• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:
My overall point about correlation and causation is that you said, "They're going to notice this trend!" I said that's complete hodgepog, and you said (perhaps jokingly?) that I should consider the next month's lineup. This is an obvious correlation fallacy, as the two have nothing to do with one another. You'd have to agree that if I were to take your language as meaning Japanese third party games selling as a result of the Blue Dragon wave coming, games coming out this month would be a bit silly to link to this trend.

I think they *will* take notice, there's no question of that at all. I think you put too much stock into how much "taking notice" means because I don't believe in sudden huge turnaround miracles.

What I am suggesting to you with the "trend" is that for the past year, third party sales for Xbox360 titles have indeed been better than expected considering the horrible installed base. Japanese developers have taken notice of this and have hence applied support to the system in the first place, support that was not even present on the Xbox itself at this point of it's lifespan.

If this support pays off, which will be likely if the Blue Dragon can improve the user base by whatever margin it does (and it will, the Japanese are actually paying attention to Blue Dragon and stores in Akihabara actually know it's a Xbox360 game they have to FINALLY stock) then any improvement in the user base will translate to better sales for upcoming games.

Is that so hard to understand? I don't believe anything for the Xbox360 is going to be a 500k seller this holiday season, but I think we'll be seeing more 50-60k games and games even going over 100k. It could also turn around and all collapse if Blue Dragon doesn't take off at all of course, but both possibilities are very real.

Haunted

Branduil said:
It's clear that the best-selling next-gen console in Japan is going to be a Ham Sandwich.

After all, who doesn't like ham sandwiches?

can't play non-games on a ham sandwich = FAIL

Bebpo

Banned
Maxrpg said:
If Blue Dragon hits top 3 on the sales charts when it comes out SOMEONE TAG ME BLUE FRUIT :(

I think #3 is very possible. Depends on how strong the DS games are moving since they like to tear up the charts.

I think for sure it'll be in the top #3 CONSOLE games and maybe even #1 or #2. It's only CONSOLE competition will be Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 (RGG2 will probably win) and ToD2 sales week #2 (BD should win) and Wii games sales week #2 (BD should win). I think it will be neck and neck with RGG2 for the top CONSOLE spot. Now if none of the DS games do above 150k, maybe that means TOP MC spot...but DS games love to sell very well in Dec.

Bebpo said:
Because having millions of HARDWARE when your games are selling like SHIT is not better than having moderate HARDWARE when your games are selling VERY WELL.

X360 third party sales are going to be > Wii & PS3 third party sales starting December and continuing until who knows when.

Maybe if 3rd party games weren't selling 4-9k on an install base of 350k, whereas games are doing 25-40k on an install base of 170k things would be different.

you are crazy. but i can respect that. Blue Dragon will cause a spike, but then it will die out.

Ashodin

Bebpo said:
I think #3 is very possible. Depends on how strong the DS games are moving since they like to tear up the charts.

I think for sure it'll be in the top #3 CONSOLE games and maybe even #1 or #2. It's only CONSOLE competition will be Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 (RGG2 will probably win) and ToD2 sales week #2 (BD should win) and Wii games sales week #2 (BD should win). I think it will be neck and neck with RGG2 for the top CONSOLE spot. Now if none of the DS games do above 150k, maybe that means TOP MC spot...but DS games love to sell very well in Dec.
JESUS MAN

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING

You are speaking to the world that the Japanese will buy a 360 game. THIS CANNOT BE THE CASE

koam

bhahaha people think 1 game can save the 360 in Japan? Jesus..

Edit: Damn didn't see those numbers, i should eat crow, the 360 doubled up!

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
you are crazy bebpo I think the highest selling third party game on 360 is a measly 10k which is what DOA volleyball game sold.

It sold 45k, and it's NOT the highest selling third party game.... but I think you already know that because:

I could be wrong but who cares?

:lol

And then...

my point is a system that's out for a year and yet it's highest selling 3rd party game hasnt sold more than 40k copies...

Actually Ridge Racer 6 has sold 67k, and it's not the highest selling title either! :p

pilonv1

Error2k4 said:
you are crazy bebpo I think the highest selling third party game on 360 is a measly 10k which is what DOA volleyball game sold.

RR6 is around 65k, and DOA4 is somewhere around there. DOA X2 did 45k first week, and there's a bunch of third party stuff (Enchant Arm, Dead Rising etc) that have passed 20-25k. Someone will post the rest of them soon I'm sure.

I could be wrong but who cares?

:lol "I could be wrong and that might invalidate my argument but I'm not one for semantics"

so suddenly games selling ~20k copies is VERY WELL, dude do you read what you post?

Again people miss the point of return versus investment that duckroll+Bebpo are trying to make.

Unison

Let's not forget that Wii is now officially the #1 next-gen console in Japan.

Let's let that soak in for a while.

:D

Ashodin

Unison said:

OMG 2 DAYS UNISON OMG 2 DAYS

You can't judge mother****ing SHIT because it's only been 2 days. Right, and the whole backlog of DS sales means shit? DS non-game lust has transferred to the Wii, plain and simple, NINTENDO MARKETED IT THAT WAY.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
duckroll said:
I think they *will* take notice, there's no question of that at all. I think you put too much stock into how much "taking notice" means because I don't believe in sudden huge turnaround miracles.

OKAY DUCKROLL I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE INTENT OF THAT STATEMENT YOU CAN STOP REITERATING IT NOW AND LISTEN TO WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID.

I just said you pointing to games coming out this MONTH and saying what you said is nonsense. Games coming out now on 360 have a lot to do with a lot of things, but not what you argued.

I AGREE WITH YOUR OVERALL POINT AND I STIPULATED THAT.

I know I can stand here watching you destroy everything I've ever known in my life, wanting to smash your face with my fists, because you won't make even the slightest effort to offer happiness and still know that I love you. You mean so much to me that I'm willing to take all your abuse and insults and insensitivity.

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
you are crazy bebpo I think the highest selling third party game on 360 is a measly 10k which is what DOA volleyball game sold. I could be wrong but who cares? my point is a system that's out for a year and yet it's highest selling 3rd party game hasnt sold more than 40k copies...

so suddenly games selling ~20k copies is VERY WELL, dude do you read what you post?

Uh, Culdcept just did 25k last week and [EM] did like 40k back when released with an even smaller userbase.

And if you hadn't noticed most of your favorite PS2 rpg series are doing about 50k at the start and have no legs. If these same franchises are doing 25k on a system with an install base of 1:100th or something of the PS2; what happens when the install base grows? When X360 rpgs start doing 50-100k first week...it'll be almost identical to the PS2 sales and only have room to grow unlike the PS2.

What a difference that second day made.
Here's Enterbrain (Famitsu) from day 1:
Code:
1. Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
2. WiiSports (Nintendo)
3. Hajimete no Wii (Nintendo)
4. WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
5. Trauma Center: Second Opinion [Caduceus Z: 2-tsu no Chou Shittou] (Atlus)
6. Swing Golf Pangya (Tecmo)
7. SD Gundam: Scad Hammers (Bandai Namco)
8. Red Steel (Ubisoft)

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I know I can stand here watching you destroy everything I've ever known in my life, wanting to smash your face with my fists, because you won't make even the slightest effort to offer happiness and still know that I love you. You mean so much to me that I'm willing to take all your abuse and insults and insensitivity.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Ashodin

Y2Kevbug11 said:
OKAY DUCKROLL I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE INTENT OF THAT STATEMENT YOU CAN STOP REITERATING IT NOW AND LISTEN TO WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID.

I just said you pointing to games coming out this MONTH and saying what you said is nonsense. Games coming out now on 360 have a lot to do with a lot of things, but not what you argued.

I AGREE WITH YOUR OVERALL POINT AND I STIPULATED THAT.

169007720_a49d3a4652_m.jpg

Chill dude

and wow, I never knew you felt about duckroll that way

Hero

Bebpo said:
Notice how those three games are all 1st party...

Nintendo is not going to stop making games for the Wii. This is about 3rd party (aka, the majority of game developers in Japan) possibly making X360 their console of choice. At, which point people will buy the systems for the games.

I hastily read your last post and skipped over the 'third party' you used since I'm still in shock over your predictions.

Even so, you're comparing the paltry PS3 offerings and the first two days of Wii to sales on a system that's been out for a year in Japan.

You still don't have any justifiable basis for third parties making Xbox 360 their next-gen console of choice. You're making all these statements on the hopeful wish that Blue Dragon will somehow reverse the past 6 or so years of Microsoft's floundering in the game market. And like I said, even if it were to light apart the sales charts and cause the Xbox 360 to completely sell out, the hardware still wouldn't even be close to the Wii with two days of sales.

Even so, you keep saying that third parties will develop software that sells in Japan, but in case you haven't been following these threads the past year, Japan wants those crazy "non-games" offered by the likes of Brain Age and Nintendogs. So even IF Blue Dragon caused Xbox 360 to sell out, and even IF third parties suddenly dropped their PS3/Wii support in favor of the 360, the chances of these third parties developing games that cater to the "new" Japanese gaming tastes are even more slim.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Maxrpg said:

Chill dude

and wow, I never knew you felt about duckroll that way

it's chapter 2. It's not my original creation! I stole it from seinfeld in which Nina stole it from Neil Simon. :lol

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Bebpo said:
Notice how those three games are all 1st party...

Nintendo is not going to stop making games for the Wii. This is about 3rd party (aka, the majority of game developers in Japan) possibly making X360 their console of choice. At, which point people will buy the systems for the games.

Yes, third parties will make it the console of choice when it's userbase is 1/1000000000th of Wii or PS3, take your choice. You're basing third party success for Wii on two days of sales and totally discounting the PS3 because of limited launch hardware and reselling. Screw ManaByte, you are officially batshit insane, dude.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
So it took Wii 2 days to outsell Xbox360 which has been out for a year and yet it's gonna eventually be saved by a title called Blue Dragon and rise like a pheonix and become the next ps2?? Am i rite?:D

Yamauchi

Banned
Now with all three launches behind us, the Wii is the #1 console in Japan. Also, three titles that sold over 100k. Wow, quite a turnaround from the GCN.

mollipen

You "OMG if you own a Wii you HAVE to own Zelda" people are getting really f**king annoying. Not everybody cares about the game, christ.

Dragmire

Wii's were in limited supply, so not every Zelda fan could buy Twilight Princess unless you expect the fans to buy it without the goddamn system. Wii Sports and Wii Play would probably be bigger sellers even outside of a launch, but it doesn't mean Zelda isn't big. It means Wii Sports is probably the next Brain Age for Japan.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Bebpo said:
Uh, Culdcept just did 25k last week and [EM] did like 40k back when released with an even smaller userbase.

And if you hadn't noticed most of your favorite PS2 rpg series are doing about 50k at the start and have no legs. If these same franchises are doing 25k on a system with an install base of 1:100th or something of the PS2; what happens when the install base grows? When X360 rpgs start doing 50-100k first week...it'll be almost identical to the PS2 sales and only have room to grow unlike the PS2.

Your logic here is faulty. Even if the install base of the 360 drastically increases, there is no indication that sales of those RPGs will automatically jump higher than what they sale on the PS2.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Unison said:

rodserlingdk1.gif

submitted for your approval: a graphically underpowered system driven primarily by games with all the depth of a backwater creek outsells all comers in its first days at retail. you might call this strange, unusual, disturbing, uncanny--we call it just another day...
in the twilight zone.

Ashodin

duderon said:
Yes, third parties will make it the console of choice when it's userbase is 1/1000000000th of Wii or PS3, take your choice. You're basing third party success for Wii on two days of sales and totally discounting the PS3 because of limited launch hardware and reselling. Screw ManaByte, you are officially batshit insane, dude.
I love how you're talking to manabyte but it's Bebpo

:lol :lol :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
pilonv1 said:
RR6 is around 65k, and DOA4 is somewhere around there. DOA X2 did 45k first week, and there's a bunch of third party stuff (Enchant Arm, Dead Rising etc) that have passed 20-25k. Someone will post the rest of them soon I'm sure.

:lol "I could be wrong and that might invalidate my argument but I'm not one for semantics"

Again people miss the point of return versus investment that duckroll+Bebpo are trying to make.
uh what point? games selling ~20k copies on is VERY WELL suddenly wtf? I thought 20k copies is an outright bomb. RR6 benefited from the fact that it was a launch game.

I didnt care for being wrong because why bother using facts against such a flawed thinking like that one. you telling me that suddenly just because of what? 3 or 4 good games that coming for 360 this month the system is suddenly going to reach PS2 levels of success thats pretty crazy line of thinking not an infinite amount of facts or whatever will make me believe that.

not when the system sells like 2k each week and games mostly do ~10-15k a week. plus people gotta take into account that most of those 3rd parties titles on wii are cheapo minigames I dont see a single high profile 3rd party game on Wii out right now unlike the PS3 which got RR7 which is a famous series in japan Wii got what? TC? niche game as much as I love it, elebits another niche game now if DQS bombs badly then 3rd parties are indeed ****ed with Wii so we'll just have to wait and see.

koam

Newzboyz99 said:
So it took Wii 2 days to outsell Xbox360 which has been out for a year and yet it's gonna eventually be saved by a title called Blue Dragon and rise like a pheonix and become the next ps2?? Am i rite?:D

No, it took a few minutes for the Wii to outsell the 360s LTD. I don't know why everyone is crying "2 day sales, 2 day sales". Do you actually think Nintendo shipped more consoles on the second day? Everything hardware wise sold out on the first day in the morning, check the japan launch threads.

cvxfreak

This thread is one for the archives. And I'm not talking the sales archives either. :lol :lol :lol

P.S. I'm updating my avatar :D

Top Bottom