• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Tried an old rasputin stout today. It was pretty good. It's like 70ibus so why does it not taste as bitter as say an IPA that's 50IBUs? Even my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was waaaaaay more bitter.

Roasted malt. It's a stout, that's going to offset the IPA-like bitterness you would normally get.

HiResDes

I love how Old Rasputin is everywhere and the pricing. It's pretty much my baseline for stouts, if something is expensive and isn't as good as Old Rasputin I vow to never get it again.

I found Old rassy at a gas station. $10.49 psssh...gas station beers are expensive man. Grocery Stores and liquor stores are waaaay cheaper.

riotous

Banned
Got bored this afternoon and started working on an app I've had the idea for; several of my favorite beer spots aren't on Untappd so I have to go to their separate web sites to find out what's on tap. App would eventually include untappd/taplister/whatever places but also random ass web sites with shitty HTML pages or custom tap list. Just spent a few hours on it and wrote some parsers for a bunch of local places. Obviously this would eventually all go into a database with accounts and alerts and all that jazz but for now I actually made a page that's useful to me. This basically makes it so I don't have to go to 6-7 different web sites to check these tap lists. Idea would be eventually users could submit links to bottle shop / brewery web sites that aren't currently being listed and I'd write the parser for them (takes a few minutes per site.) Right now I have a forced cache of 5 minutes so I don't end up getting my IP banned as some sort of DDOS bot.

http://chugchugpassbeta.azurewebsites.net/

Got bored this afternoon and started working on an app I've had the idea for; several of my favorite beer spots aren't on Untappd so I have to go to their separate web sites to find out what's on tap. App would eventually include untappd/taplister/whatever places but also random ass web sites with shitty HTML pages or custom tap list. Just spent a few hours on it and wrote some parsers for a bunch of local places. Obviously this would eventually all go into a database with accounts and alerts and all that jazz but for now I actually made a page that's useful to me. This basically makes it so I don't have to go to 6-7 different web sites to check these tap lists. Idea would be eventually users could submit links to bottle shop / brewery web sites that aren't currently being listed and I'd write the parser for them (takes a few minutes per site.) Right now I have a forced cache of 5 minutes so I don't end up getting my IP banned as some sort of DDOS bot.

http://chugchugpassbeta.azurewebsites.net/

Brew Notice is a great local app that has pretty much every place in Seattle (Holy Mountain is the only on your list that BN doesnt have) and has other cities like Portland, Bend, Eugene, San Diego, Vancouver BC, etc.

riotous

Banned
Nice, figured someone had done something similar.

I will take this as a challenge to surpass their number of Seattle locations by the end of the night!

riotous

Banned
That's kind of a double edged sword though; if they already have a web site they update and it takes priority they won't necessarily update some third party app as quickly.

Looks like brew notice is doing exactly what I'm doing:

Where does the data come from?
Our system checks each bar's website every 10 minutes. If the bar’s tap list is different from the previous visit, the system takes note of the changes to be sent out in the user's next email. When bars keep their taplist updated on websites like Taplister, we use their API.

That's kind of a double edged sword though; if they already have a web site they update and it takes priority they won't necessarily update some third party app as quickly.

Looks like brew notice is doing exactly what I'm doing:

Cool. I really like BrewNotice, it's very helpful when I'm looking for something in particular.

Chris R

Had two Austin beers tonight with my dinner. Thirsty Goat Amber and the Stash IPA.

Neither was terrible, but they weren't exactly stellar either. Hoping to find a better set of taps tomorrow and Tuesday nights.

I'm totally brownbagging New Belgium's "Shitty Mexican Beer" right now, and I'd rather have another one of these than either of the other two

Old Rasputin is normally $10 for a four pack here. :(
For the same price I can get West Sixth Snake Eyes, which is local. A bit heavier, but seasonal. Old Rasputin is an ole reliable you can find just about anywhere if in a pinch, which is one of the reasons it is so good.

Now if only their barrel aged versions weren't so damn expensive.
Only North Coast barrel aged beer that is worth the price is Old Stock.

Well, it's also one of the few readily available Russian Imperials left sadly, after the fad came and went. And it's a solid example of the style.

I see Parabola every time I go to my grocery store and think of you.

That sounded kind of creepy.

While I drove around everywhere in my area to try to get one bottle and struck out/got laughed at. I've still only ever gotten one bottle of it ever and want to try it again. Thought there would be more with the new small bottle this year. :c

Speaking of Old Rasputin, it pretty much is my gold standard. It may not be the beer that got me started into craft beer but it might as well be the one that got me super into it.

H3xum

Brewed a Kern River Citra clone this weekend.

Missed the OG by a bit but it should still come in at 8+

Have to dry hop for 12 days after fermentation....3 week wait before kegging but I hope it turns out!

Had a Zombie Monkey Apocalypse Robust Porter. It tasted odd? A hint of bitter, a hint of chocolate, a hint of coffee and a hint of sour? I kinda enjoyed it.

andylsun

Hops cut back and strings (well, twine with 44lb load capacity) up. Added organic compost from my spent grain compost heap.

Getting the strings over the 16ft bar required tying a heavy wrench to the end of the rope and getting my daughter (who has the best right arm) to throw it over the top. Bloody dangerous

I8YaIbd.jpg

v2G3Uak.jpg

Had a Zombie Monkey Apocalypse Robust Porter. It tasted odd? A hint of bitter, a hint of chocolate, a hint of coffee and a hint of sour? I kinda enjoyed it.

That's a fall seasonal that used to be one of my favorite examples of that style. They seem to have gone downhill on QC when they moved to their bigger brewery and lost their original brewer, and it sounds like you might have gotten one with a slight infection. Still probably the best beer they make now.

JLG-

They finally distribute 120 minute IPA in socal. Picked up a case of that and Boysenberry Wheat ale from The Dudes :)

8Rrax7rl.jpg

HiResDes

We're finally getting Platform here in Cincy this summer!

Also quick question for my PNW peeps are Urban Family sours worthwhile.

They're good but expensive. I rarely ever buy bottles and just go hang out at the taproom and drink them on tap. Their IPAs lately have been amazing and the people working there are pretty generous. A couple weeks ago I randomly got free pours of beers they hadn't officially released yet alongside a 4 oz pour of a Hill Farmstead farmhouse/lime radler bottle.

Mitch

Banned

Good to know that Platform distribution is expanding even further. This September their production facility off of I 90 in CLE will have a grand opening/blow out concert party. Gonna be sweet.

riotous

Banned
While I drove around everywhere in my area to try to get one bottle and struck out/got laughed at. I've still only ever gotten one bottle of it ever and want to try it again. Thought there would be more with the new small bottle this year. :c

At the more popular bottle shops it sold out in a few hours here; but the sheer amount of bottle shops, grocery stores, etc. that carry craft beer here made it easy to get. I live pretty far out in the burbs and between bottle shops and grocery stores there's probably 20 places that get beers like Parabola within a 15 minute radius in any direction. 4-5 of those are less then 5 minutes away. Every few months a new bottle shop pops up too; I get the feeling the bubble might burst at some point lol.

wasnt feelin this batch of Parabola.

Bravo > 2017 Parabola

I like it but have been underwhelmed in general by Firestone Walker the last year or so; Helldorado 2015 flew off shelves and was great but the 2016 vintage was not very good, and while I liked Bravo it wasn't anything to write home about. The XX anno was great though.

Yeah had it at Brouwers and they didn't charge THAT much; I think it was $40 or something.

They want $75 at Bottleworks.

Difference is Brouwers was charging for in-house. Bottleworks lets you take it with, and people are probably tempted to shitlord it up and trade/razzle that bottle.

riotous

Banned
Difference is Brouwers was charging for in-house. Bottleworks lets you take it with, and people are probably tempted to shitlord it up and trade/razzle that bottle.

Yeah some beers are cheaper at BW though; like the 2010 Deliverance was $10 more to drink at Brouwers. But like you said, less likely to be shit-lorded maybe lol.

Picked up some nice beers this afternoon, including a 2014 Sitckee Monkee, to give me a nice jump back in time for my vertical.

Also enjoyed both Silver Moon Brewing's Brokedown Palace and Goose Island's Lolita on tap, both of which were terrific.

Picked up some nice beers this afternoon, including a 2014 Sitckee Monkee, to give me a nice jump back in time for my vertical.

Also enjoyed both Silver Moon Brewing's Brokedown Palace and Goose Island's Lolita on tap, both of which were terrific.

How is that Bravo? Brown ales always seem tragically unloved by American craft brewers, at least on the west coast.

Jarnet87

I got to try my first Cycle stout. Was Trademark Dispute Red (Vanilla Chiles and Cinnamon). Guess I was expecting more with word of mouth on their stouts, good but not out of this world, I liked Hunahpu more.A store down here got in Six Point Puff and Lagunitas Born Again Yesterday, hope my local TW got some as well. Puff was fantastic last time around, will grab a four or two.

Top Bottom