow think any other Xbox 360 game will be above Wii Sports, Wii Play, or Made in Wario, I can't even have a reasonable debate with you.

Notice how those three games are all 1st party...

Nintendo is not going to stop making games for the Wii. This is about 3rd party (aka, the majority of game developers in Japan) possibly making X360 their console of choice. At, which point people will buy the systems for the games.

cvxfreak said:

At first I wasn't convinced about how huge the NPD would be as aside from 360 numbers, the hardware was predictable. This thread has shown that not only will the internet meltdown but brains will shut down.

*waits for someone to argue about PSP making a comeback in Japan as all sense is lost in this thread*

Branduil

It's clear that the best-selling next-gen console in Japan is going to be a Ham Sandwich.

After all, who doesn't like ham sandwiches?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
woa, there can't be anyone happy about THOSE numbers.

Nintendo maybe a bit pleased, but man those ugly

Error

Bebpo said:
Notice how those three games are all 1st party...

Nintendo is not going to stop making games for the Wii. This is about 3rd party (aka, the majority of game developers in Japan) possibly making X360 their console of choice. At, which point people will buy the systems for the games.
you are crazy bebpo I think the highest selling third party game on 360 is a measly 10k which is what DOA volleyball game sold. I could be wrong but who cares? my point is a system that's out for a year and yet it's highest selling 3rd party game hasnt sold more than 40k copies...

so suddenly games selling ~20k copies is VERY WELL, dude do you read what you post?

Top Bottom