• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

A few things I picked up today. I know next to nothing about this Kern River Igor Unchained RIS, brewed with Cocoa Nibs, vanilla, and Piloncillo sugar. I think it just came out? But it's a Russian Imperial so I had to try. A bit pricey, hope it's worth it.

qWjfad9.jpg

Mitch

Banned
A few things I picked up today. I know next to nothing about this Kern River Igor Unchained RIS, brewed with Cocoa Nibs, vanilla, and Piloncillo sugar. I think it just came out? But it's a Russian Imperial so I had to try. A bit pricey, hope it's worth it.
Mars is a very solid DIPA. Had it last night.

riotous

Banned
Found a new beer at the gas station: Mississippi Mud. It comes in an odd jug-like glass. Tastes odd.

I remember my Dad buying one of those when I was a kid (decades ago.) I can still picture the weird mug; like a dark brown glass jug covered in a lighter tannish label.

Edit: lol didn't know you posted a picture, when I'm at work I have images off

Welp, guess all my complaining paid off. Was going through a Wegmans and they just had some Parabola on the shelf. Years of hunting it down and trying to find the day it was going to be around and I get it from just randomly passing it by at a standard grocery store. I know it's nothing super special, and I've been able to taste it elsewhere, but it's got some value for me since I'm pretty sure it was the first beer I got laughed at while asking about it in a store back when I was just getting into the craft thing.

Also got one of those Mars. Was good.

Chris R

Finally back from Texas.

Best beer I had while I was down there had to have been from 8th Wonder. Perfect walking distance from the Astros game, and $15 for 3 beers and a glass was the perfect price. The non-IPA beers I had from them were tasty, should have known better than to trust a Texan to make a good IPA lol

Finally back from Texas.

Best beer I had while I was down there had to have been from 8th Wonder. Perfect walking distance from the Astros game, and $15 for 3 beers and a glass was the perfect price. The non-IPA beers I had from them were tasty, should have known better than to trust a Texan to make a good IPA lol

Lone Pint's Yellow Rose is a really nice Mosaic IPA. You missed out.

Mitch

Banned
Finally back from Texas.

8th Wonder isn't the place to go for IPAs.

Like mantra said, Yellow Rose is great. There are several other breweries around Houston that makes pretty decent IPAs and pales. Couple Austin and San Antonio breweries do IPA betters from what I've had over the years.

Chris R

Lone Pint's Yellow Rose is a really nice Mosaic IPA. You missed out.

8th Wonder isn't the place to go for IPAs.

Like mantra said, Yellow Rose is great. There are several other breweries around Houston that makes pretty decent IPAs and pales. Couple Austin and San Antonio breweries do IPA betters from what I've had over the years.

Didn't get a chance to try very much beer. I was driving to/from the game so I was limited to what 8th Wonder had :( And I was only in Houston for ~16 hours. Probably should have spent two days there instead of up in the DFW area. The other two beers I had were tasty though, and I did find a few more good Austin beers when I was walking around downtown.

Just not much time in any single place, hardly a vacation when you are driving almost 900 miles in 6 days :(

edit: I did have a Mosaic IPA, from Community in DFW, that was tasty (so was the food at the Alamo Drafthouse)

riotous

Banned
Going to Eugene this weekend for Hellshire Fest. Probably gonna do a few breweries on the way down.

Any recommendations?

The Igor Unchained RIS is quite tasty. Very smooth, big on the cocoa but it doesn't overpower it. The burnt sugar typical of the style is there, maybe a bit too forward. I'd actually say it hides the booze too well. I like the interplay of booze and caramelized sugar on an RIS, but the booze doesn't come through here. I'd love to have BBA version of this. I like my RISes to taste like I'm on a pirate ship.

Going to Eugene this weekend for Hellshire Fest. Probably gonna do a few breweries on the way down.

Any recommendations?

Like Manta says, Block 15 in Corvallis is great, as is their Les Caves location next door, which typically has an amazing selection on tap and in bottles.

North of Corvallis is the No Rails Ale House in Albany, which just opened, and has a great taplist and a bottle shop all in one.

Down in Eugene, other than Oakshire themselves, I really enjoy Beergarden and The Beer Stein.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Guys, got recommendations for interesting places for a beer enthousiast in New York? I'm spending 10 days in the city (flying there next friday) and I've been doing some searching but it's a bit overwhelming :). Be it a bar, pub, rooftop bar, beer garden, brewpub or anything in between.

Mitch

Banned
Guys, got recommendations for interesting places for a beer enthousiast in New York? I'm spending 10 days in the city (flying there next friday) and I've been doing some searching but it's a bit overwhelming :). Be it a bar, pub, rooftop bar, beer garden, brewpub or anything in between.
I was actually doing some research a week or so ago. Trying to find places to hit up if I ever get around to visiting NY.

Brooklyn Brewery
79 North 11st Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211

Evil Twin Brewing
446 Kent Avenue, Brooklyn

Finback Brewery
78-01 77th Avenue, Glendale, Queens

Grimm Artisanal Ales
http://grimmales.com/find-our-beer/

Didn't look into finding pubs/bars to hit up, though.

codhand

Evil Twin isn't opened yet, but Tørst was started as project with Jeppe (owner of Evil Twin) if youre gonna be in that area though, it'll be a good place to find Evil Twin and Grimm ales, or Spuyten Duyvil is the legacy spot with Fette Sau BBQ right there too.

andylsun

I've been informed I should trim my hops down to the three strongest/healthiest bines, in order to make them as productive as possible. Truth? That sounds pretty drastic.

Yes. You want to limit the number of active bines per plant and also cut back the initial bull shoots as they will have less cones.

This is just repeating the general advice on home brew talk _as you can see I'm only in my second year of growing.

Edit: I'm not that concern about maximising the production from my plants. If I get enough hops off each plant for 1 brew per plant then I'm going to be really happy. I'm sticking with organic compost and organic fertilizer, so already limiting my yield. It's more about having fun for me, and I'm also anti-green-fingers, so growing *anything* and having a harvest will be a bonus.

Yes. You want to limit the number of active bines per plant and also cut back the initial bull shoots as they will have less cones.

This is just repeating the general advice on home brew talk _as you can see I'm only in my second year of growing.

Edit: I'm not that concern about maximising the production from my plants. If I get enough hops off each plant for 1 brew per plant then I'm going to be really happy. I'm sticking with organic compost and organic fertilizer, so already limiting my yield. It's more about having fun for me, and I'm also anti-green-fingers, so growing *anything* and having a harvest will be a bonus.

Thanks! I have work to do this weekend!

This is my fifth year growing hops, and last year I ran into some serious aphid problems. We have lady bugs that just happen to live on my property (somewhere. we find them inside and outside the house) so that helps keep the aphids down, but I also had to use a mixture of water and Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and regularly spray the plants to kill the stupid bugs. I hope you don't run into this problem.

HiResDes

What beer should I tell my mom to grab me on her trip to Dallas that I can't get in Ohio... Was thinking just maybe Community's Mosaic?

andylsun

This is my fifth year growing hops, and last year I ran into some serious aphid problems. We have lady bugs that just happen to live on my property (somewhere. we find them inside and outside the house) so that helps keep the aphids down, but I also had to use a mixture of water and Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and regularly spray the plants to kill the stupid bugs. I hope you don't run into this problem.

I've been using Neem Oil so far and I didn't have any aphid problems last year. One application per week. See how this year goes.

AB-InBev bought Wicked Weed. So that's fun.

What beer should I tell my mom to grab me on her trip to Dallas that I can't get in Ohio... Was thinking just maybe Community's Mosaic?

Live Oak Hef
Live Oak Pilz
Jester King (if Dallas gets it)
Yellow Rose (if Dallas gets it)

I've been using Neem Oil so far and I didn't have any aphid problems last year. One application per week. See how this year goes.

I was doing that but the little fuckers didn't care and swarmed my plants. Still had a pretty good yield of cones, but it was a lot of work getting rid of them.

Mitch

Banned

Live Oak Hef
Live Oak Pilz

I was doing that but the little fuckers didn't care and swarmed my plants. Still had a pretty good yield of cones, but it was a lot of work getting rid of them.
Damn. Haven't had a Wicked Weed beer yet. They're just gobbling up these breweries.

Yellow Rose is in the Dallas area. Specs and Whole Foods may be carrying it. I know several places have it on draft.

thabiz

What brews did you make?

What brews did you make?

I donate my hops to local breweries (Fremont and Flying Bike) for their fresh hop community beers. I did a fresh hop pale with the Chinooks (my yield wasn't enough for a full batch, had to supplement. Making a beer with fresh hops requires way more than dried) years ago but it turned out incredibly vegetal so I now stick to dried hops for my homebrew and give the fresh ones to people who know what they're doing.

HiResDes

Live Oak Hef
Live Oak Pilz

Thanks man.

riotous

Banned
Thanks @distantmantra / @newdayrocks. Wasn't planning on heading through Corvalis but now I think I will.

edit: Only adds 20 minutes to my drive down there, NICE! I love some of Block 15's stuff; for some reason I thought they were in Portland and not planning on stopping there as we go to PDX quite often.

Other Half. Experience one of their crazy canned IPA releases.

Thanks @distantmantra / @newdayrocks. Wasn't planning on heading through Corvalis but now I think I will.

edit: Only adds 20 minutes to my drive down there, NICE! I love some of Block 15's stuff; for some reason I thought they were in Portland and not planning on stopping there as we go to PDX quite often.

Block 15 has two Corvallis locations: one downtown and the other right outside of town. The downtown one will generally have the better selection, but the southside spot is super nice and comfy.

Chris R

I've never seen 750ml bottles at a game.

I have partaken in a few 22oz bottles... not in the same game tho. More baseball coming up at the end of the month, can't wait to get to Safeco to see what's new this year.

Mitch

Banned
Jester King released a statement in regards to Wicked Weed's buyout:

This has been a difficult day for us. The news that our great friend Wicked Weed Brewing was acquired by AB In-Bev came as quite a shock. As you might guess, we've been getting a lot of e-mails, media inquiries, and online questions about what we think and what it means for Jester King.
It's no secret that Wicked Weed has been one of our closest friends in the beer industry. Regardless of what has transpired, we'll always consider the people of Wicked Weed friends, and want the best for them and their families.
With that said, we have some core principles that define who we are as a brewery, and those principles must not be compromised. One of our core principles is that we do not sell beer from AB In-Bev or its affiliates. We've chosen this stance, not because of the quality of the beer, but because a portion of the money made off of selling it is used to oppose the interests of craft brewers. In Texas, large brewers (and their distributors) routinely oppose law changes that would help small, independent brewers. We choose not to support these large brewers because of their political stances, and in some cases, their economic practices as well.
Because of this core principle, it pains us to say that we won't be carrying Wicked Weed anymore at Jester King. We think Wicked Weed beer is some of the best in the world. Their talent, techniques, and patience produces some of the most beautiful beer we've ever tasted. That, combined with their great friendship, is what makes this decision so tough for us. But like we said, our core values must be paramount at the end of the day.
We wish Wicked Weed the best, will deeply miss having their beer at Jester King and working with them on collaborations, and expect them to continue to make fantastic beer. Like we mentioned, they'll always have our friendship and we look forward to the next time we can share a beer together.

Cheers,
Jeffery Stuffings
Founder
Jester King Brewery

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Thanks for the advice guys! One Mile House and the Ginger Man sound and look particularly good, and are prettty close to other stuff I want to check out.

But uhh.. Other Half recommendation was a joke? :) I wouldn't mind visiting a brewery, but I'd rather steer clear of obsessed beer geeks gone full retard about limited releases. From a non-American point of view, beer culture in the US is already wonky enough.

Top Bottom